Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Curious Case of Dean Winchester (507)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Curious Case of Dean Winchester (507)

OLD MAN DEAN! — Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) discover a witch (guest star Hal Ozsan) is running a high-stakes poker game where the currency is life years vs. money. Bobby (Jim Beaver) sees the game as a chance to get out of the wheelchair and bets 25 years, but loses. As Bobby begins to age rapidly, Dean steps in to save him but also ends up turning into an old man, leaving Sam holding the bag for their survival. Robert Singer directed the episode with teleplay by Sera Gamble and story by Sera Gamble & Jenny Klein

POST VIEWING DISCUSSION ONLY
    Last edited by Madwelshboy; 20 October 2009, 01:10 PM.

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post

POST VIEWING DISCUSSION ONLY
    Hey, I don't think this has aired yet has it? If so, will be on it like a Demon to a Winchester!!

Epideme
    sigpic

Comment

Is that Chad Everett playing Older Dean? I wanted to ask that since I first saw the trailer for the next episode.

IHS
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iheartshep View Post
        Is that Chad Everett playing Older Dean? I wanted to ask that since I first saw the trailer for the next episode.

IHS
        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1507550/

Hes listed there as playing older dean.
        sigpic

Comment

awesome ep the loved the back and forth between Dean and Bobby. i figured either Sam would beat him or an Angel would come down and give him his years back
          Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
          sigpic

Comment

This episode was really great. Chad Everett really played Dean well. It really did feel like I was watching an older version of him. Great casting choice IMO.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Seriously. Sam got the clap.

I could not stop laughing, even when he went to get a booster shot in the end.
              Originally posted by Callista
              Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
              Originally posted by HPMom
              She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

I liked the episode, it was very nice played. Dean complaining about all the old people symptoms and Bobby constantly saying it's nothing. Very nicely done. And I have to say I wanted to do nothing more than give Bobby a big fat hug after the whole speech about how he feels he isn't a hunter anymore, poor guy.
                sigpic
                Awesome sig by Laura
                "We're eating stardust" ~Mr. R

The randomess that is me
                Nibbles Zane Ducky Pixie Ace Bunny Sally Hunter Kitty

Comment

I don't have as much to say as usual here. I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, but there weren't a whole lot of big character moments or story developments that need an in-depth discussion. It was just a very entertaining episode.

I must say, I thought I would just be counting the minutes until Dean got younger again. To be totally honest, I not so much a DeanGirl as I am a Jensen-AS-DeanGirl. So, while I feel Jensen definitely deserves a break, I wasn't looking forward to his dimished face time here. But the story was so funny and AGAIN with the guest cast, I honestly didn't even think about Jensen being gone () until he showed up again!

If I DID want to make this another long post, I could easily do so just by listing all the moments that made me laugh out loud. Great great humour. All of the stuff with Bobby and Dean bickering was fantastic, and the serious scene between them at the end was touching. And how sweet in the first place that Dean would, without hesitation, play for Bobby's years? I especially like how he forfeited 25 right off the bat, just to make sure Bobby was covered. THERE'S my HeroDean who thinks of family before himself! .

I agree that Chad Everett found some great characterisations to use to make you believe he was Dean. I also thought Jared put in a great performance here. I liked that he could totally joke about Dean's situation ("It's like Mission: Pathetic"), but when Dean was in danger of imminent death, you could see how serious he was in his playing. Sam's poker game was so intense! And I thought the coolest parts were that 1) Dean and Bobby trusted him enough to at LEAST stay in long enough to stall and 2) even better, that he went way beyond their expectations and won!

As I said in Fallen Idols, I don't think Dean treats Sam like a kid as much as Sam was saying in that episode. I don't think Dean ever MEANS to be condescending about it (or didn't until then ). He doesn't think Sam is stupid. But growing up, he was like Sam's parent and there are definitely SOME situations where Dean overprotects him and it comes off as treating him like a child. And I don't believe trying to stop Sam from playing had anything to do with the trust issues they've been having. Dean and Bobby, the 'parents' were just trying to explain to Sam, the 'child', "I know you think you are an adult, but you're still not and you don't have the experience. You're not old enough to play at the adult table and we can't take that chance." So it was that much cooler then when Sam proves them wrong! Like a rite of passage thing. And like any good parents, Dean and Bobby seemed genuinely proud of him for what he did.

Lastly, I thought Patrick was done very well. Some villians as pure villians are great (e.g. Azazel), but I liked how Patrick wasn't so black and white. He didn't cheat at cards. Sometimes he lost and in those cases he didn't try to welch on the deal. I loved how he said "Gladly" when Sam won and told him to give the years back to Dean...and he sounded sincere. And I thought the story between him and the girl (shoot! Forgot her name) was beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                    Seriously. Sam got the clap.

I could not stop laughing, even when he went to get a booster shot in the end.
                    Oh dear, and I thought that he was going to get some booze - instantly wondering why Sam would want something like that.
                    The cake is a lie!

Comment

I knew I was going to love this ep.... and I did..

After a few minutes of Chad playing Dean I almost forgot it wasn't Jensen! he was that good.

That card game at the end was unbelievably tense...with the shots of Dean gasping on the floor. Loved how Sam played it.

When Patrick was using his mojo on Sam I kept expecting Sam to use his own
                      demon mojo in his defence.....so now I'm assuming that he doesn't have that power or is refusing to use it.

It did cross my mind how Michael would view his vessel in it's more decrepit state.....I wonder if he'd be a bit miffed...
                      sigpic

Comment

I loved this episode.

Chad Everett was awesome as Dean. Funny.....touching.......loved the Dean/Bobby bickering. SO many funny moments.

Sam.......oh Sam! The clap thing.....*giggle*. I too thought his eyes would turn black while he was staring Patrick down over the cards. What happened with his demon mojo anyway......he couldn't have just lost it right? Or wasn't he cured when they put him and Dean on that plane in the first episode? Can't recall at the moment.

One more thing.....and I soooo loved this.......how do you spell "idjit"? I adore when Bobby says that.

IHS
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iheartshep View Post
                          I loved this episode.

Chad Everett was awesome as Dean. Funny.....touching.......loved the Dean/Bobby bickering. SO many funny moments.

Sam.......oh Sam! The clap thing.....*giggle*. I too thought his eyes would turn black while he was staring Patrick down over the cards. What happened with his demon mojo anyway......he couldn't have just lost it right? Or wasn't he cured when they put him and Dean on that plane in the first episode? Can't recall at the moment.
                          I think he used up all the demon juice on Lilith plus he was detoxed by whoever put him on the plane...it was only touched on briefly.

One more thing.....and I soooo loved this.......how do you spell "idjit"? I adore when Bobby says that.

IHS
                          If it isn't how you spell it...it should be..
                          sigpic

Comment

Huh? No one really had much to say about this one, did they?

Comment

Well, it had its moments (and some great one of thems) but to be honest, I wasn't too impressed with this episode.

Not that something was really fatal wrong with it, but I wished we would see more of the ongoing theme, and it didn't really fit into that. No Castiel, no Lucifer, no apocalypse.

The old Dean was great, and the moments between Dean and Bobby had me tearing up but the general idea was not really thought through. So was this he-witch a nice guy or not? In the end I had the feeling that we should get the impression that he wasn't that mean at all. Still he had fun in stealing years from people and though he said that he isn't a killer he did just that with the guy from the beginning and he nearly killed Dean.

All together: it had its moments but was imho the weakest episode so far in S5.
                              The cake is a lie!

Comment

Working...
                              X