Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mandalorian: Speculation/Discussion (please tag spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah that was announced at the Disney+ presser a few months ago. It's on the previous page of this thread
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Yeah that was announced at the Disney+ presser a few months ago. It's on the previous page of this thread
      No, you said "i guess..." i said "it will ..."

Comment

Some bits and pieces from an interview showrunner Jon Favreau did with THR:

There will be people who hear "digital production" on The Mandalorian and think "Great, we saw digital production on the Star Wars prequels and it didn't look very good." How is this different?
        Well, I would argue that the prequels are — and [George] Lucas in general is — the bedrock that all of this is built on. He is the first person that had digital photography, he was the first person to do completely CG characters. The whole notion of not having even a print [version of the film], of having everything be 0's and 1's, was all George. Not to mention EditDroid, which turned into Avid, Pixar was spawned out of their laboratories at Lucasfilm, so he is arguably the center of the Big Bang for everything that I'm doing. It's building on the shoulders of what he was able to innovate.

So the answer is this is 20 years later than the prequels? [DIGI: referring to real-world time, not in-universe]
        This is 20 years later, and also there's been a democratization of the skill set too. It's no longer a few vendors innovating in ivory towers, that information has been expanded and disseminated and democratized so that effects that would cost you millions of dollars, you can do it on a PC now, with consumer-facing filmmaking tools. When George came to our set and visited The Mandalorian, he said, "Oh, we did this," and what he meant was, “We had green screen and we were building small sets and expanding upon it.” Now, we have video walls, NVIDIA video cards that allow a refresh rate that allows you to do in-camera effects, we're in there taking advantage of the cutting-edge stuff.

You showed me some of the video wall work, and my first thought was, "Why the hell does J.J. Abrams go to Jordan?"
        Every film is a puzzle, and there's a freedom that you have as a storyteller if you go to the real environment; it affects you and the human element. When you see Lawrence of Arabia, how much of that is informed by really being there and not shooting it in Calabasas — I think you get a different movie. The way I work and the stories I'm telling are geared specifically toward what this technology has to offer, so I could not make Episode IX using these tools. If you notice, there's a certain look that the Mandalorian lead character has, there's a size that the spaceship is, there's a scale that lines up with the original trilogy. I'm trying to evoke the aesthetics of not just the original trilogy but the first film. Not just the first film but the first act of the first film. What was it like on Tatooine? What was going on in that cantina? That has fascinated me since I was a child, and I love the idea of the darker, freakier side of Star Wars, the Mad Max aspect of Star Wars.

People might assume that Disney asked you to figure out what Star Wars looks like on TV, but the opposite is true: You came to them, right?
        I wrote four of the episodes before I even had a deal, because I wanted to do this but only if they wanted to do the version that I wanted to do.

And by that you mean using the technology that you've been developing and doing it on the scale that you're comfortable with?
        I had been thinking about Star Wars since Disney acquired Star Wars. When I was working on Lion King, it was a full-time job for a few of the years, but there was a lot of time when I just had to be available for three very focused hours a day. The TV model allowed me to be an executive producer [on Mandalorian], which allowed me to, on my own time, write everything. It's a lot like being a chef. You write the menu, you staff up with people who are great at what they do, you oversee and help guide the people who are actually cooking the food, working the line, and then at the end, you plate.

So that's why you didn't direct the episodes?
        That's why it worked well for Disney. Plus, Disney+ is emerging and there's an opportunity to tell a story that's bigger than television, but you don't have the same expectations that a big holiday release has, which to me isn't that type of Star Wars that comes out of me. The type of Star Wars that I'm inspired to tell is a smaller thing with new characters.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Ming Na to appear in The Mandalorian

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2019...-the-cast.html

Comment

TRAILER!!!

https://twitter.com/themandalorian/s...57550523359232

Comment

It looks amazing. Finally we can see new worlds on the small screen too. But ....

I am not really sure if a darker toned SW will work with a larger audience. I mean we need good guys as the main hero, so it would be interesting to see how a merciless bounty hunter will turn to the Rebel side. And I have a feeling we will miss the Jedi-Sith duels too. They could have chosen some slightly more positive setting instead of the gangsters in scifi/western environment. But we will see I don't want to be too negative in advance.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                I am not really sure if a darker toned SW will work with a larger audience. I mean we need good guys as the main hero, so it would be interesting to see how a merciless bounty hunter will turn to the Rebel side. And I have a feeling we will miss the Jedi-Sith duels too. They could have chosen some slightly more positive setting instead of the gangsters in scifi/western environment.
                I disagree with all of this

Comment

It looks amazing. Finally we can see new worlds on the small screen too. But ....

I am not really sure if a darker toned SW will work with a larger audience. I mean we need good guys as the main hero, so it would be interesting to see how a merciless bounty hunter will turn to the Rebel side. And I have a feeling we will miss the Jedi-Sith duels too. They could have chosen some slightly more positive setting instead of the gangsters in scifi/western environment. But we will see I don't want to be too negative in advance.
                  its a big galaxy, lots of room for thousands of stories

and, its going to be part of a large family of sw's shows on disney +, i think it will all go together nicely. like the real world, the sw's galaxy has all kinds of stories from mundane to exciting, uplifting to dark

the criminal syndicates were key to the support of both the empire and the rebellion and then the resistance and i am sure, the first order

Comment

Probably we expect different memories from the SW brand. You know I am not completly against the darker tone, but I don't want unnecessarry violence. Not in SW. That is the reason I didn't like the Rogue One either as the mainmale character has stabbed someone in the back. Solo was also just meh with the crossing, double-crossing, triple-crossing, so I could hardly follow who fooled who and why. And now the Rogue One guy gets his own spin-off tv show, but I don't want to follow the story of a murderer not to mention that he is dead anyway, so even a prequel with him is unnecessary.

So now we have the Mandalorian... Booooring. Boba Fett and his son was okay. Then the political trouble with Maul, Vizsla, Satine and Boo was alright in Clone Wars. Then we had a Mandalorian character in Rebels. So could they not come up something more original? Something new... So that is the first negative point in my eyes.This scifi world offers hundreds of locations and races.

But it can be interesting to see the "civil" side of the galaxy as long as it won't turn into a heist series. I prefer exploration, adventure, heroic acts, spacen battles, ancient ruins, monsters, fight of evil and good. So if we can have any aspect of these then I will be more than happy, just I need to see more creativity and variety. Not humans everywhere. And definately not dodgy smugglers, assassins, mafia vendettas etc. But it looks liks we will visit new places, so maybe my worries or bad feelings are unbased. We will see how the show will play out, I don't want to judge it too harshly in advance.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

"but I don't want unnecessarry violence. Not in SW."

Necessary or not, death is death

I think you mean you don't want to see 'dirty 'deaths? like people being stabbed in the back?

but there have been plenty of deaths implied in sw'S

Destruction of death stars 1 and 2

destruction of Alderan

any destruction of any ship- large or small. a imperial star destroyer is crewed by thousands

part of the name is 'wars' so yea, plenty of death goes with that

Comment

Sorry guys, I didn't want to ruin your enthusiasm or hurt your feeling. I know how annoying is when somebody talks negative things about the things you like, so probably I should be quiet in the SW folder as a sign of respect to you.

Comment

Sorry guys, I didn't want to ruin your enthusiasm or hurt your feeling. I know how annoying is when somebody talks negative things about the things you like, so probably I should be quiet in the SW folder as a sign of respect to you.
                          no feelings hurt!

by all means comment away, just pointing out that whether we see it up close and personal or not, there is a lot of violent deaths in star wars

Comment

New EW article contains new promo photo of the Mandalorian fighting two Trandoshans.

It looks super staged, so I’m guessing it’s a staged photo shoot shot, rather than something snapped during filming.

Comment

now this is the real reason i came to GW, to be able to talk about SWs (and other movies /shows) with others who have an appreciation for SW;s stories that are outside the 'skywalker box'

didn't come to GW to talk politics, but got distracted in that thread during these lulls 'sw's battles' over there. Done with the politics talk, it is a waste of time.. star wars is far more important

and, i put up with this kind of stuff at other sites. it can't just be "oh, you like sw's cool, i am not t hat big of a fan"

nope, its 'i AM a true sw's fan and you are not,,,,all this made up stuff from books and comics stuff not seen on screen...canon?what do you mean canon?" blah,blah,blah

and yes, i am not a big fan of eps 7-9. more like i just didn;t think they are necessary. but i 'get' the story trying to be told.

because i say i am anticipating things like MANDALORIAN and KENOBI and whatever other non Skywlaker tale is to be made, i am some how not a SW's fan but a DISNEY fan

here's a taste...how would you respond? seriously, i am asking anyone for a real opinion cause i am getting sick of this sh^t

"Thanks man! I do understand rabid fandom. I am a rabid Star Trek fan (short of cosplaying). I have don the conventions, know every episode and character, how the tech is supposed to work, why the ships are designed the way they are, the various treaties and races in the quadrants, etc etc etc. But Star Trek does not send you on a treasure hun in books and gamest and stuff outside of the series (including the animated series) except for independent books, and those are not canon. To be honest, TPTB did actually borrow things from the fan writers like the full names of the characters (except Nurse Christine Chapel and Leonard McCoy) which were not written by the showrunners or Roddenberry. We have Tiberius Kirk, Nyota Uhura and Hikaru Sulu because of fan sources. Remember, the fandom had a very healthy relationship with Paramount until Abrams came into the picture.

Having said that, Star Wars was always holding to a different standard, based in fantasy and not science fiction, which gave them lateral space to incorporate magic like The Force, tech-ish stuff like lightsabers, Hyperdrive, The Death Star, Jedi wizards, ghosts Force Ghosts, etc. Lucasfilm licensed authors to write books for a high cut percentage, and incorporated some of the story into those books (to sell the rights for more). They created entire character arcs, planets, whole races, and a canon lore which is actually longer than what we have ever seen in films. But Disney literally killed all of that, and they are exterminating all the last remnants of pre-Disney Star Wars, and the rabid fans are seemingly okay with that! Star Trek fans HATE the new CBS/Kurtzman stuff and nothing will make it better unless they toss all the new direction and get back on track. However, the average Star Wars fan wanted to see their favorite movie characters and locales in the sequel trilogy, not new woke kids and gender identity politics. Somebody told me that the L337 robot was reans". HUH? Robots in Star Wars have sexes?

Back to the topic:

This Mandalorian sounds like Boba Fett, except he is not Boba Fett. My guess is that George Lucas has rights to Boba Fett's name, and Disney does not want to share. So for the same reason I will never like STD's version of Spock, why would the average Star Wars fan care about some generic Mandalorian who only dressed sorta like Boba Fett (along with his pistol) if he isn't Boba Fett or related to him? Don't they realize that Kylo Ren was supposed to be the new Darth Vader as Disney envisioned? He is so unlike Darth Vader that they lost any real connection. He is a fail. He will never be seen as powerful or threatening. Just pissy and magical and very emo. Lots of space soy in him there is."

Comment

The Mandalorian will explore the origin of the first order.
                                Here's the article.

Comment

Working...
                                X