Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Speculation/Discussion/Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Ooooh that's a good point. Picard and Pike interacting would be awesome. And of course He has a strong link to Spock and Sarak so it makes sense that he'd feel some sort of link to Burnham too who must be rather famed / infamous even in the 24th/25th Century.
    Enough for him to try the Burnham maneuver. Shoot the alien in the face first, ask questions/win the ensueing war later

They can't let her live that one down.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

New Season 2 trailer:

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It looks really promising. Probably they were listening to the feedbacks, so they have changed a few things. It can easily be the best ST series if they are growing like that. The first season has already set the bar very high, so hopefully they can beat themselves with clever story and character moments.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Get out.
          Well at least Voyager writers didnt need to steel the full story and characters from a 32bit adventure game.
          sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

I'm usually pretty good at deciphering peoples' complainey nonsense, but that one actually lost me.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Beware of mild spoilers

EW has interviewed Alex Kurtzman ahead of the Season 2 premiere:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So what’s new season for season 2?
              ALEX KURTZMAN: The fans have a lot of questions about Michael Burnham’s [Sonequa Martin-Green] connections to Spock. And my strong feeling was if we were going to tell a new Spock story we had to tell an unwritten chapter and fill in some blanks about his character that people may not have known. And one of the things I really enjoyed about my time working on the Trek movies is taking a look at certain areas that had been painted so broadly there was a lot of room for interpretation or gaps that could be filled in. We did that last year with the Klingon war. Why Spock has never mentioned his half-sister Michael Burnham is such a major question to anybody who knows that character that it felt like we needed an entire season devoted to the answer rather than just one small episode.

It also gives an opportunity to show a part of Spock we haven’t seen. When we meet Spock in The Original Series he’s more or less the fully formed Vulcan that he remains for the rest of his run; he has come to understand there’s a necessary balance between logic and emotion. The Spock we meet in season 2 is really not there yet. He’s experienced his event that’s fried his logical brain and his emotional side is not equipped to deal with it and he’s really struggling. The big idea was to say this season is about coming to understand that if it were not for his relationship with Michael he would not have become the Spock we know today.

EW: The ads very clearly seem to signal that the show is more fun this time. It was even put right in the Comic-Con trailer’s dialogue. How deliberate of a shift was that?
              Kurtzman: It was deliberate only in the sense that in a time of war [in season 1] it’s harder to find levity. Humor was there, but you don’t want to seem like you’re making light of something when people are dying all around you. While the first season was more about the Discovery bridge coming together as a family, in season 2 they are a fully formed family and they’re working together to solve problems. There’s more time to spend in individual moments of pairing characters off who wouldn’t have otherwise had that time together in a wartime scenario. There was a conscious choice in that some of what’s best about Trek is the humor. To me that’s what the nostalgia of TOS is about — watching the bridge crew come together as a family, watching them science out problems and the humor that comes from the dynamics on the ship.

EW: As the new showrunner, what’s different about your creative perspective for the show?
              Kurtzman: You’d have to ask someone else that question. I don’t know if I have the objectivity to tell you. What I will tell you is I’ve been lucky enough to work on Star Trek in one form or another for 10 years. I feel like we’ve brought a lot of the [big screen cinema] filmmaking technique to this season in a way that didn’t exist last season. But I also feel like we can grow the story in a way we couldn’t have in a two-hour movie. Humanism has always been a fundamental part of Star Trek and I’ve enjoyed spending more time opening that up that we hadn’t had time [to do in] season 1.

EW: Anson Mount told me it’s more episodic this season, less serialized?
              Kurtzman: No, that’s not true. It’s very serialized. There are no real one-offs. Every piece of the puzzle is connected to the finale, we worked backward from knowing the outcome we wanted to get to. There are episodes that seem standalone that are fundamentally part of where we’re going at the end.

EW: So the season 1 finale teased the arrival of the Enterprise. Then the trailers show Pike coming over and joining the Discovery team. So does that mean we’re not actually spending time on board the Enterprise?
              Kurtzman: Um…here’s what I can tell you. The show is called Discovery. So the focus is on Discovery. But anything is possible.

EW: Another holdover from last season is the theoretical existence of Jason Isaacs’ Prime Universe Lorca. Should we not expect him to show up this season?
              Kurtzman: I will tell you that you should not expect to see him this season but that doesn’t mean he won’t be back.

EW: Ah, okay. What can you tell us about Anson Mount as Captain Pike?
              Kurtzman: Anson exceeded my already high expectations of what he would bring to the part. He’s a delightful human being and he’s really embodied the spirit of Captain Pike. In some way’s he’s the Captain Pike of TOS and in others ways the Pike from our movies but he’s a kind and generous captain who’s always looking for the best version of himself and the people around him. He’s a wonderful antidote to Lorca in that you can trust him out of the gate but he’s got a tremendous bearing of authority.

EW: Our critic Darren Franich asked for more info on Airiam (Sarah Mitich), who he calls “the greatest background character in Trek history since the glory days of the Deep Space Nine bar.”
              Kurtzman: [Laughs] Yes, you will be getting a lot more about Airiam this season.

EW: You brought up the canon issue with Spock. Every time I see somebody ask you about a canon concern, you always give such a polite and measured response. And I always want you to say this instead: Franchise canon doesn’t actually matter. Because Star Trek has already been inconsistent in all sorts of ways throughout its long history of nearly 800 hours of content. What’s more important is to tell the best new story you can. Canon should be consistent within your own show, definitely, but bending a story over backward to stay consistent to something said in episode 54 of Voyager is nuts. Some fans will object, but at the end of the day everybody just wants a great new Star Trek show. So that’s my rant on your behalf.
              Kurtzman: First, I appreciate that you thought that, that’s awesome. I actually think somewhere between what I’m saying and what you’re saying is the truth. We really do spend a lot of time talking a lot about canon and there are people in the writers’ room specifically to tell us where we’re stepping on the line of violation. I did actually note at one point when I was asked about the graphic novels and comics that after 50-plus years it’s literally impossible to stay entirely consistent with canon because there have been very dry years in Star Trek and very full years and so many different writers have attempted to fill in the gaps in the dry years of what happened to beloved characters in the absence of a show driving those answers, they end up inventing things and we end up being faced with whether to call that canon. But it’s always a conversation.

I will agree with you, though, that the best version of the story needs to be the driver. But what’s the best version of a story is an entirely subjective thing. That’s why we have so many different voices in the writers room with so many different points of view. You want to write a nuanced story to get as many different voices as possible to represent how they feel about different ideas. A big part of my process is listening to the other writers. With Trek, you want to go out and beta-test ideas. But as soon as you do that you’ll get 50 percent of people telling you they love it and 50 percent saying you should be strung up and killed. At a certain point you need to follow your own internal compass, but you don’t want to do it in a vacuum — that’s very dangerous — so we hire people to express what they think Star Trek means, and where we’re violating canon and what we can invent within the grey area.

So, yes, we want to stay true to canon, but we’re also doing a lot of new invention that has nothing to do with canon. There’s a lot of conversation online like, “Why don’t you start with new things? Why do you have to look back?” And the answer is, “We can do both.” We have to do both. Star Trek has always done both.

Comment

Titles of Season 2 episodes 2-6 have been announced:

202 "New Eden"
                203 "Point of Light"
                204 "An Obol for Charon"
                205 "Saints of Imperfection"
                206 "The Sounds of Thunder"

Comment

I have heard some disturbing gossips on FaceBook that they are planning to cancel Star Trek : Discovery, so maybe we won't get a season 3 order. Is it true? Tell me, it was just a revenge of some unsatisfied "fan" to spread some fake news. I really enjoy this show and this is my first Star Trek series what I started to watch since the beginning. Everybody said that how much is it a flagship show for CBS, so why would they cancel it if they want to make so many different ST spinoffs too?
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    I have heard some disturbing gossips on FaceBook that they are planning to cancel Star Trek : Discovery, so maybe we won't get a season 3 order. Is it true? Tell me, it was just a revenge of some unsatisfied "fan" to spread some fake news. I really enjoy this show and this is my first Star Trek series what I started to watch since the beginning. Everybody said that how much is it a flagship show for CBS, so why would they cancel it if they want to make so many different ST spinoffs too?
                    While it hasn't been renewed all indications are that everyone is very positive about the show at the minute. The writers already have plans for season 3 and I doubt there'd be so much talk of the Section 31 spin off if Disco was on the verge of cancellation. I wouldn't be surprised if there was still some upheaval behind the scenes cos the show's producers have been moved around a bit. But otherwise it seems to be a bunch of malcontents spreading rumours. If you google Star Trek Discovery Season 3 followed by Star Trek Discovery cancelled you'll find far more talk about the former than the latter. I really wouldn't be worried.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Considering the Season 2 premiere gave CBS All Access its best weekend yet, and that CBS essentially paid nothing to make (at least) Season 1 thanks to the Netflix distribution deal...I’m putting the odds of cancellation somewhere in the neighbourhood of 0%

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        Considering the Season 2 premiere gave CBS All Access its best weekend yet, and that CBS essentially paid nothing to make (at least) Season 1 thanks to the Netflix distribution deal...I’m putting the odds of cancellation somewhere in the neighbourhood of 0%
                        As a contingency plan, I propose to get Bezzos hooked on the series, he can buy it back if it ever gets cancelled.
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          Agreed.

Honestly it annoys the hell out of me the number of Youtubers I see who seem to be perpetuating the idea that show is failing and will be cancelled at any moment. It's just this vindictive assault on a show they just don't see as fitting in with their precious canon.

Comment

Not a giant surprise but: renewed for Season 3!

Comment

I just saw. All I can say is YES! TAKE THAT, HATERS!

Comment

Report: Production on Season 3 will begin in July, back at Pinewood Studios Toronto again

I just saw. All I can say is YES! TAKE THAT, HATERS!
                                Ha, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X