Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Star Trek Ep/Movie Did you Watch Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TNG 1.08 'Justice' -- Oh man, whose moron idea was this? I can think of a number of obvious flaws:
    • These people are hedonistic children, so they're obviously not spacefaring. So where's the Prime Directive blocking them from interacting with the planet at all? Especially when the Prime Directive becomes an issue later in the episode!
    • If Wesley is on the away team, why does he not have a communicator? Shouldn't this be mandatory equipment for anyone leaving the ship? If it is indeed on his person somewhere not visible, why on Earth didn't Yar just have the entire away team emergency transported up as soon as she learnt the penalty for all crimes on the planet?
    • The 'mediators' have syringes on them....so they can execute people on the spot? That's a lovely sight on this little eden world, isn't it? So who's the poor bugger who has to clean up the bodies?
    • Ugh, too much freaking Wesley. Argh.
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 17 August 2009, 12:28 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

DS9: Fascination
      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

TNG 1.09 'The Battle' -- Well now that's a little more like it. This certainly isn't the strongest entry of early TNG, but it's a marked improvement from some of the trite to this point. Already, early in the game, we get to see a bit of character background development!

TNG 1.10 'Hide and Q' -- Q's first post-Farpoint appearance. Pretty much any time Q appears it makes an episode better, and this is no exception. Q coins the nickname "Microbrain" for Worf, nonchalantly dismisses the colonist crisis with "oh humans are always suffering and dying" before continuing to make his own point (I laughed aloud at this), and gets to wear various military garb. This ends up being a nice little examination and point on the validity of mortality and its importance to human existence.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Started into the TNG era last night. The first season's stardates are a bit wonky, but I'm going to stick to DVD order in this case; because if I did it by SD, Tasha would make several appearances after she's died

Last night I watched:
          1.01-02 "Encounter at Farpoint"
          1.03 "The Naked Now"
          1.04 "Code of Honor"

As much as I love later seasons of TNG....man, it's a wonder this show made it past its first season.
          Man, I hated Encounter at Farpoint.

IMO it's the worst pilot of any show I've watched to date. I still can't watch it to this day.

Just something about it. The acting seems like a joke at best, the pace of the episode is soooo slow, and it's really rather boring.

I agree, I'm amazed it made its past the first season. I'm glad they did find there footing in the later seasons though.

Comment

Agreed, it was a really really bad pilot episode.

Comment

Today so far....

TNG 1.11 'Haven' -- A terrible, terrible A plot up against a much better B plot--Lwaxana. Already we get more backstory on another main cast member, and the introduction of both Troi's mother and Mr Homm

TNG 1.12 'The Big Goodbye' -- There's so many weird oddities in this episode....
              - Picard calling a staff meeting to gush over the holodeck--shouldn't he know his own ship?
              - why did Riker have Wesley go work on fixing the holodeck? Isn't emotion a reason why he SHOULDN'T be involved?
              - awkward Picard/Crusher moment

That said though, good stuff. Established the rules of the holodeck, the first of many of its malfunctions lol.... And the ending is IMO the first time Patrick Stewart is really comfortable in the role of Picard--marching onto the bridge and defiantly and correctly delivering the greeting to the alien race.

Comment

Just watched the DS9 episode Our Man Bashir. Garak is great in this episode

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  1.06 'Where No One Has Gone Before' -- This has always been one of my favourite eps in all of Star Trek to be totally honest--completely bizarre considering most of early TNG was awful. Even though this borrowed quite liberally from TOS' 'Where No Man Has Gone Before', I think it does so very effectively. This is a great episode for really feeling that they're out there exploring the unknown and unimagined depths of space.
                  I watched it first run as a 7 year old. It was brilliant then and it remains brilliant now. It's an episode I never get tired of watching... despite being a 'Wesley is The One' vehicle.
                  I wouldn't say that it liberally borrows from TOS' 2nd pilot. The ideas of going to a distant place and being able to make your dreams reality are where they diverge, I think. 'Man' was about absolute power corrupting almost absolutely. 'One' was about realizing that absolute power is catastrophic and controlling that power for the good of all. In effect, the entire Ent D crew was giving the Traveller green.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

This evening I watched TNG episode "Frame of Mind". I always enjoy this episode.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

TNG 1.13 'Datalore' -- A pretty good introduction to Lore, and a good amount of backstory for Data

TNG 1.14 'Angel One' -- Oh, WHY

TNG 1.15 '11001001' -- The Enterprise, less than a year out of spacedock, has an appointment for upgrade? What the hell? In any case, not a bad episode. Some really interesting ideas here. Spacedocks obviously larger than they were in Kirk's era, the Binars and their homeworld, Riker gets a bit of character development here

Comment

DS9: Past Tense Pt 1 & Pt 2
                        People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

^^ Awesome pair of episodes

Comment

TNG 1.16 'Too Short a Season' -- A subtle condemnation of a Kirk-esque approach to the Prime Directive perhaps? I don't know.... I don't have much to say on this ep, positive or negatuve.

Comment

Conundrum. Lets be honest here. This was a pure filler (TNG had a lot of them) episode. A negative (not mention false) analysis is that filler episodes is of lesser quality. In honesty some of the best episodes produced are filler. And Conundrum is an example of that. Its interesting to see how the Enterprise D crew interact without knowing who they are. The end shows their inteligence is just because of the crew's memories
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

You can put on almost any random episode of TNG [s3-7, of course] and be sure of 45 mins of quality entertainment.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X