Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Star Trek Ep/Movie Did you Watch Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ST:VOY Year of Hell Pts. I & II
    Great episodes

Comment

TNG 2.03 'Elementary, Dear Data' -- This was a really fantastic Data episode. It introduced the Moriarty character (hi there fellow DS9 Superior posters , and featured Data as Sherlock Holmes. This is one of those episodes I just loved.

TNG 2.04 'The Outrageous Okona' -- This episode had a lot of fun stuff in it.... Okona was hilarious and perfectly cast. We get to see a young Teri Hatcher filling out a Starfleet uniform very nicely Data is hilarious trying to figure out humour and Brent Spiner really gets to show off his acting talents.

The episode is dragged down a bit though, by the fairly uninteresting love story and the horrible choice of casting the cosmically unfunny Joe Piscopo.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Hi, Digi!
        Not much Trek viewing of late. I'm working through my favourite Farscape episodes [and the 3 I have yet to see] as well as classic [pre-s8] SG-1.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

TNG 2.05 'Loud as a Whisper' -- I don't know why, but I've always loathed this episode
          TNG 2.06 'The Schizoid Man' -- Brent Spiner gets to flex his acting muscles a bit, some quirky lines
          TNG 2.07 'Unnatural Selection' -- Ugh, LET Pulaski die next time
          TNG 2.08 'A Matter of Honor' -- Fun, some real introduction to Klingon culture
          Last edited by DigiFluid; 22 August 2009, 09:22 PM.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

This evening I watched the first episode of DS9, "Emissary". I haven't watched that one in a very long time.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

TNG 2.09 'The Measure of a Man' -- While Picard's re-introduction to the JAG officer echoes a TOS episode, fortunately the similarities seem to stop there. This is the first episode wherein we see the command staff poker games, and Riker bluffs Data

Largely though, I think this episode was great because of its very touching subject matter. Trying to define what defines a person and sentience, it has all sorts of applications....racially of course, culturally, even regarding animal rights. This episode was also nice because it addressed Data specifically, and his role in Starfleet.

TNG 2.10 'The Dauphin' -- Bleh, a freaking Wesley episode.

TNG 2.11 'Contagion' -- Cool beans. Romulan Neutral Zone run-in, the Yamato being destroyed (how tragic ), and our first indication of Picard's interest in archaeology.

TNG 2.12 'The Royale' -- I always freaking loved this episode. There's something just so barren, distant, and mysterious about the whole thing.

TNG 2.13 'Time Squared' -- An odd episode without any real explanation....

TNG 2.14 'The Icarus Factor' -- Yeah....if I was Riker, I'd hate my father too. I did really like the Worf B-plot though, added a bit of depth to his character. Also....with all due respect, BEGONE!
              Last edited by DigiFluid; 23 August 2009, 01:49 AM.

Comment

TNG 2.15 'Pen Pals' -- I think this episode is a textbook example of just how much better season 2 has been than season 1. In an almost nonchalant introduction to the episode, we get some character development of Picard in that he's an equestrian enthusiast.

This is also a really good early example of the TNG crew wrestling with morality and whether the Prime Directive should be followed at all time, regardless of circumstances.

I also find this a little amusing because we see a VERY young Nikki Cox in it, long before she turned into the smoking hot eye candy she was on Unhappily Ever After....and long before she uh, ended up where she is now.

TNG 2.16 'Q Who' -- Wow, what a great episode. Q shows up again in style, and scares the crap out of the Enterprise crew. I think a lot of this episode is fantastic not just because it's the introduction to the Borg, but because it's also a great way of showing just how dangerous space exploration can be...the ending of this episode is especially chilling; the chat between Picard and Guinan where he realizes the Borg will be coming.

As an aside.... During this rewatch I've been having fun looking up guest stars to see if I've seen them in anything else. In this one we met Ensign Sonya Gomez, an actress by the name of Lycia Naff. Imagine my surprise when I found out she was also the triple-breasted woman in the bar in Total Recall

TNG 2.17 'Samaritan Snare' -- Eh. The shuttle ride conversation between Picard and Wesley was nice, but beyond that this episode was pretty....bleh.

TNG 2.18 'Up the Long Ladder' -- What a strange little episode.

TNG 2.19 'Manhunt' -- I'm not really big on the idea of a Lwaxana's in heat story, but Majel Barrett's chemistry with the entire cast is just wonderful and it's always nice to see her make an appearance
                Last edited by DigiFluid; 23 August 2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Nice to see you continuing your TNG watch/rewatch, Digi. It's surprising how much the show 'improved' during Season 2... thanks Maurice Hurley. Also, I thought I was the only one who really liked The Royale.
                  sigpic
                  "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                  DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
                    Nice to see you continuing your TNG watch/rewatch, Digi. It's surprising how much the show 'improved' during Season 2... thanks Maurice Hurley. Also, I thought I was the only one who really liked The Royale.
                    Just plowing through it Unemployment can be fun haha

Last night while the boards were down:
                    TNG 2.20 'The Emissary' -- Worf gets a little action, we get a little exploration of Klingon culture and rituals. Win-win

TNG 2.21 'Peak Performance' -- Despite the annoying Starfleet advisor (another Total Recall alum, btw), there was a lot of good to this episode.

I liked that Picard was very explicit in saying that Starfleet isn't a military outfit, that it's mission is exploration. I thought this was a really nice departure from the obvious military nature of Starfleet during the TOS era. Further to that, I think it's really nice that they're keeping in line with the show's arcs; that the reason for the ships engaging in war games is as practice for the impending Borg threat.

TNG 2.22 'Shades of Gray' -- Parasites invading Riker's brain? Let 'em, it might be an improvement. Frakkin' clipshows, man....

Comment

DS9: Destiny
                      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

And today I launch into TNG year 3....

TNG 3.01 'Evolution' -- There's a lot of nice little touches in this episode. The crotchrider uniforms are now out in favour of the two-piece collared one. This is a really nice, subtle improvement to the overall feel of the show. It adds a sort of maturity that wasn't there before.

Something else I thought was a nice touch was that the shuttle bay had a couple little alterations. The bay doors, rather than having an odd blue glow, are now translucent showing the colouring behind. There's also a large sign above the people doors indicating variable gravity. I think things like this add a lot of vitality and realism to the show.

This also dealt pretty nicely with both Beverly's return to the ship and with Wesley growing up--her concern over his growing up without her, worrying about if he's growing up normally. The conversation between her and Picard was especially nice; that each of them were probably getting into a lot more trouble when they were 17

I think this is a case of the episode b-plot being a lot stronger than the a-plot of experimenting on the exploding star. Except for it being Dr. Kelso from Scrubs

TNG 3.02 'The Ensigns of Command' -- Another episode that I don't really care for the a-plot....the woman was annoying, the guy in charge of the colony (Goshevin) was the most typical self-centred jerk. But Picard trying to figure out how to talk the Sheliak into delaying colonization--and then his moment of triumph, just great stuff.

TNG 3.03 'The Survivors' -- This episode just bores me to tears. The only part in the whole episode I like is when the alien being explains his crime.

TNG 3.04 'Who Watches the Watchers?' -- This isn't a bad episode exactly, it deals with a lot of interesting, PURE sci-fi plot devices. Buuuut....I got a bit distracted and was fighting with Visa on the phone off and on throughout so I sort of lost the thread. Oh well.
                        Last edited by DigiFluid; 24 August 2009, 04:45 PM.

Comment

This evening I watched both parts of TNG episode "Unification" with my Dad. It was on SyFy, but we both hate commercials, so I just popped in my DVD.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

TNG 3.05 'The Bonding' -- A redshirt dies on a mission....and it's not just brushed under the rug. The crew has to deal with the consequences of one of their own dying on an away mission. Strange alien angle and a little strange to see the kid from Robocop 2, but other than that a nice little episode.

TNG 3.06 'Booby Trap' -- Geordi begins his freaky holographic relationship with the rather frumpy Dr. Brahms....

TNG 3.07 'The Enemy' -- I really very much enjoyed how this episode explored prejudice. Even the more measured prejudice of the command staff was there. Subtle, but still there. Worf loathes Romulans so much that he refuses to donate blood to save his life, and the Romulan dies. Meanwhile...Geordi takes the first steps toward real relations with them.

TNG 3.08 'The Price' -- Ugh, Lloyd Braun guest appearing. Still, the first inklings of a stable wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant is pretty cool. And the sequence of going through it once it shifts to the Delta Quadrant is pretty neat too. I wonder, the probe that went to the GQ....whether it was discovered by the Dominion, or anyone else significant out that way.

Comment

DS9: Prophet Motive
                              People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

The Alternative Factor. There was never a worse bit of TOS made. Spock's Brain is Golden Globe material compared to this! The only thing you can think of is "Why are Captain Kirk and the others letting whichever Lazarus it is now run around and fall off cliffs?!"
                                sigpic
                                ~the guitarists~

Comment

Working...
                                X