Roddenberry's ashes to be sent to space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roddenberry's ashes to be sent to space

Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry will reach the final frontier at last as his remains are blasted into outer space.

A spacecraft carrying a capsule containing some of his ashes and those of his wife Majel Barrett-Roddenberry will be rocketed into space, together with digital tributes from Trek fans.

The craft will be launched by Celestis, a company set up by Barrett-Roddenberry in 1991 to take her husband's remains into orbit.

At that time, the capsule circled the earth for a short period before burning up on re-entry.

The couple's son Eugene said: "Celestis will be fulfilling a pledge made to my mother in 1995 to launch both my mother and father together, side by side and carry their spirits, memories, and the message of their life's work into the cosmos on an infinite journey into deep space."

Last month, it emerged that Barrett-Roddenberry had provided the voice of the Starship Enterprise in J.J. Abrams's upcoming Star Trek movie.

The Lost creator's prequel to the sci-fi franchise is due to open in cinemas on May 8 this year.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...-to-space.html

Wow...its about time, such a fitting place for the man to wind up.

Comment

Yes it is but I square his ashes keep on being launch into space.

Through I suspect most of the cast of startrek the original series will eventually be launch into space. It be fitting if all the ashes of the crew of enterprise were launch on a single craft. Including the creator and his wife.
      Last edited by knowles2; 02 February 2009, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        Yes it is but I square his ashes keep on being launch into space.

Through I suspect most of cast of startret the original series will eventually be launch into space. I be fitting if all the ashes of the crew of enterprise were launch on a single craft. Including the creator.
        Call it the Enterprise or go for something about more catchy and symbolic?

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
          Wow...its about time, such a fitting place for the man to wind up.
          A fitting place for both of them.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

It is fitting
            sigpic
            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
              It is fitting
              I think it would be very difficult to find someone who would deny that.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Very approperiate and fitting for the Mother and Father of Star Trek to travel on in Space.
                Lets just say Radek Zelenka can be my Mad Scientist any day!
                sigpic
                Thanks to Humanityspotential for the awesome Zelenka Siggie!

Comment

Working...
                X