Patrick Stewart on His Success in the Role of Captain Jean Luc Picard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patrick Stewart on His Success in the Role of Captain Jean Luc Picard

Telegraph.co.uk posted a new interview with Star Trek The Next Generation star Patrick Stewart and here are few excerpts of the article.

Stewart believes it was his years at Stratford that prepared him for the Captain Picard role. "One of the reasons I was so successful as Jean Luc Picard was because it wasn't ER, it wasn't LAPD, it wasn't The Wire or Raising The Dead. It wasn't naturalistic and it was heightened. It was science-fiction, space, set in the future. The actors wear funny costumes. I said to people, 'Look, it's because I have spent all the years I have spent sitting on different thrones of England and playing all these generals, princes and kings that I can do this.' It's absolutely true. I knew how to sit in that chair, I knew how to command that bridge. I knew how to talk to f****** aliens."

A homesick Stewart knew that his return to England and his beloved Stratford in 2003 would prove as controversial in some quarters as his exploits in space.

"The first thing I did when I got back to Stratford was Antony and Cleopatra, and I remember waiting to go out on the press night knowing that I was in a wonderful production, but also thinking that I had to prepare myself for a response which might not be supportive. Basically, 'Who the hell does he think he is? Coming back after 17 years in California working in the movies, working in television, making all this money and now coming back and acting Shakespeare. No way! You need to put some time in son before you do this... But thankfully, I felt a warmth and a sense of welcome when I came back."

http://trekweb.com/articles/2008/11/...c-Picard.shtml

I really do hope I get the chance to see him perform shakespeare live in the the future. That would just be the most awesome thing.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I have nothing but the highest respect for Patrick Stewart. I adored his portrayal of Captain Picard, and what he added to the Star Trek franchise as a whole. I wish him nothing but the best in anything he does.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

when i read that i couldn't help imagining PS's voide
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          I really do hope I get the chance to see him perform shakespeare live in the the future. That would just be the most awesome thing.
          It is, I saw his Macbeth last year and he was fantastic.

I haven't been able to get to see his current performance in Hamlet (as Claudius, opposite David Tennant in the title role) but I heard that the RSC (a) film all of their productions to keep a copy in their teaching archive and (b) have never had so many requests to release a video of any production as they have this current Hamlet, so... fingers crossed....

Madeleine

Comment

Doctor Who vs. Captain Picard. Sigh.
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I would love to go and see him perform live. May be someday I will.

He certainly one of the underated actors around but everything he does tend to be good quality. I thought he was absolutantly brilliant in STNG, and I hope he does well in Doctor Who, I hope they do not put to many start trek jokes in the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                when i read that i couldn't help imagining PS's voide
                same here. the only thing missing was a "Captain's log, stardate [...]" intro ^__^

Comment

Working...
                X