Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
    At least it still being aired even though its in the middle of the night. DS9 was Spike's first foray into the Trek franchise, they first started airing it in 1999 almost immediately after DS9 finished its 7 year run, that's quite impressive. It will be ineteresting to see if VOY and TNG are still on Spike after 7 years. Who knows DS9 might still be airing daily in 7 years. I have learned not underestimate the mighty Trek franchises ability to pull a big audience in - Not only is it the highest rated scifi franchise ever, its syndicated re-runs out-do any other syndicated scifi shows ratings.
    I thought TNG was on Spike first, heck, I remember TNG on Spike back when Spike was The New TNN.

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
      LOL, I see you didn't have any more luck than I did finding stuff (especially interviews) with Aliamo. He is rather reclusive and when he does talk he doesn't seem to have very much to say. Which is kind of ironic considering that is the exact opposite of the DuKat character. DuKat couldn't keep his mouth shut if his life depended on it.
      Tell me about it, there is nothing online or in any of my scifi magazines that has an Alaimo interview. Definetly a man of few words. There is a rather brief interview with him sitting off stage with half of his DuKat make-up - on one of the special feature options from a DS9 DVD Box Set. I don't remember which season off the top of my head. I know you have all the seasons on DVD so you might want to look there.
      Originally posted by USS Defiant
      Did you ever get a chance to meet or hear him speak at all those Trek conventions you and Starbase used to attend?.
      I do remember him at one of the conventions where he appeared with Casey Biggs (Damar) and
      Andrew J. Robinson (Garak). They billed the area where they were sitting to sign autographs and pictures as Cardassia Prime. He didn't speak and I didn't get an autograph (I'm not into autographs) but the line to meet and greet those 3 was the biggest at that show.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

At least it still being aired even though its in the middle of the night. DS9 was Spike's first foray into the Trek franchise, they first started airing it in 1999 almost immediately after DS9 finished its 7 year run, that's quite impressive. It will be ineteresting to see if VOY and TNG are still on Spike after 7 years. Who knows DS9 might still be airing daily in 7 years. I have learned not underestimate the mighty Trek franchises ability to pull a big audience in - Not only is it the highest rated scifi franchise ever, its syndicated re-runs out-do any other syndicated scifi shows ratings.
        Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
        Argh, yes. I noticed that it was on at 11:30 the other night here.....but I was too tired to stay up.
        Originally posted by Captain Davis View Post
        I thought TNG was on Spike first, heck, I remember TNG on Spike back when Spike was The New TNN.
        Oh yeah I remember TNN (the nashville network, I think). I agree with starbase that DS9 obviously has consistantly good appeal since it is always being aired somewhere. I think that can hold true for many scifi shows. "Current" shows often look dated after 4 or 5 years in reruns. Scifi/ fantasy can be shown over and over and not be considered "old news". TOS was regularly airing on tv into the 90's. there are a couple of local stations that still air it here in indy.

I too find it amusing that Marc Aliamo is reclusive, isn't that unusual for an actor? most of them are of the "look at me!" attitude.

Comment

This is absolutely fantastic- DS9 with BSG style credits (music, text, etc.). Absolutely beautiful, and I think the music and credit style fit DS9 perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYduv...related&search=

Comment

Argh, yes. I noticed that it was on at 11:30 the other night here.....but I was too tired to stay up.
            It is on at 3:00 a.m. now here.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
              Excellent, thank's for the heads up. I would love to see the story continue, especially if Johnson gets free creative rein on the storyline.
              You may also be pleased to learn that Marc Singer will also be reprising his role as Mike Donovan, along with Jane Badler, and Faye Grant.

Here is a direct quote from the following link below:

Marc Singer stars in new "V" miniseries
              Sources say it's been stalled by the network and is not coming out until 2007, but you never know, with these things ... The newest installment in the "V" alien saga, "V: The Second Generation," is going to star Marc Singer, our own Matt Cantrell of "Dallas" (and a star of many, many other productions over the years). Directed and written by Kenneth Johnson, the miniseries is designed as a sequel to the popular 1983-84 sci-fi miniseries. The plotline from the IMDb: "Twenty years after their arrival on Earth, the Visitors have deeply entrenched themselves on the planet, enslaving the human race, turning them into followers. The Resistance is losing the war with their alien masters until they gain a powerful and mysterious new ally." Singer reprises the role of Mike Donovan and is joined by former "V" castmates Jane Badler and Faye Grant.

The link is right here and you'll have to scroll all the way down till the bottom of the page to see the article:

http://brbtv.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_archive.html

P.S. The article is a little old but the actors have signed onboard!
              Last edited by Whitestar; 07 June 2007, 07:56 PM.
              Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                Oh yeah I remember TNN (the nashville network, I think). I agree with starbase that DS9 obviously has consistantly good appeal since it is always being aired somewhere. I think that can hold true for many scifi shows. "Current" shows often look dated after 4 or 5 years in reruns. Scifi/ fantasy can be shown over and over and not be considered "old news". TOS was regularly airing on tv into the 90's. there are a couple of local stations that still air it here in indy.
                That's right it was called The Nashville Network originally, then they switched to The National Network and took on the WWF's Raw is War wrestling show and instantly became a big time cable network. Then a few years back it became Spike, where they used the very tacky slogan - A Network for Men.

Most modern Scifi shows starting with TNG, had special effects that are good enough that they still stand up today. And with most scifi storylines being set in the future, the 24th century makes for something that is not dated, literally.

We also have a handful of local networks here is the San Francisco Bay Area that have continously broadcast episodes of DS9, TNG, VOY, TOS and now ENT, usually late at night or on the weekends. Fifth Race said it right 'Star Trek has the best pulling power of any of the syndicated scifi shows'. Stargate does quite well with syndication as well.

Originally posted by Rac80
                I too find it amusing that Marc Aliamo is reclusive, isn't that unusual for an actor? most of them are of the "look at me!" attitude.
                Very unusual indeed Lady Rac. After USS Defiant and Fifth Race started talking about this a couple of days ago, I did some research into finding out as much as I could about Marc Alaimo, especially his time on TNG and DS9. There just isn't much out there, even his biography is rather lacking in basic information. And forget about finding any detailed interviews where he talks about anything, let alone Star Trek, there just not there.

Like USS Defiant suggested "It is kind of ironic" that Alaimo is the polar opposite of the bombastic DuKat character.

Comment

This is absolutely fantastic- DS9 with BSG style credits (music, text, etc.). Absolutely beautiful, and I think the music and credit style fit DS9 perfectly.

That was brilliant and thank's for posting it Trek_Girl, I am not ashamed that some these great YouTube Trek/Scifi dedicated clips almost bring a tear to my eye. Maybe not quite tears, but they sure do create a postive emotional response. That one, in particular, was very well done by someone who is of our brethren.

Please post anymore of those nuggets if you come across them, thank's.

Originally posted by Kliggins
                  It is on at 3:00 a.m. now here.
                  I guess it's better than not at all. All I got to say to anyone who has to deal with this kind of stuff. - Buy a Tivo DVR Box,the best invention ever for the television. It makes recording and and saving up to 500 hours of recorded programming as easy as using a microwave. I put all my favorite shows on a feature they call 'Season Pass' where they are recorded every week for as long as you want, and you only need to pre-set it once. Tivo makes life so damn easy while never having to worry about missing a single minute of what you like to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitestar View Post
                    You may also be pleased to learn that Marc Singer will also be reprising his role as Mike Donovan, along with Jane Badler, and Faye Grant.

Here is a direct quote from the following link below:

Marc Singer stars in new "V" miniseries
                    Sources say it's been stalled by the network and is not coming out until 2007, but you never know, with these things ... The newest installment in the "V" alien saga, "V: The Second Generation," is going to star Marc Singer, our own Matt Cantrell of "Dallas" (and a star of many, many other productions over the years). Directed and written by Kenneth Johnson, the miniseries is designed as a sequel to the popular 1983-84 sci-fi miniseries. The plotline from the IMDb: "Twenty years after their arrival on Earth, the Visitors have deeply entrenched themselves on the planet, enslaving the human race, turning them into followers. The Resistance is losing the war with their alien masters until they gain a powerful and mysterious new ally." Singer reprises the role of Mike Donovan and is joined by former "V" castmates Jane Badler and Faye Grant.

The link is right here and you'll have to scroll all the way down till the bottom of the page to see the article:

http://brbtv.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_archive.html

P.S. The article is a little old but the actors have signed onboard!
                    Sweet!, is this new V series going to aired in primetime on NBC, or is it going to elsewhere?.

That BRBTV link you provided was chalk full of daytime and nighttime soap opera actors and what they working these days. Brought back some memories Whitestar, thank's.
                    The USS Defiant Rocks!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

We have a local network (KBHK) that used to be the UPN network, then it was the WB network not its the CW network next week it will be WHTEVR (whatever) network. They have aired all the various Star Trek series on late night weekends ever since they started syndicating. I guess this is very common with local affiliates all around the US, Canada and in the UK, if not the whole world.
                      Originally posted by Rac80
                      I have no idea what the deal is with Alaimo. Maybe he is one of those reclusive/genius type actors that doesn't believe in self promotion or sharing anything about there personal lives with the outside world. I can respect that. I will keep digging to find (if it exists) something where he talks about DS9 in detail.
                      Brillianty made fan clip!. From the great BSG music to the various DS9 clips they chose, simply wonderful. And like you said Lady Trek "the music and credit style fit DS9 perfectly". I bet Ronald D Moore would love that.

Feel free to post up any scifi YouTube clips you like. I love them all.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

All I got to say to anyone who has to deal with this kind of stuff. - Buy a Tivo DVR Box,the best invention ever for the television. It makes recording and and saving up to 500 hours of recorded programming as easy as using a microwave. I put all my favorite shows on a feature they call 'Season Pass' where they are recorded every week for as long as you want, and you only need to pre-set it once. Tivo makes life so damn easy while never having to worry about missing a single minute of what you like to watch.
                        HA! you guys love your "gadgets and gizmos" don't you? (I learned the history of the word "gadget", it stems from the donation of the Statue of Liberty to the USA. A french company called Gaget, Gauthier & Cie, which cast the statue, made small copies of it for sale as souveniers. People called them a "gadget", mutilating french as only americans can .... very funny!) that is my contribution today

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                          We have a local network (KBHK) that used to be the UPN network, then it was the WB network not its the CW network next week it will be WHTEVR (whatever) network. They have aired all the various Star Trek series on late night weekends ever since they started syndicating. I guess this is very common with local affiliates all around the US, Canada and in the UK, if not the whole world.

I have no idea what the deal is with Alaimo. Maybe he is one of those reclusive/genius type actors that doesn't believe in self promotion or sharing anything about there personal lives with the outside world. I can respect that. I will keep digging to find (if it exists) something where he talks about DS9 in detail.

Brillianty made fan clip!. From the great BSG music to the various DS9 clips they chose, simply wonderful. And like you said Lady Trek "the music and credit style fit DS9 perfectly". I bet Ronald D Moore would love that.

Feel free to post up any scifi YouTube clips you like. I love them all.
                          One can spend hours going through them all..... It inspired me to try making some BSG credits of my own set to the Angel theme using some video that's been sitting on my computer.....Unfortunately my computer is utter crap so it's a very slow, and frustrating process that has not yeilded the desireable results.

Funny what you say about CW, sadly, I don't think ours airs any Star Trek aside from the remastered TOS, which I ashamedly haven't gotten around to watching beyond the first ep (which I thought was very well done). They show Farscape, but rather sporadically, so I kinda gave up on them......honestly they piss me off so much that the only thing I watch on that channel any more is Veronica Mars repeats. Has anyone here kept up with the remastered Trek, and what do you guys think of it? Are there best episodes? Worst?

Comment

HA! you guys love your "gadgets and gizmos" don't you? (I learned the history of the word "gadget", it stems from the donation of the Statue of Liberty to the USA. A french company called Gaget, Gauthier & Cie, which cast the statue, made small copies of it for sale as souveniers. People called them a "gadget", mutilating french as only americans can .... very funny!) that is my contribution today
                            LOL, anytime you can make mention of the anything French being mutilated, you have made my day. Just kidding, I love the French, as long as there is French cuisine. I never really had an apprecition for the French until I visited Paris as part of my honeymoon awhile back. Sure they were rude and quite snobbish, but not completely without charm.

Comment

One can spend hours going through them all..... It inspired me to try making some BSG credits of my own set to the Angel theme using some video that's been sitting on my computer.....Unfortunately my computer is utter crap so it's a very slow, and frustrating process that has not yeilded the desireable results.
                              Great find none the less Trek_Girl. We got to get your parents to kick in for a cable or DSL hook-up. It sure enhances your whole internet experience.
                              Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                              Funny what you say about CW, sadly, I don't think ours airs any Star Trek aside from the remastered TOS, which I ashamedly haven't gotten around to watching beyond the first ep (which I thought was very well done). They show Farscape, but rather sporadically, so I kinda gave up on them......honestly they piss me off so much that the only thing I watch on that channel any more is Veronica Mars repeats. Has anyone here kept up with the remastered Trek, and what do you guys think of it? Are there best episodes? Worst?
                              The only thing I tune in to the CW for is Supernatural, and even that grew kind of old already.

I'll be honest with you - As much as I appreciate TOS and what it meant to everything that is modern scifi today, I find most of it rather un-watchable. A lot of this is due to the cheesy and over the top acting, crappy special effects and stage set-ups that are straight out of a local theatre's production. But the biggest reason why, most likely has to do with being a big TNG, DS9, VOY & ENT fan, which makes TOS pale in comparison.

That being said, I do have a few favorite TOS episodes I will share:
                              1) The City on the Edge of Forever
                              2) The Trouble With Tribbles
                              3) The Doomsday Machine
                              4) Tomorrow is Yesterday
                              5) The Cage
                              6) Balance of Terror
                              7) Amok Time
                              8) Mirror Mirror
                              9) Assignment Earth
                              10) The Changeling

Comment

I'll be honest with you - As much as I appreciate TOS and what it meant to everything that is modern scifi today, I find most of it rather un-watchable. A lot of this is due to the cheesy and over the top acting, crappy special effects and stage set-ups that are straight out of a local theatre's production. But the biggest reason why, most likely has to do with being a big TNG, DS9, VOY & ENT fan, which makes TOS pale in comparison.
                                Very well said brother Base. I used to love TOS as a kid - I used to stay up late while sneaking my little 10" black and white television in bed and watching TOS five nights a week. But as a huge fan of modern day Star Trek, I too, have a hard time watching any TOS these days.
                                Originally posted by Starbase
                                That being said, I do have a few favorite TOS episodes I will share:
                                1) The City on the Edge of Forever
                                2) The Trouble With Tribbles
                                3) The Doomsday Machine
                                4) Tomorrow is Yesterday
                                5) The Cage
                                6) Balance of Terror
                                7) Amok Time
                                8) Mirror Mirror
                                9) Assignment Earth
                                10) The Changeling
                                Great list my friend. I agree with all of those choice, especially The Doomsday Machine, Trouble with Tribbles, The Cage, Amok Time and Mirrior Mirror.
                                The USS Defiant Rocks!
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Working...
                                X