Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
    Yay! I'd love to read this stuff! Did you see the essay he wrote for the New York Times just after Trek's fourtieth(wow, that is definitly miss-spelled) anniversary? It was a very nice little piece.
    Hmmmm, I missed that Lady Trek, if you have a link or better yet if you can copy and paste it here that would be awesome!.

Originally posted by kmiller1610
    Hopeless romantic that I am, I loved this episode. Not much to say about it, other than, I wished I had a relationship with that much fire in it. Sisko's decision to avoid future missions dependant on husbands and wives pairing made a lot of sense.
    You and me both kmiller.

I would bet that its common practice to not send married couples, siblings, father/son, mother/daughter ...etc... together on dangerous missions where one or both can be killed or put into a similar situation like Worf and Jadzia were unfortunately put where the mission and standing orders are disobeyed because of love. That just seems like common sense, whether or not its written in Starfleet rules and regulations.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant
      I was kind of annoyed by Worf, I do love the Jadzia character (she is so very cool and beautiful), but there was something annoying about it. That being said, the episode was very well written, there were a lot of little details that are common with DS9 and made this a better episode. One of the things that kind of struck me as interesting was at the end when Jadzia wakes up in the DS9 infirmary and realizes that she is safe and back home, the first thing she asks Worf about is where is Lasaran and what happened on the mission?. Worf tells her that the mission is lost and Lasaran was killed because he abandoned him to save her, and instead of Jadzia looking like she is happy to be alive or thankful to Worf, she has this look of grief and remorse for being responsible for Lasarans death, a blown mission and Worf being in obvious trouble, it's all in the details! and it said a lot about the Jadzia character, Great Stuff!.
      I also noticed that as well brother Defiant, I was waiting to see what Jadzia's reaction was going to be after Worf made that fateful decision. It was different that what I expected but I was also pleasantly surprised to see that Jadzia didn't forget her duty and seemed remorseful that her injury caused the loss of a life and some potentially very important Intel about the Dominion being lost for good. Jadzia and Worf are such strong and great characters!.
      Originally posted by USS Defiant
      That whole thing with Quark talking about how he only gave the Jadzia/Worf marriage a month or two and knowing how that Bashir also loved her (like Quark did) was rather brilliant and quite funny. As a matter of fact that was the start of Quark and Bashir lamenting the fact that Jadzia and Worf were together. They went on to complain and wonder how and why a few more times over the rest of season 6, which was always funny.
      That did start the whole Quark and Bashir "lamenting" over the fact that Jadzia picked Worf over either of them even though it was quite obvious that both Quark and Bashir were madly in love with Jadzia. As a matter of fact it continued even after Jadzia was killed and Ezri took over the Dax symbiont, they both were still in love with Dax.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
        Hmmmm, I missed that Lady Trek, if you have a link or better yet if you can copy and paste it here that would be awesome!.
        Hmm, seems one has to register to read it now, however, I saved it the other day.

here's the link anyway:
        Ron Moore in the New York Times

Mr. Universe
        By RONALD D. MOORE
        Published: September 18, 2006

FOUR decades ago, when the starship Enterprise first settled into orbit around Planet M-113 on Sept. 8, 1966, I was 2 years old. I could not have known it at the time, but “Star Trek” would literally change my life.
        To say that any television show has changed one’s life is to invite both mockery and pity for a poor, shuttered geek who must surely have been denied direct sunlight and the attention of women for the better part of his days. But in lieu of offering documentary proof that I do not, in fact, still reside in my parents’ basement, let me simply tell you how “Star Trek” informed the way I look at the world.
        “Star Trek” is often reduced to kitsch: Kirk’s paunch, Spock’s pointy ears, green-skinned alien girls. But it was more than escapism and rubber-suited aliens. It was a morality play, with Capt. James T. Kirk as a futuristic John F. Kennedy piloting a warp-driven PT-109 through the far reaches of the galaxy.
        Kirk, for me, embodied an American idea: His mission was to explore the final frontier, not to conquer it. He was moral without moralizing. Week after week, he confronted the specters of intolerance and injustice, and week after week found a way to defeat them without ever becoming them. Jim Kirk may have beat up his share of bad guys, but you could never imagine him torturing them.
        A favorite quote: “We’re human beings, with the blood of a million savage years on our hands. But we can stop it. We can admit that we’re killers, but we won’t kill today.” Kirk clearly understood humanity’s many flaws, yet never lost faith in our ability to rise above the muck and reach for the stars.
        “Star Trek” painted a noble, heroic vision of the future, and that vision became my lodestar.
        As I grew into adolescence, the show provided a handy reference against which to judge the questions that my young mind began to ask: What is the obligation of a free society toward the less fortunate? Does an “advanced” culture have the right to spread its ideas among more “primitive” ones? What does it mean to be human, and at what point do we lose our humanity to our technology?
        And as I grew into an adult, and my political views took shape, I treasured “Star Trek” as a dream of what my country could one day become — a liberal and tolerant society, unafraid to live by its ideals in a dangerous universe, and secure in the knowledge that its greatness derived from the strength of its ideas rather than the power of its phasers.
        In my 20’s, through a combination of luck and determination, I fulfilled my childhood dream — I became a writer for “Star Trek.”
        For 10 years, I helped propel the latter-day incarnations of “Trek” into new territory while keeping alive the set of moral principles I’d taken to heart. As I plotted the adventures of the Enterprise-D and the travails of the space station Deep Space 9, I gradually became interested in pushing the boundaries of “Star Trek,” and began to let Captains Picard and Sisko find the shades of gray in a universe Kirk sometimes saw only in black and white.
        Science fiction on film and television has, over the past four decades, moved decisively away from the optimism of “Star Trek.” “Blade Runner,” “Alien” and “The Matrix” posit much darker, dystopian futures; even the “Star Wars” movies posit the rise of a galactic empire founded on “the dark side.” Social and commercial explanations abound for this shift, but my theory is that “Star Trek” set the gold standard for the idealistic vision of tomorrow and no one has successfully challenged it.
        Nowadays, it may appear that I’ve turned a blind eye to my lodestar as the crew of the battlestar Galactica behave in ways that would’ve been unthinkable in the “Star Trek” universe that Gene Roddenberry created. But “Battlestar Galactica” remains very much informed by the lessons I learned from that slightly paunchy man in the gold pajama top on the good ship Enterprise.
        My characters may not have all the answers (sometimes they’re not even aware of the questions) but they contain kernels of both good and evil in their hearts and continue to struggle for salvation and redemption against the darker angels of their natures. Their defeats are many, their victories few, but somehow, some way, they never give up the dream of finding a better tomorrow.
        And, thanks to a 40-year-old television show, neither do I.
        Ronald D. Moore is the writer of “Battlestar Galactica.”

Comment

That's a good read. I wouldn't say Star Trek has changed my life but it has certainly helped and influenced the way I think and interpret things. It helps you question things and also answer some of life's questions.
          //

O'Neill: Phasers?
          Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
            Hmm, seems one has to register to read it now, however, I saved it the other day.
            Thanks for posting it up Lady Trek, he speaks so eloquently and hits the nail on the head, great stuff!.
            Originally posted by Carl
            That's a good read. I wouldn't say Star Trek has changed my life but it has certainly helped and influenced the way I think and interpret things. It helps you question things and also answer some of life's questions.
            That is a great read Carl.

I wouldn't say Star Trek has changed my life or truly influenced me, but it has provided some great entertainment over the years and got me into watching other scifi shows.

I just enjoy Roddenberry's vision of humanity and where it's headed. Even though it's very optimistic it is something we can all hope and strive for!.
            Last edited by the Fifth Race; 27 September 2006, 09:00 AM.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Trek's influenced me. But then again, all Sci-Fi shows do in some way.

There was an episode of Voyager called "Mortal Coil". Yeah...kinda screwed with my beliefs.
              sigpic
              "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
              DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                Trek's influenced me. But then again, all Sci-Fi shows do in some way.

There was an episode of Voyager called "Mortal Coil". Yeah...kinda screwed with my beliefs.
                That's a great episode.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                  I don't have to much to say about this episode. Worf goes against his orders and the possibility of obtaining information that could change the course of the war in the favor of the Federation to save his wife which ends up getting the very important informant killed with all his secrets. Was it a wise choice?, IMHO, no way!, is it the same decision I would have made if I was in Worf's position?, NOT if it was ex-wife, I would have left her for animals to feed off of . But if it was a woman I loved with all my heart, I would have done the samething Worf did.
                  I don't really know what to think about this episode myself, I enjoyed some aspects of it but others I found grating and un-interesting. I understood what Worf did and being married and in love with my wife I would have done the samething no matter what the consequences. That being said I never would have allowed myself to be put into a situation where I am on a potentially hazardous mission with a loved one. I can remember the first time I viewed this episode in its orginal airing, I thought something is going to happen to one or the other and the question of duty over love would play itself out, sure enough that was the whole idea behind the episode. To perdictable but yet it was done in a very touching way. I believed the strong love and bond between Jadzia and Worf, which is a direct testament to there great acting abilities and good writing. So in a nut shell I didn't care for the stroyline but the acting was exceptional.

As far as the question that a few of you brought up about whether Starfleet allows dangerous missions where loved ones are together is a very good question. I wonder if there is something written in Starfleets rules and regulations that addresses this point?. Probably not if Sisko had to specify that they wouldn't be put in that situation again, although like it was mentioned by brother Defiant, Kira, who was subbing for the absent Sisko as commander of the station was put into a situation where she had to send Worf and Jadzia because there was no one else currently available and Starfleet made it perfectly clear of the importance of the mission. So she might have hesitated sending Worf and Jadzia together if she had any other options.

I give Change of Heart a 7.5 star rating

Comment

I couldn't find any Starfleet rules or regulations that really addressed the situation where two loved ones (Worf and Jadzia). But this is kind of interesting.....

Interstellar Law and Treaties: Starfleet General Orders
                    Written by Chris Gray, modified by Chris St. John

General Order 1 ("Prime Directive")
                    As the right of each sentient species to live in accordance with its normal cultural evolution is considered sacred, no Starfleet personnel, Federation citizen and/or representative may interfere with the normal and healthy development of alien life and culture. Such interference includes introducing superior knowledge, strength, or technology to a world whose society is incapable of handling such advantages wisely. Starfleet personnel may not violate this Prime Directive, even to save their lives and/or their ship/installation, unless they are acting to right an earlier violation or an accidental contamination of said culture. This directive takes precedence over any and all other considerations, and carries with it the highest moral obligation.

General Order 1A ("Omega Directive") TOP SECRET — CAPTAIN'S RANK AND ABOVE ONLY

Due to its destructive nature upon subspace & its inherent dangers towards all starfaring civilizations, the omega particle has been determined to be the greatest natural threat to the Federation and the entire galaxy. For that reason, any and all omega particles found to be in existence are to be destroyed at any cost. During the duration of said mission, the Prime Directive is suspended. Notification of the crew of a vessel or installation as to the true nature of this directive is an offense punishable by general court-martial, dishonorable discharge from Starfleet, and a prison term no less than 30 years and no greater than the offender's natural life.

General Order 2

No Starfleet personnel shall unnecessarily use force, either collectively or individually, against members of the United Federation of Planets, their duly authorized representatives, spokespersons, or designated leaders, or members of any sentient non-member race, for any reason whatsoever.

General Order 3

The sovereignty of each Federation member being respected in all things, Starfleet personnel shall observe any and all statutes, laws, ordinances, and rules of governance currently in effect within the jurisdiction of a member planet. Violators of such ordinances will be subject to such punishments or corrections as shall be determined by local governmental bodies.

General Order 4

If contact is made with hitherto undiscovered intelligent lifeforms, under no circumstance shall Starfleet personnel, either by word or deed, inform said lifeforms that worlds other than their own or intelligent life-forms other than their own exist outside the confines of their own space or answer questions by said lifeforms pertaining to the existence of other species outside said space.

General Order 5
                    In cases of extreme emergency, Federation special representatives are empowered to assume emergency powers to deal with a condition or circumstance that is deemed hazardous to the welfare of Federation citizenry. Within the scope of these emergency powers, duly authorized civilian personnel may assume temporary command of Starfleet vessels, installations, and/or personnel to deal with the emergency. Starfleet personnel must submit to their authority for the duration of the crisis.

General Order 6
                    The request for emergency assistance from Federation citizenry or non-aligned persons demands unconditional priority from Starfleet personnel. Such personnel shall immediately respond to said request, postponing all other activities. This responsibility extends to current governments at odds, actively or passively, with the Federation.

General Order 7
                    No Starfleet vessel shall visit the planet Talos IV under any circumstances, emergency or otherwise. This order supersedes General Order 6. Any transgression of this general order shall be punishable by death.

General Order 8

Upon sighting a warship within Federation space and identifying it as belonging to a foreign power, the commander of the Starfleet vessel/installation shall determine the reason(s) for that craft's presence in the vicinity. If there is conclusive evidence that the vessel has hostile intentions, the Federation vessel may take appropriate action to safeguard the lives and property of Federation members or other non-aligned persons under current Federation protection. In such cases, the commander may use their discretion in deciding whether to use force to disable the hostile vessel. However, care should be taken to avoid unnecessary loss of sentient life.

General Order 9
                    A commander of a Starfleet vessel or installation, military or auxiliary, may grant political asylum to any individual without first being given express permission to do so by a representative of the Federation government. However, said decision may and can be overturned by a superior officer or representative of the Federation government pending a reviewal of circumstances.

General Order 10
                    If there exists eyewitness testimony by senior officers or similar verifiable evidence that an individual, military or civilian, has violated the Prime Directive, said individual may be relieved of duty by a duly sworn representative of the Federation government and placed under immediate arrest. The governmental representative shall then take such action as he deems necessary to minimize the results of the violation.

General Order 11

Starfleet officers with command-level rank or higher are granted full authority to negotiate conditions of agreement and/or treaties with legal representatives of non-Federation planets. In such circumstances, the acting officer carries de facto powers of a Federation Special Ambassador. Any and all agreements arranged in this manner are subject to approval by the Chief of Starfleet Operations, the Secretary of Starfleet, and the Federation Council.

General Order 12
                    When approaching a vessel with which communication has not been established, all Starfleet vessels are to maintain maximum safety precautions, regardless of the origin of said vessel, be it a foreign power, an hitherto unknown ship, or a Starfleet vessel.

General Order 13
                    Except when orders state to the contrary or in accordance with General Order 6, Starfleet personnel will respect the territorial integrity of independent planetary systems and governments within and without the confines of the Federation's borders, and will not violate territorial space belonging to such worlds.

General Order 14
                    Starfleet personnel may intervene in local planetary affairs to restore general order and to secure the lives and property of Federation citizens only upon receiving a direct order to do so from a civilian official with the effective title of governor or higher.

General Order 15

No officer of command or flag rank shall travel into a potentially hazardous area without suitable armed escort.

General Order 16
                    Starfleet personnel may extend technological, medical, or other scientific assistance to members of foreign powers or previously unrecognized sentient species only if such assistance in no way compromises the Prime Directive or the security of the Federation or Starfleet.

General Order 17
                    The commanding officers of Starfleet vessel and installations are to consider the lives of their crew members and/or civilian population as sacred. In any potentially hostile situation, the captain will place the lives of his crew above the fate of his ship.

General Order 18
                    Upon being accused of treason against the Federation, Starfleet personnel may demand a trial conducted by the Federation judiciary or representative Judge Advocate General for that sector. If the individual is acquitted, Starfleet Command shall have no further legal recourse against the accused in said matter.

General Order 19

Except in times of declared emergency, Starfleet personnel may under no circumstances convey personnel or material between planets or planetary systems when there is reason to believe that said personnel or material may be used to conduct aggression, whether against Federation members or other non-aligned worlds. This order applies to independent worlds within the Federation as well as to Federation members.

General Order 20
                    Officers and personnel of Starfleet Command may employ whatever means necessary to prevent the possession, transportation, sale, or commercial exchange of sentient beings held against their wishes within the boundaries of Federation space. This includes temporary violations of General Order 13, but not of the Prime Directive.

General Order 21
                    No Starfleet personnel, either officer or enlisted, may offer his services to an independent foreign government without the express authorization of the Federation Council.

General Order 22

As the rights of individual expression and free discourse are considered sacred, Starfleet personnel may debate the policies, decisions, and actions of their governmental representatives privately at any time, to the extent that such discussions do not violate their command oath or specific duties to the Federation per these General Orders or Starfleet regulations.

Continued..........

Comment

General Order 23
                      When verifiable proof is presented to the senior commanding officer of a Starfleet vessel or post that a Federation representative may currently be acting or have acted in the past to violate the Prime Directive, the officer may relieve said representative of office, then assume the full powers of that office pending a full investigation by governmental officials.

General Order 24
                      If a commanding officer deems that a planet has been culturally contaminated to a point where correction is no longer viable and said culture now poses a direct threat to Starfleet personnel or Federation civilians, he may order the destruction of a planet's surface to occur within a time limit set upon invocation.

General Order 25

Civilian and military personnel?hether a citizen of the Federation, a non-aligned world, or a foreign power?aken into custody by Starfleet personnel during times of extreme emergency shall be accorded proper treatment consistent with their rank or station, insofar as such treatment does not compromise the security of the Federation or Starfleet.

General Order 26

No member of a ship's complement or other ground-based installation can be held directly accountable for the actions of their superiors. Similarly, no member of a ship's company or other Starfleet personnel will share in disciplinary measures taken against the Commanding Officer(s) if said individuals were not directly involved in the actions leading to disciplinary measures. This order extends to conditions involving proven violations of the Prime Directive, where proof of such violations exist. However, failure to attempt to halt the actions of said superiors is a violation of the order and as such is punishable by general court-martial.

General Order 27
                      No member of Starfleet shall be required by the assignment of standard duties and responsibilities to undergo extended separation from his family if family members can be reasonably provided for aboard ship or as a part of an existing Starfleet installation.

General Order 28

No officer of command rank shall be removed from command status unless such action has the complete and unqualified agreement of at least three senior officers present per Starfleet Procedural Order 104, sections B and C.. Whenever possible, such officers shall include the ship's First Officer, Chief Medical Officer, Counselor, and one junior officer of command station.

General Order 29
                      The primary responsibility of the commander of any Starfleet vessel or installation is the welfare and safety of his crew, including any civilian members. No action may be taken that creates an unwarranted threat to the safety of those individuals under the officer's charge, except in the line of duty and when otherwise unavoidable. This is a concurrent order with General Order 17.

General Order 30

Starfleet Command recognizes the right of each ship commander to interpret the specifications of the Prime Directive as he sees fit, consistent with the conditions of other existing general orders in effect, and based upon circumstances that may arise in dealing with newly discovered sentient races. However, said decision may and can be overturned by a superior officer or representative of the Federation government pending a reviewal of circumstances.

General Order 31
                      The conditions and specifications of the Prime Directive shall henceforth apply to all sentient lifeforms discovered, whether they are of natural or artificial origin.

General Order 32
                      Federation officers may violate Neutral Zone areas as designated by treaty only if such action is required to save the lives of Federation citizens under conditions of extreme emergency as required by General Order 6.

General Order 33
                      If a commanding officer deems that an individual or group of individuals pose a direct threat to the safety of Starfleet personnel, Federation citizens, or those under current Federation protection, they may take any actions necessary to safeguard the lives of those threatened. In such cases, the commander may use their discretion in deciding whether to use force. However, care should be taken to avoid unnecessary loss of sentient life.

General Order 34
                      All Starfleet personnel and/or Federation civilian contractors shall follow a superior's order to the best of their ability, unless said orders should conflict with the regulation laid out in these orders. Special dispensations are granted in emergency situations as per specific orders, with the exceptions of General Orders 1, 2, 3, or 7.

General Order 35
                      Should the entire personnel of a Starfleet vessel or installation become severely incapacitated or deceased due to an environmental or medical contaminant, said vessel is to be destroyed within a 24-hour period from initial discovery of cause to prevent spread of the epidemic agent.

General Order 36
                      No Federation vessel, whether civilian or Starfleet, is allowed to visit a planet or star system placed under quarantine by Starfleet or the Federation Council unless the visitation falls under the jurisdictional actions accredited by General Orders 1, 5, and 6.

General Order 37
                      Starfleet personnel shall respect binding contracts, agreements, and bondings made by the Federation government and/or Starfleet itself and shall operate within the boundaries & governances of said treaties, especially in matters dealing with the co-signatories of said treatise.

General Order 38
                      In the event of the death, absence, or incapacitation of the commanding officer of record, command of a ship or installation falls to the next highest-ranking crewmember, regardless of position in the command structure. When two officers in the line of succession are of comparable rank, command first falls upon the officer with command experience; barring that requirement, command will fall upon the officer with seniority.

General Order 39
                      An officer or crewmember may be removed from active duty status if they are judged to be incapable of fulfilling their obligations as a member of Starfleet, whether for medical or psychological reasons, by either the Chief Medical Officer or by the two ranking command staff officers.

Comment

Interesting stuff Starbase, that was a fun read. I didn't read anything that really addressed the issue of loved ones (family members or partners) going together on dangerous away missions. The more I think about it the more I am sure that really isn't any kind of rule written that addresses this in particular.......

Note:.....
                        If you remember on TNG, Beverly and Wesley went on a few missions together and some would be considered rather dangerous, including the time that Wesley almost got executed because he unkowingly stepped on a grassy area that was stictly forbidden.

Then there was a couple times on VOY where B'Elanna and Tom (while married) accompanied each other on away missions.

So I would think that like the way it was portrayed in the DS9 episode Change of Heart, that a decision like this is left up to the commanding officer in charge.
                        The USS Defiant Rocks!
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Yeah and since Kira was in charge at that moment...I don't think Sisko would've let him go together if he was there. Good read Starbase.

Next episode up for discussion is "Wrongs Darker than Death or Night". Can't wait.
                          sigpic

Comment

^IS that the time travel episode?
                            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                              Yeah and since Kira was in charge at that moment...I don't think Sisko would've let him go together if he was there. Good read Starbase.

Next episode up for discussion is "Wrongs Darker than Death or Night". Can't wait.
                              I kind of doubt Sisko would have sent them together as well, although if Sisko had been at DS9 to make the decision the circumstances would have been such, where Sisko probably would have sent Kira with Worf instead of Jadzia or he would have gone with Worf himself.

Originally posted by Darkstar
                              ^IS that the time travel episode?
                              Wrong's Darker than Death or Night is the episode about Kira's mother and her past with DuKat and the occupation. If my memory serves me right, it's a not a time travel episode, but they do flashback in time when Kira's mother was involved with DuKat romantically.
                              The USS Defiant Rocks!
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

It is a time travel episode actually. Kira uses an Orb to travel back to the Occupation.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X