Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
    Brother J1 in da house woohoo. Great to see you my friend.

For newbies: The quiz will be posted Monday (April 5). I will leave it up until Thursday night or Friday morning when I will post the results. Please read and respect the rules (there are only a few).
    Looks like I've got two big quizzes for that week. The one here, and a law enforcement agility practice test on Wednesday April 7 (3-6pm ). The one here will be far less pressure-intensive. Having said that, I've got some treadmill time at the gym today--at least an hour.
    Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 21 March 2010, 01:11 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
      Looks like I've got two big quizzes for that week. The one here, and a law enforcement agility practice test on Wednesday April 7 (3-6pm ). The one here will be far less pressure-intensive. Having said that, I've got some treadmill time at the gym today--at least an hour.
      I promise my Trek Quiz will be far less painful. LOL Most people can get through one of my quizzes in about 10-30 minutes, although some ringers will spend even more time making sure they make Top Dawg level.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I promise my Trek Quiz will be far less painful. LOL Most people can get through one of my quizzes in about 10-30 minutes, although some ringers will spend even more time making sure they make Top Dawg level.
        My time spent goes well into the hours range. I have a status to uphold

But like brother Fifth said most people don't take that long. I just have to make it as good as possible for my competition against other ringers.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post

But like brother Fifth said most people don't take that long. I just have to make it as good as possible for my competition against other ringers.
          LOL, yeah brother USS Defiant and Starbase have said they spent a good hour+ themselves.

Your status as Ringer is very well cemented brother jelgate. You always make the Top Dawg or Honorable Mention list. The Wooden Spoon competition is always a hoot as well.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
            I just don't like religion in shows that much *shrugs* And I'm not so keen on politics either
            How you end up then in a DS9 thread considering the show had a lot of those two elements?

Comment

If I wanted realistic I'd watch soaps

But why would not including religion in shows be unrealistic, there's tons of shows that don't include religion in it but it doesn't make them any less realistic.
              Show me one soap that is realiastic? Especially from the daytime? Just because soaps concentrate most on human relationships does not make soap operas more real. Also if a show like SGU, BSG or DS9 tend to actually deal with human truths and human failings and relationships between others that doesn't make it a soap opera either (a tired criticism of sci fi shows that try to be more sophisticated than a Saturday morning cartoon). Not suggesting that is what you have referred to these shows as being btw. Anyway from that view point I suppose "The Godfather" or "The Sopranos" would be soap operas too.

Comment

Originally posted by AndSoItBegins View Post
                Also if a show like SGU, BSG or DS9 tend to actually deal with human truths and human failings and relationships between others that doesn't make it a soap opera either (a tired criticism of sci fi shows that try to be more sophisticated than a Saturday morning cartoon). Not suggesting that is what you have referred to these shows as being btw. Anyway from that view point I suppose "The Godfather" or "The Sopranos" would be soap operas too.
                Well said and I agree with you to a point. Personally I found BSG and SGU far more soap operish than DS9 ever was (you could also add B5, Farscape, TNG, VOY, Firefly - just to name a few). And it's not that all those shows didn't have there soap operish moments as well (and that's not necessarily a bad thing - there were a lot of great soap operish episodes from all of above named shows) - You could break down almost ever single modern scifi and find quite a few "soap operish" type episodes in every season.

BTW: welcome to the DS9/Sci-Fi/All purpose thread.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

LOL, yeah brother USS Defiant and Starbase have said they spent a good hour+ themselves.

Your status as Ringer is very well cemented brother jelgate. You always make the Top Dawg or Honorable Mention list. The Wooden Spoon competition is always a hoot as well.
                  Yes, I can't believe I have competition for the 'Wooden Spoon', I awarded it to myself after doing my first quiz, (seems like so long ago now) due to being so....well.....last! LOL! I'm actually amazed I had to part with it after the last quiz and not be last any more, I'd got quite used to that spot!

I just love doing the quizzes, so am glad to see there is one coming up again. I'm all quizzed out though as part of all my studies, I finish the classes part of the course this Friday, so no more daily quizzes! It will give me a chance to reset my brain cell and think 'Trek Quiz' and hope I can unearth that knowledge from under the pile of everything else I've put in my brain in the last few months.

Even doing the 'Scene It - Star Trek Edition' quiz doesn't help me as there are some really some incredibly obscure questions on that! Well for me there is, not for all you experts though I'm sure.

It was a joy as ever to read your wonderful review of 'Accession' USS Defiant.

I really like this episode, but haven't seen it for a while. My memory of it was of Kira being faced with a situation she didn't want to be in, faced with being told what her 'position' in Bajoran society was and she had to accept it. Being the respectful, devout and loyal Bajoran she was she did her best to embrace it. As a viewer I felt really frustrated along with her, wanting so much for it to be all a bad dream and she could get back to what she was doing very well. It was a measure of her character how she faced this. Sisko seeing her 'suffering' as an example of what many other Bajorans were no doubt going through must have been a contributing factor to Sisko's acceptance of his role as the Emissary. He was needed at that point in time, not one in the person of Akoram Laan, with the standards and morals of a society long dead.

I reckon the Prophets had set this up to put Sisko on the spot, he was always the Emissary, he just needed a 'nudge' to actually realise it and embrace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                    It was a joy as ever to read your wonderful review of 'Accession' USS Defiant.

I really like this episode, but haven't seen it for a while. My memory of it was of Kira being faced with a situation she didn't want to be in, faced with being told what her 'position' in Bajoran society was and she had to accept it. Being the respectful, devout and loyal Bajoran she was she did her best to embrace it. As a viewer I felt really frustrated along with her, wanting so much for it to be all a bad dream and she could get back to what she was doing very well. It was a measure of her character how she faced this. Sisko seeing her 'suffering' as an example of what many other Bajorans were no doubt going through must have been a contributing factor to Sisko's acceptance of his role as the Emissary. He was needed at that point in time, not one in the person of Akoram Laan, with the standards and morals of a society long dead.

I reckon the Prophets had set this up to put Sisko on the spot, he was always the Emissary, he just needed a 'nudge' to actually realise it and embrace it.
                    Kira's "applause" (and the appalled look on her face) when Akorem announced the return of the D'jarras told us everything we needed to know. The internal conflict she faced was incredibly well acted and believable. I also think the Prophets setup the situation for Sisko. His status as the Emissary though was truly cemented in "Rapture" when he found B'hala. Not even Wynn could dispute him being the Emissary.
                    sigpic

Comment

Notice the specific way the Bajorans clap? Lovely touch.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Well said and I agree with you to a point. Personally I found BSG and SGU far more soap operish than DS9 ever was (you could also add B5, Farscape, TNG, VOY, Firefly - just to name a few). And it's not that all those shows didn't have there soap operish moments as well (and that's not necessarily a bad thing - there were a lot of great soap operish episodes from all of above named shows) - You could break down almost ever single modern scifi and find quite a few "soap operish" type episodes in every season.

BTW: welcome to the DS9/Sci-Fi/All purpose thread.
                        I concur.
                        The story movement was far to slow in BSG. And I understand the concept of building conflicts but many of them I had no stake in because they weren't good people attempting to do good things.

I get the flaw factor but it seems more an more the flaws are being accentuated almost praised.
                        I like seeing goodness on screen. The fine fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                          even Linda? anyway looking forward to the quiz
                          HEY But, me......Think? Do I have to? You know it gives me a headache

*nods head* Is it still me and Lady Pitry that holds the coveted wooden spoon award?

How you end up then in a DS9 thread considering the show had a lot of those two elements?
                          I know...Weird eh But once you get to know me you'll realise that I am pretty weird

Show me one soap that is realiastic? Especially from the daytime? Just because soaps concentrate most on human relationships does not make soap operas more real. Also if a show like SGU, BSG or DS9 tend to actually deal with human truths and human failings and relationships between others that doesn't make it a soap opera either (a tired criticism of sci fi shows that try to be more sophisticated than a Saturday morning cartoon). Not suggesting that is what you have referred to these shows as being btw. Anyway from that view point I suppose "The Godfather" or "The Sopranos" would be soap operas too.
                          I wasn't being serious I was being a little sarcastic I hate soaps and If I ever thought DS9 was too soap opery I'd never have watched it. But here where I live can sometimes be like a soap And that is not a good thing
                          sigpic

Comment

*nods head* Is it still me and Lady Pitry that holds the coveted wooden spoon award?
                            LOL it's been awhile since the my last Quiz, so I don't remember who held the coveted Wooden Spoon Award.
                            Originally posted by Linda06
                            I wasn't being serious I was being a little sarcastic I hate soaps and If I ever thought DS9 was too soap opery I'd never have watched it. But here where I live can sometimes be like a soap And that is not a good thing
                            I knew you were being sarcastic (it was obvious the newbie hadn't gotten to know the lovely Lady Linda yet). Don't ever change young lady.

One thing I have come to realize over the years of meeting a lot fellow Star Trek and especially DS9 fans. Is that Star Trek has something for everyone. It is such a great microcosm for the human condition and what is good and bad about our society. Even though DS9 was rather dark compared to a lot of other scifi shows it still managed to keep that great enthusiasm that Roddenberry instilled with his rather utopian vision for Star Trek. In my oh so humble opinion DS9 fans are second to none.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

LOL it's been awhile since the my last Quiz, so I don't remember who held the coveted Wooden Spoon Award.
                              I think we had joint custody

I knew you were being sarcastic (it was obvious the newbie hadn't gotten to know the lovely Lady Linda yet). Don't ever change young lady.
                              The newbie will soon get to know me and my sarcasm Oh I won't ever change

One thing I have come to realize over the years of meeting a lot fellow Star Trek and especially DS9 fans. Is that Star Trek has something for everyone. It is such a great microcosm for the human condition and what is good and bad about our society. Even though DS9 was rather dark compared to a lot of other scifi shows it still managed to keep that great enthusiasm that Roddenberry instilled with his rather utopian vision for Star Trek. In my oh so humble opinion DS9 fans are second to none.
                              Couldn't agree more. As much as I dislike religion and politics, DS9 done it in a way that for the most part I didn't mind, and sometimes even quite enjoyed And I loved the darker element to DS9 very much What? I'm a dreary sod

OH AND I'M GETTING A CAT Sorry for that little piece of randomness but I'm so excited
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                As a fellow Trek Quiz Ringer I noticed you finished slightly ahead of me the last few quizzes, you are going down this time brother jelgate. In all seriousness, I also admit I spend at least an hour+ and take my time while doing the quiz. I also study beforehand by watching and rewatching the episodes and movies that brother Fifth picks to spot-light, it sure help's a lot lol. We both have to take down Lady Rac and Brother USS Defiant who always seem to be the top "Top Dawg's".
                                Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                                anyway looking forward to the quiz
                                Hey brother Jumper One (another great Trek mind and fellow ringer), great to see you on the superior thread again.

Comment

Working...
                                X