Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tagger View Post
    I totally enjoyed this episode!!

The acting was great, the artwork was beautiful, and the story engaging.

I love that Henry has more backstory, and Ryan Robbins did a great job!

Were-person? Yipes. Pineal gland and pituitary gland abnormalities. Perfect. Circadian rhythm abnormalities and crazy growth/ abilities. Just what a werewolf needs hehe.

OT a bit:

Spoiler:
    I wondered in this episode and the last one (?) why the primitive brain structures are what Helen considers responsible for the next step in human evolution? I think Helen said the first brain change seen in abnormals is a change in the hypothalamus? (or thalamus, I can't remember). Either way, the thalamus and hypothalamus are some of the most "primitive" brain structures we have. The cortex, frontal lobes, etc... supposedly came later. Anyhoo, I just wonder what twists and turns Egan and Kindler have up their sleeves, and it makes me curious where they will go with this. Primitive is relative, I guess.

Biggie has a soft side! He was so sweet taking care of Henry and talking him down from his anxiety.

The actor playing Edward did a fantastic job!! Cool overall premise, and nice plot twists at the end.

I also liked that the cast seemed to really gel in this one - the comfort level and interactions seemed much more natural this episode.

I wasn't expecting to like this episode (don't ask me why ), but I really liked the story, the acting, the whole thing.

The episodes just keep getting better!

Regarding your OT comment
    Spoiler:
    Can the most primitive brain structure be the most easily influenced? Is that where Helen extracts the green glowy substance?

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post

I do have to wonder who took the father's body and why? I wonder if it's the cabal?
      Me too. I assumed it was the Cabal, but then again Helen was willing to work outside the legal system to protect Edward and his family.

Originally posted by Naddy View Post
      I absolutely loved that "cheeky monkey". we (me and my sister) are compiling favourite quotes... "cheeky monkey", "few cups shy of a tea service"... I'm really looking forward to more ep's as I feel like they keep getting better...

speaking of which, we have to wait 2 weeks for a new one?!
      Loved those, too. =)

Originally posted by Kratos_Goauld_of_War View Post
      That bit with Will and Helen was awesome. I love the way she said "cheeky monkey." because only someone who is Brittish can pull it off and not sound ridiculous
      Unless of course, you are - Mike Myers - in a bathtub - on SNL.

Originally posted by Kratos_Goauld_of_War View Post
      I really don't want to wait 2 weeks for the next episode because it looks freaking amazing.
      Me either! The next episode looks great!
      Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
      Quint Studer

Comment

I love this ep of sanctuary, thought it was all around brilliant ep.

I love the cheeky monkey bit.

The mystery and how the suspect keep on changing as the ep went on.

The aspergers kid played brilliantly and I suspect was probably based on the real guy who as the same photographic memory drawing abilities, and makes a lot of money from it. The documentary that he appear in showed that he acted very like the actor did in the episode. Through the very beginning he may of over acted it just a bit.

The whole Henry story was interesting, I got the feeling that the butterfly analogy will come true, the human stage is his learning staging, the werewolf stage will cocoon protecting him and well who knows what the butterfly stage will. It gonna be interesting to see him evolve through all the stages, I their is a other stage after werewolf stage any way.

I loved the whole cavern panting scene at the end, let face two kids wot have any trouble earning money in the future.

Comment

Good question.

I need to re-watch.
          I watched it twice last night and I don't think there are any hints as to how long ago Helen picked up Henry. Helen said she wondered what would have happened if she had left him with "his people". He did look a little bit like a cave-boy but I'm wondering if that's because "his people" are also were-people or a group of outcasts that are (different kinds of) abnormals. Maybe they have to live that far outside of society to protect themselves. They live out on "the moors" which is generally very wild land since it isn't really habitable or a place for building villages. I'm curious now, too, but just from the way Henry behaves and from how he was talking about being human for most of his life, he seems to have been, up to now, pretty normal. So I guess I lean toward the concept that his age is true (although it's hard for me to gauge even RR's age, but I'm guessing late 30s/early 40s?). I hope we do get to see a little more of his background. And from any of you who have read the spoilers, we know he plays a cruicial part of the last episode's plot. Sounds like it might even be a cliffhanger. Can't wait!

mfw

Comment

Sanctuary has a really unique atmosphere. And the show gets better with every episode - I am glad they picked it up for S2.

I wonder why isn´t Ryan Robbins listed in the credits as one of main characters? He practically steals the show for himself in some moments.
            And if Helen found him as a child - I can´t imagine how hard it has to be for her to see her "children" grow old and die. How many times in the future has this happened to her? I think it waits her also with Ashley. It´s depressing.

I liked to see Kavan Smith again and how it looks like, he might be working with Will more often now

I am still wondering about Will´s "power". It´s amazing how he can notice details and I keep asking if there isn´t something more. It is very similar to what Edward does. Everybody in the Sanctuary has some secret and it looks like Helen knows everything about everybody and doesn´t choose people randomly. I know it would be maybe too much if also Will had some power but, I saw some people thinking that since episode one so it wouldn´t be too suprising. I´d like to see some story that would be concentrated also at him and his past (and his mother). I know they´ll get there I just...don´t like waiting

The actor who played Edward was great and I loved how he painted. The moving pictures in computer based on the scetches were fantastic and I think it was really original.

And I loved the Unas picture

We have to wait for two weeks again - it´s horrible, all shows have some kind of break, what am I gonna do?

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

I thought that it was Helen pulling strings to get things covered up... do you think the Cabal was slowed down by the events in Rome? losing a bunch of people?
              I thought it was the Cabal. I didn't think about it being Helen until somebody mentioned it on the thread. But, it could have been Helen trying to save the mother from losing her husband instead of burying him.

I hadn't really thought that it was the stargate guy passing on the pics but that's kinda funny....

if you look back to see if it's a wraith i think it was the one right after the unas on the car...
              I saw the Unas right off and thought I saw a Wraith too. I wonder if all of the drawings were renditions created by Stargate for various characters, just some weren't used.

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
              I thought it was Helen too at first, but then Will seemed genuinely surprised... and the Cabal people were in the black SUVs in another eppy... The Sanctuary has one van. So that's why I thought of the cabal the mention of multiple black vehicles .... I may be way off lol but that's my thinking for now
              I wouldn't be surprised if Helen doesn't keep a lot of things from Will. With Helen's 'contacts' she can probably get a hold of anything she wants when she wants it. As I think about it, I'm leaning more and more toward thinking Helen took the body.

i thought it might be Helen calling in favours, or if she has friends high-up. it strikes me as likely that she would, seeing as how she's had a while to make connections...

i thought Will was not so much surprised as... well, i'm not really sure how to describe it. I thought it was going back to the discussion he and Helen had about how "one of [them] would be uncomfortable" because Helen would cover things up to protect Edward....
              thoughts?
              I think Helen would keep secrets from Will in a heartbeat. I don't ever see Helen being 'uncomfortable' if she can help it.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              I'm still absorbing tonight's episode. ...

I was a tad disappointed that there wasn't more between Helen and Ashley about Ashley finding out who her father was. I thought that was skipped over lightly and there should have been a bit more - but I'm sure that will come in later episodes.
              There was a lot there. I need to watch again. Maybe that was why there so little of Ashley/Helen.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              how old is henry?

cause it looks like he may be almost as old as helen, going by his clothing in the flashbacks
              Originally posted by MyFavoriteWraith View Post
              I watched it twice last night and I don't think there are any hints as to how long ago Helen picked up Henry. Helen said she wondered what would have happened if she had left him with "his people". He did look a little bit like a cave-boy but I'm wondering if that's because "his people" are also were-people or a group of outcasts that are (different kinds of) abnormals. Maybe they have to live that far outside of society to protect themselves. They live out on "the moors" which is generally very wild land since it isn't really habitable or a place for building villages. I'm curious now, too, but just from the way Henry behaves and from how he was talking about being human for most of his life, he seems to have been, up to now, pretty normal. So I guess I lean toward the concept that his age is true (although it's hard for me to gauge even RR's age, but I'm guessing late 30s/early 40s?). I hope we do get to see a little more of his background. And from any of you who have read the spoilers, we know he plays a cruicial part of the last episode's plot. Sounds like it might even be a cliffhanger. Can't wait!

mfw
              I thought the 'growing up in the wild' idea rather than being really old. Although it may be some of both. Has there been a trend of abnormals having a much longer life span? The show may be too new to tell yet.

As to the thalamus/hypothalamus discussion, those two parts may be primitive, but have they changed over time? Or have we just grown new parts?

Great episode!!! Lots to think about and look forward to

Comment

I was out so I watched this episode very late when I got home. I'll watch it again before posting further but just wanted to say "cheeky monkey" is my favourite new saying.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                  Getting up that early is bad, but without you, how would they get the plave started off right? . And yeah, it did feel like an law and order story .
                  you made me look up 'plave'.

it's 'place', right?

The actor playing Edward did a fantastic job!!
                  yes he did!

I wasn't expecting to like this episode (don't ask me why ), but I really liked the story, the acting, the whole thing.
                  i wasn't either, because i don't like stories about autistic ppl. my brother's autistic and it's just a sore spot. but this worked fine for me.

Originally posted by knowles2

The aspergers kid played brilliantly and I suspect was probably based on the real guy who as the same photographic memory drawing abilities, and makes a lot of money from it. The documentary that he appear in showed that he acted very like the actor did in the episode.
                  i thought of that too. i saw the story on '60 minutes' or something.

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
                  I am still wondering about Will´s "power". It´s amazing how he can notice details and I keep asking if there isn´t something more. It is very similar to what Edward does. Everybody in the Sanctuary has some secret and it looks like Helen knows everything about everybody and doesn´t choose people randomly. I know it would be maybe too much if also Will had some power but, I saw some people thinking that since episode one so it wouldn´t be too suprising. I´d like to see some story that would be concentrated also at him and his past (and his mother). I know they´ll get there I just...don´t like waiting
                  the way they're highlighting will seeing/focusing on stuff made my mom think he's psychic. i had to tell her that the writers are just showing how will picks up on things, not that he's got a special power. am i right?

k, my review...

i liked this ep, but i can't say i loved it. it was totally well done, that goes without a doubt, but it just felt too 'law and order' or 'cold case' in hightlighting children and the horrible things happening to them. but the scifi twist pushed it into a place a bit more comfortable for me.

the plusses:

* "there is such a thing as 'before my time'" and "cheeky monkey"!!

* the helen-ashley shooting rang scene. it was cool seeing them doing their target practice (tough women!), but it's the conversation that i loved.

so ashley's have probs with mom? i think it was bad enough that she'd been lied to, but what's sticking in ash's craw is that mom wasn't the one to tell her the truth. i like that statement, for it's realism and where it could take the storyline.

* the scene where edward goes into the elevator and sees childhenry and then what henry might look like as a total abnormal.

i was thinking that edward was just picking up vibes or a type of residue of henry, so i was very surprised to see that henry was in the elevator with him. i REALLY liked the way it was filmed too. the edward actor did great with it (being scared, but not being able like the rest of us of vocalizing his fears), and henry... i think i cringed when i saw that henry was there. he was just standing their quietly to himself, but the camera showed this very sorry and sad look on his face... i can't remember the actor's name that plays henry, but he did a great job in this scene. he looked so sad and alone. (((henry)))

* i didn't know who was the real guilty party, so i'm glad that out of all the ideas i'd had, i was wrong. i like being suprised.

but i'll tell you, i thought for a moment, edward was the bad guy. the scene where helen and will are talking to him, but the other scene is henry smelling the clothing... i don't know, but i suddenly expected to find out that edward wasn't what we thought he was, and was, infact, the real monster here. but like i said, i'm glad i was wrong.

* seeing the images robbie made. very beautiful.

okay, some questions:

what exactly was wrong with edward, robbie, and the dad?

what was the mom trying to hide from the police? why not let them believe the dad killed himself?

i'm SUPER looking forward to 'requiem'!!

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Helen doesn't keep a lot of things from Will. With Helen's 'contacts' she can probably get a hold of anything she wants when she wants it. As I think about it, I'm leaning more and more toward thinking Helen took the body.

I think Helen would keep secrets from Will in a heartbeat.
                    I'm with you. It could very well be Helen. Especially since we didn't see Will tell Magnus--hey, someone took the body!

I thought the 'growing up in the wild' idea rather than being really old.
                    Yeah, I don't think it was implied that Henry's old. i didn't see his clothes really well, but they seemed to be "wild man"/"raised by wolves" garments if you will.

I love how we get bits of backstory in the episodes. it definitely leaves me wanting to see more. Ashley in a stroller, Helen finding henry on the moors...
                    good stuff.

Comment

Will's power or what not reminds me of how they portray Shawn Spencer's on Psych. Able to notice details no-one else can and apparently photographic recall of said details. Although Will doesn't play his ability off as being a psychic to great comedic effect.
                      sigpic

Just repeat to yourself; "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                        okay, some questions:

what exactly was wrong with edward, robbie, and the dad?

what was the mom trying to hide from the police? why not let them believe the dad killed himself?
                        I think all three had Edward's extreme photographic memory, as well as the 'dark' side of the power, which seemed to be shooting some kind of laser beam out of their eyes when agitated/angry. The father seemed to have the least control of his power, or his temper, so he was prone to laser eyes more often, leading him to lock himself up.

I think the mom put the shotgun into the father's hands because he'd fired it by heating the barrel instead of pulling the trigger, so she may have thought that it would look more like a homicide and less like a suicide if he wasn't holding the gun.

i'm SUPER looking forward to 'requiem'!!
                        Me too!

sigpic

Comment

I thought this was another great episode!

I was a little surprised at Henry's backstory, since I get confused with the webisodes a little sometimes. I feel bad for the guy, though, changing into something big and scary like that. It will have to be a slow physical change, though, or they're going to totally lose the actor based on what Edward saw.

Loved the Unas and the Wraith in the drawings!

I feel so bad for Ashley and Helen, though. They have so much to work through and Ash is so angry. What's worse is that Ashley completely understands her mom's motives, so it seems, but it still hurts. There's a lot of work for them to do.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
                            I thought this was another great episode!
                            Loved the Unas and the Wraith in the drawings!
                            I too loved this episode...but I kinda wish they hadn't popped that picture of the Unas in there...I would love to se it steer as clear from Stargate as possible. I didn't notice the Wraith picture but will re watch this ep sometime this week and will keep on eye peeled for it!
                            This is what I had posted in the Sanctuary forums...
                            Re: "cheeky monkey"...Hehe...when I heard her say that I was like..."Hey!! That's my line!!!".How cool!!
                            I loved the episode "Edward". I loved the acting by all the cast...the mother and the boys...awesome!!
                            I wonder though...when the beam thing hut Helen's jacket...it was obviously burning through...do you think it would have burned her skin? She did jump a bot...but was that through concern of the possibility of being hurt or the burn making contact with her?? Just a thought is all.
                            I hope we do get to see more about where Henry came from and what his family are and how Helen found him.
                            I have to admit...I love how this ep had you thinking one thing one moment and then another soon after...like was it abuse or was it protection....and fro who or what???
                            I loved that it didn't divulge everything right off and you think it's going to go one way then it veers off and takes you on a totally different way!
                            I loved the end.
                            I can't wait to see Requiem...holy mackerel...that preview is wicked!!! Pity it's only going to go for the hour...I'd love for that one to be a two parter!!
                            Overall...I'm excellently pleased and will no doubt sleep well tonight...I hope!!
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I was just thinking...when Will said..."If the father was an abnormal, he'd probably pass it on to Edward"...I fully expected Ashley to react differently...maybe look accusingly toward Helen or something! Ashley has to wonder if she has any abnormal traits in her...but they haven't addressed that yet...I hope they don't dilly daddle on that.
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I was wondering how much time will take for Amanda in order to make references to stargate. In this episode i saw the first: UNAS.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X