Sanctuary For All (101-102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really liked it. A few observations:
    - Amanda looks great with dark hair, though I noticed her natural accent showing through a few times. Didn't really bother me though.
    - Will reminds me of Daniel, at least at the beginning.
    - Wasn't the whole thing just one night? How many times did Helen change outfit?
    - Christopher Heyerdall (sp?) was really good.
    - All the characters seem likable and seem to have a sense of humour (I hate shows where the characters are dead serious all the time)
    - Some of the backgrounds looked great, others not so much (the entrance hall to the sanctuary looked a bit fake, thought reminded me of Resident Evil on Gamecube (the remake) so I liked it)
    - The music was amazing. The parts where whatsername is trying to shoot Druitt were really atmospheric.

I've finally got a new show to watch this season. Everything else I tried has disappointed me (Fringe).

Edit:
    Also, one of the big appeals of this show is that they could have it set anywhere. The rainy, dark city looked great, but I'm hoping we get some more exotic locations further down the line. After all, they're not limited by transportation or budget (as in, it wont cost them more if they make an episode set in Africa or something, cos it's all just CGI)
    Last edited by Jonzey; 05 October 2008, 01:48 PM.

Comment

okay, my three fave scenes:

*after john takes ashley away to put her in the cage thingie with the monster, helen quickly goes to check the cameras to look for ash. amanda's acting grabbed me in! she's normally cool and collective, but in this scene she's tipping towards panicking. (((amanda)))

*the on the roof scene with helen and will. i loved the effects and you really felt like they were up there. you could even hear the wind blowing. but what i loved the most was the essence of helen's solitude.

*the ending scene with helen and will in her office. again, there was just something about the way this scene was played that spoke of helen's intimate relationship with solitude. she's got ashley, bigfoot, and henry, but she's ultimately very alone.

argh, amanda, how do you do it!?! (((amanda)))

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

i want helen's accent to be even stronger. just do mary poppins (but on a wee bit of crack).
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah, I also like how Helen and Ashley's relationship seemed fairly amicable. I hate the tired, overused cliche of the kid having issues with their parent(s) and rebelling. I know she did leave after being asked not to, but I reckon Helen knew she'd do that anyway.

Comment

Okay, two questions

One, I've seen mention a few places of Druitt "singing" a line. Where was that? I don't recall that at all, and I didn't have any difficulty hearing anything he said (which was a huge plus for the whole show - tons of shows nowadays have the background music so high it drowns out the actors!).

Two, I've seen people saying that the thing that killed Will's mother is in the Sanctuary. When were we led to believe that?

Did I miss something??

Comment

Originally posted by sbz View Post
              Okay, two questions

One, I've seen mention a few places of Druitt "singing" a line. Where was that? I don't recall that at all, and I didn't have any difficulty hearing anything he said (which was a huge plus for the whole show - tons of shows nowadays have the background music so high it drowns out the actors!).

Two, I've seen people saying that the thing that killed Will's mother is in the Sanctuary. When were we led to believe that?

Did I miss something??
              I'll try to answer both at the same time. John singing was EDIT: in the warehouse where he and Ashley first meet/fight. That monster appears to have the same teeth as the monster in Will's dream. I agree, no one on the show said they are the same. Will didn't acknowledge it. I have to agree there are similarities in their teeth, but I don't think it's the same monster. I'm sure many dangerous monsters have teeth like that.
              Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 06 October 2008, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

*after john takes ashley away to put her in the cage thingie with the monster, helen quickly goes to check the cameras to look for ash. amanda's acting grabbed me in! she's normally cool and collective, but in this scene she's tipping towards panicking. (((amanda)))

*the on the roof scene with helen and will. i loved the effects and you really felt like they were up there. you could even hear the wind blowing. but what i loved the most was the essence of helen's solitude.

*the ending scene with helen and will in her office. again, there was just something about the way this scene was played that spoke of helen's intimate relationship with solitude. she's got ashley, bigfoot, and henry, but she's ultimately very alone.

Those were my favorite scenes too, though I'd also add the whole confrontation scene with Druitt and Helen.

Okay, two questions

Did I miss something??
                When Silvio was tasering Druitt, he sorta sings a short line that sounded like "...survived. Immortal all the holy Five."

The monster that Will and Bigfoot fight to save Ashley from at the end looked an awful lot like the monster from Will's flashbacks to me. I think we were meant to think it was the same monster, but it wasn't directly identified as such in the episode.

Hope that helps.

sigpic

Comment

i felt/picked up on that too, rocky! i mean, it might not have been put in there for that reason, but like you, i've read amanda say that in more than one interview, so i felt the connection too.
                  Of course you did, after all, great minds think alike . But yeah you're right, it may not have been put in there for that reason, but I definitely felt the connection between Amanda and Helen the very second she said it .

i don't think i thought john (i keep wanting to type jack) was going to hit her, but he scared ME find enough! chris is really a very intense actor. (sooo glad he's on the show!)
                  Could you imagine if Rick was ever on the show and he had to fight John for Helen?

that last scene was *perfect* for the show! just the right tone and feel... and made me feel 'oh, helen! (((helen)))' just watching it.
                  My thoughts exactly

is there no doubt that amanda can carry a show? look at how many ptb are trusting her talent and charm to do so!
                  Well said . I'd trust Amanda with my life, and by this point, after all she's done at work, how she's treated people, I'm sure there's lots of people who love to help her with the show, and who trust her as well .

i missed seeing amanda's ending credits title!
                  Next week . But you got to see her opening credit. *Hugs*

you know, we, as amanda fans, are VERY lucky to have something else to grab on to! i haven't taken that for granted and i don't think i ever will. but if there's such a thing as karma, amanda's definitely on their good side!

sally
                  VERY well said *thumbs up*. I never, ever take Amanda for granted, I admire, love and cherish every moment of Amanda off, and on screen . She's just always such a joy and privilege to watch and listen to. You're like 300% right about her karma Sally, she's super nice and kind to her fans, she treats them like friends, remembers them when she meets them again, she's great to work with, no "star" attitude, and she always considers herself the least best around. Heck, she even calls fans when their sick, and thanks them on her website. Oh, she said in an interview she hates watching herself on screen, and in another interview, she said she didn't deserve to win for breakdown. She did . She's definitely on karma's good side, if not, I don't know who is ,

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post
                  See, I won't ever be able to understand why you do that. I don't give a CRAP what my parents think, I'm watching my flipping shows.
                  Falcon , I don't even know why I do that .

Agreed, it was cool to see Amanda act scared and worried, Sam's always so cool, and calm. Amanda was awesome, as always *wink*.

me too, that moment was like Helen trying to find peace.

Yup, as sad as it is, she really is alone , she has, and has had a lot of people in her life, but she's outlived them all, and unless something's done, she'll outlive Ashley, Bigfoot, Henry and Will too. I hope her gift/curse will be cured.

sally
                  Simple Sally, she's Amanda.

Comment

Okay, two questions

Did I miss something??
                    the t-rex kinda looking thing is what killed will's mommy
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I just watched it with my dad and brother and we're all looking forward to more. Only my brother and I had seen the webisodes, so it was kinda fun watching it with a Sanctary newbie. Part way through my dad had figured out that Helen had to be hundreds of years old, which tells me he was thinking about it and therefore enjoyed it.

I also enjoyed it muchly! I love the changes from the webisodes. I am all for more back story, which is great. It was a little wee bit slow as they tried to mix the old with the new, I felt, but they were just setting up all the plot for the next 11 episodes, so it's forgivable. I am definitely looking forward to more.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                        When Silvio was tasering Druitt, he sorta sings a short line that sounded like "...survived. Immortal all the holy Five."
                        Ah, now that I knew what I was looking for I played it back a few times. He quite clearly said

"Only the chosen left alive, immortals all the holy five."

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                        The monster that Will and Bigfoot fight to save Ashley from at the end looked an awful lot like the monster from Will's flashbacks to me. I think we were meant to think it was the same monster, but it wasn't directly identified as such in the episode.
                        Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                        I agree, no one said they are the same. Will didn't acknowledge it. I have to agree there are similarities in their teeth, but I don't think it's the same monster. I'm sure many dangerous monsters have teeth like that.
                        I thought the clearest thing we saw from Will's memories was the image of arms grabbing his ankles and pulling him away/outside. At first I thought it was the "monster" but by the end I had a strong suspicion it was Bigfoot, yanking him out of the house and away from danger.

And if we're going just off the image of teeth in our comparison of the end monster and Will's monster, well, I agree with ann_sgfan, it's not much to go on.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        the t-rex kinda looking thing is what killed will's mommy
                        Do you know that, or are you guessing/inferring? And by t-rex thing are we talking the final monster where Druitt stuck Ashley or that bipedal one from the beginning from South America?

Comment

i don't thikn it was explicitly stated. but there was a distinct similarity, and will's 'you look familiar' pause when he was rescuing ashley kinda implied it
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

a question. when john injected himself with helen's blood, and then starting falling apart (disintegrate?); just before he made himself go, what did he say to helen?

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

The five, the others, they'll come.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                i don't thikn it was explicitly stated. but there was a distinct similarity, and will's 'you look familiar' pause when he was rescuing ashley kinda implied it
                                He definitely had a telling pause but that simply could have been a holy s*** kind of moment like this is really happening etc. There's certainly a similarity in the teeth/snout. But I think the biggest thing that potentially shoots this theory out of the water is the arms. The end creature had serious claws judging by what it did to Ashley. And Will was dragged out of his house by his ankles (if it wasn't Bigfoot) and you get a pretty decent look at the hands - no claws. Plus, it's safe to say he wasn't injured since we later see Magnus just holding him wrapped in a blanket.

I guess, eventually, we'll find out either way.

Comment

Working...
                                X