No announcement yet.

Nikola Tesla/Helen Magnus Shipper Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been skimming through the discussions about Tesla & Helen, and I have to say - I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one who has all this complicated stuff going on in their head about these two.

If you all don't mind, I'd like to share my thoughts about the two of them.

In all honesty, the stuff that happened in Rome, I believe that Tesla really felt betrayed by Helen and reacted very badly. He had probably, while working on his plot for world domination, had kept building up this fantasy about how she would love his plan, would think he was brilliant, etc etc and to see her shrink away from him, call him crazy, and aim her gun at him (more a gesture than thinking she would kill him), I believe it broke him. Earlier in the episode, he saved her life from that large stake the Cabal threw at him.
    Later, when he came back on the show, he was always helping her, saving her, taking care of 'the children', and generally putting his butt on the line for her. I think Nikola has been in love with her, on some level, ever since Oxford. I believe back then with dating customs being what they were, him knowing she was an English lady and he was a kid from another country and of different social standing than her own (as I recall, Real Life Tesla grew up on a farm?), plus the fact that he had a thick accent - that may have been mocked by jealous classmates, he may have been slow in approching her, then John snapped her up, swept her off her feet, and left Nikola to wait for her heart to heal enough. But then John became a psycho killer, Helen had to run Sanctuary (and take care of Ashley, later on), Nikola had to go into hiding, and the world moved on without Nikola. Helen appears to have had a short relationship with Watson, we know she was engaged to John, and there may have been some other heart breaks (not all of them romantic, but still painful) over the decades - meanwhile Nikola was left to plan, wait, watch, and hope.
    As for Helen, I think she may have truly been so, "I need to be the first woman through Oxford, break all the rules, and be Gregory Magnus's daughter" that she didn't notice Nikola's attention paid to her. She was swept off her feet by John - yet when she's in pain, afraid, and having her DNA changed by the Source Blood, she reaches for Nikola's hand to steady her and make her feel safe. Then John broke her heart, she had to protect the embryo that would be Ashley, she had to take care of Watson & Nigel, take care of the Sanctuary, fake Nikola's death for his own safety, etc. She was always so busy taking care of everyone around her that she got comfortable doing that, comfortable at keeping everyone at arm's length, and Nikola is that one person who gets under her skin, who remembers when she didn't have secrets and didn't have 'history', and who has never lost his faith in her no matter what has happened since Oxford.
    Helen is so guarded and in charge - but Nikola makes her feel young and playful again. Nikola is always protective of his heart and a genious - Helen's the only person who challanges him and who makes him want to take a chance.

Okay, I'm done. Thank you for reading.

Comment

Whoa guys, you've been chatty!

Busy day here so I can only say I am loving the conversation! So many good points - too less time to quote

As to why I personally love Helen and Tesla...
      Uhm, I love Tesla because he's just such a cheeky genius with a heart of gold I can totally identify with that
      And I love Helen because, well, whom else could we pair with Tesla? Most definitely NOT Will
      "Are you like, a crazy person?"
      "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

No definitely not Will. It would be like dating your son

I have to admit, when Sanctuary first started I was thinking about shipping Helen/Will, I then kind of moved on to Helen/John but I was never really satisfied with my decision. It wasn't until S2/S3 that I went with Teslen.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amaunet View Post
          No definitely not Will. It would be like dating your son

I have to admit, when Sanctuary first started I was thinking about shipping Helen/Will, I then kind of moved on to Helen/John but I was never really satisfied with my decision. It wasn't until S2/S3 that I went with Teslen.
          I meant, who else from the show could make a good couple with Tesla? Not Will

I didn't watch anything beyond the pilot for a very long time. Then I stumbled upon a Teslen fanvid and I totally fell for Tesla - even not knowing anything about his story/voice/name yet. JYo was just so brilliantly snarky and elegant in The Five that it really showed in a 4 minutes fanvid <3

ETA: Whoohoo, 2222 posts!
          "Are you like, a crazy person?"
          "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

I never really got into the Will/Helen thing. I did see the appeal of Helen/John for a while, just because of the history. Which is probably why I disliked Helen and Will together so much. He's just too young and too green for her, even if there was attraction, it would only ever be a fleeting affair imo. No one has had the chance to see Helen - really see her - like Nikola has (or John or James really) and to fully appreciate everything she's been through. Everything that's made her who she is - right from her struggle as a woman ahead of her time.

Besides, Will's character annoys me in the way that he wants to be her equal all the time. How can he possibly be her equal after working with her for four years? Even if someone were to come close, wouldn't someone like Declan or Ravi or someone be closer? They'd worked under her for longer. Sure, Will is her protege, but Helen Magnus has been through so much. No matter what side of whatever fight Helen and Nikola were on, they still went through it together.

Comment

^ I couldn't imagine Helen with anyone other than someone from the five. Especially now that she is that much older. I think you would get to the point that you would look at everyone else as 'children'. We definitely know Tesla does.

Originally posted by es! View Post

I didn't watch anything beyond the pilot for a very long time. Then I stumbled upon a Teslen fanvid and I totally fell for Tesla - even not knowing anything about his story/voice/name yet. JYo was just so brilliantly snarky and elegant in The Five that it really showed in a 4 minutes fanvid <3

Haha no sorry I knew exactly what you meant, I was agreeing with you by echoing your statement

Edit: Congrats by the way
              sigpic

Comment

Haha the power of the fanvid!!

Congrats! But now its gonna be sad when you post something else...cos 2222 is so cool...

^ I couldn't imagine Helen with anyone other than someone from the five. Especially now that she is that much older. I think you would get to the point that you would look at everyone else as 'children'. We definitely know Tesla does.
                But especially Tesla. So now mommy and daddy have to get together. There's really nothing else they can do...

Comment

RE: Characterization in general... This probably should go without saying But I'll say it anyway

I feel that one one of the most important aspects of it is that the character plays their role in the story. They have to fit into the story: it's plot (and individual scenes), it's theme, to whatever things the storyteller wants to communicate.

Sometimes themes are less important for characterization (Sanctuary for example isn't that driven by themes, I'd say) but I think more often than not the themes are the most important aspect when it comes to characterization. One simply can't communicate some things using characters who are not suitable for the task.

Feel free to laugh but I love Moomin cartoon for this In it, this characters fit for themes thingy is taken so far one can see the characters representing different emotions people have. Sometimes the emotions are very specific, for example I see Moominpappa as a conflict of a parent who loves their family but can't quite let go of what they gave away for it. Good stuff for children and adults alike (some scenes are somewhat scary though) <3

Then, for a second back to Byronic characters and why I like them. There is (of course ) my inner 14 you old fangirl, but I think Byronic characters have many very human traits that are useful for communicating feelings and ideas. I especially like the damaged part of the characters because in the end, all RL people are somehow damaged. Some more than others, and some live with it better that others, but we all have had experiences that have broken something, that meaning practically all people know the different, often mixed feelings that come with this kind of stuff. We all have to learn to live with our own wounds and Byronic characters reflect the feelings and the different things we'd like to do to cope.

Of course other character types have traits that can be used similarly but personally I believe the Byronic characters are the characters who are mostly defined by these kinds of experiences, other characters to a notably lesser degree.

RE:I don't actually know what xD Probably it is about how the writers of series are often under appreciated and how fanbase often whines about bad writing.

I kind of agree with both... In here, most of the series are subtitled for television and DVD, and often subs are so bad it nearly physically hurts. They are supposedly done by professionals but most of the time fansubs are much better. The language used in subs done by pros, typing errors that find they way to final product... Personally I think it really puts professional translators in shame.

But as they say, you can choose two of three: done well, done fast, done cheaply.

For some reason, done well seems to the one that is often dropped. It is the same for tv writer, I guess. Being an educated, experienced professional doesn't help if you simply don't have time and other resources you need. Tasks are probably coordinated badly, people from different fields are there just tot tie your hands and you, as a single writer, can't even control the main plot! It doesn't help either that you can't see the end product to see how stuff work, simply because it doesn't exist yet.

It certainly isn't a miracle there is and will be problems similar than Sanctuary 4th season finale, where there seemingly wasn't enough screen time to tell the story, when at the same time the episode before it was full of ineffectively used screen time.

But then, bad writing is bad writing. The reasons that lead to the problems don't take that fact (or opinion ) away. They just mean ppl should be shouting to a different person

Comment

I meant to thank you all for recommended series but I forgot Twice

But thanks for ideas! I'll try to remember the series and try them out Just yesterday I spent nearly 100 £ for x-stitch stuff so I'll probably be watching a lot after the package arrives

Originally posted by es! View Post

But I have to admit, that pairing would have certain touch of hawtness in it...

Comment

Originally posted by FromOutside View Post
                      I meant to thank you all for recommended series but I forgot Twice

But thanks for ideas! I'll try to remember the series and try them out Just yesterday I spent nearly 100 £ for x-stitch stuff so I'll probably be watching a lot after the package arrives

But I have to admit, that pairing would have certain touch of hawtness in it...
                      ...a heavy touch.

Comment

i think that nikola is the only one helen can really relate too. for one thing he is the closest to her age (assuming john is dead). and if he's not they have way to much bad history.

nikola has issues relating to people, since most of them aren't as smart as he is. helen is one of the few people that can keep up, and is the only one he respects.

together they make a great couple
                        sigpic

Comment

Given the fact that three of the original five are dead, Helen & Nikola are the only two left who really understand each other. Helen had been there before when Nikola was de-vamped and John was gone with no hope of finding him again in 'Sleeper'.

In my re-watch of 'FK&C', I have the feeling that Nikola 's promise of keeping the whereabout of John a secret from Helen was far more than just being a 'man of his word' but his selfishness in keeping Helen for his own and John from her. He looked more at ease and cheeky when he was with Helen alone and a bit tense when John was around.
                          sigpic
                          Sign by me

Comment

Originally posted by Dinoman View Post
                            Given the fact that three of the original five are dead, Helen & Nikola are the only two left who really understand each other. Helen had been there before when Nikola was de-vamped and John was gone with no hope of finding him again in 'Sleeper'.

In my re-watch of 'FK&C', I have the feeling that Nikola 's promise of keeping the whereabout of John a secret from Helen was far more than just being a 'man of his word' but his selfishness in keeping Helen for his own and John from her. He looked more at ease and cheeky when he was with Helen alone and a bit tense when John was around.
                            Never thought about it that way. But it does make sense and seems like something he would do.

Dropping off a new vid too, the one to "Better Than I Know Myself", as suggested by Leesilm.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWyr8...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by ZaraShade View Post
                              Dropping off a new vid too, the one to "Better Than I Know Myself", as suggested by Leesilm.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWyr8...ature=youtu.be
                              Thanks for sharing, comments left!
                              sigpic
                              Sign by me

Comment

Originally posted by Dinoman View Post

I never thought of that either. I always thought John had threatened to harm him if he told, because of what Nikola said about him not being a vampire anymore and John still being a stone-cold killer. But he's a genius so maybe he had more than one reason.
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X