^^
    You two crack me up
    My pleasure!
    sigpic
    Sign by me

Comment

^ Indeed.

Comment

New here! I was looking to see if there were other Tesla/Helen fans out there. And then I found this! Nice to see other fans of them out there. My sister and I love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Altariel View Post
          I think the "hottie at SCIU", the redhead, knew the truth about him, her comment to Helen that she knows him for a very long time and her comment that he´s an amazing men makes me think that she at least knew that he is the real Nikola Tesla and after all they seemed to be pretty close, or not, when he is not even able to remember her name!?! Or maybe the hottie he was talking about was another women. Strange. Who knows how many he had there.

I really would like to know if he´s a stud-muffin or if he´s only pretending to be one.
          I thought I would give my interpretation of Tesla.

I don't think he is either. Rather I believe he is Byronic. Meaning, he's above human laws and institutions. He's superior to everyone else and does not need to pretend. Byronic Heroes don't need to pretend because they really believe they are superior. We get this when Tesla is first introduced to the series. He says to Helen that he loved her more than that lunatic Druitt ever did. Meaning Druitt's love is weaker than his own.

This is the mind of a non-pretender. He truly believes what he says because he would never believe in any kind of incompetence in himself. A pretender pretends because they feel inferior and overcompensate. This is not Tesla. He is aware of his own sexual appeal and I think the writers have made it apparent that Tesla and Helen have some kind of romantic past that we have not been clued into yet. Probably sexual.

"You STILL like me." "I guess your father liked us best as a COUPLE." Or my favorite..."Vienna in springtime...Remember?" (And her very interesting reaction). History wise that would probably would have been when Tesla was visiting Austria in the late 1890s or early 1900s. Was she with him? Hmmm.

In history, many women were in love with Tesla but he didn't (as far as anyone knows) love anyone in return, rather he was more focused on his work.

On the show I think they've taken a little bit from history but mixed it with the Byronic archetype and the historical fiction addition of Helen. Basically, my interpretation is that he isn't going to sleep around because he's above that. He has a very specific type which just about excludes all women but Helen.

He's very charismatic and very magnetic, so women are drawn to him. But as you see in 2x10, the college girl/vampire/ditz doesn't appeal to him. He shows he CAN seduce her, therefore disproving that he pretends to be a studmuffin, but then devamps her while also insulting her intelligence (or lack thereof). He wouldn't sleep with her because to him she's intellectually inferior.

So we know he isn't a pretender. The SCIU woman was clearly taken with him also. I think it likely he was sleeping with her, but it's clear he didn't have any real feelings for her (he couldn't even remember her name). In my opinion, Tesla was using her as a Helen substitute. She was working there, so she must be intelligent. Plus it's implied that he told her a lot of his history. Why? He loved his pigeon more than her. I think he was using her as his pet. Kind of like when Spike uses the Buffy doll in BTVS. He can unload to her because he needs to share his intellectual "superiority" with someone. She could appreciate how smart he is and he allowed it.

When the woman hugged him, he was worried and kept looking at Helen. There must have been something going on. Helen knew. Tesla knew she knew. But she was clearly nothing to him. He didn't show any sense of worry for her. She was a distraction and a toy to him. One he didn't really want Helen knowing he played with.

So if he isn't faking, is he then a stud-muffin? I say no because it goes back to his lack of interest in most women. They bore him. With the vampire queen, finally he finds one more woman who fits into his ridiculous criteria. But then she turns out to be a nut.

Overall, I think Tesla is not a womanizer, but women wish that he would like them. He can be amused or even find distraction in women, but it doesn't seem like it's at the top of his priority list. I also don't think he's a pretender because it's not in his nature.

Comment

Welcome to our little party here, silvervintage82. Surely you'll find lots of Teslen fans here, have fun!
            sigpic
            Sign by me

Comment

Just thought I'd drop this by...

sigpic

Comment

This is probably going to be completely off-topic because I just had this idea and thought I'd put it on here.

I have no skills with computers so I can't do this, but you think anyone could do a fanvid of Tesla & Magnus using Adam Lambert's new song, "Better than I know Myself" ? I heard it earlier and it just struck me as being very like them.

Just an idea.

Comment

Nice analysis, silvervintage!
                  I mostly agree with you apart from Nikola's imvolvement with Dr. Coates. Maybe she was tehre to listen and to fangirl over him, but I doubt they had anything physical going on. I think Nikola would be just too distracted by all the research opportunities to spend any serious amount of time outside of the lab. But he knows there are intimate supply closets there so who knows Nah, seriously, he doesn't seem to be the type for a 5-minutes thing in a closet. I believe he tends to forget his physical need (goes for eating and sleeping too!) when he is engrossed in a project.

That's a really sweet banner, Nolamom! <3

Great find, Leesilm! I hope somebody will make a vid to that song. There are so many talented vidders here
                  "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                  "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Originally posted by es! View Post
                    I hope somebody will make a vid to that song. There are so many talented vidders here
                    If I had the time I couldve attempted vidding that. But Im working on my final vidding vid (hehe) at the moment. Its my final because I will have to put all my energy into my final year of schooling. But i'll be back!
                    Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
                    - Doctor Who (series 7)
                    - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
                    - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
                    - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
                    - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

Welcome silvervintage82!

Nice banner Nolamom! She really is thinking of him. All the time. I contest that half the time she spends at her desk she's really just day-dreaming of Nikola.

I have no skills with computers so I can't do this, but you think anyone could do a fanvid of Tesla & Magnus using Adam Lambert's new song, "Better than I know Myself" ? I heard it earlier and it just struck me as being very like them.

Just an idea.
                      Ooh never heard it but then I went and listened to it and all I can say is TESLEN. I may just be inclined to make a vid to it... seeing as iJoke isn't.

iJoke: If I had the time I couldve attempted vidding that. But Im working on my final vidding vid (hehe) at the moment. Its my final because I will have to put all my energy into my final year of schooling. But i'll be back!
                      OMG noo! But I love your vids. And I feel less of an insane vidder with someone else. But I get that school comes first. I'm sure you'll do great in your final year!

Speaking of vids (what a great segue that was) here's my latest one -
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_36dyRanmM

Word of warning...is somewhat sad. Darn my proclivity for sad shippy vids. I was all ready to make an upbeat one and then ^that happened.

Comment

[QUOTE=silvervintage82;13132404]I thought I would give my interpretation of Tesla. ............

QUOTE]

Welcome. Interesting interpretation, especially what you wrote about him being a non-pretender and not getting involved with women he feels are intellectually inferior. I also believe he's very discriminating and won't bother with a woman who doesn't measure up to his standards. Not sure I agree that he slept with Dr. Coates though. He obviously had "something" going on with her, but I think it's not clear as to how far it went.

Originally posted by Dinoman View Post
                        I don't think Nikola expected the answer to be otherwise or even a firm answer when he asked the question, just like you ask your darling/sweetheart/honey "do you love me?". He was pretty if not absolutely sure that Helen would choose to sacrifice Will in whatever the situation. He may think it's fun to see her reaction, and Helen is smart enough to know his trick and gave him a diplomatic answer (which is something that women have an instinct for).
                        Hmmm. I thought he seemed a little hesitant and almost shy when she said "whom would I have chosen?" and he answered "yeah, kind of." It even looked like he kind of shrugged his shoulders just a bit. And then when she didn't give him a direct answer he kind of shakes his head a little at the very end, like he could have been thinking 'she's not going to admit the truth' OR 'she's not going to tell me.' At least that's what I thought it looked like. To me that meant he couldn't be quite sure. I do agree about Helen though, She's smart enough and has known him long enough to know his bag of tricks. That look on her face at the end. Anyway, I think TPTB deliberately left it ambiguous, knowing we'd have fun trying to interpret it.

Originally posted by ZaraShade View Post

Speaking of vids (what a great segue that was) here's my latest one -
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_36dyRanmM

Word of warning...is somewhat sad. Darn my proclivity for sad shippy vids. I was all ready to make an upbeat one and then ^that happened.
                        Nice. Maybe your next one can be an upbeat one then.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

I think Dr. Coats´ behaviour towards Helen is just too strange that something serious (and with serious I mean sleeping with each other) went on. If there was something I´m pretty sure Dr. Coats would have been somewhat jealous. I really like to think that they were good co-workers, maybe friends and over the times he came to like her and therefore opened up to her a bit and told her something about Helen and their adventures and only because she hugged him and called him Nikki that does´t mean they were sleeping with each other. I think she was ashamed for herself when she hugged him but that was the situation, normal people are not used to that and therefore the overreaction.

Re: the end of chimera, I had always the impression that it was clear for him that she would have chosen him and therefore his smile.

Comment

Hey guys,

here's my Teslen promo vid for Fanfic4Kids for S4K:

Check it out, the fun begins on Jan, 21!
                            "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                            "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Originally posted by NumberSix View Post
                              Hmmm. I thought he seemed a little hesitant and almost shy when she said "whom would I have chosen?" and he answered "yeah, kind of." It even looked like he kind of shrugged his shoulders just a bit. And then when she didn't give him a direct answer he kind of shakes his head a little at the very end, like he could have been thinking 'she's not going to admit the truth' OR 'she's not going to tell me.' At least that's what I thought it looked like. To me that meant he couldn't be quite sure. I do agree about Helen though, She's smart enough and has known him long enough to know his bag of tricks. That look on her face at the end. Anyway, I think TPTB deliberately left it ambiguous, knowing we'd have fun trying to interpret it.
                              I agree he was hesitant, shy and even a little nervous when he asked the question. He didn't even ask the whole question but let Helen finished it for him. He might think it made him seemed vulnerable and weak by asking so, which is a complete opposite of his confident and egomaniacal self. On the other hand I think he didn't seem to care much about showing his vulnerability before Helen to enjoy her sympathy and maternal love.

Recently I'm rewatching all Tesla episodes to fix my Sanctuary withdrawal symptoms and I think Nikola behaved like a naughty kid around Helen instead of a worthy, matching partner in Season 1-3 and until "Resistance" in Season 4 he turned into a grown-up and mature counterpart that Helen could rely on.
                              sigpic
                              Sign by me

Comment

Thanks for all the welcomes! I hope people won't mind if I add in more personal interpretation of Tesla.

First, as for the SCIU Doctor, I do agree that they did not make it completely clear what was going on with them. And everyone here has made good arguments!

Do I personally think they were more than friends? At least from her perspective, I think so. Do I think they were sleeping together? Probably. But that's just my interpretation and since they didn't spell it out it certainly can be interpreted in different ways. If they were sleeping together was it serious? Certainly not on his part.

It reminds me of when he had the conversation with Will about how he had fallen in love countless times (though I don't think he was in love with the "hottie"). Certainly he had to have slept with some of these women. He doesn't strike me as the asexual type, the moral type, or the wait only for Helen type (in relation to sex, not actual relationships - in that case he is quite capable of waiting). Personally, he reminds me a bit of Rochester, at least in one way (as I'll go over later on below).

Rochester is also a Byronic Hero, like Tesla.

According to Atara Stein (an expert who has written a book about Byronic Heroes) there are three different types. One: "the leader-hero who pursues justice outside the law through explosive violence." Two: "the angst-ridden loner hero who views his power as a burden and pines for human existence." And then there's three: the combination of "both leader-hero and gloomy egotist."

The first type, at least from my own interpretation, would be characters like Eric from True Blood, Spike from Buffy, Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights, Damon from The Vampire Diaries, etc..

The second type, also from my own interpretation, would be characters like Angel from Buffy, Stefan from The Vampire Diaries, Druitt from Sanctuary, Bill from True Blood, etc...

Then Type 3: The combination which I think would include characters like Rochester.

Personally I think Tesla falls into the Type 1. He's the mocking/sarcastic leader-hero who does not pine for human existence.

Byronic Heroes typically have an all consuming passion. I believe Tesla has two all consuming passions which he alludes to in 1x07. One...science. And two...Helen. Druitt on the other hand only has one...Helen. Everything he does connects to his love for Helen. Tesla even says this in 3x17 about Druitt:

Tesla: I know Johnny. He has no love for any country.
                                Assistant: Then why show up in France all of a sudden?
                                Tesla: Well Johnny has his own set of rules which he rarely deviates from.
                                Assistant: You mean his love for killing innocent people...
                                Tesla: No! His love for Helen. He'd never let her come to harm. Not intentionally.
                                I think Tesla understands Druitt's thought process because his own is very similar.

Going back to Rochester. In the book it is clear that Rochester had many affairs. He believed himself to have been in love countless times. But when he looks back he realizes he didn't really love them. His only real love is Jane. Tesla, I believe, is similar. I think he has had meaningless affairs, maybe even convinced himself of love countless times, but his only REAL love, his only REAL all consuming passion is Helen.

That's just my take anyway!

Comment

Working...
                                X