No announcement yet.

Nikola Tesla/Helen Magnus Shipper Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heads up: Reading & Reviewing great Teslen stories for charity! Indulging into a hobby has never been sweeter

Check out this project on fanfiction.net:

+++++
    On the 21st of January three authors from the Sanctuary fanfiction community will be uploading Teslen (Helen/Tesla for the uninformed) oneshots. Yeah yeah, we know, this happens all the time but guess what? There's a twist!! We're going to use our totally warped imaginations for philanthropic purposes!!

For each signed review we receive on these stories, we'll donate $2 AUD (or equivalent) to Sanctuary4Kids (S4K)! The author who receives the most reviews by the 28th of January will also donate another half on top of the amount already raised by their reviews!

The participating authors are:

chartreuseian

Emmy1512

LoveActuallyFan

We ask all Sanctuary fans out there to step up and give us a review on these stories (they'll be clearly marked so you can't miss 'em). The more reviews, the more money Sanctuary4Kids will get!!

So come one, come all and support us as we try and turn our obsessions into something that will actually benefit the world!!!

Disclaimer: S4K and fanfiction.net are in no way affiliated with the fundraising process and all content belongs to the respective owners (as much as we might wish otherwise).
    +++++
    "Are you like, a crazy person?"
    "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

^^ Even if you don't have an account, now would be a good time to make one so you can review and support these amazing authors guys!

Comment

Originally posted by es! View Post
        Heads up: Reading & Reviewing great Teslen stories for charity! Indulging into a hobby has never been sweeter
        Thanks for the heads up, es!. I have more reasons to immerse myself in squeesy Teslen fanfic!

Originally posted by FromOutside View Post
        The second line of though is that Tesla uses the word 'love' in a different way that many others do. His comments (that in the quote, his confession in Rome, the SCIU hottie he loved etc.) feel right, like he means them, but his actions don't support the words, not when it's Helen whose words command him. Like the three magical words, "out with it", and he'll tell her any masterplan he is working with

Personally I find the second line of thought more interesting. What a person truly means when s/he says 'I love you' tells a lot of him or her... I mean, it may be anything from 'I want to see your pants falling off NOW, not tomorrow' to 'I want to spend the rest of my life with you and work hard for us when we face hardship, so that you'll always be the first thing I'll think when considering a new decision'. What does it mean when Tesla says it? 'You are smart and somewhat pretty, you are not boring and you fascinate me. Play some mental games with me and join me when I insult Edison, it would amuse me greatly'?
        I too think the 2nd thought fits better with Teslen. For Tesla love doesn't really equal sex. He 'loves' everything: animals, women, electricity, etc... He clearly identifies the nature of love in psychological sense so he is the 'sanest' lover I ever known, and basically he loves anything that brings him joy.

Reviewing the relationship between Tesla & Helen, I don't think they felt in love or engaged in romantic relationship from the early days in London. Back in the Oxford days clearly Helen was in love with Druitt until they injected the source blood and Druitt became the Ripper. In Normandy Helen 'looked' like she was with Watson. In those two occasions I didn't see Tesla was romantically involved with Helen. I remember JY said in the character profile that Tesla's love to Helen is out of respect, care and friendship. Even when in Rome Tesla said he loves Helen simply because he wants her to help him to complete his plan, not love in a romantic sense.

My theory is Tesla loves to tease Helen and all the fun banters with her (here comes the bolded part from FromOutside) but not yet gives any serious thought as to romantic love until in Chimera when he asks her whom she would have chosen if not for the benefit of the Sanctuary. I think he was sort of surprise when Helen gave him the answer, at least that's what I interpreted the look on his face (see photo in spoiler). At that moment he realised that Helen loves him more than simple respect, friendship and care, and his thought was confirmed by the kiss in SFN2. So at the end of SFN2 I would say his looks was a genuine fear of losing his love, i.e. Helen.

Spoiler:

Gosh! I really enjoy doing this! I can write up a doctorate thesis on Teslen. Does the Department of Tesla Affairs offers a doctorate degree on Teslen-ology that I can enroll??
        sigpic
        Sign by me

Comment

I don't know. I'm not entirely convinced that he didn't feel something more for her in the past. Even if they didn't engaged in a romantic relationship, who's to say he didn't love her? Maybe Helen was too enamoured with John to noticed Nikola's affection, and Nikola didn't tell her because he thought she loved John.

In "The Five" Helen looked genuinely shocked when Nikola said he loved her, so he evidently hadn't told her that before (even in a friendship way?). He seemed pretty naively genuine too, and when she reacted the way she did, he seemed hurt. That's when he tried to kill her. Even if he were just saying it to persuade her to help him, was it really just for that purpose, or was a part of it truth after not seeing her for years? Perhaps a tiny part of him hoped she would return some sort of affection to him and help him with his plan. But then again Nikola's character seems to have changed so much from that ep.

I think his surprise in Chimera came not from his own realisation of feelings, but at the revelation that Helen may return them. He's just grown used to the idea that she would never see him as more than a friend.

Btw - is anyone else having trouble logging into fanfic? I'm trying to see if it's just my computer, or some system thing.

Comment

*points at her location*
            Dino, you can submit your doctorate thesis any time

ZS,
            ff.net hasn't been working for me for 8-9 hours already
            ETA: it works now.

As for Nikola in love, I sort of agree with both Dino and ZS.

I think it was more care, friendship and respect for him earlier in the days of Oxford, and probably some naive infatuation that was not acknowledged by any of them. When he grew older and became more confident (and a vampire), I can imagine that his admiration of her brilliance made him actually want all of her for himself, but it was probably and on-and-off thing. I see you - I want to be with you - you are away - I forget about you because of my latest invention.

I really think that flirting with Helen became so automatic this century that he was genuinely surprised when he realized she actually might return his affections (after Chimera).

In general, I think people can fall in love with each other again and again on new levels after discovering new facettes of the other's personality. I really believe that their convo after Chimera had the potential to make him fall in love with her anew, simply because of the ego boost and "OMG she's interested! she cares!". I hope you guys know what I mean
            Last edited by es!; 09 January 2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

ZS,
              ff.net hasn't been working for me for 8-9 hours already
              Well, I finally managed to log in to update two of my fics. But I still can't access reviews or PMs. It's going all haywire. Methinks there may be a sentient organic nanite somewhere...

In general, I think people can fall in love with each other again and again on new levels after discovering new facettes of the other's personality. I really believe that their convo after Chimera had the potential to make him fall in love with her anew, simply because of the ego boost and "OMG she's interested! she cares!". I hope you guys know what I mean
              *nods* I get ya.
              If people can fall in love with each other anew over the course of many years, doesn't that mean that it would be so much more for immortals? Not meaning any two immortals in particular or anything *cough*... I mean to know someone for that long, you'd get to know them so well. So to continually discover new things about them and fall in love with them, it would be so deep. I'm sorry if I'm not making sense, my brain is all fried from writing my Telepathic update.

Comment

It totally makes sense

So to continually discover new things about them and fall in love with them, it would be so deep.
                Sure. People change with years. Immortals like Helen and Nikola do lots of interesting, exciting things and change slightly in the process, so they can always learn something new about each other no matter how much they know already. Maybe it's that "familiar and yet mysterious" thing that's the turn-on for them Especially since they don't live together. They see each other like every 10 years in average

Comment

It totally makes sense
                  Yay, lol.

Sure. People change with years. Immortals like Helen and Nikola do lots of interesting, exciting things and change slightly in the process, so they can always learn something new about each other no matter how much they know already. Maybe it's that "familiar and yet mysterious" thing that's the turn-on for them Especially since they don't live together. They see each other like every 10 years in average
                  Bolded: ooh I like that. It does seem like that with them, doesn't it? They know each other so well, have known each other for longer than most people have been alive, and yet because of that fact they are mysterious because of all the amazing things they do/have done.

Comment

Right.
                    It needed to be that dramatic. Jonathan and I talked about it, like we’ve keyed up all these little moments like Vienna in the spring and these little teases that we’ve given the audience. It’s a good-bye. It’s “I love you, get the F out of here because this whole thing is going to blow and one of us has to survive.”
                    Vienna in the spring? What is she referring too?

Comment

In the ep "Chimera" Tesla thought the virtual Sanctuary would be cooler, like "Vienna in springtime...remember?" So they were together in Vienna at one point and now it´s your job to imagine what happened there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinoman View Post

My theory is Tesla loves to tease Helen and all the fun banters with her (here comes the bolded part from FromOutside) but not yet gives any serious thought as to romantic love until in Chimera when he asks her whom she would have chosen if not for the benefit of the Sanctuary. I think he was sort of surprise when Helen gave him the answer, at least that's what I interpreted the look on his face (see photo in spoiler). At that moment he realised that Helen loves him more than simple respect, friendship and care, and his thought was confirmed by the kiss in SFN2. So at the end of SFN2 I would say his looks was a genuine fear of losing his love, i.e. Helen.

Spoiler:
                        [IMG]http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j439/yamiinsane/Sanctuary%20Season%204%20Screencaps/4x09%20Chimera/4x0929112011-0814.png[IMG]

Gosh! I really enjoy doing this! I can write up a doctorate thesis on Teslen. Does the Department of Tesla Affairs offers a doctorate degree on Teslen-ology that I can enroll??
                        I don't think that is quite right. In Chimera she never actually said she would have chosen him. She gave a diplomatic answer of, Do you even have to ask? Which doesn't actually mean anything. She answered a question with a question, which of course really isn't an answer at all. It let her respond while keeping her anonymity. The look he gave her was more like an appreciation of how clever she is(which is why he likes her) than him realizing that she was saying she would choose him. Its a bit of a game to them both I think.

Comment

Well, I think it was pretty clear that she would haven chosen him and I believe that scene was meant to say that. But that´s just me. Never she would have chosen Will, I mean she knows him for 3 years, Nikola for 200. And if Nikola would be so self confident like he wants us to believe he is, he really wouldn´t need to ask.

Comment

I don't think Nikola expected the answer to be otherwise or even a firm answer when he asked the question, just like you ask your darling/sweetheart/honey "do you love me?". He was pretty if not absolutely sure that Helen would choose to sacrifice Will in whatever the situation. He may think it's fun to see her reaction, and Helen is smart enough to know his trick and gave him a diplomatic answer (which is something that women have an instinct for).
                            sigpic
                            Sign by me

Comment

Originally posted by Dinoman View Post
                              I don't think Nikola expected the answer to be otherwise or even a firm answer when he asked the question, just like you ask your darling/sweetheart/honey "do you love me?". He was pretty if not absolutely sure that Helen would choose to sacrifice Will in whatever the situation. He may think it's fun to see her reaction, and Helen is smart enough to know his trick and gave him a diplomatic answer (which is something that women have an instinct for).
                              LOL! Helen and Nikola's evasive game-playing version of a 'do you love me?'

Comment

^
                                ^^
                                You two crack me up

Comment

Working...
                                X