Nikola Tesla/Helen Magnus Shipper Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lillypilly View Post
    they're both very similar in a lot of ways, but at the same time they have wildly different motivations and goals. Nikola is basically aiming to be the world's greatest misanthropist (even if I often suspect his natural inclination is in the other direction - he's just been hurt so many times by people he's been close to and admired), while Helen, who cares about everyone, often at the expense of herself, is the opposite.
    I think Nikola's misanthropic side comes from what he knows is true for the humankind. Most of people don't share his passion for science (and other things), and what is started is often quitted because it wasn't as easy as it looked like. 150 years of watching this, what else can we expect? Nikola's intelligence doesn't help either. Lesser men and women have turned misanthropist in shorter time because of this... In other words, I think Nikola loves humans at their brightest so much he can't stand it when they are lagging behind.

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
    But Nikola has proven (subtly, but he has) that his ultimate cause is Helen. He would do anything for her, so therefore if she has a cause to defend, then he will eventually end up defending it simply because it's HERS. Don't forget that he obeyed every order Helen gave him about creating the weapon that they used to fight off Ashley and the Cabal super-vampires. Helen ASKED him to make the weapon fatal (by giving him Ash's blood) and he agreed to do it because of the fact that Helen wanted him to.
    This is my point exactly, and what I think is the most difficult issue to overcome Nikola knew better but he did what Helen asked him to do. The cost was lives lost and extra damage done to the Sanctuary network. By trying to protect her, he was compromising what she believes in. What a choice to make!

Originally posted by misaditas View Post
    It's interesting that the thing Niko does when he's away from the Sanctuary is attempt world domination. He has to know his chances are minimal, even if Helen wasn't around to stop im. It's like he replaces one impossible task - having Helen fall in love with him - with another. I think that says a lot about how important she is to him, because he has to replace her with something more epic, more impossible.
    Nice thinking! Though I don't think Nikola is after taking over the world. He said he is, but he likely doesn't mean half of the things he says. No the way he says them anyway. So I think his comment on world domination was not about actual world domination. It is just a good word to use about different, non-specific and potentially impossible, dangerous and ethically questionable plans.

Maybe his vampire project in The Sleepers could be seen as an attempt for world domination but I think he could do better than creating vampires ready for business world to achieve the goal... Not that I wouldn't love it if Tesla was about to cook up some dangerous project to become the dictator of the world

Comment

I never saw Nikola as a misanthropist, and I really think he is in fact not one. I mean this character is designed after the real person, isn´t he? Except the vampire thing of course. Tesla made his inventions for the entire human race, so did Sanctuary Tesla, Helen, in "The five" said something regarding this. "Your gifts to the world" Or something like that. And I think he is way too gentle to be described like that, for example when Abby was introduced, or Clara and to the vampire kids in "Sleepers" he never was snotty IMHO. To the girl he actually was nice, when he devamped her.

Regarding the world domination thing, I believe thats just chitchat, maybe just to get Helens attention. I really can not imagine him beeing that cruel, how it would be necessary for him to accomplish his plans.

I ask again, regarding the DVD feature, why did they change their clothes?

Comment

IMO, Nikola has enough intelligence that if he really wanted to rule the world, he'd be doing it already. He's clever and charming and could easily gain political power. That he hasn't seems to suggest that's not really his goal.

I think it's just a game he plays, with the result of occasionally getting Helen's attentions. Let's not forget the guy she was with happened to be Jack the Ripper. Maybe Nikola thinks if he has enough of a bad reputation she'll find him attractive *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by Altariel View Post
          Why did they do this? I would really like to know
          Spoiler:
          In the commentary for Animus, they mentions that they shouldn`t have changed outfits for continuity, so they had to throw in explanations for why Helen and Nikola were wearing different clothes than they were earlier in the day.(In the episode, Helen mentions changing and Nikola had a shower.) So Damian was like "Yeah, they were having sex, that`s why they changed" and Robin was like "No, they were just showering together."

Comment

referring to above:

i think will and kate don't really trust nikola and he does see them as children almost. same goes for henry, though i love their scenes (especially when they were geeking out over a hollow earth thing).

i agree, that the whole "world domination thing" is mostly just talk, he does what to be recognized with what he does. and probably to get helen's attention sometimes. but to actually do it, i can't see him being that cruel either.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Altariel View Post
              I never saw Nikola as a misanthropist, and I really think he is in fact not one. I mean this character is designed after the real person, isn´t he? Except the vampire thing of course. Tesla made his inventions for the entire human race, so did Sanctuary Tesla, Helen, in "The five" said something regarding this. "Your gifts to the world" Or something like that. And I think he is way too gentle to be described like that, for example when Abby was introduced, or Clara and to the vampire kids in "Sleepers" he never was snotty IMHO. To the girl he actually was nice, when he devamped her.
              Tesla, both the real one and Sanctuary`s, may have become an inventor to help people. But that doesn`t mean he enjoys being around them. RL Tesla was notorious for keeping to himself. The only reason he was nice to Abby was because of her "assets", and he tolerated Clara because she was badass. And Sleepers was 30 minutes straight of Nikola insulting the trust fund vamps. I swear Tesla must have Asperger`s syndrome. He really has no idea how to deal with people.

Comment

It's too bad it got lost in the whole "we're running for our life" thing and Helen wasn't paying attention.

But...GAH. *SQUEEFLAIL* SO CUTE. <3

Interesting that HE's the one who feels safe around HELEN. I mean, for all his craziness, I always get the feeling that it's the other way around, because Helen has shown herself to be vulnerable at times. But his little line there is pretty telling - he's vulnerable too, underneath all the cheekiness and arrogance. Plus it's like to him Helen is the only one who really SEES him (or at least sort of does) instead of the egomaniac everyone else sees, so maybe that's what makes him feel safe.
                And he's always so desperate for her attention. But in a cute way. Unlike John, who's desperate in a creepy way. It's amazing how big a difference subtleties can make.
                Interesting .... I just saw that line as him acting like a smart @$$, you know, humorous sarcasm. Because as a vampire he didn't feel very threatened by the cabal who were after them. He kind of acted like it was a game and Helen even says something like "whatever game you're playing with the cabal."
                But I can also see if there's anyone he'd feel safe with emotionally it's Helen.
                sigpic
                Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

Ah, geez this is just so epic that I can barely contain myself.

I hope that the writers realise that, accidentally or not, they're writing a love story. Nikola's loved Helen for so long, but it's not the obsessional, possessive love (and I question that word in this context) that John has for her, but a respectful, loyal, abiding love. He would wait forever for her and that is absolutely beautiful.

It's interesting that the thing Niko does when he's away from the Sanctuary is attempt world domination. He has to know his chances are minimal, even if Helen wasn't around to stop im. It's like he replaces one impossible task - having Helen fall in love with him - with another. I think that says a lot about how important she is to him, because he has to replace her with something more epic, more impossible.

He's going to be fun to watch when she does return his affections, though. Both times she kisses him, she throws him for a loop. He's wanted her for so long that I think when he finally gets her he's going to be a bit lost as to what to actually do. For all his suggestive comments and come ons, I don't think he really has a clue, and that's gonna be adorable to see. I really want to see Helen seduce him while he stands there utterly bewildered and not quite believing his luck
                  ^THIS

I hope Helen realizes that fully, that he would wait forever, even if she's not ready to jump into anything just yet. Because up till now she's been pretty oblivious to it. And yes, TPTB are writing a love story. Because AT and J-Yo are pretty much making them do it with the way they keep playing their characters lol

Interesting about the impossible task thing - I'd never thought of it that way before. That's probably partly true, that he's trying to replace winning Helen with winning the world as a means of distraction, but I think there is a huge part of the idealist in him that wants to create what he thinks is a perfect world. Although I'm pretty sure somewhere in there he knows it can never happen

And *squee* yeah, I totally agree about him being clueless when it comes to Helen returning his affections. Like in the DVD interview, they all said that he flirts but he knows that he can never get Helen. Or thinks that. So when he actually does get what he wants, he's going to be like I DON'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING WHAT WTF DOES NOT COMPUTE. He'll be in too much shock to do anything lol Because I don't think he ever really believed she'd actually come around one day. In that *spoiler* scene his face is just priceless - first he's confused, then he just looks so stunned, and after it's over he can't even say anything at all let alone come up with some cheeky farewell statement. It's rather adorable
                  "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                  sigpic
                  Sig by ME!!!

Comment

It's beyond adorable. The whole waiting aspect just makes me all melty inside.

With that in mind, I committed fic. It's a little angsty, I'm afraid, but the next one should be happier (and 'shippier, LOL).

Comment

With that in mind, I committed fic. It's a little angsty, I'm afraid, but the next one should be happier (and 'shippier, LOL).
                      I LOVED IT. Especially the equation part and the reference to his line in "Awakening."
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Wow .... So many discussions to read I can't keep up
                        On the edge of breaking down
                        sigpic
                        Banner made by me

Comment

Just read it - so good! I love the 'equation' line.

As for the whole 'why Niko tries for world domination' discussion, I think it's more because of the impossible nature of the task itself rather than trying to distract himself. Though, I guess the two kind of overlap. I think that he's just trying to work towards impossible goals, things he knows will never really happen (and if they do, then it'll be a happy accident 'cos he'll rule the world). He's effectively immortal, and so he has centuries, to do what? After a time, trying to help humanity - who just keep screwing themselves, and him, because let's face it he has a lot to be bitter about - better themselves would get tedious. He is a genius, so he must get bored very easily. Having a feat that is nigh on impossible may alleviate that a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ZaraShade View Post

As for the whole 'why Niko tries for world domination' discussion, I think it's more because of the impossible nature of the task itself rather than trying to distract himself. Though, I guess the two kind of overlap. I think that he's just trying to work towards impossible goals, things he knows will never really happen (and if they do, then it'll be a happy accident 'cos he'll rule the world). He's effectively immortal, and so he has centuries, to do what? After a time, trying to help humanity - who just keep screwing themselves, and him, because let's face it he has a lot to be bitter about - better themselves would get tedious. He is a genius, so he must get bored very easily. Having a feat that is nigh on impossible may alleviate that a bit.
                            This is true. Especially after getting cheated so many times by people he called "friends," he probably was like "screw it, I give up on these morons."

Plus, yes, as a genius he would have to get bored easily. I think it's part of the reason he bothers Helen so much. Because he's (a) bored and needs something interesting to do, (b) lonely and wants someone to do something with, and (c) misses the old days when he and Helen used to go on adventures all the time together.

^actually, thinking about (b) and (c) is kinda sad Helen's really his only friend in the world so he has to keep badgering her for attention because he doesn't have anyone else to spend time with. Awww
                            sigpic
                            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I LOVED IT. Especially the equation part and the reference to his line in "Awakening."
                              Thanks! I'm hugely relieved that it's gone over so well - I was really nervous (because I'm a twit, LOL)

I imagine that Nikola takes a very logical approach to everything, even being in love, which is why I played it as an equation - a problem for him to solve. I'm pleased people liked that (and slightly worried by the comments of him suiting me, heh).

Comment

Originally posted by yamiinsane View Post
                                Amy: Just read the story! And I LOVED IT!!!!!!!! It was awesome how you wove everything together the way you did
                                Thanks!

I think I said it a while ago, but I want to see their roles in "Awakening" reversed at some point. Nikola nearly losing it while Helen is REALLY dying or in very grave danger like
                                How about lilypilly's fic: Queen for a Day
                                I hope you don't mind me linking your fic here, but I think it belongs

I know it's more in his character to try to suppress his fear, but if a situation that urgent came up I think he'd totally freak out just like Helen did over him (if not more so). I think it would provide even more solid proof that he really does care deeply for her (since there are STILL those out there complaining about the "he would have killed her!" in "The Five"). Plus, if the "children" were around they'd get to see Niko in a completely different light and realize that underneath it all, he's technically not a selfish jerk like comes across as. Especially Will...that guy needs a brick to the head. I cannot believe he's a psychologist and hasn't noticed the *oddities* in Niko's and Helen's behavior regarding each other.
                                I don't know how people can still think he was ACTUALLY going to kill her
                                And I agree about Will... seems a little strange... perhaps in S4 he'll realise that Helen actually does care a lot for Nikola, and pain-in-the-a$$ or not they should seriously get together then he can encourage them!

Originally posted by FromOutside View Post
                                I'll join the discussion Even though I don't ship Tesla/Helen that much... I think there is something in the air, maybe even love, but that kind of love that can never be lived true. If Tesla and Helen ever had a chance, the time window was closed a long time ago. Still, the feelings never completely die.
                                Glad you've joined the discussion I think re: bolded if anything he has a much better chance now then he ever has in the past... but most of my thoughts have already been posted by others so I shalln't just repeat them

Just read and reviewed. I love the way you wrote it and made it work so well! Sooo good.
                                Thanks

I think he does know that Helen cares for Nikola - and that's the problem. Let's face it; Helen's taste in men is hardly stellar and Will is very protective of her. The last thing he wants to see is her in another relationship where she's physically and emotionally hurt. That Nikola tends to come with a hidden agenda doesn't help this view of him, but I think Will will eventually see the good in Nikola and it would be great if we had some Will+Nikola centric scenes this season that dealt with that.

My two cents
                                Yep, I agree with this somewhat. I think Will certainly is quite protective of Helen. It would be good to see some Nikola/Will scenes too! (Both serious scenes and funny scenes - like when he was calling him HuggyBear - and teasing him by popping the buttons on Abby's shirt )... I kind of get the impression funny scenes will continue to be more likely / prominent though. I don't think Niko really has the time of day for Will yet - which may or may not be partly due to Will's obvious lack of trust in him.

Originally posted by NumberSix View Post
                                I've always thought it strange that the psychiatrist Will seems so blinded by his personal dislike of Nikola that he can't see what's really going on with him. So I agree it would be great to see them move beyond that.
                                Agreed. Perhaps because Will/Helen have quite a close friendship now... maybe that makes him more cautious and stops him looking at things objectively?

Originally posted by Mackandal View Post
                                You`d think that Will of all people would be the most tolerant and understanding of someone who`s maybe a bit grating. (Adam, who tried to kill Helen, gets defended because he has a mental condition but Tesla`s immediately written off as just annoying?) I`d like to maybe see a scene where Nikola connects with Will over their mutual childhood losses, or at least something that makes Will see the good/love for Helen.
                                That would be very interesting! Although, I don't think Nikola's really the type to go into his personal stuff so freely... not even with Helen (who he's known for over a century).

Originally posted by FromOutside View Post
                                Helen herself have created protocols that include killing abnormals that have abilities that might prove too dangerous if they were to fall in wrong hands. She even sacrificed her own daughter for Sanctuary network, so I believe it is safe to she believes in sacrificing people for the cause. Not blindly (as Big Bertha proved), or selfishly, but dead people are dead people anyway.

I think Helen can only love someone who she sees as a good person, and to be one, he'd have to understand sacrifice for the cause. I like to think she sees Tesla as a good person when it comes to this, but she understands that she and Tesla may not share the ultimate cause. Tesla's and Helen's causes might even be too different to peacefully exist at the same place and time, as it was with the things he had done in Rome. One very interesting question is what (and who) Tesla would sacrifice for Helen, and what Helen could tolerate him to. I believe that one might prove a very difficult equation to balance
                                I think Tesla is very capable of sacrifice. Just as an example - in Awakening...
                                Spoiler:
                                he agrees to sacrifice the holo-city thing and all the vampires that haven't been woken up yet - which is a big thing for him considering they're his 'ancestors' - and also I thought a really important character development for Nikola because up until now he really seemed to think very highly of sanguine vampiris, but Afina showed him otherwise (disappointed him)... so he's not so intent on resurrecting them all again?

And then ofc there are multiple examples of his willingness to sacrifice himself to save Helen.
                                As some others have argued too, I believe whatever Helen's cause is, Nikola will generally go along with without too much prompting.

we've seen Nikola be very brave and willing to take on Helen's goals as his own - and obviously to sacrifice himself for her as we've seen him do more than once.
                                Yes, this ^^

...the ways they are so freaking similar! Like their thrill in danger and adventure - and their lack of scruples about scientific achievement. The two of them egging each other on in some scheme or other - and then finding themselves in over their heads and having to deal with the fallout (so basically, the source blood all over again) - would be fun to see, too.
                                The bolded - some of the things I love about their friendship/relationship!! They really do strike me as being the naughty pair at Oxford (and to this day )

But Nikola has proven (subtly, but he has) that his ultimate cause is Helen. He would do anything for her, so therefore if she has a cause to defend, then he will eventually end up defending it simply because it's HERS. Don't forget that he obeyed every order Helen gave him about creating the weapon that they used to fight off Ashley and the Cabal super-vampires. Helen ASKED him to make the weapon fatal (by giving him Ash's blood) and he agreed to do it because of the fact that Helen wanted him to.
                                Yep, agreed.

I have to say, that is one of my FAVOURITE Nikola moments - when you realise he's known all along the weapon wouldn't work as it was, but he kept trying anyway because she asked him to. He would never have pushed for a fatal weapon - he waited for her to reach that conclusion herself, and if she hadn't, I don't think he would have even brought it up.
                                And there's also the fact that she knew she could ask him. She knew given her word he'd make the weapon fatal for her - whereas John was more blinded by the fact it was Ashley. Just that level of understanding - like they're more on the same wavelength (even if sometimes their decisions don't always make sense to others).
                                sigpic
                                ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                                X