No announcement yet.

Nikola Tesla/Helen Magnus Shipper Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He never made an physical advance? What was the scene where he sat on her bad for you? I think that was extreme flirting And that he, in 100 years, was not able to get around her, is not an insight in his womanizer qualities
    What I don´t understand, if he really loves her, what I believe, why didn´t he seriously tried to be with her? I mean there must have been so many oportunities, after she was with John, before she was with James and after she was with James. If I understand that rieght, in ep Awakening it was implied that they, in the past, had trips together, I think with Howard Carter? I mean there must have been an oportunity. But maybe he was just shy;-) I think regarding Tesla the saying "all mouth and no trousers" is applicable. He always actes as if he is soooo cool, but I really believe that if Helen would show an interst in him he would be scared ****less!

And I agree on the abusing part with Helen and John, that´s why they should never be together again, John wants her to be a weak housewife in 1800 Nikola loves Helen for who she is, so strong and brilliant and I think is proud of what she has become! With John I always had the feeling that he just loves the women, the baby producer, like he said in "ITB" that he wanted to rise the CHILDREN with her, but maybe other things are more important for her than "just" producing babys. Helen teh scientist, I think was secondary to him.
    Last edited by Altariel; 09 September 2011, 05:23 AM.

Comment

When it comes to matters with John: I completely agree with what's been said. I also never liked how he treated her. This is another reason why I don't like his character. Tho I will never stop watching if this *shudders* happens.

But with Nikola: All I see is: even in the face of danger, she can smile, have a little laugh at Nikola's obnoxiousness. I can also see behind it all that he really respects her and maybe his flirting is just a front. Like he's afraid of what would happen if she were with someone else or she figured out how he truly feels...

But I completely agree with EVERYTHING you said Mimzy!
      sigpic
      Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Altariel View Post
        I was a little bit disappointed that her kiss in ep 4 is with a guest star and that excludes Tesla But actually it is a good thing, cause if this is a guest star, then we won´t see him/her again,
        I'm glad that other kiss is with a guest star too

I really hope it´s Tesla, Amanda said that some of their ad-lib playing changed the track of their realationship and a improvised kiss would do that.
        It makes sense to me, to drop the comment about their adlibbing/changing of playing relationship one day, then drop in the next about an improv kiss.

Originally posted by ZaraShade View Post
        Hi guys! I'm totally new to GateWorld, but have heard so much about it in my obsessive Teslen shipping that I decided I'd better amble on over and check it out! I write Helen/Nikola fanfic (on ff) and make fanvids on yt (for both of which my username is still ZaraShade).
        Thought I'd introduce myself!
        Love your fics! And welcome!

Originally posted by thecolouryes View Post
        Of course she saw it coming, even if she hadn't seen him for 60 years (which, as a good shipper, I'm convinced isn't true, because technically she never said she hadn't SEEN him in 60 years, if I remember correctly she just said "It's been 60 years!" some time after his stealing the kiss so maybe he just hasn't done that in so long? ), she still knows his absolutely incorrigible nature and that he would totally pull something like that Plus, in the screencaps, you can totally see that when she grabs his arm she's like "must not let him know that i like this!" ... or maybe that's just me
        See I'm not sure whether they saw each other or not - just because in the Five she seems genuinely pi$$ed about his lack of contact (she says something about thinking she deserves an explanation as to where he's been all that time?)
        Re: Five-kiss - not only does she reach to him (because obv. his kisses are dizzying hehehe) but she doesn't reprimand him. Instead when they first part they sort of look each other up and down in a flirty/attracted way with little smiles!!

TECHNICALLY Druitt is a recurring character... please don't squash me for pointing that out! He won't get Helen back ever! No way! And yes yes yes. I want a "what the hell I'll kiss him since it's the last thing I'll ever do" and then we get the wonderful awkwardness when they're rescued.... I so can't wait for this season!
        Is he though? I for one have always sort of categorised him as a main cast (because he's on the dvd covers - although I would argue it should be Biggie ) and he gets referred to as main cast on the write-ups *shrugs*

Originally posted by yamiinsane View Post
        Pretty!

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
        I think she was totally wanting to kiss him in "Awakening," but for some reason didn't I mean, he practically came back to life - she should've been overjoyed and accidentally knocked him over and been like "OMGGG YOU'RE ALIIVVEEE *SMOOOCCCHH*!!" She was obviously terrified of losing him and yet she STILL hid her feelings when he recovered?! Hopefully she's learned MUCH from that experience and the next time a life-threatening situation comes around, she'll take proper advantage of it, like you suggested And then they can be all cutesy and awkward after the fact
        I think there really could have actually been a kiss (or at least some sort of embrace of relief) but then inbred-biatch had to start 'waking-up' or whatever and they got distracted.

I saw on the youtube panel where she said that about the two kisses, and at the moment when she said that she had actually TWO kisses she looked to Chris. For one Fan that look to Chris made him/her thought that it would be John... Now I´m a little bit unsure. But probably it was just wishful thinking on his/her part. I hope so. I would be so disapointed if it really would be a flashback kiss with John, with a flashback kiss with Nikola I could live, maybe at the time when she faked his death, that I could imagine, and it would be kinda cool, but not with John. Not in the present and not in the past.
        See I just saw that as a sort of "I'm going to be have to careful what I say" look, because obviously Chris will know who she kisses just like Robin would. If you watch the panel you can see how good friends they all are by the bodylanguage etc. so I didn't really read anything into that little look other than *I better be careful how much I say*...

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
        We can't be sure until we've seen S4, so I for one will probably change my mind about a dozen times about who it'll be. Unless, of course, SyFy ruins it by putting the moment in a trailer.
        Well, I don't mind them ruining it if they show us Helen/Niko kissing in a trailer

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
        It's not a condition, you know! *pouts* But in all seriousness, no. There's a lot of reasons why I don't really want to see them become a canon pairing. Part of it is that it would be too obvious and could possibly bring the Moonlighting curse down upon Sanctuary.
        I don't think that *curse* would be an issue - just really because I don't see them playing a relationship in the same manner (espec. if you take into account how long they've both lived e.g. they wouldn't be the all over each other joined at the hip excessively-fluffy couple).

Another part of it is that I think, well... they're both immortals. They'd have all of eternity together-- and I think that would be totally boring. They'd get at each other's throats eventually, and then they'd split on bad terms, and everything would be ruined! I like things the way they are!
        I think they'd manage well enough with eternity together - and this comes to the same point about how I think their relationship would play out. I think they both have such a desire for knowledge and discovery and get so excited by that that it would be more of a basis for their being a couple then anything else. I think there's just such a mutual respect between them as well, I don't think the sexual-side of it would be the main thing between them (although it would OBVIOUSLY be GREAT ) They argue / banter all the time already, so I can't see that would be something that split them up, just something that kept things exciting.

She's a strong, confident, beautiful woman, who should get around some. Dabble a bit. Tesla's too lustful that he wouldn't be able to handle her going out with other interests if he thought he had even the slightest chance with her.
        I agree she's strong/confident/beautiful... I have no doubts over her long lifespan she's 'dabbled' But I don't think she's the sort to want more than one *plaything* at a time... *shrugs* And you have to remember too that Helen has had lovers other than Tesla (Druitt being the main one) and he didn't intefere in that he respected it (even if he didn't like it) - which I think comes down to Niko's respect and unconditional love of her. At least the impression I get from the little we've seen of Helen/John past relationship. I think for Nikola, at his core, is a desire for Helen to be happy, even if that means with somebody else but him.
        And also, I get the impression he's never really thought he had a chance with her *pats her Niko clone* poor Niko

I think that the really beautiful thing about their relationship is that it started with friendship. That makes a really strong foundation for a lasting relationship. I, like many Teslen shippers, like the notion that Nikola and Helen started as very close friends at Oxford before everything and so the strength of that bond would serve to make a strong romantic bond too should they chose to enter into a relationship of that sort.
        Yeah, I love the friendship aspect, and the fact they know each others flaws and so on (how each other thinks!).

I think it is actually a good thing that they both are immortal and I don´t think it would become boring, I mean imagine everthing you know and loves passes away at one point and then you are happy you have a constant in your life that not goes away. Of course if you are 100 years in a realationship then you don´t have to see eachother every day, both can follow for a certain time their own ways. And the monogamy thing, I really don´t like the opinion most people have today that it is not possible, I think that is just our depraved, obnoxious society :-( Everthing is always reduced to sex. That´s the lack of moral concept. If you really love someone you are monogam. Even if he not always act this way, I think deep down Tesla is a gentleman, so it is not a question for him, same thing with Helen IMHO.
        Yeah I'm inclined to agree it would be nice for both of them to have a constant in their lives (espec. for Helen). I also think it's possible to stay loyal/faithful to one person. And ofc, Helen/Niko are from 19th century so I think easier for them based on that too? It's obvious in many ways despite the changing times they've managed to hold on to certain aspects of themselves / morals etc.
        sigpic
        ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

So, you should all get this straight before I start talking, because I'm gonna look like something of a Magnitt shipper for a bit: I am absolutely set on Teslen. Perhaps I'm not one of those rabid shippers who won't consider that either part of the pairing could have ever looked at another person in the same way, but I think their relationship will win out above all others. If nothing else, Tesla & Magnus have been through so much together, seen so much hardship, witnessed so much change, and lost so many people important to the both of them that we can be sure their friendship will last, even if a romantic relationship fails at one point.
          Both have been in relationships / trysts with other people - Helen's comment about lovers she's lost over the years, and Nikola's comment about being in love countless times but recognising it for what it is (although I do think Helen has always been his first true love in so many ways). I don't think their relationship would fail tbh, just because of all their history and how long they've waited and how well they know each other. I think if they got together it would be because Helen's ready for it (i.e. doesn't have any doubts anymore).

On the subject of Magnitt, I'm perhaps among the minority of Teslenites who actually believe that Helen and Druitt were in love way back when. Helen was a strong and self-assured woman then, as well as now, which she had to be or she would never have been taking classes at Oxford. Therefore, she would not have entered into a relationship with anyone that she didn't love.
          I agree - I do think they were in love at Oxford, but I do think Helen/Nikola were closest in other ways (friendship ways), which is why it would be so great now at this time of their lives to finally get together

Yes, he betrayed her, but he was also her first love, and just because she's had a hundred years to learn to live with that feeling of betrayal doesn't mean she's actually gotten over it. I think that, now, she still feels too harshly that betrayal to ever really accept him back into her life. And Ashley's death certainly didn't help anything, because she was the last real tie between them that wasn't somehow less potent than the betrayal.
          I agree, she wouldn't accept him back into her life like that. I think we're kind of seeing her finally coming to terms with it as well (S3 end), perhaps finally feeling she can properly move on from that relationship too.

That being said, I thought the explanation that he was only Jack the Ripper because some energy creature took over his mind when he was teleporting was completely and 100% a cop-out and about the cheapest explanation they could have given.
          I think the intention was maybe to show John's POV - that he really wanted the energy creature to be the reason on some level, but having given it much thought since we saw Haunted, I don't think it was PTBs intention to say the energy-creature was the full reason either - otherwise why include that comment Helen makes about John must have had a prediliction for killing? In some ways, I get the impression Helen is the character they really use for putting across their feelings/thoughts about stuff.

while Tesla very clearly loved Helen from the beginning, he's demonstrated that he's very much the gentleman and he would have backed off from serious flirting when Helen and John were courting. Still, Helen and Tesla have a deep-seated understanding that I think comes from their minds working in similar ways. They don't remain such close friends simply because they've known each other for so long. They really do have similar interests, and similar thoughts, and they understand each other very well.

Still, Helen and Tesla have never been at quite the same place until now. Helen was betrayed and lost after the Ripper business, so she threw herself into her Sanctuary business. Tesla couldn't do anything to help her, so he threw himself into his own projects. They got caught up in things they were doing individually, and I feel that when Helen was finally able to maybe try at communicating again with him properly, he needed to die. So, she was traumatised, in a smaller and more emotional way than from John's betrayal, when she had to fake his death. Then, he had to remain hidden and couldn't really communicate with her much. So she threw herself back into the Sanctuary, and he threw himself into reviving the vampires. Now, finally, they seem to be meeting up at the same place emotionally, dependant to a degree on the approval of the other, looking for the company of someone who hasn't hurt them very deeply. Now, if ever, is the time for them to start trying a relationship.
          Yep, I agree with all this.

Also something to consider: Helen's first name is really not all that surprising.
          What am I missing?

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
          I really do think they're capable of a long-term relationship because TBH they've gone through it all already, minus the romantic part. They've been through a lot of crap already over a long time period, they argue like an old married couple yet are able to resolve their problems, they think on the same wavelength much of the time, and they know how to poke fun at each other in spite of everything. Seriously, they're practically married already - at the very least, they ACT like they are (maybe without even realizing it). They got through all that time with so many different problems and yet they've remained very close friends and it doesn't seem like anything either of them do will permanently tear them apart, because they truly, deeply TRUST each other. Even if the relationship is rocky they still manage to work things out in the end. The already KNOW the routine of doing that. Even AT implied all this when she mentioned that Helen knew that Niko would never really do anything so bad as to seriously hurt her and therefore she trusts him and keeps him around.
          Yep, totally agree (at risk of bolding all of this)

I really do think John sees Helen like a possession of his almost, whereas Nikola actually sees her as a person. I feel like the show is really pushing showing the contrast between the two men's relationships with Helen, especially after Helen's telling John off in ITB. <snip>
          IMO their entire relationship could pretty much legitimately be characterized as abusive - and that's backed up by the way Helen, as the victim, is incredibly reluctant at first to let go because she feels like she can change John. That's typical behavior for a victim of an abusive relationship. And I have NEVER gotten the sense that John and Helen were equals in their relationship - there's always been this very subtle indication that he had a kind of power over her that persisted even after they had supposedly ended it.
          Again - with the bolded - agreeing!

Nikola, on the other hand, starts out looking like he's dangerous, but then it turns out that at his core he's really harmless and the most he'll do (on purpose, anyway) is annoy the hell out of Helen while ironically making her smile more than she ever does on her own. He tests Helen's patience but I think in a way that is what makes Helen a stronger person. At the very least, she thrives when he's around - he keeps her on her toes emotionally and intellectually and you can tell that in some ways she's a bit more alive, a bit more excited about things when she has him to bounce ideas off of. It's pretty obvious that they're on an equal level and that each of them feeds off the other. And that's the best kind of person to have as a partner really - someone who challenges you to be more, and do more, and perhaps even become a better person. Plus, Nikola really does care for her. True, he pulls stunts to try to impress her, but again, Helen knows that whatever he does, he's never really going to hurt her, or at least he won't try to. And he puts SO much on the line for her - he sacrifices making a physical advance (for OVER 100 FRICKING YEARS - and this is a man, mind you ) out of respect for her, he gives up vampire world rule to save her from crazy inbred b!4ch (has anyone considered what was running through his head while he was down in that pit and didn't know where Helen was?), and offers to get himself blown up by the particle accelerator so she can escape. And I don't think he does any of it to impress her because he knows that no over-the-top display of heroism would woo Helen Magnus - even when he flirts with her he seems to know it won't go anywhere but he does it anyway because (a) he enjoys it, and (b) he knows it amuses Helen to some degree. And on the subject of amusement - he REALLY knows how to make that woman smile. I don't think that quality should be overlooked - it's really quite important
          *nodding*

What I don´t understand, if he really loves her, what I believe, why didn´t he seriously tried to be with her?
          I think for all his love/adoration/respect for her, he would never overstep the mark. I think in a lot of ways he often tests the water, but always follows her lead re: their flirting / developing relationship. Straight after John wouldn't have seemed appropriate (espec. considering her thing with James). Maybe for a long time he wasn't such an outrageous flirt? And just concentrated on their friendship? And also, whilst I have no doubt he would walk to the end of the world for Helen, I think when he was younger (with her being spoken for more than once) he maybe threw himself more into his work / experiments / figuring out being a vampire.
          I do get the impression they might have shared a few kisses / moments, but he maybe didn't want her to feel obliged or uncomfortable so just left it at that?
          Of course, no reason to hold back these days

Helen teh scientist, I think was secondary to him.
          Whereas for Nikola, Helen the scientist is a major part of her appeal

Originally posted by yamiinsane View Post
          But with Nikola: All I see is: even in the face of danger, she can smile, have a little laugh at Nikola's obnoxiousness.
          Agreed
          Last edited by lastrequest; 09 September 2011, 08:38 AM.
          sigpic
          ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Oh wow this thread has gotten deep with all this talk of love and relationships. I think everyone makes solid and valid points. Although of it matters to met cuz i just firmly believe that no matter what, they will be together eventually. They just belong together.
            sigpic
            Sig made by NAD - THANK YOU SO MUCH

August 27, 2011 official Teslen ship day....mark your calenders.

Comment

"I do get the impression they might have shared a few kisses / moments, but he maybe didn't want her to feel obliged or uncomfortable so just left it at that?"

I thought that too, but then you have to consider that she was truely surprised when he told her that he always has been in love with her. She had really no clue, and if there actually have been kisses, I think she wouldn´t have been so surprised. He must have been really reserved in younger days al least regarding his feelings towards Helen.
              It must have been very shocking for her, first he said that he loved her 130 years and after that tries to kill her. What shall Helen think? I believe she often wonders what Nikola really feels for her. Do you think she has problems that he is a vampire, regarding realationship things? Maybe she doesn´t want to be a Bella

Comment

Hey!! I did notice you on yt with the same name, but now I know who you are on ff.
                Haha, I hope I haven't made a mistake by now opening myself up to you guys to demand updates!

As for Niko being in 5 eps, yeah that's pretty darn good! As you said, in relative terms its a good amount! (and lol you did spell it right). If he were in too many it would end up being the Nikola and Helen show because, let's face it, he just steals the scene whenever he's in it!
                He really does steal the scene! But I wouldn't complain to the 'Nikola and Helen show'!!
                Don't worry, we won't nag you too much! LOL

On the subject of Magnitt, I'm perhaps among the minority of Teslenites who actually believe that Helen and Druitt were in love way back when.
                ... Though the times may have had a different interpretation of "love", and it was smarter to marry the man who made you feel safe than the man who made you feel alive (ie. someone who you loved in the modern romantic sense of the term), I still believe Helen did, originally, love him. In whatever episode it is that she goes off and rescues Druitt from wherever he is (I can't remember which episode, just the images from it), after he's unconscious she does curl up in bed next to him. That's not something she would do if she didn't still love him, to a degree. Yes, he betrayed her, but he was also her first love, and just because she's had a hundred years to learn to live with that feeling of betrayal doesn't mean she's actually gotten over it. I think that, now, she still feels too harshly that betrayal to ever really accept him back into her life. And Ashley's death certainly didn't help anything, because she was the last real tie between them that wasn't somehow less potent than the betrayal.
                I totally agree with the bolded! And, I'm with you on the whole minority. I like John and the relationship between him and helen, but I think that that relationship has ended. There's no chance in the present for reconsiliation, Helen I think, esp in ITB, has finally found closure and accepted that she doesn't want to be with him. I'm a Teslen shipper! But, I do still like the ship of Magnitt, just not as extreme, and in a contest, Teslen would come out WAY on top

That being said, I thought the explanation that he was only Jack the Ripper because some energy creature took over his mind when he was teleporting was completely and 100% a cop-out and about the cheapest explanation they could have given.
                I didn't think it was cheap at all, I thought it was quite a smart way out. Rather than just saying something about a mental illness or jealousy or something, there was actually a physical as well as an emotional reason for his insanity. The creature had a mental hold over him as well as a physical one, it was PART of him, like his evil side. That being said, I do think he had a natural violence to him anyway, with his natural height and obvious strenght, he had to have had fights etc (he was towering menacingly over Adam in For king and country flashback - when he told him to get out) but I think he has a soft side too, like evry man. Not as much as Nikola, who is in touch with his feminine side- very attractive in a man IMO

Side note: I think Helen and James got together because each missed the John they knew.

Also something to consider: Helen's first name is really not all that surprising.
                Are we actually definately sure that Helen and James were a couple? In normandy, all we saw really was her calling him Darling, now, thats just a name people say to their friends. For instance, some people say sweetie, or honey....

Whats this about Helen's first name? I'm intrigued!

"I do get the impression they might have shared a few kisses / moments, but he maybe didn't want her to feel obliged or uncomfortable so just left it at that?"

I thought that too, but then you have to consider that she was truely surprised when he told her that he always has been in love with her. She had really no clue, and if there actually have been kisses, I think she wouldn´t have been so surprised. He must have been really reserved in younger days al least regarding his feelings towards Helen.
                It must have been very shocking for her, first he said that he loved her 130 years and after that tries to kill her. What shall Helen think? I believe she often wonders what Nikola really feels for her. Do you think she has problems that he is a vampire, regarding realationship things? Maybe she doesn´t want to be a Bella
                Nikola, when it comes to Helen, is scared to show his true emotions because he's so afraid of being hurt by the one he loves. The flirting he plays is not just a front, but like someone else in here said, he's testing, and most of the time Helen responds to it. But I think thats as far as he is really comfortable in taking it, he told her he loved her in Rome because he was feeling brave and excited about his new army. He had a 'confidence boost' as you might say. I think there have been times where they've shared moments and kisses. Read StargateGeek's 'The Troublemakers', that's how I invision their relationship to have been. Little moments, they were, In many shippers opinions, very close friends before the Five.

Also, about Magnus having flings and more than one lover at a time, i don't think she would have been THAT crazy, she WAS born in the mid-1800's.... so she would have a modicum of respect for herself and her proudness. But saying that, she might have experimented and tried to change with the times, if you knew you were in it for the long haul (her longevity) then you wouldn't want an A) boring life or B) to be a stuck up 19th century woman for the rest of your life. She would have lived a little, yes, but not like hundreds of sexual partners. I just don't see her doing that myself. Although it would be interesting to see on the show!

And Max, it has gotten SO deep, have we lot ever been this deep?
                sigpic
                Sig by Yamiinsane, Thanks!
                'It's Nuttier than Squirrel poo' - Amanda Tapping
                : Thats it! Sphere, planet, label, name! : Following, still, you, not!
                I'm not crazy...I just have another consciousness in my brain! So he just looks crazy then?
                Indeed

Comment

Just want to say I'm enjoying reading the discussion here.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

Too many long posts to read so I'll just slip in with this *drops off pic then leaves* enjoy

On the edge of breaking down
                    sigpic
                    Banner made by me

Comment

OOOOoooo I love that pic! It just reiterates what some of us are saying!
                      sigpic
                      Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Isn't that the whole point?

Can't forget wanting to save her .... As per usual for him
                        sigpic
                        Banner made by me

Comment

Of course! I still love her reaction to his: I vant to suck your blood

*ruffles*
                          sigpic
                          Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Hm .... I think she was relieved yet at the same time annoyed
                            sigpic
                            Banner made by me

Comment

That's how I saw it
                              sigpic
                              Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Telepathy strikes again huh
                                sigpic
                                Banner made by me