No announcement yet.

Nikola Tesla/Helen Magnus Shipper Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I have to say that I'm not sure how much Sanctuary Tesla plays into RL Tesla. And how much it should.
    Obviously, some personality traits need to be different for the show and I'm not sure how deep TPTB have dived into Niko's past. Of course there are standard historical facts to keep in account. To be honest, I think the selfishness and the manipulating might just come from the need to have a lovable ''baddish guy'' (not bad person ). Having said that, J-Yo does have knowledge about RL Tesla and he could very well have put some of the tragedy in the way he portrays him...

But. I think that the way it was written, not in the interpretation, was just that. Nikola has his own motives and it makes him unpredictable in his actions. Helen knows him well enough to put up with him and (IMO) even love/like him for it. So manipulation for the sake of getting what he wants? Yeah, maybe. ...Maybe. Does that make him evil? Heck no. Do I think there's more to Sanc Tesla than meets the eye? Yes. But I do believe that RL Tesla and Helen's Niko are slightly ''different'' people, character wise.

Yes, I realize that this is the easy way out, but someimes easy is nice
    Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
    Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Yeah, I agree with that, I think with the fact that Sanctuary has completely altered Tesla's life makes the 2 characters completely different on a level. Though they're technically the same person, they have different personality quirks and admittedly most of Tesla's actions entertainment for the fans so they are different.

I think J-Yo tries to reconcile the 2 different Tesla's, in a way he tries to stay true to form in the show but it is kinda impossible so he just does the best he can. I think I just confused myself but I'll stick with what I said.

Awk well, we can analyse him more throughout season 3, we see more of him then anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
        I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I have to say that I'm not sure how much Sanctuary Tesla plays into RL Tesla. And how much it should.
        Obviously, some personality traits need to be different for the show and I'm not sure how deep TPTB have dived into Niko's past. Of course there are standard historical facts to keep in account. To be honest, I think the selfishness and the manipulating might just come from the need to have a lovable ''baddish guy'' (not bad person ). Having said that, J-Yo does have knowledge about RL Tesla and he could very well have put some of the tragedy in the way he portrays him...

But. I think that the way it was written, not in the interpretation, was just that. Nikola has his own motives and it makes him unpredictable in his actions. Helen knows him well enough to put up with him and (IMO) even love/like him for it. So manipulation for the sake of getting what he wants? Yeah, maybe. ...Maybe. Does that make him evil? Heck no. Do I think there's more to Sanc Tesla than meets the eye? Yes. But I do believe that RL Tesla and Helen's Niko are slightly ''different'' people, character wise.

Originally posted by Victoria Magnus View Post
        Yeah, I agree with that, I think with the fact that Sanctuary has completely altered Tesla's life makes the 2 characters completely different on a level. Though they're technically the same person, they have different personality quirks and admittedly most of Tesla's actions entertainment for the fans so they are different.

I think J-Yo tries to reconcile the 2 different Tesla's, in a way he tries to stay true to form in the show but it is kinda impossible so he just does the best he can. I think I just confused myself but I'll stick with what I said.

Awk well, we can analyse him more throughout season 3, we see more of him then anyway.
        Together, you two have said it all. *applauds* I am not worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post

Originally posted by Victoria Magnus View Post

I agree with both you!! while yes our Tesla is based on the RL Tesla i think that Damian and the other writers have changed enough of who ours is so that the two Tesla need to be kept in separate categories becuase they are essentially two different Tesla's. Some of the mannerisms etc are the same not only becuase of the writing but undoubtedly through Jon's stylistic choice as an actor, however, there are still huge differences in both ours and the RL Tesla. THat being said, ours is definately not evil. He's a bad boy. and i hate when people try to say he's evil or that Druitts a bad boy. Nikola is not evil, Druitt is. Because evil is ripping open women to play with the insides. That. is. evil. i dont care what you plead was affecting him. That is evil. Nikola just has been warped by life to wear this mask and insert my long spiel here about Nikola and me both being overly tough for similar reasons...and i am dead sure Helen is aware of this. I know she is. I know she thinks what Druitt did was evil and what Nikola did was just his misguided pyschology acting up. I know she loves him on some level, hopefully a level deep enough to let go of the evil Druitt and embrace the love Nikola has to offer
          sigpic
          thanks sg4ever for the awesome icon!!! (dont steal it!!!) My FanFic

Comment

Originally posted by Rose "Snapjinx" McKnight View Post
            To be perfectly honest, I read none of that.
            Allow me to recant and resubmit.
            "Nikola BEHAVES bad."
            Sorry about before. Poor choice of words.
            Nice to know all the time I put into that was unappreciated. I think I'm going to stop writing my "dissertations" from now on.
            "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
              Nice to know all the time I put into that was unappreciated. I think I'm going to stop writing my "dissertations" from now on.
              I meant no offense. I'm a bit blatant and I don't feign tact when my opinion must be stated. And I don't apologize for that. Everyone else on here seems to love them, and I'm sure they would be missed if you stopped. I might have been out of line for letting you know that I skim-read lengthy essays (anyone's) but I realized my misspoken words after the first few lines of your response and just posted my apology.

Comment

No, I'm going to stop. Honestly, I don't disagree that the tv Niko is sort of a cross b/t an interpretation and the real one--I'm not upset about that.

But like with watching television, if I'm putting out effort that is a waste of time, it's best to stop. You can get money, belongings, even people back, but you can never get back time. In fact, I've wasted enough of it already.
                sigpic
                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

No, I'm going to stop. Honestly, I don't disagree that the tv Niko is sort of a cross b/t an interpretation and the real one--I'm not upset about that.

But like with watching television, if I'm putting out effort that is a waste of time, it's best to stop. You can get money, belongings, even people back, but you can never get back time. In fact, I've wasted enough of it already.

And just there, you've done what most on this forum are incapable of: Living their lives without the crutch of obsessions. As an avid writer, I know I could never do that. Television feeds my creativity and I'm a hopeless addict. But healthy, well-adjusted people like you give me hope for the world.

Comment

Healthy and well-adjusted?

Ha, if this freaking fandom p**** me off so much occasionally, I don't see how that's healthy at all.

No one in the modern world is healthy and/or well-adjusted, b/c the modern world is a freaking parasitic blob that feeds off our brains. There's no escape from the influence, no matter how hard you try.

Stupid freaking media trolls
                    sigpic
                    Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Healthy and well-adjusted?

Ha, if this freaking fandom p**** me off so much occasionally, I don't see how that's healthy at all.

No one in the modern world is healthy and/or well-adjusted, b/c the modern world is a freaking parasitic blob that feeds off our brains. There's no escape from the influence, no matter how hard you try.

Stupid freaking media trolls
                      Bummer worldview. Unfortunately, I'm one of those media whores, so I can't really agree. lol I've gotta go sleep now, though, so see ya. And if you do cancel your account/pull off this thread, I guess this is goodbye.
                      Cheers.

Comment

I'm sure it's not unappreciated. I do think it's very valuable to actually have different opinions about things, both in fandom as well as RL. No one was being negative about what you said and I'm sorry you feel that way. But yes, if being here makes you feel bad than it might be best to take a break and spend time on things that do matter. In the end, life's just too short to have to ''be'' somewhere where you don't feel comfortable anymore.
                        I do hope you'll be OK.
                        Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
                        Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

It's not just that that's made me feel bad. This has been building up with several little things over the past few months, and it's simply pathetic.

But it's not like I can just take a break and be okay. I'm so incredibly angry over everything that I cannot even THINK about the WORD "Sanctuary" without feeling some sort of rage/depression now. Basically, everything that's been building up has completely RUINED the entire Sanctuary experience for me and now something that has cheered me up, made me excited, over the past 2 years is now a source of pain, and that makes me even angrier.

I'm supposed to ENJOY this and now it's RUINED. I can't even freaking look at a picture of Amanda Tapping without feeling like crying, that's how bad it is.

Not that this changes anything people have suggested I do. I just wanted to point out that this is not some small little thing that I will easily get over, and that I am incredibly hurt and furious for having something enjoyable being taken away from me.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Wow the atmosphere in here is decidely

*takes a moment to sweep up the mess*

So, going to throw in my 2 cents on this discussion... and ofc read if you will or skim over it if you prefer. I will try to keep it brief.

Firstly just want to say that as with most debates, I very much like to read everything that is said before coming to my own opinions - and often it's the case I won't respond to a topic unless I feel I can contribute something of particular value.

Mimzy - I am sorry for any offence you might feel about the current topic of discussion - and about your views not all being read despite the effort you've put into typing them. I for one want you to know that often times when I read your posts I will agree with much of what you say - other times your opinions inform me and indeed can lead me to change my opinion on a particular subject. For this reason alone I would urge you to continue to post as you have done previously - and if you feel passionate about something then express it.

Similarly - Rose - I see you apologised but I don't for a moment believe you intended any offence. It is at your own leisure whether you decide to read posts - as it is for everyone, and you shouldn't feel bad about expressing your preference to skimming.

I am a great believer that it is our differences of opinion, our differences in character, that make the world so interestingly diverse. If we all agreed it would be a strange and boring place to live in, don't you think? Whilst we are all passionate about particular things I think sometimes this passion we hold can make us defensive in the way we express ourselves - which isn't necessarily always a bad thing

Which brings me nicely to the subject of psychology - and the subject of "manipulation". So lets take the example of Tesla in the Five.
                            * He manipulated Helen into going with him underground - no doubt about this
                            * The doubt lies in understanding his motives
                            * I personally feel (going off Tesla as a Sanctuary character rather that in RL) - that he very much thinks in two ways.
                            One way can come across as selfish and arrogant - and indeed this part of his character is something that adds to his charm IMO.
                            The other way I think is with a deep love and desire for Helen. His mischievous side makes him manipulate Helen into believing she's in danger - so she will go with him; but then I think if he had just asked for help she would have helped him too.
                            I think it's telling to notice that despite anything Niko does - Helen's reactions to it are very important.

I also feel Tesla uses his own arrogance at times to indeed protect himself. I think (like anyone) he is afraid of rejection - but only by Helen. (Anyone who has ever been in love can understand that your significant other becomes the most important person to you - the one you might seek approval of - the one you least want to be rejected by).
                            She doesn't abandon him until she hears his plan to revive the vampire race - so it would be easy for him to assure himself she's rejecting his plans, and not him as a person. It's almost like he gives himself that little safety net of an outrageous plan - so when they are together, he can tell himself the same thing. She's rejecting his ideas, not him.

So manipulation - everyone is guilty of it - lets face it, it's a part of being human, and whether or not manipulation is intentional, we're all guilty of it. We all want to be liked by others - whether or not we want to admit that.

To me it brings to mind the debate about if we are constantly 'acting' who we are - which anyone with any knowledge about psychology has likely come across.

I have my own love/hate affair with psychology, having studied it at college, and to a certain degree during my time at university. Whilst there is much about the subject that helps me understand human behaviour, there is much that agitates me - for instance - certain generalisations and theories, the idea itself that we as individuals can be categorised into particular groups.
                            I strongly believe that whilst in some situations this can be useful (take something like profiling...) in other instances I think such categorisations can be detrimental - because I really do believe that even the simplest event or situation works to shape a persons character, and there's just no way to realistically ever truly understand another person - only generalise and theorise.

Now apply that to a relationship between people that have known each other for over a century, and it complicates it even further!

It's for this belief in individuality that when I talk to anyone - new friend or old - I try to be as open minded with them and with their opinions as possible. It's also why I hate to read something where someone is upset - and in turn always offer my ear if they ever want to vent.

Anywho, so I think I've officially not made this post short

New topic: the heat between Helen and Nikola
                            Result: Steamy!!!!!!

sigpic
                            ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

First of all, I agree with everything you said

Second, I don't think anyone gets that it's not JUST about me feeling "unappreciated" by one comment that has me angry.

I said it before: my anger is a result of several little things that have been building up (mostly on this thread and the NT one) for the past few months and I have reached my breaking point. I have no problem with people expressing opinions and/or skimming over things, it's just a certain attitude that I feel coming from some people sometimes which I take to be somewhat hostile, and I can't stand it anymore.
                              sigpic
                              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

First of all, I agree with everything you said

Second, I don't think anyone gets that it's not JUST about me feeling "unappreciated" by one comment that has me angry.

I said it before: my anger is a result of several little things that have been building up (mostly on this thread and the NT one) for the past few months and I have reached my breaking point. I have no problem with people expressing opinions and/or skimming over things, it's just a certain attitude that I feel coming from some people sometimes which I take to be somewhat hostile, and I can't stand it anymore.
                                Sorry hun you posted that post before mine whilst I was typing only just read it.

All I can suggest is maybe have a little break - or only respond to certain people. I sincerely hope you don't depart - if I remember correctly it was you who suggested I come over to the forum, and I love it here
                                sigpic
                                ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                                X