No announcement yet.

Nikola Tesla/Helen Magnus Shipper Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(And I forget to write but don't dare to add afterwards... Yes, I am afraid of the post eating monster )

Cool vids, ppl! I can only guess how frustrating it is to work with what little material to suit the purposes, I'd probably go crazy if I ever tried

Edit: I'd like to hear what you have about Helen.
    Last edited by FromOutside; 13 January 2012, 01:07 PM.

Comment

FromOutside,

religion is too controversial a topic to be a theme in a show... come to think of it, I know only one sci-fi (of sorts) show that dealt with religion. Sanctuary simply doesn't have room for this category.
      "Are you like, a crazy person?"
      "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

es, that is true. It would be a mess (edit: if TPTB tried to write religion to Sanctuary), for multiple reason... Much would have to chance for a remotely decent touch, and honestly, I don't want to see that kind of chance in Sanctuary. (But it doesn't stop me for making interpretations and toying with ff plots )

Out of curiosity, what show do you have in mind?

Comment

Well, "I was wrong-there is a God" seems like a pretty clear statement of Tesla`s religious feelings.

Comment

FromOutside: I just finished watching a new series "The Borgias". It is a story about a crime family in the 15th Century Italy whose father was the Pope of the Roman Catholic Church. It's a historical drama, not scifi, but I found it quite interesting. Maybe you would like to check it out if you're interested in religion-related shows.
            sigpic
            Sign by me

Comment

Originally posted by es! View Post
              FromOutside,

religion is too controversial a topic to be a theme in a show... come to think of it, I know only one sci-fi (of sorts) show that dealt with religion. Sanctuary simply doesn't have room for this category.
              Very True. It's something the writers need to plan to deal with from the very beginning. Unless you're writing a drama about a certain time and place in history (eg. The Borgias) religion can be a very touchy subject
              sigpic

Comment

^^ If you wanted a sci-fi show which touches upon religious themes, I'd say Battlestar Galactica. Though the allure of Jeromy Irons in 'The Borgias' does make me want to watch it...

es: YT has been acting up on me lately Had to dl the vid at last to watch it O.o
                But it is really great, I am a sucker for angst Beautifully done, the music is really something Loved it!

I think I should watch all of seasons 1 thru 3 because I have no idea where that awesome Helen & Gregory scene from the very beginning is from Any hints for me?

Btw I've meant to ask you about your other vid - where did you get that "New Yorker" and 3327 footage from? Is there a Tesla documentary out there?
                Aww thank you. I'm sorry it was so much trouble for you to do though! Loved your Fanfic4Kids promo vid too (and commented on it)

As for the scenes -
                Someone said the Helen and Gregory one was from 'Warriors', but I'm pretty sure I got the full version of it from the Webisodes. The one in warriors is a shorter version of it where they reused some of the original webisode footage I think. Its that whole conversation where Helen is telling her father that Oxford rejected her again despite her high scores and then she asks him to show her his work.

I've used the New Yorker footage in a few of my vids Its from an unofficial 9min biography of which I can't remember the name... :/ Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, it's just I've had the footage downloaded for a while so I can't remember exactly what it's called.

Comment

Thank you ZS

Comment

No probs, es. Not that it was particularly helpful info for the New Yorker images.

Comment

Originally posted by ZaraShade View Post
                      ^^ If you wanted a sci-fi show which touches upon religious themes, I'd say Battlestar Galactica. Though the allure of Jeromy Irons in 'The Borgias' does make me want to watch it...
                      I'm not very big on historical dramas like Tudors or Rome. Jeremy Irons was the only reason why I started to watch 'The Borgias' and was hooked immediately.
                      sigpic
                      Sign by me

Comment

It's always awesome to see when lurkers begin to post! <3

Especially when it leads to such interesting discussions.

Originally posted by Dinoman View Post

Recently I'm rewatching all Tesla episodes to fix my Sanctuary withdrawal symptoms and I think Nikola behaved like a naughty kid around Helen instead of a worthy, matching partner in Season 1-3 and until "Resistance" in Season 4 he turned into a grown-up and mature counterpart that Helen could rely on.
                        I'm thinking of rewatching them too. I rewatched Animus and Awakening a few days ago, and thought then maybe I should just start with The Five and watch all the Tesla eps. I don't look forward to Friday night TV now.

Well, he still does have a naughty streak I think, but it's nice that they're showing he can behave more maturely too.

I agree with you that he is not "the asexual type, the moral type, or the wait only for Helen type", but I strongly believe that he forgets about his physical needs when he is busy with a project. Remember he didn't shower in Animus? Just like RL Tesla
                        As Dino and FromOutside pointed out a page or two back, the meaning behind the quote about "falling in love countless times" may vary strongly with different interpretations of what he considers to be "love". I think he is a man of science first and foremost, and he is in love with any new idea. When he is depressed or has no ideas (is there such a thing as scientist's block? lol) he might throw himself into an adventure to fresh up. But we know RL Tesla didn't reciprocate the feelings of all those women who'd been fawning over him, so I really think that our Tesla's most consuming love is science, too
                        Just another thought, pardon if it was already brought up, but maybe when he was talking to Will about being in love countless times he was also referring more to infatuation, those wild, early, can't get enough of this person days. He's also talking about "young love" and viewing it from a detached scientific point of view. So maybe he's differentiating between that and a more mature, lasting love. ?? And if he recognizes infatuation, maybe he uses restraint in those situations and that's what he means when he says he recognizes the feeling for what it is. dunno, just speculating of course.

Originally posted by silvervintage82 View Post

That said, I personally don't think that when he mentions falling in love countless times it has much to do with scientific ideas. Though certainly I can understand that viewpoint! I think he was really talking about women because that's what Will was referring to. I think the real Tesla perhaps wasn't that into women because he saw them as a distraction, but on the show it has shown that he is interested in women, particularly Helen. I think in real life, Tesla's all consuming passion was science. On the show, I think Tesla has two equally all consuming passions: Science and Helen.

Definitely agree he was talking about women here, and what you say about RL Tesla. He wanted to devote his life to science, and a wife and family would have taken too much away from his work. At least that's what I got from what I read about him.

Loved your vid too.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

I am rewatching Tesla eps too these days!

Originally posted by NumberSix View Post
                          Just another thought, pardon if it was already brought up, but maybe when he was talking to Will about being in love countless times he was also referring more to infatuation, those wild, early, can't get enough of this person days. He's also talking about "young love" and viewing it from a detached scientific point of view. So maybe he's differentiating between that and a more mature, lasting love. ?? And if he recognizes infatuation, maybe he uses restraint in those situations and that's what he means when he says he recognizes the feeling for what it is. dunno, just speculating of course.
                          Nice catch, and I agree with you re: differentiating.

Comment

Originally posted by iJOKE View Post
                            Very shippy

oh well.. a girl can dream

For some reason I dont think he REALLy loved that 'hottie at SCIU', i reckon he said it just to make helen jealous.. becaue once you know someone for a while you know how to tick that person off.

Ohhh. my mom likes Alan Rickman! Teehehehhe.
                            Oh yes, JoYo is.............................................................................. ...........there is no real word to explain it
                            But i also love Jude Law
                            I don't think he loved the Hottie at SCIU either, it was just something he said in his depression
                            Jude Law is good too And yeah, there really isn't any suitable words to describe JY

Originally posted by starjade View Post
                            First time posting here, very excited! Teslen!
                            Welcome welcome!!!

I've never been more proud.

Thank you, darling. All better now. And I'll squee once again just because Helen and Nikola are still sexy like that...
                            SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

And thank you.

Loved it! Commented on it. Shall rewatch it over and over...

Didn't RL Tesla claim to have a "pigeon wife" that was his white pigeon? If you guys want the shippy version of that, there's a fic I read a while ago that I just remembered thanks to this discussion about Helen being his white pigeon. It is pretty amazing.
                            http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7086405/1/
                            Heehee
                            There's still a miniture version of me in my head squeeeing all day I'm not crazy...not at all

Thanks so much!!!
                            oooh, reading it now!!! Its a great fic! thanks for sharing!

Many thanks to Star for reminding me, again
                            Your welcome =D

I remember Jon said he was afraid to join twitter because he gets easily caught up in things.
                            Maybe Tesla is similar. He gets exalted over interesting stuff immediately.
                            BOLDED: Does that mean if he joined twitter he'd never leave...YES! He'd reply to everyone!! *happyfangirldance*

Originally posted by Kytte View Post
                            I don't think that is quite right. In Chimera she never actually said she would have chosen him. She gave a diplomatic answer of, Do you even have to ask? Which doesn't actually mean anything. She answered a question with a question, which of course really isn't an answer at all. It let her respond while keeping her anonymity. The look he gave her was more like an appreciation of how clever she is(which is why he likes her) than him realizing that she was saying she would choose him. Its a bit of a game to them both I think.
                            Bolded: I never thought of it that way!! He actually does look like this!

New here! I was looking to see if there were other Tesla/Helen fans out there. And then I found this! Nice to see other fans of them out there. My sister and I love them.
                            Hi! welcome to the thread!

"You STILL like me." "I guess your father liked us best as a COUPLE." Or my favorite..."Vienna in springtime...Remember?" (And her very interesting reaction). History wise that would probably would have been when Tesla was visiting Austria in the late 1890s or early 1900s. Was she with him? Hmmm.
                            ^THIS! ^.^

Originally posted by Leesilm View Post
                            This is probably going to be completely off-topic because I just had this idea and thought I'd put it on here.

I have no skills with computers so I can't do this, but you think anyone could do a fanvid of Tesla & Magnus using Adam Lambert's new song, "Better than I know Myself" ? I heard it earlier and it just struck me as being very like them.

Just an idea.
                            Great song idea! So Teslen! I'd try but I think ZaraShade has probably already started

OMG noo! But I love your vids. And I feel less of an insane vidder with someone else. But I get that school comes first. I'm sure you'll do great in your final year!

Speaking of vids (what a great segue that was) here's my latest one -
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_36dyRanmM
                            I'm still here!!! *waves* we can be insane together!!

Love your vid!!!

On a different topic completely, my sister and I decided to edit a Tesla/Helen video. We love to edit and this is our first one with these two. It's a storyvid with a lot of VO's and action and is meant to just be fun. I'm sure we'll do more in the future.

[video=youtube;7_LzIhbzmpM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_LzIhbzmpM[/video ]
                            OMG!! I LOVE YOUR VID!!! The ending was so funny!! And I love all the VO's you used!

Originally posted by Mackandal View Post
                            Well, "I was wrong-there is a God" seems like a pretty clear statement of Tesla`s religious feelings.
                            I think that was just him joking around. I think we have to take most of what he says with a pinch of salt as he's rarely serious =D
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Yamiinsane, Thanks!
                            'It's Nuttier than Squirrel poo' - Amanda Tapping
                            : Thats it! Sphere, planet, label, name! : Following, still, you, not!
                            I'm not crazy...I just have another consciousness in my brain! So he just looks crazy then?
                            Indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Dinoman View Post
                              Great jobs, es! & silvervintage.

I always love vids with the actual VOs and your work is just awesome, silvervintage! Do keep them coming!
                              Thanks so much! My sister and I had a blast making the video because Tesla is VERY entertaining and Jonathon Young is a fantastic actor.

We have another video in mind we hope to get to soon. But it will also include Druitt and Watson, with I think the interpretation that Helen loves Tesla the most. It will be a more serious video.

Comment

Is it a program of sorts?
                                Cool.
                                It is. It's called Audacity and it's a free program. It helps with Audio. I like to use it for aiding in noise removal. We didn't use it for every clip in our Tesla/Helen video, but certainly for a few of them which really helped. If you're interested in it, just do a google search and the download for the program should pop up. It's not a bad program for editors, especially since it's free.

I am afraid you give TPTB too much credit when you say that the writers write him as the Byronic archetype. Sanctuary is not a classic novel; they don't do character studies and experiments with diverse archetypes. They write what sells. They cater to different target groups in quite primitive and obvious ways, offering several characters whom you can easily identify with or whom you would look up to. Tesla is an anti-hero like you find them in many, many other shows. It is possible that some of Byronic traits fit him, but I think it's mostly thanks to your knowledge of the matter and not because the writers characterized him like that, in such a detail, on purpose.
                                I feel writers are given too little credit. They have a difficult task, especially since writing a TV script is not just on their shoulders. They are given notes upon notes from producers, studio execs, etc...Many times they are even unable to get what they really wanted in the episode in the final draft because of studio interference. I actually think there are some pretty great TV series out there and I'm not saying they are classic novels, but certainly good, quality work is influenced by what has come before.

Sure, there are some uneducated writers out there, though they usually are at least good at their craft and educated in their area. But I think screenwriters should be and many are familiar (at least from my own experience) with basic archetypes because you need to study good storytelling. Many of them (of course never all) are more knowledgeable than one might think and many of them are quite educated in literature, theater, film, music and art. And even if they are not, writing a good Byronic Hero does not require extensive knowledge on the subject to be able to do so. Many archetypes are so familiar in our psyches that they are written subconsciously. Yes, it is a business that looks to sell. But many writers take pride in their work, are influenced by literature as well as other films and shows, etc... So I like to give most writers the benefit of the doubt. And even if a writer has no idea what he/she has created as a character, what kind of character that is, still stands IMO. Sometimes a writer goes with their instincts. In relation to Tesla and particularly Druitt on the show, one can never really know for sure what goes on in a writer's room unless they are in it themselves. But yeah, I do tend to give writer's credit because I think many of them deserve it! And even if the Sanctuary writers don't read classic lit, aren't familiar with basic archetypes, just want to write a story that will sell, they still have created a couple of interesting Byronic Heroes on the show IMO.

So I guess what I'm saying is that of course it's unlikely (though possible) they were sitting going: Yes, this character is Byronic. And that character is...Let's mess around with different archetypes, etc...Though character studies is important. My point is that no matter if Byronic traits were incorporated on purpose or not isn't really the point, the point is that these characters have those specific traits. So my theory is that Tesla is a Byronic Hero based on what has been presented on the show as is Druitt. It's not really for me to say if the writers were doing this purposely or not. One can only guess. Though I do know that Damian Kindler has a BA in English Lit so it's possible he is aware of what kind of characters he has made them.

It's always awesome to see when lurkers begin to post! <3
                                I'll admit, I only looked after the season finale. And that was mainly because I wanted to see if they had a fanbase. I was happy to find that they did.

Yeah, I know what you mean and our points of view don't necessarily contradict. I think he gets excited easily and falls in love head over heels if the circumstances are right, but that he cools down just as easily and jumps to his next new&shiny project, be it science or women. He is fickle that way, and I think that the short time most women could hold his attention would not be enough to seduce him into anything physical.
                                That usually tends to be the case! My theory is that Tesla is only in love with Helen, though he has had various infatuations. I agree, I think most women wouldn't be interesting enough for Tesla!

I think the show likes them because young girls fawn over Byronic heroes
                                They will never die. I don't think it's just young girls, though certainly that's one reason why YA paranormal romance where Byronic Heroes run amok are having such a surge right now. It's easy to place these larger than life characters into a supernatural, fantasy, sci-fi setting. And there will always be an interest in these characters who are mad, bad and dangerous to know because they're exciting. That's one reason why I like Tesla and Druitt as well! They are impassioned, intelligent characters who don't follow rules.

I know the point was to advance the relationship. But I think it was a stupid way to do it because the answer was obvious - on the level of logic, without involving any feelings to begin with.

I don't like when the writers think the fans are stupid. They could have written the scene a bit differently. The choice was never there, the desicion was obvious. Making Nikola ask about it is making him look stupid or too less confident.

Just my opinion of course.
                                I guess I just interpreted it differently. Because yeah, it always does come down to personal interpretation or opinion. I personally felt it made him appear more vulnerable than stupid. Perhaps he lacks confidence because she chose Druitt in the past over him? One can be the smartest human being in the world in relation to logic, but I don't think love really falls into the logical category. It's the one thing he can't be sure of: IE: Whether or not Helen truly loves him.

That's just my take anyway! I've found the various interpretations of this scene to be very interesting, all valid of course! It's very intriguing how each individual reads each scene on this show or any show differently than the person next to them. It makes for good discussion IMO!

Comment

Working...
                                X