No announcement yet.

Nikola Tesla/Helen Magnus Shipper Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder why Nikola, in the ep "Chimeria", is in the Sanctuary at all, I mean she probably wouldn´t call Nikola and asking if he feels like going into a virtual Sanctuary, wouldn´t she? So maybe he has already to go into hiding for the US Gouvernment, again That would be a recurrig theme too If they discovered what he´s up to, I guess they wouldn´t be amused and would want him to bring to justice, I just wonder how they would punish him . So he maybe has to hide in the Sanctuary, that would be great, we would always know where he is for the moment.

Comment

^ maybe he's just hiding there from the obnoxious Dr. Coates
      "Are you like, a crazy person?"
      "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Thank you for reminding me of that women I have just managed to forget herSeriously I still wonder if they had something or not or if he has something with women at all.

I found this article about teslen on tumblr, I´m always happy when I found something about that subject it´s so rare in the net.

"...I’ve had to agree on certain aspects such as that Tesla couldn’t have possibly been mooning over Helen in an oh-so-passionate way for the past century nor the fact that she loved Nikola all along. It would have been, in a writer’s POV, Out of Character for both of them to do so. It simply isn’t their style.

Helen Magnus is a person who loves people and cares for them deeply. The last century with John obviously made a huge impact on her. She is incapable of completely loving a person in that way due to the repercussions of their past, dysfunctional relationship and their present, much more dysfunctional relationship.

Nikola Tesla is an egoist. His pride appears to come first before anything else—perhaps even before Helen. This is the outlook he appears to have. Of course, this can change and it has as displayed by recent episodes such as Awakening and Resistance. It can be said that Tesla has another side of him that Helen manages to bring out. However, this does not stop his cravings for fame and success. He still tries to get at the top of things although with some agenda at the side. It is shown, however, that his friendship (if you call it that) with Helen is just as strong as his pride. One thing is for certain: His character doesn’t let him become as passionate and flimsy (would that be the right word?) as John can get at his vulnerable moments—his pride doesn’t let him. Compared to John Druitt, Nikola is less willing to admit he is in the wrong and manages to use some snarky comment to ‘up’ his pride. Of course, Helen can see through this.

Nikola, as said in The Five, said he had loved Helen all along. And that may be true. However, he wouldn’t passionately chase Helen as John relentlessly does. If he did, wouldn’t he be at the Sanctuary ever so often? John stays out of the Sanctuary for reasons such as guilt and conscience. Nikola, prideful as he is, has no reason to stay away. If he wanted to, he could waltz in the Sanctuary and grab a bottle no matter how much Helen protests for the paltry reasons of ‘wanting a drink’. Unfortunately, Nikola pursues his passion for Science more often and comes to Sanctuary when the need arises. In short, he is a man who wants but does not need Helen. It’s probably something that attracts Helen to him.

And onto the pairing. As said, Nikola is a man who wants Helen rather than needs her. Unfortunately for him, he can’t really get her so long as her lingering feelings for John and their past relationship still exist. In this way, it is near impossible for Helen to have loved him all this time. She could have had an attraction, but no deep love. After all, Nikola does know how to flatter a girl. But the fact that she had a child with John and married him only shows that she loved him in a way she could never love another man. It just so happened that John and her had a relationship that was destroying her from the inside out.

So what am I saying? I’m saying that for a good Teslen story/fic, there needs to be certain stages or minor moments that encourage Helen to first “let go” of this past and move on. She cannot simply—in a snap of her fingers—love Nikola. If the phrase “loved all this time” is to be used, it could probably work in concerns to the Helen and Nikola NOW or in the FUTURE. I don’t agree with it being used in denoting their relationship for the past hundred years or at least before John and Helen parted. If Helen had indeed loved Nikola all this time, it would simply belittle Magnus’s character as a woman who loves for the sake of being loved or loves because she is loved. If she is to love Nikola, it is because he is—pardon the pun—a Sanctuary for her. "

Nice thoughts but I disagree on some points, I don´t think that he doesn´t need her. While it´s true that he seems to be not very often in the Sanctuary, but what excuse should he have? At some point Helen would ask why he´s still around and he can´t say the truth, of course he could, but he doesn´t want that. I think he wishes to be with Helen more, spend more time with her, but for that he needs to be honest and he is too stubborn for that.

Regarding Helen not loving him all the time because she apparently still loves John, I think it´s possible that she always loved Nikola in some way while she loves John. You can love two people at the same time. I think she always loved him, but until now she never recognized that maybe?
        Last edited by Altariel; 22 November 2011, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Altariel View Post
          Regarding Helen not loving him all the time because she apparently still loves John, I think it´s possible that she always loved Nikola in some way while she loves John. You can love two people at the same time. I think she always loved him, but until now she never recognized that maybe?
          I am 100% sure that you can be madly in love with more than one person at a time, AND be so blinded by your feelings that you can't seem to realize what's going on

Nikola and Helen have a lot of history together. It's a perfect prerequisite for the aforementioned blindness

Why oh why does Helen love John? I don't mean it in a character-bashing way... but I really have to know (and I'm afraid to go to the Magnus/Druitt thread to ask). It's absolutely not realistic imho. But I rewatched "For King And Country" recently and it's obvious that she still loves him - from the way that scene (where she lies down to sleep in his arms) is written any played... It doesn't make any sense to me and my head explodes from trying to justify that. I am usually a sucker for angst, but Helen/John is even not angst... it's darker

Maybe I should go read some Helen/John ff to understand what makes this pairing attractive to so many fans...

Comment

But now another 100 years have passed for Helen. I wonder how this changed her feelings for John. For Nikola she obviously has feelings regarding the
            Spoiler:
            KISS
            but what about John? And I agree, I really don´t understand how she could love John after all what has happened.

Comment

Re: 100 years
              I am literally dying to know her secret!!!
              There is a new Q&A on YT. AT says that Helen's hidden agenda will come to light in the last scene of the last episode
              I am so impatient for this scene - it's sort of a key to Helen's character growth during her "exile" - and I am shivering with anticipation because it's gonna be a HUGE cliffhanger!!!

ETA re: John
              I really mean no disrespect, I know there are people here that ship both pairings, I am just really curious about what makes Helen/John work for these people.

With Teslen, it's banter and UST for me. And Niko of course, he's my all-around favorite character on the show.

Comment

(Ahaha my computer got revived! <3 Touch pad is gone for good, physically detached from other stuff, but it isn't like I used it anyway.)

RE: to thing I am too lazy to quote

Heh, Altariel, I have been thinkin the same, of why Nikola will be in Sanctuary in Chimera. My guess was that his little trick with the abnormal testing facility was noticed and he decided he needed some sanctuary, or maybe Helen needed his skills for something related to virtual Sanctuary. We'll see next week ^^

I didn't forget Coates I still think one could decrypt a lot of Tesla with her help... I just don't know what she is telling us. I am beginning to think that maybe Tesla isn't that interested in women after all, or sleeping with them anyway. Maybe once or twice, out of curiosity. Or something else. I'd love to see fanfic with Coates and Tesla

If Tesla needs Helen or not, I think that is a matter of perspective. He spent 60 years without her, and that tells something. Also, when we first saw him after those years, his behavior told something of how he becomes without her.

I think Tesla can keep himself busy without Helen. He can reach great things without her, and I don't think he misses her that much when he is working on with his projects. When Helen isn't a part of his life, can't see him trying to fill the hole with from opium in the company of prostitutes and criminals, as Druitt does. So, I think Nikola doesn't need Helen, emotionally.

But Helen can keep him occupied with things that do good. She gives him the challenges he needs, and direct his creative energy to what is good for other people. Her moral compass keeps him away from things he shouldn't fiddle with too much, and likely keeps his methods within reasonable limits. This is why I think Nikola needs Helen: to be a (remotely) good man.

I am not sure though how much of his good behavior has been because of Helen. I think the chance happened in him when James died. He kind of stopped playing and got serious for a while. How long he will be serious, or if it is Helen who keeps him that way... I can't decide. But I don't think the chance is that permanent. We have seen Nikola a bit more serious earlier, like when the war was raging, and he snapped out of it, or maybe it was his games that he snapped out.

Comment

FromOutside -
                  what a wonderful post!!! I love your analysis.

Re: Coates
                  I too think that Niko/Coates ff could be made of WIN! I hope somebody will write something in this direction soon

I am beginning to think that maybe Tesla isn't that interested in women after all, or sleeping with them anyway. Maybe once or twice, out of curiosity.
                  I think it's quite natural for an adult person to be less interested in sex *shrugs* One's curiosity is quenched, and the physical need is probably not strong enough to invest time in a relationship instead of science (in Niko's case). Our Niko even forgets to bathe when he's onto some discovery (Animus, anyone? lol) - I don't think he'd take time for something equally primitive, like sex

As I said here a while ago, I am certain Niko wouldn't know what to do in the first moment if Helen caved in to his indecent proposals. But there is such a strong emotional bond between them that it would make his sex with Helen worth his while, I think

Sorry for my ramblings... I guess I'm just trying to say that sex with Dr. Coates would be never interesting enough for Nikola to stop his scientific experiments for any amount of time

Comment

es, I am agreeing with that more and more

And something I forgot last time: RE: Helen and John

I don't ship any Sanctuary pairing (I am not much of a shipper in general) but if I did, I think I'd pick Helen and John.

Why? I mean, I don't like John that much. In all his angst he is pretty... angsty, and his relationship with Helen is so angsty I am getting tired of all the angst. (And I love angst!) I can't stand how John (and Helen, to a lesser degree) can't burn that bridge and go on. Really, all the time, and they just can't let it go?

To Helen and John: you two make me sick! You are the best example ever of why some people should never start dating, especially dating each other! Are you planning to go like this to the day the world blows to bits? Because it surely seems so! Really, I'd think that much experience in life would teach you a thing or two of forgetting and forgiving? And, John, you depend on Helen so much it is unhealthy. You should get your head checked!

And that is exactly why I'd ship them

There is the conflict and history that always makes things more interesting.

Then there is... well, John, who actually needs Helen more than anything, when it comes to emotions, or anything for that matter. A thing or two may not be quite right in his head, that is more than true, but it is good for the ego when someone or something is completely dependent on you. It is scary too, when you know it is a bit too unhealthy to end well, but it is difficult not to get somewhat sucked into it. That is probably what has kept Helen's feelings for John alive. (Remember how she was when she found him from... was it Shanghai, when he was in that sorry hole filled with worst of humanity has to offer?)

Maybe the main reason why I'd ship Magnett is that they once were. Everything worked once, and, if things were to go differently, maybe they hadn't stopped working at all? If John's problem was fixed, maybe things would start working again? It is the maybes that make them so interesting.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation!

On a side note, I think we have a different understanding of what "shipping" means
                      I think it means being interested in a (romantic) relationship between fictional characters, in its twists and turns. In this case, you seem to qualify

Comment

I can´t imagine Helen and John ever being together again. If I would be Helen I would always be afraid that he shows his other face, even if someday it will be possible to eliminate the creature, like she said it wasn´t the creature alone and after all he is a murderer, how could she love a murderer? I really hope that after this 113 years in isolation she is finished with John. That is just so unhealthy.

Regarding Nikola not needing Helen, I can´t agree. Sure he doesn´t need her in the ill way John does, he is still an individual but I nevertheless think that he needs her, emotionally too. Why was he confounded after Hanry said that he betrayed the best friend he ever had? And then he gave Henry the information Helen was after. I don´t think if he had done that if he doesn´t depend on her emotionally. It´s true that he is able to distract himself from Helen through his work but at one point he misses her, like after the 60 years where he had to see her.

I just think Helen and Nikola is the better story, a friendship that turns into love is IMHO more appealing than some old warmed up love and on Nikolas part it´s even dramatic, if he really always was in love with her to some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by es! View Post
                          On a side note, I think we have a different understanding of what "shipping" means
                          I think it means being interested in a (romantic) relationship between fictional characters, in its twists and turns. In this case, you seem to qualify
                          You may be right. Personally I have always thought that shipping is a bit more enthusiastic than just plain interest, because if it was only that, many viewers would ship practically all pairings in a show, even many that are not I have always viewed shipping as a special interest and thought that some characters are just meant to be together.

The interest I have, but the thought of them being together, not that much (That goes to both Teslen and Magnett)

I just think Helen and Nikola is the better story, a friendship that turns into love is IMHO more appealing than some old warmed up love and on Nikolas part it´s even dramatic, if he really always was in love with her to some degree.
                          With that I have to agree. Magnett seems to be mostly the past but as an AU, what-if, etc. fanfic writer, I still like it, though Sadly John doesn't make me fangirl so I rarely read magnett fics if the pairing gets too much attention.

Comment

Originally posted by FromOutside View Post
                            You may be right. Personally I have always thought that shipping is a bit more enthusiastic than just plain interest, because if it was only that, many viewers would ship practically all pairings in a show, even many that are not I have always viewed shipping as a special interest and thought that some characters are just meant to be together.

The interest I have, but the thought of them being together, not that much (That goes to both Teslen and Magnett)
                            There seems to be a whole shipper SPECTRUM! Lol
                            Seriously, I too don't really know where the line is... but I think we are shippers if we are interested enough in a pairing to show up in this thread regularly and spend our precious free time writing down our attempts at analysing the said pairing

And btw, I too don't want Niko and Helen to hook up. And I am totally a shipper, still. *mutters* Banter & UST, banter & UST...

Comment

I would want them to hook up in one of the last eps of season 5 so there can be banter and UST the entire season, but not strech that too long then there is the danger that there is no more season and in the end we have nothing. That is my wish, I just wonder how that could happen

Comment

I would want them to hook up in one of the last eps of season 5 so there can be banter and UST the entire season, but not strech that too long then there is the danger that there is no more season and in the end we have nothing. That is my wish, I just wonder how that could happen
                                When I read this first time, I have quite amusing mental image. In it Helen hands keys of her sanctuary to Will and tells him he is ready to run the place, meaning that she can finally flee and move to Hawaii with Nikola, who in this mental image is wearing a suit and a lei around his neck

... may not be happening

Regarding Nikola not needing Helen, I can´t agree. Sure he doesn´t need her in the ill way John does, he is still an individual but I nevertheless think that he needs her, emotionally too. Why was he confounded after Hanry said that he betrayed the best friend he ever had? And then he gave Henry the information Helen was after.
                                To the bolded part, I don't think Nikola was going to work nicely to the government, not even if we don't count in his own little side project. I am pretty sure he doesn't like that abnormals are systematically searched and tested on by something that has that kind of power behind it. He may not care that much what happens to the individual abnormals, but let's not forget: he is an abnormal himself.

By letting the government run it's facilities efficiently, and especially help them do it would be kind of stupid for a genius. There is surely short term gain, and I don't think Nikola is above getting the profit when he can without risking what is important for his long term goals but... He is relatively immortal, after all - he likely isn't thinking what kind of world he is creating to his children, he is thinking what kind of world he is creating for himself. I am quite sure it isn't a world where abnormals, himself included, can be tested on secret facilities run by governments without anyone taking the action. He saw WWII, and I think he is seeing some similar development here.

Comment

Working...
                                X