Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is something that was asked at Expo this weekend. Apparently Damian isn't too worried about the torrents and things at the moment, because the important thing is getting it out there. I can't remember what he said about after the first four eps,though
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by petemoretti View Post
      About the Sanctuary being expensive ! Forgot what I've said ! The HD version is already on torrents...
      I wonder how they expect to turn a profit with this kind of things
      I suppose they are hoping that most people will do the honest thing and not rip them off by downloading it via torrent. They obviously realize this is happening, but if people are downloading, then they must have some interest in viewing it. Hopefully some of those people will start to purchase it by the time the fourth episode airs. In my opinion, there will always be a select group of people who do not feel that what they are doing is wrong, but seeing as the big movie studios and television studios haven't been able to do anything to stop it, I don't think the folks at Sanctuary will have any better luck. I suppose they can simply hope that the honest viewers, who truly want to see the show continue, will be enough to keep it going.

Comment

Just a little something to get things straight : How big is the HD version ?

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
          Cause some people don't want to DL it from torrent, cause they are behind the project...I think the people who put it up there should get it off again, and also I really hope people don't DL it. Cause they really need our support.

but I agree in the end I can see people DL it because the HD version is rather expenisive... And unless you really are a devoted fan, you don't want to pay that much 12,5€ for about 1 hour 30 minutes of telivision...cause that is rather expensive
          Wow.....that is expensive. So this $1.99 that people are paying, is that just for ONE 17 minute clip? I was under the impression that that was the total price for whatever number of parts that would make up a "normal" television episode length. Because even $1.99(which wouldn't be HD I presume?) for just 15-17 minutes starts to sound pretty expensive..... Either way, I'd rather wait for a DVD release.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
            Wow.....that is expensive. So this $1.99 that people are paying, is that just for ONE 17 minute clip? I was under the impression that that was the total price for whatever number of parts that would make up a "normal" television episode length. Because even $1.99(which wouldn't be HD I presume?) for just 15-17 minutes starts to sound pretty expensive..... Either way, I'd rather wait for a DVD release.
            If you go to the site and Damian's blog there is a good write up explaining the cost of the webisodes. And since I hope for it to continue, I purchased the HD bundle today
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
              Well that is what I paid for the HD bundle, so that are 4 webisodes from around 15 minutes, although some are 18 so... But you do have good quality and you support something worth supporting. I guess if it was just for a TV show I would never pay that much for it but since it is Sanctuary I am willing to pay for it cause I think the concept is awesome and I also like the webisodes so far... and Amanda is in it does help

But I can see people who don't give anything for the concept or anything like that, DL it from torrent, cause well to them it is free and it is a way to see it without paying that much.

I don't like that idea though Cause so many people put so much in it... So I want this to work. It need to work.

I really hope that everyone who can afford to buy that much money and who really is interested in it, does buy it

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                This is something that was asked at Expo this weekend. Apparently Damian isn't too worried about the torrents and things at the moment, because the important thing is getting it out there. I can't remember what he said about after the first four eps,though
                Indeed i asked and Amanda and Damian were not worried about either the finacial or social networking implications of Illegal's. Amanda said that if people want to get it for free, they will, its a fact of the entertainment industry nowadays. However the interactive features which will truely make sanctuary another kind of show will not be available from torrents and thats where they will focus.
                I just want to know how they will limit the interactive features to people who have downloaded the webisodes and exclude those who havent paid, without jeperdising their fanbase in the process. If i get a chance ill bring it up with Damian if i chat to him; not sure when they are back in Vancouver though.
                Last edited by immhotep; 28 May 2007, 01:34 PM.
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                  Oh, are you comparing that to the version you saw at the Expo? That was probably pretty cool. I hope they've gotten a chance to personally document everything they've been filming so far for the DVDs in the future.

And yes... *shallow hat* ... Robin Dunne. Poor guy did NOT know what kind of fans he'd be getting when he joined this series.
                  Yep. I pretty much have no shame. Zero.

And RE the torrents thing: There will always be piracy. With every door closed, ten others will open. No show will ever be immune to its effects. The most they can hope for is that the show sparks enough interest, and the interactivity compells people enough to purchase it legally. This is just me but I think that the Sanctuary team should lay their focus in advertising the series rather than worry about the technicalities of piracy, which I think is what Damien was getting at at the expo.
                  sigpic

Comment

advertising is the key
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583 View Post
                      I've just watched the 2nd webisode and it was great, the only thing wrong was i seem to be missing about 16 seconds right at the end, it stop dead with Ashley in mid sentence! Has anyone else had that trouble, or is it just me?
                      yeah I had that too, so don't know what happened at the end yet but hopefully they'll fix it soon
                      I really really enjoyed what I did see though it was very funny
                      RE: paying for Sanctuary, I bought my bundle when Wep 1 went live cause like lots of others I want to support this new media, it is kinda expensive but look what we're getting for our money and then there's the whole game/interactivity aspect we haven't really seen yet and IMHO audiences have asking for more involvement than just watching for a long time, now we have that opportunity thanks to the wonderful Sanctuary folks and if that means paying then thats what I'll do

Julia(samcarterrules)
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

What is supposed to be at the end & were those extra 16 seconds confirmed ?

Comment

Here's the free online webisode you can compare it to
                          http://www.veoh.com/videos/v5463918BRgc97M
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

yeah I agree Will(Robin) was looking very nice in this episode!

Hopefully there will be enough honest people to purchase the show!!!! Price wise it's not that expensive considering what I am paying for nonlasting items(drinks, meals, movies at theaters, gasoline NOW THAT is what we should be complaining about lol ) I hope they do advertise instead of going with the big studios... Because let's face it your parents were right ... I know I know it pains me too lol, but money doesn't grown on trees and they need support to keep this project going. I for one like the show... there are some parts that this weakling may FF through but as long as Will and Helen are on an adventure...DK, MW, AT, RD and others are involved with this project I will support them as a fan!! Great job Sanctuary team!

I do look forward to seeing the dynamics of the mother/daughter (Helen and Ashley's) relationship... From the two webisodes I get the feeling that Helen is wise and she has a purpose... she is constantly looking at all the angles.

Helen's scene with Will was humorous. I definitely look forward to seeing these two characters interacting as well!!!

Can you imagine Will's reaction on the next webisode
                            Spoiler:
                            now that he knows Ashley is Helen's daughter lol... can't wait!!

Oh and on the issue of the webisodes coming out every two weeks... don't you think it's because they have only shot the pilot! They need to keep the interest up until they can get into the studio and film an entire season which if I remember correctly DK wanted to do about 40 webisodes for a season ... hmmm yeah let me do the math on that ... yeah my guess is it will air weekly.

OK well I guess that is enough ramblings from me...lol

Comment

With these two points
                              Originally posted by petemoretti View Post
                              1. Too gamish (and not in a good way) I've seen PC games with better graphics !
                              I think the VFX are inconsistent. Sometimes they are quite good (there is an amazing CG shot of the river and city in webisode2) and other times they look kinda bad, mainly with the animation on computer generated objects/characters. The rotoscoping also tends to be a bit iffy at times, and you can quite clearly see blurryness around the edges of the actors (especially their hair) when they're against a greenscreen.

2. The sound has an artificial note at times (especially the rain)
                              Well a) you're listening to it on youtube which massively cuts down on the quality and b) it isn't a surround soundtrack. Since they're only using a stereo soundtrack they're losing a lot of subtely that a 5.1 or better would deliver. However that would probably require licensing a codec from Dolby or DTS or THX or someone (ie moneys) plus it would significantly increase the file size.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                                I think the VFX are inconsistent. Sometimes they are quite good (there is an amazing CG shot of the river and city in webisode2) and other times they look kinda bad, mainly with the animation on computer generated objects/characters. The rotoscoping also tends to be a bit iffy at times, and you can quite clearly see blurryness around the edges of the actors (especially their hair) when they're against a greenscreen.
                                That is my one beef with Webisode 2. While the story was great, I found myself distracted by the blurry edges around the actor and other parts (like the jerky car pulling into the gates)... Or maybe that's part of the blessing and curse that comes with HD - you can see everything.

For some reason, it seems like those flashlights created problems, too. I don't know the exact technological term for it, but it affected the lighting on the actors in the shots that I don't think would've necessarily been a problem without the greenscreen behind them. Found the same issue underground with Helen and Will when they were hiding out.

As AD and Ooobs can attest, I'm not all that choosy when it comes to quality of other kinds of media online (or at least when it comes to torrents). However, in this case, I did notice some things that were rather iffy. I don't know if they're isolated incidents or not.

Beyond that, of course, the webisode was great.

Comment

Working...
                                X