Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
    You don't really sound alike, I think there's just some similarities in how vowels are pronounced. So, I think that makes it easier for people to do the other accent. I can instantly tell the difference between British and Austrailan. Of course, some accents are much more subtle than others. There's so many variations on each of the accents - American, Australian and British - that I guess a lot depends on which region each person is from that determines what they detect. Many people don't hear Canadian accents, but I can usually tell if someone is from Canada pretty quickly. Just certain vowel pronounciations that are different. But I usually can't tell which southern state someone is from, just that they are from the south.

That's interesting. I wonder why you don't detect it while watching the shows.
    oh yeah if i can hear the accent then i can definately hear the difference in the vowels...

my whole family are the same, they think americans sound like us on tv but not interviews... never really thought to ask anyone else...

so when you think australian accent what do you think?

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    I was thinking you'd be one of the Sanctuary *residents.* <ducks> (couldn't resist)

I think you're right that AT could do an Australian accent. Are there any Australian actors you'd like to see guest star in the Australia episode?
    like i said above AT sounds like us to me anyway on stargate...

as for australians in sanctuary, i only watch one australian tv show... so id have to say id like to see simmone jade mackinnon [probably wouldnt happen as it might be weird for sjm], lisa chappell, michala banas or brett tucker as guest stars if sanctuary ever did an aussie ep...

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    that's what? 1000ish miles???? I've driven more than that in a week

it's a 3 hour plane trip
    well depends where you are... 3 hours from sydney, 3.5 from brisbane, 3.45 from melbourne (and thats just along the east coast)... 8 hours from perth on the west coast...
    "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

aah, ok, that makes a bit of a difference

having never been to aussie land I don't have a scope of how big it is
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think Amanda doing as aussie accent would be a total crack up. - G'Day mate! Extra incentive to make the trip to Melbourne in October for the con.

As for the Aussie Sanctuary.. well we know there's one in Britain, one in Japan, I'd assume there would be one in Australia as well

:: hugs Chelle :: We can run it together!

Comment

new zealand and australia are, well like the us and canada...so close that they're not really apart

*ducks from angry kiwi's and aussies

my point was, it's lucy's neck of the woods, whichever island it is
          I just wish Canada would keep their arctic air where it belongs. We're having record low temps right now. Going into the 50's tonight and it's mid summer! And to keep myself on the good side of our Canuck friends, it's all that cold air that makes them have to have warm hearts.

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
          oh yeah if i can hear the accent then i can definately hear the difference in the vowels...

my whole family are the same, they think americans sound like us on tv but not interviews... never really thought to ask anyone else...

so when you think australian accent what do you think?
          It has a very musical quality. Lots of ups and downs in the speaking voice. Can't really explain how the sounds are different. Can't figure out how to do it phoenetically. I like it. Don't know if I've ever heard a Kiwi accent.

Maybe I just have an ear for hearing accents. (though I don't think I mimic them well) I tend to pick up on the subtle ones before other people do. That's one reason why I love what Amanda has done with Helen. You can hear hints of different accents in her speaking. Very true to life for someone who's moved around a lot. My sister knows a woman who moved from England to Tennessee, so she has a British/Southern American combination. Always interesting to hear which regionalisms people have picked up and which things they've held onto from their original accent.
          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
          Anon

Comment

Seriously?

I sometimes think Americans are proud of their limited world knowledge. Sigh. Generalising, I know, but that's what it feels like sometimes.
            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Almost as big as your 48 contiguous states -

Originally posted by yunadax View Post
              I think Amanda doing as aussie accent would be a total crack up. - G'Day mate! Extra incentive to make the trip to Melbourne in October for the con.

As for the Aussie Sanctuary.. well we know there's one in Britain, one in Japan, I'd assume there would be one in Australia as well

Ummmm, maybe not "G'day mate", that is awfully difficult for people to get right for some reason.

Run it or run around in it?
              -

Comment

just out of curiosity - how many people do you actually know that say gday mate

because i dont know anyone who talks the way people think aussies do... its just a caricture started by crocodile dundee and perpetuated by the likes of steve irwin and kath & kim...

as for an aussie sanctuary - id LOVE to do a walk on in that ep

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                I just wish Canada would keep their arctic air where it belongs. We're having record low temps right now. Going into the 50's tonight and it's mid summer! And to keep myself on the good side of our Canuck friends, it's all that cold air that makes them have to have warm hearts.

It has a very musical quality. Lots of ups and downs in the speaking voice. Can't really explain how the sounds are different. Can't figure out how to do it phoenetically. I like it. Don't know if I've ever heard a Kiwi accent.

Maybe I just have an ear for hearing accents. (though I don't think I mimic them well) I tend to pick up on the subtle ones before other people do. That's one reason why I love what Amanda has done with Helen. You can hear hints of different accents in her speaking. Very true to life for someone who's moved around a lot. My sister knows a woman who moved from England to Tennessee, so she has a British/Southern American combination. Always interesting to hear which regionalisms people have picked up and which things they've held onto from their original accent.
                i can pick up when people have an accent, the problem i have i knowing what the accent actually is now british/southern would be very interesting to hear... i love the southern american accent, its awesome

if you want to hear a kiwi accent listen to lucy lawless in the movie 'bedtime stories'...

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                Almost as big as your 48 contiguous states - http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7607/austusamap.th.jpg
                yup, so we cant day trip to another state unless we live near the boarder... cause from where i am to brisbane [capital of queensland] is a 1.5 hour drive and thus a day trip in itself... now when i was in the states last year we were able to travel between 3 states in one day no problem...
                "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

because i dont know anyone who talks the way people think aussies do... its just a caricture started by crocodile dundee and perpetuated by the likes of steve irwin and kath & kim...
                  Ah, the younglings these days Sorry but that isn't correct, it used to be very common and still is in various parts of the country, the entertainment industry certainly didn't start it.

as for an aussie sanctuary - id LOVE to do a walk on in that ep

i can pick up when people have an accent, the problem i have i knowing what the accent actually is now british/southern would be very interesting to hear... i love the southern american accent, its awesome

if you want to hear a kiwi accent listen to lucy lawless in the movie 'bedtime stories'...
                  or people can try playing one of Neep's vids on YT
                  -

Comment

I recently found and deleted the video I posted when I was slightly tipsy and on a high from having dinner with Chris Judge. Don't remember putting it there

How's this for something very Kiwi... Last night I slept over at a Marae with my coworkers. The wharenui is a huge meeting house that everyone sleeps in together, so we can have a pajama party and say it's a cultural thing It was awesome though... I think most people really enjoyed it and learned a lot about the Treaty of Waitangi and Maori culture. I was lucky enough to go to a high school with it's own Marae so it wasn't a new experience for me. With ~ 50 people sleeping on mattresses in one room, we had our share of snorers so I'm shattered. Night!
                    Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Oh, this one is nice and full of voices. See if you can make out anything at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK2s-GSZec8
                      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                        I recently found and deleted the video I posted when I was slightly tipsy and on a high from having dinner with Chris Judge. Don't remember putting it there
                        Rats!! You mean we've missed our opportunity to download it and keep it as blackmail material?!?!?!?

How's this for something very Kiwi... Last night I slept over at a Marae with my coworkers. The wharenui is a huge meeting house that everyone sleeps in together, so we can have a pajama party and say it's a cultural thing It was awesome though... I think most people really enjoyed it and learned a lot about the Treaty of Waitangi and Maori culture. I was lucky enough to go to a high school with it's own Marae so it wasn't a new experience for me. With ~ 50 people sleeping on mattresses in one room, we had our share of snorers so I'm shattered. Night!
                        That sound really cool Neep. Ya know it would be great if the Sanctuary peeps could do an ep or two using the mythology from our part of the world (see I can be on topic sometimes ). Various cultures hereabouts have an oral history that goes way, way back in time.
                        -

Comment

Oh, this one is nice and full of voices. See if you can make out anything at all!

If it wasn't for the accents, that could be my family clan gatherings can be a tad chaotic
                          -

Comment

Seriously?

I sometimes think Americans are proud of their limited world knowledge. Sigh. Generalising, I know, but that's what it feels like sometimes.
                            Nope. It's the same for anyone living in any country. If you haven't visited there you don't have a full grasp of the country... I've had friends from other countries that asked if Kentucky was on the coast?? We just politely say nope it's land locked state in the south ... and no not everyone in the south wear cowboy hats and boots, it's actually pretty rare for most (not all) southern states unless they are tourist or on stage.

I also read an SG1 fanfic from a neighbor across the pond that had a hurricane hitting Colorado. We politely explain why that wasn't possible.
                            Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 18 July 2009, 06:10 AM.

Comment

LOL - I know how you feel.
                              When my dad was in his really bad motorcycle accident, it happened in W. Virginia. He spent a week in hospital there before being stable enough to be flown back up here to Ontario. Our insurance paid for everything -- but we still had collection agencies trying to track us down, b/c some of the bills went to Ontario CA instead of Ontario Canada, so obviously hadn't been paid yet ... My poor sister was home from school while this was happening so had to deal with all the collectors calling.
                              What do you mean the bill didn't reach you? It was sent to Ontario CA.
                              Yes, but we live in CAMBRIDGE, a city in the PROVINCE of Ontario.
                              Province?
                              Yes, it's like a state, but bigger.
                              You're in Canada??
                              Yes, we're in Canada.
                              Is that the West coast or the East coast?
                              It's in the middle.
                              So you're French?
                              *headdesk* ...oui.
                              It got to the point where she'd tell them we were on the Southern coast (which we are, technically) -- that usually confused the callers enough that she could get in the correct address for them to resend the bills to (Pls bear in mind that my sis was only 15 at the time, and getting very tired of answering the same q's repeatedly...)
                              This is also why I insist I'm a Southern Cdn, btw - and for those of you going 'wth???", look up my hometown on a map of North America. I live further south than a large chunk of the USA!
                              ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                              ames on facebook
                              ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                                I was thinking you'd be one of the Sanctuary *residents.* <ducks> (couldn't resist)
                                Well technically I guess I would be...am an abnormal!
                                I think you're right that AT could do an Australian accent. Are there any Australian actors you'd like to see guest star in the Australia episode?
                                Can't think of any Aussie actors I would like to see on Sanctuary to be honest!
                                is lucy lawless back at home?
                                if so, wouldn't she make a GREAT boss of another sanctuary? or an abnormal
                                As in back in NZ?? I'd rather see Neep run the NZ branch!!
                                Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                                I'd also like to see her shoot an episode in Australia, hey, maybe that's part of the reason she's coming down to Australia . Hey Chelle, maybe Amanda will give you a role on the show
                                I seriously doubt they will film anything for Sanctuary while visiting Melbourne. And if Amanda would give me a role on the show, then I think it would be fair to say that I would probably need resuscitation!
                                Originally posted by suse View Post
                                I'm thinking the whole Australian continent is one big Sanctuary.
                                suse
                                It is! What? No one told you?? For shame!!
                                new zealand and australia are, well like the us and canada...so close that they're not really apart
                                *ducks from angry kiwi's and aussies
                                *cough* if you call 2,200 km across the Tasman Sea as close, sure
                                Australia in simple terms is bloody big!!!!! And while I consider NZ my cousins across the seas, we are totally different...the Kiwi's have a funny accent that makes the number 6 sound like an act of making love! Don't deny it you Kiwi's...I have family who reside over there!
                                There has to be one here...where do you think our politicians come from? Little buggers escaped and took over Parliament!
                                You can be my protege yunadaz!!
                                Seriously?

Ummmm, maybe not "G'day mate", that is awfully difficult for people to get right for some reason.
                                Run it or run around in it?
                                Both!! And no on the G'day mate thing. I'm so over it.
                                Uhm...lots actually!! I have been known to let it slip on occasion but its not a term I use daily.
                                Then you haven't met my brother!
                                It's like the term "crikey"...I actually use that word but not as prolific as I used to years ago...once it became known as Steve Irwin's word I tried to drop it...but it has a habit of sneaking up sometimes and popping out when I least expect.
                                As for Kath and Kim...that's just not noice! I mean that is just way way out there and drives me bonkers!
                                Ok... got it!!! Kinda sounds like my house!
                                The pregnant one said 22 weeks...at least it wasn't twenty sex weeks!!
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X