• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fear and Loathing (214)

Visit the Episode GuideREVOLUTION - SEASON TWO
    FEAR AND LOATHING
    EPISODE NUMBER - 214
    Held captive in New Vegas, Monroe and Connor learn that they will be forced to fight to the death. While Miles debates how far to trust his new allies, Aaron and Priscilla debate whether or not to help save the nanites from an inevitable destruction.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 07 March 2014, 09:14 PM.

Fear and Loathing

You know a lot has happened since Revolution went on hiatus; actually nothing has happened. Along from a few devoted fans on Twitter who tried to save the show via the annual "Save One Show" and a hashtag campaign, not much action has been taken to save Revolution. No one has a site, no one has an idea what to do, they're just operating in the dark. Which is what this episode appears to do...

Now first off, Sebastian and Connor have got to be the most entertaining part of this episode. By forcing the two together in a situation of life & death, they have a chance to express feelings to each other; we see how Sebastian views the experience of his son and we see how Sebastian has hurt a lot of people over the years while also dealing with a hurt person himself; Connor. You get to see the raw emotion while getting lots of visceral action and bloodshed; these are actually people we can get to know and trust, these are actually engaging people who have carried this series for so long and the best part about it is that they make you believe that they're actually going to die; that one of them will live. These scenes are so good in engaging you, so good in fact that they actually make you wish that one of them didn't have to die. These people are going tough, these people are going at each other with sheer force that you just have to believe Season 2 is going to be great.

Until they get saved.

You obviously have one person "Charlie" free from captivity and in a position to do something about it. Sure, she gets kidnapped but per Revolution tradition she always gets free from her captors and manages to fix the situation by saving a person who was obviously going to get killed and killing the person who will create more plots if alive. Granted Monroe's chick did have good ambitions and she did act well but knowing much about the intentions doesn't make a reset button hidden; in fact it makes it more obvious. Revolution is supposed to be this brutal show where people don't make it and you could die but the sheer fact that everybody is able to get out of dangerous situations easily and without major injury sidesteps that; sure, MonroeCharlie has her army soldiers now (which does give her character the oppertunity to become something so that's nice), sure the battle for the Patriots are just heating up but don't you want something different? Don't you want something that's meaningful and beneficial? Because since we're going to be going back to Willowbury, that's what we're not going to get.

Man vs. Woman

Revolution also promises things that should get more exploration but often fall flat on their faces; with Nevill we thought we were going to get lengthy exposition about trust and true intentions but instead (and thank god for that) we get an instant revelation that Nevill is in fact working for the Patriots and reveals that he's doing this to save his wife. While many people are proud that it isn't dragged out; the potentials for exploration are suddenly shut off for more exciting venues such as Connor and Monroe and *sigh* Aaron and Pricilla which dominate this episode. We see more of the Patriots bad ways which has gotten tiring by this point. Empty barrels to store the candidates in, check. Presidential guy that just happens to tie into a character (in this case Nevill.) check. Pointless banter, check and check. We don't even get anything regarding a plan to get back at the Patriots, he just admits he's working for them and thanks to an overly exaggerated Mexican standoff, Nevill and Jason are now a part of the group with no consequence and no action. Though the show would like you to think there's a consequence, there really isn't.

Then we head to Aaron, Nevill and the "nanites aren't god" plotline that seems to define this very show... And with this episode, not define it. Confused? Let me explain. They seem to think that the artificial nature of the nanites leads to discussion that hardcore sci-fi fans will love; that none of this is natural, that everything is a trick. We're lead to believe that since they have a conscious, since they can heal people and since they can burn people, they can be a form of God. Hell, God 2.0 even. However I do commend them for introducing something innovative and that is "will you let God die", I don't know about the religious standpoints but I do believe that people think that God makes the world go round, what would happen if God would die, what would happen to the beliefs and dreams of everybody here? This almost asks the same question except all we're going to be really losing is the ability to heal people and smite people by burning their charred corpses; would we be losing an ability that only technology can possess, will we be losing a secular consciousness? All questions you could care less about; and there's no real reason or conclusion, all we get is a bunch of thunderstorms that happen to further destroy the town of Lubbock and woosh, Aaron is all ready to help save the nanites which poses the ultimate problem. The lack of any real exploration; whenever they get something going, they just present some analysis and leave much of it to the imagination. Sure, we might of gotten that in Lost but it was the characters that drove it. Here, the same luxury isn't there unfortunately.

Programmers Paradise.

The ultimate question that has to be asked is this. Does this show deserved to be saved? Some say yes, some say no but the question is ultimately unanswered. Everybody is doing their best to try to save it but with episodes like this, it makes you test your faith. Maybe this entire show is a test of faith, designed to weed out only the most noble of people. I mean think about it; long drawn out plots, repetitive recycled plots, analysis that only goes to the shallow side, characters that don't satisfy? It's definitely a test of faith and right now I'm failing it and the problem is, I don't care. If Revolution writers are going to make episodes like this, why bother?

2.5/10
    Last edited by ZRFTS; 27 February 2014, 04:27 PM.
    Back from the grave.

Comment

Monroe doesn't have an army, Charlie does. An I wouldn't call five guys an army. Through I got a feeling Conner is the kind of girl that not going to accept the patriots on her territory. So I hope we see her coming to her senses and committing herself properly to the war before the end of the season.

If there is one thing they need to do is put Charlie through their indoctrination camp.

I think you missing something, if God 2.0 dies, the power comes back on. An hopefully we will get more debate next episode about the nanites.
      Last edited by knowles2; 28 February 2014, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        Monroe doesn't have an army, the Charlie does. An I wouldn't call five guys an army. Through I got a feeling Conner is the kind of girl that not going to accept the patriots on her territory. So I hope we see her coming to her senses and committing herself properly to the war before the end of the season.

If there is one thing they need to do is put Charlie through their indoctrination camp.

I think you missing something, if God 2.0 dies, the power comes back on. An hopefully we will get more debate next episode about the nanites.
        I apologize, my TV was on the fritz so all I could see was pixelated jagged goodness. I'll repair the article to reflect that right away. It is a plus since it gives Charlie something that isn't rescuing people or showcasing pathetic examples of emotion.

Yes, the power goes on but think of it this way, this AI can think, this AI can magically heal things today's technology can't and they can kill people without a sweat. I think people like Peter would be willing to sacrifice the power for a new era in religion. One that includes an actual god no less.
        Back from the grave.

Comment

Meh

Comment

I really enjoyed the episode. Loved the scenes between Monroe and his son, though it was obvious that neither of them would die and that Charlie would end up rescuing them. I kind of liked that Duncan put Charlie in charge of her men.

Loved some of Neville's comments to Miles in this episode. I also loved when Miles said that he was "still pulling the knife out of his back from the last time Tom put it there". I liked the little standoff. I'm really glad that Neville ended up telling Miles about why he was really there.

The Aaron/Priscilla/Peter stuff was ok for the most part. I like Aaron, I don't care much about Priscilla and Peter though, and I kind of wish they hadn't been brought into the nanite/AI part of things.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
              Loved some of Neville's comments to Miles in this episode. I also loved when Miles said that he was "still pulling the knife out of his back from the last time Tom put it there". I liked the little standoff. I'm really glad that Neville ended up telling Miles about why he was really there.
              I totally agree with that. I think Neville should know by now that he's probably better off with Miles knowing where his motives lie than trying to deceive him. Especially because Miles is possibly his best chance at mounting some real resistance to the Patriots. He knows Miles motives are not like Monroe's motives. He knows that Monroe craves power and ultimately Miles craves security and peace, with a big dose of revenge mixed in.

I am REALLY NOT looking forward to where we are headed with the impending Jason, Connor, Charlie love triangle.

Comment

I'm not looking forward to the probable love triangle either. Though, I don't think I've ever watched a show where I've thought "Yay, a love triangle!" lol. Hopefully, if there is one, it doesn't get much focus.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  Ahh.. but will it come back on?

Evn though watching the ep online got cut off at the 23 min mark, it was still enjoyable, just for the banter between miles and nevil, and for the Monroe-Connor fight training and evolution of their characters.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    Ahh.. but will it come back on?
                    No nanobots, there nothing draining the power. So yes the power will return.

Comment

I guess (and we were shown when aaron was having his mind games in the next ep!)

Comment

Working...
                      X