Whats going on with Spiderman??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats going on with Spiderman??

I've heard bits and bobs but surprised no ones commented on it...

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
    I've heard bits and bobs but surprised no ones commented on it...
    Disney and Marvel had a spat, the fans went NUTS, and now they have a new deal (apparently).
    Pre "Far from home" it wouldn't have mattered so much, Sony could have easily spun Tom Holland into their universe, but now he -can't- be the friendly neighbourhood spider man ignoring the Iron man connections and the reveal of his identity.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

The whole thing is just....weird.

- We've (of course) known about the deal for several years now - Disney/Marvel Studios produces (and apparently does most of the legwork for) Spider-Man films, Sony gets most of the revenue because they're the IP rights-holder, and Marvel gets to use Spidey in their in-house movies.

- The revenue split from the solo Spidey movies is, to say the least, a bit lopsided. I don't know when exactly it became public knowledge, but it seems that for the solo movies, Sony gets 95% of the revenue, Disney/Marvel just 5%.

- After the stellar success of Far From Home (so far it's made twice as much money as Amazing Spider-Man 2), it sounds like Disney/Marvel went back to Sony to say something along the lines of "hey, look at all we've done for you with these movies, we'd really appreciate a bigger cut than just 5%." There's a Deadline article out there that claims Marvel asked for as much as 50%, but since neither side has confirmed this, I'm a bit skeptical.

- Sony said no (we have no idea what amount of negotiating did or did not happen), Disney/Marvel walked away. The story got out to the public and everyone went nuts.

- Sony put out a nonsensical statement to the effect of "it's unfortunate that Kevin Feige is too busy to continue with the deal, what with all the new FOX IP he has on his plate," which makes no sense whatsoever.

- Disney/Marvel has made no public statement at all.

...and here we are. I have a feeling the negotiating isn't over, and that Sony's public statement is just some kind of weird negotiating ploy (seriously, I cannot figure it out at all). But we shall see.

Maybe Tom Holland can stay in the MCU, but as Pietro Parkour, Night Monkey
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Did they ever progress beyond endless retelling of the origin story?

Comment

Sounds like Sony shot themselves in the foot
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

As a tangent to this (sorta)

Spidey is now apparently OUT of the MCU, and on the same day that Sony announced this, Marvel (quietly) announced that Iron man would be back in TV form to train a new successor as they can no longer use peter parker. It flew under the radar for 3 days, but now is all but confirmed to be happening.
            Take what you will from that, just thought I would share.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              As a tangent to this (sorta)

Spidey is now apparently OUT of the MCU, and on the same day that Sony announced this, Marvel (quietly) announced that Iron man would be back in TV form to train a new successor as they can no longer use peter parker. It flew under the radar for 3 days, but now is all but confirmed to be happening.
              Take what you will from that, just thought I would share.
              That's a neat trick, considering Tony's dead

Got a link for that? I'm pretty on top of prowling the nerdy sites and this is the first I've heard of it, I'd like to know more!
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                That's a neat trick, considering Tony's dead
                BARF and EDITH fix that, cause Sony can't use them.

Got a link for that? I'm pretty on top of prowling the nerdy sites and this is the first I've heard of it, I'd like to know more!
                I'll look
                sigpic

Comment

Sony and Marvel Studios have reconciled. As of right now, Spidey will remain in the MCU for a third Sony/Marvel solo film (July 2021) plus another Marvel-only film.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/sony-wa...cs-1202746497/

Comment

Well done. I believe I have heard gossips about 25% deal at the end. It would have been a shame to lose Spiderman in the MCU.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Sony and Marvel Studios have reconciled. As of right now, Spidey will remain in the MCU for a third Sony/Marvel solo film (July 2021) plus another Marvel-only film.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/sony-wa...cs-1202746497/
                      Plus it seems Tom Holland had a role in rebuilding that partnership.

Comment

Working...
                      X