Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCU after Endgame (speculation, Endgame spoilers obviously)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCU after Endgame (speculation, Endgame spoilers obviously)

Now that the Endgame has come and gone...what next? I've been trying to figure out what all might be in the pipe and there's actually quite a lot out there to suggest what we'll spend the next few years watching....
    • Spider-Man: Far From Home is already on the calendar for July, so that's a given.
    • Guardians of the Galaxy 3's drama has been no great secret, so that's a given too.
    • In October, Marvel hired Ryan Coogler back to write and direct Black Panther 2
    • In December, Marvel hired Scott Derrickson back to direct Doctor Strange 2
    • Apparently on Tuesday, Kevin Feige confirmed Shang-Chi at an Endgame press conference
    • The Black Widow solo movie is seemingly the worst-kept secret in Hollywood right now, with several roles having already been cast and widely reported on
    • Apparently writers, directors, and Angelina Jolie have been hired for an Eternals movie

So that's already seven movies that are confirmed to some degree. But that's not all we can work out...

Thor survived Avengers: Endgame and appears to have joined the Guardians, and recently Chris Hemsworth said he'd love to keep playing Thor if they'll let him. So even though Endgame was the end of his contract, it seems reasonable to speculate that he'll return.

Anthony Mackie's contract is not clear, but the standard seems to be six. If that's the case, it looks like he's done (Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame). But with him receiving Cap's shield at the end of Endgame, it seems pretty likely that he'll be taking over as the new Captain America.

Mark Ruffalo has been open about being on a six-film contract. Since cameos (like Iron Man 3) apparently don't count toward that total, those so far will be 1) The Avengers; 2) Age of Ultron; 3) Ragnarok; 4) Infinity War; 5) Endgame. So he's still got one contractually-obligated appearance, which is going to have to be an appearance alongside other characters due to the ongoing Hulk rights situation. (Plus I prefer to believe that Mark Ruffalo is just happy to be invited )

Rumour is that Benedict Cumberbatch is on the standard six-film contract too (supposedly that was the sticking point which led to Joaquin Phoenix withdrawing from consideration). If that's indeed the case, he's only really at four: 1) Doctor Strange; 2) Infinity War; 3) Endgame; 4) Doctor Strange 2. I believe his appearance in Ragnarok only counts as a cameo, so it doesn't count toward the total.

Elizabeth Olsen, if she is on the standard contract, is currently only at four: 1) Ultron; 2) Civil War; 3) Infinity War; 4) Endgame.

Chadwick Boseman is supposedly on a five-film contract. So that'll be 1) Civil War; 2) Black Panther; 3) Infinity War; 4) Endgame; 5) Black Panther 2.

Tom Holland is supposedly on the standard six-film contract. So that'll be 1) Civil War; 2) Homecoming; 3) Infinity War; 4) Endgame; 5) Far From Home; and 6) ????

And Brie Larson is on a whopping seven-film contract. So that'll be 1) Captain Marvel; 2) Endgame; 3) almost certainly Captain Marvel 2....which leaves giant question marks for a further four films.

I'm curious how and if they're going to approach the future team-ups. Are we getting more Avengers movies, with a new roster? Are we focusing only on individual stories for a while? Might there be team-ups with a new team name?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I would imagine that it will follow a similar pattern to what has happened with the MCU in the beginning. Most of the origin story movies have been done for the current "new Avengers", so there is no need to do them. What I think will happen is the current crop of "2" movies will happen, perhaps introducing a new hero (Nova??) then the Asguardians of the galaxy will introduce the next big bad for the new avengers. (Adam Warlock?)
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

When do we think the X Men will be introduced, end of phase 4/phase 5?

Also, apart from the above mentioned Adam Warlock, who could be the next Thanos?

Comment

There's been a little buzz that James Gunn has had some sizeable influence on Phase 4, so I'm wondering if maybe GF might be dead on the money in guessing that Adam Warlock might be the next big franchise-spanning villain.

For the now-ex-FOX properties like the X-Men and Fantastic Four, I have a feeling it might be a little while before we see anything concrete. The deal was only closed a couple months ago, and I'm sure Marvel already has a lot of wheels spinning for the next 3-5 years' worth of movies. I feel like we might get some little teases here and there in Phase 4 (maybe a mention of mutation, or even a credits scene tease of like...something that's been slashed by three claws, or something like that), but I'm not really expecting them to turn up for a while.

The again, nobody thought we'd get Spider-Man in this franchise as soon as we did, so who knows?
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          There's been a little buzz that James Gunn has had some sizeable influence on Phase 4, so I'm wondering if maybe GF might be dead on the money in guessing that Adam Warlock might be the next big franchise-spanning villain.

For the now-ex-FOX properties like the X-Men and Fantastic Four, I have a feeling it might be a little while before we see anything concrete. The deal was only closed a couple months ago, and I'm sure Marvel already has a lot of wheels spinning for the next 3-5 years' worth of movies. I feel like we might get some little teases here and there in Phase 4 (maybe a mention of mutation, or even a credits scene tease of like...something that's been slashed by three claws, or something like that), but I'm not really expecting them to turn up for a while.

The again, nobody thought we'd get Spider-Man in this franchise as soon as we did, so who knows?
          The only thing that slows my roll of Adam is he was integral to the Infinity War in the comics and turns hero. Perhaps he will have a "face" change after being a villain for awhile? At his power level I think that ultimately someone else such as Kang (they have been screwing with time travel), Galactus, or Annihilus who can play on his level being the ultimate bad for the next saga.
          Kang would make the most sense simply because they have set the rules for MCU time travel, and even allow for Stark, Steve or Widow to come back for a guest appearance, like the Ancient one.

As for previous FOX properties, I believe I read somewhere that they are not slated for phase 4 at all -however- it would not surprise me in the least that near the end of phase 4 we get a new Deadpool as he is the only character NOT to be re-cast in the MCU.
          sigpic

Comment

I've been saying to my friends for a while now that, now that Stan Lee has passed away and will have no more cameos, I hope the future cameos are all Deadpool. Do it exactly the same as they would've with Stan Lee, only it's Deadpool in full costume, without anybody remarking upon it in the slightest.

Example: The Civil War scene, where Stan Lee is a FedEx driver who says "I have a package here for Tony Stank." Now sub in Deadpool for Stan, in full costume, with a FedEx uniform on over top of that, delivering the exact same line.

That, and every other cameo, would work exactly as well

Comment

I think they've shown that mixing and matching heroes works surprisingly well. So there may not be a "BIG" Avengers but there could definitely be bigger movies "Civil War" style.

Comment

Apparently Kevin Feige did a Reddit AMA the other day, in which he revealed/announced/said/whatever:

Redditor: How far is the MCU planned in advance?
                Feige: We usually work with a specific 5 year plan at any given point but often have a general plan that extends much, much further.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/05...t-kevin-feige/

And that there are plans to address the Ten Rings and Mandarin threads left dangling by Iron Man 3 and All Hail the King:

Redditor: Without going ino to details about developing projects, are there any plans to incorporate the Ten Rings from the first Iron Man, or the "real" Mandarin teased in "All Hail the King" in the future?
                Feige: Yes.

https://old.reddit.com/r/marvelstudi...fa&sh=1d64b4ac

Comment

Apparently Kevin Feige did a Reddit AMA the other day, in which he revealed/announced/said/whatever:

Redditor: How far is the MCU planned in advance?
                  Feige: We usually work with a specific 5 year plan at any given point but often have a general plan that extends much, much further.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/05...t-kevin-feige/

And that there are plans to address the Ten Rings and Mandarin threads left dangling by Iron Man 3 and All Hail the King:

Redditor: Without going ino to details about developing projects, are there any plans to incorporate the Ten Rings from the first Iron Man, or the "real" Mandarin teased in "All Hail the King" in the future?
                  Feige: Yes.

https://old.reddit.com/r/marvelstudi...fa&sh=1d64b4ac
                  Interesting... I do know in one Marvel Universe Mandarin was Shang-Chi's father so maybe that'll be a thing.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Oh, I was not aware of that. Now that's an interesting possibility!

Comment

Oh, I was not aware of that. Now that's an interesting possibility!
                      It is only one minor appearence I think. But as I recall Marvel has rights issues with the super villain that was originally depicted as Shang-chi’s father so swapping it out for the Mandarin makes sense, at the risk of being a bit like “well they’re both Asian, right?”. But it could end up being quite cool because you have this Kung-fu Master (who essentially IS Bruce Lee in comic book form) going up against some good old fashioned far-east mysticism. If you want an iron man connection in there maybe add a War Machine cameo.

Comment

I wonder if we might get exactly that kind of thing, more 'mini-crossovers' like how Hulk was in Ragnarok. They'd have to be cautious about doing it with newly-introduced characters though, so the established ones don't outshine the character who's supposed to have the spotlight.

Comment

I wonder if we might get exactly that kind of thing, more 'mini-crossovers' like how Hulk was in Ragnarok. They'd have to be cautious about doing it with newly-introduced characters though, so the established ones don't outshine the character who's supposed to have the spotlight.
                          I'm kinda hoping they reintroduce wolverine with a Hulk movie. Have him fresh out of Weapon X and hunting down Banner for Ross, may be trying to provoke Hulk into becoming the full rage version again and Professor Hulk not being capable of effectively fighting back against Wolverine. Make Logan full on savage and a nasty piece of work who by the end of the film wants to make amends and then the After Credits sequence to that is a but like the one with Stark and Fury at the end of Iron Man but instead it's Professor X beaming into Wolverine's mind while he's drowning his sorrows at a bar and being like "Have you ever considered going back to school?".

Comment

It looks like the Black Widow movie will be shot in Budapest. This is a great news and a very good advertisement for my capital city. Yay.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              It looks like the Black Widow movie will be shot in Budapest. This is a great news and a very good advertisement for my capital city. Yay.
                              Plus we get to find out what happened
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X