No announcement yet.

Black Widow - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a long while since I posted around these parts, but I have some thoughts.

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
    Enjoyed this, not the best but certainly not the worst. The post credits scene sets something up nicely though...
    Kind of sums up my feelings too. This movie is very... average. For me, that starts with the villains. Feels like we took a trip straight back to Phase 1. Had the same issue with Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

Ray Winstone, unfortunately, while coming off across as sinister and creepy (Harvey Weinstein, anyone?), does not pull off anything even remotely resembling a convincing Russian accent. One of the few times that I feel like Marvel made a major misstep in casting an actor. Took me right out of a lot of scenes.

The Taskmaster debacle is even worse, considering a version of Tony Masters should be a fun (albeit tragic) character with a ton of personality. This is a former SHIELD agent whose photographic muscle memory also causes him to forget past events and even his own family, leading him to create a villainous alter ego. He's confident to the point of arrogant and for good reason (since he can fight and hold his own against multiple Avengers for a short time). He can quip with the best of them (Spider-Man, Deadpool, etc.). But once someone starts to get the upper hand, he'll turn tail and run.

The Taskmaster we got in Black Widow is… there? The writers, per an interview, apparently, didn't want the character to be just another goon, but that's exactly what we ended up with. A pity, since Taskmaster is the guy that runs a school and trains heroes and villains alike. In the context of this movie, that practically writes itself. Considering the backlash here might be worse than with the Mandarin, we might see this get course-corrected later on. Though it's a shame that this movie couldn't have handled things better.

Spoiler:
    Even if you're not going to translate a comics accurate Taskmaster from page to screen, this could have been improved. I think, throughout the story, it could have been interesting if everyone assumed General Dreykov was alive and still controlling the Red Room. In actuality, the twist is that he died in the explosion. Antonia survived, but badly mutilated, and continued her father's work by becoming the Taskmaster. Less of a puppet (knockoff Winter Soldier, really) that way. Obviously would have a vendetta against Natasha and, once she loses the protection of the Avengers, Taskmaster goes after her with a vengeance. Or, heck, just have Taskmaster not be mind-controlled and have some personality.

On the other hand, Yelena and Red Guardian were absolute standouts (and I hope we see a lot more of them). In my opinion, though, they end up overshadowing Natasha in her own movie.

Comment

Yelena will be in Hawkeye

Comment

Working...
      X