Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

science or spiritual? (spoilers for series finale)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kmiller1610
    replied
    Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events that are apparently causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner.

Leave a comment:

• kmiller1610
    replied
    Here's what lost is about in one word:

With one breath, with one flow
    You will know
    Synchronicity

A sleep trance, a dream dance
    A shared romance
    Synchronicity

A connecting principle
    Linked to the invisible
    Almost imperceptible
    Something inexpressible
    Science insusceptible
    Logic so inflexible
    Causally connectible
    Yet nothing is invincible

If we share this nightmare
    Then we can dream
    Spiritus mundi

If you act, as you think
    The missing link
    Synchronicity

We know you, they know me
    Extrasensory
    Synchronicity

A star fall, a phone call
    It joins all
    Synchronicity

It's so deep, it's so wide
    Your inside
    Synchronicity

Effect without a cause
    Sub-atomic laws, scientific pause
    Synchronicity......

Leave a comment:

• kmiller1610
    replied
    So I just got my set of Lost seasons and I am re-watching them. This thread needs a third category, because it isn't about science or religion. It's about philosophy. The third episode is a Latin term for the nurture side of the nature / nurture philosophical argument (Tabula Rasa). Locke was a philosopher. If you want a sci-fi parallel try B5 ( Chaos Vs Order).

And you gotta love that first scene with Locke and the Backgammon game. They obviously knew what they were doing from the beginning.

Leave a comment:

• Morbo
    replied
    you guys are crazy.

the show was NEVER about answering the island's mysteries.

The writers didn't not know their stuff. they knew everything, which is why it was all connected the way it did.
    They didn't give us what they thought we wanted. They gave us a conclusion to THEIR story. THE story. The one about the characters. NOT about the island.

and if they all got off the island and lived happily ever after -that completely negates the entire point of the show.
    Last edited by Morbo; 06 September 2010, 09:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kmiller1610
    replied
    Originally posted by tomstone View Post
    Its not just that. They left all answers out and gave us what they thought is what we wanted. I mean wtf writing is that?
    The story was mystical from the beginning. You just aren't used to a sci-fi show that isn't highly cynical about religious things. It is near dogma in sci-fi that religion is just unexplained science. In this show, the mystical WAS the explanation. In other words, LOST went where very few have gone before. Appreciate the diversity.

Leave a comment:

• tomstone
    replied
    Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    yeah.

or they left out the answers, b/c they never figured them out for themselves.
    I always thought that, but never expected them to leave it this way. I know they probably never could have explained it all, but they could have tried at least.

Leave a comment:

• majorsal
    replied
    Its not just that. They left all answers out and gave us what they thought is what we wanted. I mean wtf writing is that?
    yeah.

or they left out the answers, b/c they never figured them out for themselves.

i loved this show. LOVED it. now i don't feel like watching an ep again. i'm just too bummed about it.

Leave a comment:

• tomstone
    replied
    what don't you get that some ppl wanted the happy ending in real time!? like, while they were ALL still alive? that's what i wanted, ALL of them getting off the island and ALL of them living to enjoy it. that's my happy ending. :/

seriously, i get what you're saying, but not everyone sees 'happy ending' the same way.

Leave a comment:

• majorsal
    replied
    Originally posted by Morbo View Post
    so, you missed the point too, then.
    I'll say it again.
    They WERE NOT ALL DEAD THE WHOLE TIME. Everything that happened on the island - HAPPENED. they didn't all get together in dead-church world until they had each died on their own time.
    It wasn't really that hard to understand.
    Jack succeeded in getting them off the island. Hurley & Ben took over controlling the island for who knows how long. Everyone else went and lived their lives.
    what don't you get that some ppl wanted the happy ending in real time!? like, while they were ALL still alive? that's what i wanted, ALL of them getting off the island and ALL of them living to enjoy it. that's my happy ending. :/

seriously, i get what you're saying, but not everyone sees 'happy ending' the same way.

Leave a comment:

• tomstone
    replied
    Originally posted by Morbo View Post
    I'll say it again.
    They WERE NOT ALL DEAD THE WHOLE TIME. Everything that happened on the island - HAPPENED. they didn't all get together in dead-church world until they had each died on their own time.
    Jack succeeded in getting them off the island. Hurley & Ben took over controlling the island for who knows how long. Everyone else went and lived their lives.
    Okay, I mostly deleted it all from my mind, but from the looks they were DEAD. They were gathering DEAD people to meet in a church to go into the afterlife. ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME?

You can rationalize it all you want, but in the end they took the easy way out of all the contradictions they produced over the series. I am dissapointed, and now NBC did the same with Persons Unknown. That was a Awesome series, but they have to destroy it by not ending a Mini Series as it should be, but airing the original ending for a hope of a secound Season. It sucks.

Leave a comment:

• Morbo
    replied

Seriously, how can you still fever for their struggle of survival once you know they are all dead anyhow?
    I'll say it again.

Leave a comment:

• majorsal
    replied
    To be honest, the end ruined Lost for me forever. I seriously cant watch it anymore and when I see a comercial about the Finale I am leaving the room before I start to rant.

Seriously, how can you still fever for their struggle of survival once you know they are all dead anyhow?
    it's kind of ruined it for me too. i just have no interest in anything about it anymore, b/c of the totally bummer ending for me.

Leave a comment:

• tomstone
    replied
    To be honest, the end ruined Lost for me forever. I seriously cant watch it anymore and when I see a comercial about the Finale I am leaving the room before I start to rant.

Leave a comment:

• Alan Wake
    replied
    so we've the series finale, and it went on the spiritual side...

i'd have preferred the island's mysteries being handled through science (fact or fiction), instead of it being allegorical to religious tones.

what about you guys?
    I think there can be both. We may have got some spiritual moments, but the island can still be "scientific"

Leave a comment:

• shipper hannah
    replied
    If they had answered all the Island's mysteries with some technobabble, I think it would ultimately have been unsatisfying. Lost is nothing without that mystery. Rewatching it you can wonder who made the giant Anubis statue, what the 'light' of the Island really was and it's philosophical implications.. etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X