• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Other Side (208)

GRIMM - SEASON TWO
    THE OTHER SIDE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 208
    Nick and Hank investigate the murder of a high-school athlete; Capt. Renard deals with unwanted romantic attention; and Monroe gets an unexpected visitor at the spice shop. (TV Guide)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 05 October 2012, 01:15 PM.

A good episode.

The captain is getting extra creepy, but seeing him lose control was interesting.

The Wesen-plot was ok, but we seem to have on going theme of Wesen puberty problems.

Wu so needs a first name. He is fun.

Not as good as 206 but better than last week.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

First the important: Here's the direct link to the album with the promised caps from(BOTH!) Renard/Monroe-scenes at the Spice-Shop. The quality is really crappy and I think I will redo the caps as fast as I can lay my hands on the HD version I will get (hopeful tomorrow). Have fun with them, mi_guard and everyone else !

So, now the ep.
      Well ... hard to say something. The idea with the double-Wesen was interesting, mostly I remember that topic came up this summer in the fandom and was discussed felt hundred of thousand times. I think the whole thing came up with the Monrosalee-shipping, don't know exactly. It was around when I joined this fandom *shrugs*.
      The crime-storyline was better written this time, especially because I really had no clue who the killer was. First I had the mother in mind, then (of course! like Nick and Hank) the teacher. That it was the boy ... interesting plot! I hope for some more about something like this .
      BUT ... is it only me or is this whole Juliette/Nick/Renard-problem getting old? I'm really tired of it and that's so sad because I like all three characters. But not this way. It's lasting now from the very first ep of season 2 on, enough is enough! To bring now this "it's all hopeless, you have to accept it"-thing ... *shakes head* ... I cannot believe that Adalind would do a permanent damage to Sean. She was in love with him.
      True, he put her aside very rude. True, Nick killed her Hexenbiest but this whole thing is like a big balloon, growing bigger and bigger every week and killing all the excitement and fun in the show. They have to find an end to this - no matter how. this is leading nowhere now.

Said that back to topic:
      Sean was really desperate at the spice-shop, especially with his second visit, when Monroe told him about what to do. That's hard, and that's why I think there have to be another way.
      Adalind in Vienna ... maybe I'm wrong but I think the entry-pic WAS actually Vienna, it looked pretty much alike this usual post-card-landscapes. But the inside of the opera was again US *smirks*. Well, better then that reapers-pub in season 1 I think.
      So Adalind will build an alliance with Eric. Mh, we will see where this will lead us. I cannot believe that's all she has in mind, there's something else going on with her, besides that revenge-thing. Maybe ... I'm going too far, sorry.
      It was interesting to get a little more background on Sean, even if this was only a glimpse, everything is welcome .
      Leads us to the Spice-Shop. Monroe was pretty underused this time. I still don't get it that Nick and he are this departed now. Where's their friendship gone? What about that "I'm not a Status Quo kind of guy"-thing? I miss them so much, having fun together. You know what? I rewatched 1.19 yesterday and instead began to laugh during the dinner-scene I began to cry ... Such a shame!
      Well, Sean at the spice-shop and Monroe's questions ... OMG! I really want to know how many times they had to film this special scene. That was so damned funny! And how sad the result was in the end. No hope, Nick's trying to make Juliette fall in love with him again is also pretty useless I fear. *shakes head* I have no idea where this plot will finally lead us but I fear it won't end up luckily *sighs*.
      Which leads me to my other problem: Hank. Well, this time he saved the boy's life. It was interesting to see how deep Nick is now in his Grimm-mood. Again, good fighting scene, besides the start of it which reminded me pretty hard on 2.06. Nick has to learn to use his sense better. I'm pretty sure this sense will also show him where the Wesen are - exactly! And I have to say, I loved the scene on the roof when Nick handcuffs himself to save the boy's life. A glimpse of the good old Nick - I really miss him *sigh*.

So, what resumee?
      I have no idea where TPTB will lead us this season but, as I've said above, I'm pretty tired about the Juliette/Nick/Renard-storyline. They have to end that thing, no matter how. This episode? Better then 2.07 but far away from the begin of season 2.
      Last edited by Hyndara71; 20 October 2012, 03:16 AM.

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
      Sig & Avi by Josi
      sigpic
      LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
      I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Well, I disagree with you Hydara about the Renard/Juliette story but I will get to it later
        To the episode.
        I liked it much, much more than last week´s. Actually, I even have problems to remember what was the last episode about.
        They tied all stories together nicely in this one. I would call it "a story about losing control". I don´t think writers are getting enough credit for their writing but I think this a smart way how to develop all characters, tie their individual stories together and keep the procedural part.
        Renard - usually very cool and calm, loses it. I don´t think he has any idea about Nick-Monroe connection so he will have to either tell Monroe or Nick, if he doesn´t want to put himself and Juliette in danger. It is pretty obvious where this story leads. We still don´t know if Renard is against or with Nick but I am beginning to think he wants a revenge and a power - the story about his mother taking him to the US (so our theories about royals in the US was correct, I guess, they are not there), made me believe that something bad happened to her and he wants his "rightful place". It was nice to see Eric again. He is a great villain.

I honestly didn´t feel the killer was as obvious as the last time (I remember, the little girl!) and the story was interesting. It also gave a few answers about "what happens when two Wesen mix their genes". Now I see why Verat (among others) tried to prevent it. It would lead to stronger Wesen who they couldn´t control. And it sets an interesting dilema for Monroe and Rosalee in (a very distant) future.

Nick - I like those little hints they are giving us. I LOVE Grimm Nick (I prefer darker characters, I am just twisted that way ) and him losing control like that was just...wow. I mean, Pierce was dangerous and bad, but Nick kicking his ass and then beating him even after he changed was pretty disturbing (for Nick and obviously for Hank as well). He can assure Hank about not being as his ancestors but his "Pierce, believe me I KNOW" made me think he realized that you can´t just give up your history when it is literally in your blood and you have to fight it every day. I am wondering if Hank will be there to stop him in these moments. It would certainly make sense for him to do so.
        No scenes with Nick and Monroe again. Boo, hoo I like how they slowly try to involve everybody with everybody but I miss their bromance.

I think Juliette is the one who will be the first one to go. Because, let´s face it, even if she knows, then what? She will be there, worrying about Nick more than she does now and I am afraid their relationship will never be fully restored. It seems more forced than it was before, when they actually were together. Every female character, even the guests, are more interesting than her. I apologize to her fans but I think she will be used as a plot device for Nick to get really, really mad...
        Speaking of plot devices....key under the flower pot? It was obviously used for Renard to get into the house but, Nick, really? You have assasins coming for you (they wouldn´t be bothered by looking for a key, anyway but what about a common burlger?). That was stupid.

Now, to the Renard/Juliette/Nick story. I don´t think it takes too long. It took them a while to just make the potion work (it began properly owrk only in last episode) and it is tied to Juliette´s memory loss and it leads to Renard who got cornered because he just has to tell somebody...so no, I don´t think it takes too long. But I would love to see Renard to reveal himself very soon.
        Also, why don´t you think Adelind wouldn´t do it all just for a revenge? I think she has every reason to be angry. She was so far a proper female villain and a good one. She is no innocent victim. She was betrayed (and made it pretty clear), her mother was killed (despite them not seeing eye to eye, she was still her mother) and she lost her powers. Isn´t that a good enough reason to get in touch with Eric and plan it with him?

I like ghost stories but I am afraid the main story will be pushed a little aside next week for the sakes of Halloween. We´ll see.

P.S. They really push the "PG-13" limit because the bloody scenes are bloody and killing 18 year olds who we actually got to know...I like that. Grimm needs to be a little messier.
        Last edited by Klenotka; 20 October 2012, 03:22 AM.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

i think renard is torn. He wants his rightful place, yes. but he was also raised or has a sense of responsibility and duty that flies in the face of the selfishness of 'my place'.
          He has no idea about nick and monroe - in his version of the world Grimm humt and kill wesen, not help them, so it'll be interesting when that comes out. (Probably towards the end of the season)
          It's also possible that Renard is thinking if he can control a grimm he can direct or use that grimm in his quest for power, but there is that whole internal struggle going on too. Because he should have let Juliette die, but he saved her, probably out of loyalty to nick. Which is another massive conflict.
          He's trying to live and control two worlds and it's probably not going to go easily.

It'll be interesting to see if he and nick become allies or enemies, especially once Nick finds out who and what he is.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I liked this episode, at least the main storyline.

I have to admit I had no idea who the killer was (for a while, I thought it was the mom). it definitely brings up an interesting point with two wessen mixing. though I think if it was natural, say monroe and rosalee had a kid, then that kid would be more stable than the one in this one. because certain genes will go together.

I personally loved the part when Nick went all grimm and probably was going to kill the kid if Hank hadn't stopped him. the look on Hanks face, when he saw how close Nick came was good too. I love how it showed the darkness that comes with being a grimm.

I keep forgetting that Renard doesn't know how close Monroe and Nick are (or Rosalee since it was her shop). I don't think he would have gone there if he did know. and I have to give to Monroe for having the best line in the episode "is this for a human or an animal" or whatever he said.

the storyline I'm getting really tired off is the Renard and Juliette stuff. The whole time he was in her house I was tempted to fast forward. I really hope it gets resolved soon. And in a reply to Juliette not having much to do besides that, I think they should make her a recurring character (once this story finally ends). that way she can be with Nick, not know who he is and it not being a major thing.

and I also didn't like how there was no Monroe and Nick scenes

side note: I was glad to see Wendell (who's an intern lol).
            Last edited by blueray; 20 October 2012, 06:02 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
              Nick - I like those little hints they are giving us. I LOVE Grimm Nick (I prefer darker characters, I am just twisted that way ) and him losing control like that was just...wow. I mean, Pierce was dangerous and bad, but Nick kicking his ass and then beating him even after he changed was pretty disturbing (for Nick and obviously for Hank as well). He can assure Hank about not being as his ancestors but his "Pierce, believe me I KNOW" made me think he realized that you can´t just give up your history when it is literally in your blood and you have to fight it every day. I am wondering if Hank will be there to stop him in these moments. It would certainly make sense for him to do so.
              Don't mind me. I love Badass!Nick but I cannot believe that he's changing this far this quick and running on one constant level all the time. Besides ... I really would appreciate it when he would calm down a bit ...

No scenes with Nick and Monroe again. Boo, hoo I like how they slowly try to involve everybody with everybody but I miss their bromance.
              That's the point. For the most people I've "spoken" with mention this friendship as the strongest reason to stay turned on Grimm. And now? Nothing, not even a call. I still don't get it!

I think Juliette is the one who will be the first one to go. Because, let´s face it, even if she knows, then what? She will be there, worrying about Nick more than she does now and I am afraid their relationship will never be fully restored. It seems more forced than it was before, when they actually were together. Every female character, even the guests, are more interesting than her. I apologize to her fans but I think she will be used as a plot device for Nick to get really, really mad...
              I disagree here. Juliette isn't only a plot devise - or she wouldn't be one IF TPTB would decide so. She's clever, she already had figured out some of the truth in season 1 by herself (Big Feet). And as a vet she could probably help. Don't know how this is in the US, one of my nieces is a vet and she also had to learn some bases on human-medicine for her "Doctor". Juliette could, when better written, be a help- and useful character, even with the Wesen.

Also, why don´t you think Adelind wouldn´t do it all just for a revenge? I think she has every reason to be angry. She was so far a proper female villain and a good one. She is no innocent victim. She was betrayed (and made it pretty clear), her mother was killed (despite them not seeing eye to eye, she was still her mother) and she lost her powers. Isn´t that a good enough reason to get in touch with Eric and plan it with him?
              True, what Sean did to and with her wasn't the best thing to handle a woman and true, Nick killed her Hexenbiest and made her human. So she has the right to feel angry and try a revenge. But so addicted as she seemed to be to Sean in season 1 I cannot get that she would avoid to put some kind of backdoor into her potion.
              Also, Grimm still have this little fairytale-character. Do you know any fairytale without a happily ever after? I'm not - but, well I'm not that fairytale-reader at all.

I like ghost stories but I am afraid the main story will be pushed a little aside next week for the sakes of Halloween. We´ll see.
              I really looking forward to next week. I don't think it will be a real ghost they are hunting then. And, again don't mind mind me, I will be reliefed not to think about the whole storyarc they are using this season but only sit back and enjoy the show.
              BTW, thank you for reminding me to talk to my boss to come in for work later next week. It isn't the best thing to watch a new ep of Grimm after five hours very-very-very early shift without too much sleep (actually I think it was around one and a half hour last night). I barely can keep my eyes open today *yawns*.

Sig & Avi by Josi
              sigpic
              LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)

Comment

That´s why I watch Grimm on Saturday afternoon. After five working days when I don´t sleep much, I want to get some decent 8+ hours of sleep on Saturday I love Grimm but days when I used to stay up to watch online (Atlantis) are long gone. When I waited a whole week, I can wait a little longer. Also, the longer I wait, the less time between episodes

I don´t think Nick changes too fast. It took him a while to get his priorities straight, to balance it all and to use his inner insticts. I remember reading complaints about how sassy and weak Nick was, that he wasn´t a Grimm at all, not badass enough...writers will never satisfy everybody. Also, Nick faced a lot in past year, with Juliette losing her memory and Monroe being in danger as the last thing that probably kicked him into "Grimm mode".

I am glad they involved Hank but Monroe and Nick could at least call each other to ask how they are doing. For a long time, Monroe was the only one who Nick had. I hope they just take time to establish Hank in Grimm world and then get the whole gang together, mixing characters together.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

I am glad they involved Hank but Monroe and Nick could at least call each other to ask how they are doing. For a long time, Monroe was the only one who Nick had. I hope they just take time to establish Hank in Grimm world and then get the whole gang together, mixing characters together.
                  that would be interesting because so far its been Nick with Hank or Nick with Monroe (except for when Angelina was there). I hope they do go the path of having group stuff (with Roselee as well).
                  sigpic

Comment

That´s why I watch Grimm on Saturday afternoon. After five working days when I don´t sleep much, I want to get some decent 8+ hours of sleep on Saturday I love Grimm but days when I used to stay up to watch online (Atlantis) are long gone. When I waited a whole week, I can wait a little longer. Also, the longer I wait, the less time between episodes
                    Actually I've every Saturday shift from 5 am to ... end open, at moment, thanks to all the overtime I have, I'm only have to do some base stuff and can go than. But after it's (for now) my only early shift the week I have a pretty hard time to find any sleep. Plus, this week there was a (funny thing) award show in Cologne where the shop I'm working at won an award (but again not the first place). My boss is a pretty bad loser and sometimes very choleric. So you can maybe imagine why I couldn't find many sleep last night.

I don´t think Nick changes too fast. It took him a while to get his priorities straight, to balance it all and to use his inner insticts. I remember reading complaints about how sassy and weak Nick was, that he wasn´t a Grimm at all, not badass enough...writers will never satisfy everybody. Also, Nick faced a lot in past year, with Juliette losing her memory and Monroe being in danger as the last thing that probably kicked him into "Grimm mode".
                    Well, I still think this change was ways too far. One ep he still was the good guy, the next he kicked into Grimm-mood and never came down again.
                    As I've said before, I like Badass!Nick but I also think it's not very healthy for him to act like he's doing now. Not for himself and not for his job. Maybe only my personal view but I don't like how Hank is watching him since the revelation.

Well, I still don't see Hank on "Team Grimm". He's too much Cop to overlook what Nick is doing, and as he's "only" human he could be also turn out as another weakness for Nick. Maybe I'm wrong, don't know, but that's my point of view.

Sig & Avi by Josi
                    sigpic

Comment

After a second viewing, I found this episode almost too busy. Poor Nick wasn't really in it. The story line also felt rushed. I wonder if it will have lots of deleted scenes. Was the mother restricting the kid's diet to try to control the Lowen?

I'm ok with the Renard/Juliet subplot, but I agree that she doesn't have enough to do. She didn't last season either. I would not mind if she left the show eventually.
                      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Hydara, I believe there is a point of Nick becoming more Grimm and less cop. I like how Hank, as an outside watcher, can see the changes. Monroe didn´t seem to notice because he didn´t really know Nick before and thinks it is normal for a Grimm - he knows Nick mostly as a Grimm. There are those hints in every second episode about "fighting the history of your ancestors" or "it is in your blood and you can´t change it". I think writers will eventually let Nick slip to a "dark side" and he will have to get back...I honestly like that idea. He is what he is and everything that happened had an impact on him. They keep sending people to kill him so he had to change. I am not sure if I make sense because I can´t find the right words. Character development maybe? I can use the "Angel" comparison again, where you could see him as a relatively good person (I am not saying human, and Nick is not an ordinary human either, we have to remember that) but when the situation asked for it, he became what he really was inside. A struggle between what he wants to be and what he really is...I think it is where the writers take Nick.

MasySyma: I think she will eventually go. Maybe if she was a reccuring character and not one of main characters, it would be different. This way, they just have to find something for her to do. I know she is a vet, she can obviously keep her cool under pressure but I am not sure how it could help without REALLY including her fully into Nick´s life. Even Hank knows like 30% of what Nick does and did and he knows Nick is a Grimm. I don´t know....I never had problem with her, she was just there to be the one who Nick had to to protect and kept his secret from but since he told Hank the truth and with this situation, when telling her would actually make sense, her presence there seems pointless and make her only a damsel in distress.

Comment

Never watched Angel, so ... sorry. But I think I know what you mean with this comparison.

Well, I think we aren't such different in our view on Nick and his changing.
                          BTW, maybe only a coincedence but ... isn't it funny that with his shorter hair they also changed the side of the part in his hair? Besides the fact that the writers are doing some kind of repeating the episodes from season 1 - well, the themes IN the eps are repeating.
                          I have to say I don't really want to say Nick slipping even more on the "dark side", he's dark enough now. it's difficult to explain why but mostly because I fear when he gets darker he will finally not only loose control but also loose all the friends he had made during season 1, surely also his job and surely his love and also his partner. I'm pretty sure, especially after watching 2.08, that Hank would be gone the moment he encounters and/or (even worster!) witnesses Nick killing a Wesen. Maybe Hank would give him a change for a sprint-start but surely he would try to arrest him. Another reason why I still don't see him on Team Grimm.

Saying that I recognize that we are almost there: with losing Juliette and becoming a more grim Grimm Nick is mostly alone now. Monroe was first together with Rosalee, now after Rosalee's gone and the death-threat Nick and he seems to take a time off their friendship. Bud we've only seen so far informing Nick about Juliette's research and I'm pretty sure, Nick's behaviour freaked him out again.
                          The only one Nick is "having" now is Hank, and Hank is also the angle that could take Nick out of his duty as a detective. And that's a scenario I really don't want to see but I fear will happen.

Sig & Avi by Josi
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok, I need a little help. I just started Grimm with season 2 so I'm a little lost as to who Adalind is? I gather from the other posts that Nick killed her Mom and somehow also took away her wesen abilities, so I can see how she'd be ticked off! How was she connected to the captain? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
                              Ok, I need a little help. I just started Grimm with season 2 so I'm a little lost as to who Adalind is? I gather from the other posts that Nick killed her Mom and somehow also took away her wesen abilities, so I can see how she'd be ticked off! How was she connected to the captain? Thank you
                              Nope, not Nick but his Mommy killed Adalinds Mother.
                              Adalind was a Hexenbiest and tried to kill Nick's Aunt, who raised him after whatever happened in Rhinebek in his childhooddays. After that attempt failed Adalind was in danger herself and Nick saved her life (accidently when you ask me, because he wanted to protect Hank).
                              What was encountered during season 1 is that Adalind and Renard had a relationship, don't know how long that lasted and why they broke up. But Adalind seemed still very deeply in love with Renard so he could use her.
                              It all started when Nick's aunt came to Portland to visit her nephew and ... well, passed away finally. She informed Nick about his inheritage as being a Grimm and gave a key to him. Renard wanted this key.
                              The key seems to be part of a well hidden device to control the world. There are six other keys out there - about we only know that they exist and that the Royals want to have them (maybe to get this device?).
                              When aunt Marie came to Portland she was followed by a Wesen (a reaper) who wanted the key. On this way Renard learned about that Nick now has it.
                              Adalind was sent out by Renard to get the key. She used a love-potion on Hank to blackmail Nick. Instead of getting the key when they met Nick killed her inner Wesen (don't ask me, I still don't it why Hexenbiests aren't completely killed off with they human forms).
                              After Adalind went back, without her Hexenbiest-powers, to her mother, Catherine (her mother) and Renard broke up with her.
                              Next we saw was that Adalind gave another potion to her cat which she brought to the clinic Juliette is working at as a vet. The cat scratched Juliette and after some time (12 hours or so) Juliette felt into a koma. Adalind herself disappeared and is now in Europe.

*sigh* I hope that was understandable. If not don't mind to ask again (and rewatch season1 could be helpful ).
                              BTW, nice sigpic! Love that scene
                              Last edited by Hyndara71; 21 October 2012, 05:51 AM.

Sig & Avi by Josi
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X