Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serenity: Post-Movie Discussion (SPOILERS)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The comics are published by Dark Horse Comics:
    http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=10-755
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

First time I was thrown off a bit when he said "where's my 30 pieces of silver", I wasn't sure if he willingly betrayed them (my sarcasm detector needed fixing). Was conflicted on if I should be glad he was dead, or pity him when he was curled up in his love-bot's lap.

Comment

I think he betrayed them because of the gun at his head. I don't think it was willing, but I think he still felt like a Judas anyway. I was sad when he died, but sadder still when the lovebot gave his pathos-laden last words. That was creepy and iccky and beautiful all at once.

Madeleine

Comment

Just saw the movie finally today. Awesome is all I can think of to describe it. Like many, though, I was very surprised and saddened by the deaths of Book and Wash. Definitely didn't see that coming. I do hope we get to see more of Serenity and her crew some day.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Yes, I FINALLY saw it and as many others was startled for the deaths of Book and Wash. I can kind of understand why Book died, although it didnt seem necessary to bring the point across, but Wash's death seemed totally meaningless...did Wheadon ever give a reason for killing off Wash in such a quick, pointless way?? Apart from the deaths of these two great characters, the movie was awesome, and I hope the show is revived or there is at least another movie or mini-series or anything. IMO it was really left open.

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
            Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
            Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
              I think he betrayed them because of the gun at his head. I don't think it was willing, but I think he still felt like a Judas anyway. I was sad when he died, but sadder still when the lovebot gave his pathos-laden last words. That was creepy and iccky and beautiful all at once.
              I figured that after some thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Frinky
                did Wheadon ever give a reason for killing off Wash in such a quick, pointless way??
                ((Frinky))

Pointless as in pointless to Wash? No, I don't think so. If I try to come up with a reason the best one I get is that there's a very visceral reaction in the audience when it happens. Everyone (who hadn't seen it already) was he-he-ing at "I am a leaf on the wind" and thenHORRORohmygoodnessdidthatREALLYHAPPEN??? The shock was incredible, and there's nothing like a massive shock to make the next few scenes feel tense.

Or pointless as in pointless to Joss? Getting rid of a perfectly good character does need a jolly good reason. I can't find the reason for killing *Wash* in that scene, although I think I find it in the shootout as they realise they're loosing and Zoe yells FALL BACK and then in the corridor with their last grenade used up and their doctor dying and three others shot and not even the doctor's medkit to hand and my heart was never wrenched so much in a film as when they were there, all looking like they'd probably die but especially Simon. IMO (and this is very much IMO) Simon's death would have been the most significant / pathos-laden of all the potential deaths, in the context of htis particular movie, and I had a real feeling that if Wash could die well so could Kaylee, so could Simon. Maybe I'd have felt like that if Wash had lived, but I was an emotional punchbag after Wash died and I feel like I felt everything that followed his death twice as hard because of that. The flipside is that when Zoe said how she was sure Mal had succeeded, and when Mal and then river turned up whole I thought it was the best most wonderful thing ever, cos I was so raw that everything felt heightened.

Sorry for rambling. I hate it that Wash died, just like I hated how Tara and Cordelia and Joyce died in Joss' TV shows, but I wouldn't change a second of those TV show deaths cos what came out of them was incredible. I'm hoping that by the time I've watched Serenity a few more times I can be similarly accepting of Book's and Wash's deaths. I'm nearly there

Madeleine

Comment

((Frinky))

Pointless as in pointless to Wash? No, I don't think so. If I try to come up with a reason the best one I get is that there's a very visceral reaction in the audience when it happens. Everyone (who hadn't seen it already) was he-he-ing at "I am a leaf on the wind" and thenHORRORohmygoodnessdidthatREALLYHAPPEN??? The shock was incredible, and there's nothing like a massive shock to make the next few scenes feel tense.

Or pointless as in pointless to Joss? Getting rid of a perfectly good character does need a jolly good reason. I can't find the reason for killing *Wash* in that scene, although I think I find it in the shootout as they realise they're loosing and Zoe yells FALL BACK and then in the corridor with their last grenade used up and their doctor dying and three others shot and not even the doctor's medkit to hand and my heart was never wrenched so much in a film as when they were there, all looking like they'd probably die but especially Simon. IMO (and this is very much IMO) Simon's death would have been the most significant / pathos-laden of all the potential deaths, in the context of htis particular movie, and I had a real feeling that if Wash could die well so could Kaylee, so could Simon. Maybe I'd have felt like that if Wash had lived, but I was an emotional punchbag after Wash died and I feel like I felt everything that followed his death twice as hard because of that. The flipside is that when Zoe said how she was sure Mal had succeeded, and when Mal and then river turned up whole I thought it was the best most wonderful thing ever, cos I was so raw that everything felt heightened.

Sorry for rambling. I hate it that Wash died, just like I hated how Tara and Cordelia and Joyce died in Joss' TV shows, but I wouldn't change a second of those TV show deaths cos what came out of them was incredible. I'm hoping that by the time I've watched Serenity a few more times I can be similarly accepting of Book's and Wash's deaths. I'm nearly there
                  I agree with your thinking. We certainly believed everyone was vunerable after Wash's death. However, knowing how it affected me, I wonder if Wash's demise affected the box office results. I keep thinking if Wash had lived, it would have been more of a HAPPY ending. More positive word of mouth...who knows, but I know I was pretty wrung out. The ending-wonderful as it was-didn't balance the grief over Wash. I needed more time or *something* to help me survived that.

All I can relate it to is Top Gun when Goose is killed. But the movie goes on long enough afterwards and has such an exciting ending you get over it.

I loved the movie. I loved the ending. My only dark spot was losing Wash. I loved his character. He seemed so *normal.*
                  Happy

Sig pic by Mala the Magnificent

Comment

((Frinky))

Yeah, that seems right to me. Even though my friends who saw it before me
                    told me Wash got killed, which angered me greatly, his sudden death was still a shock and still made the final scenes more intense...for a bit there I really thought simon would die to..esp after river talked to him...But, I really liked Wash and was sad to see him go so quickly, without any last words or anything...

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
                    Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
                    Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Comment

I finally watched Serenity last week. It's great, so sad for Book's death, but so P/Oed on Wash death.
                      THAT was so unnecessary, I know Joss Whedon isn't averse to kill the main character, but really WASH ? what's the purpose of killing him ? killing Book made Mal determined enough to go to the planet, it's understandable, but killing Wash is just a surprise tactic, which really NOT appreciated.
                      I really think that the rumours of that lower the box office, or for a fanatic fans, they don't come back for seconds, who would want to go through that again ? NOT ME, and I'm sure some people thinks the same.
                      Like Madeline said, I also 'appreciate' the death of Tara/Joyce/Cordy in the series, but this is a movie, one wrong move means no sequel. I think Joss made too big a move with killing Wash, he could make him severely wounded or in comma or something, that's reflect hope, which is what Firefly is all about. With Wash's death, decrease number of Reaver and Alliance quit hunting River, Serenity has a sort of closure even I don't expect a sequel
                      Last edited by L-JADE; 22 October 2005, 01:44 AM.
                      sigpic
                      sig.by : lilferret

Comment

Originally posted by Frinky
                        .But, I really liked Wash and was sad to see him go so quickly, without any last words or anything...
                        "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."

That to me more than anything... sums up the greatness that was Wash and Serenity...
                        sigpic
                        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by L-JADE
                          I finally watched Serenity last week. It's great, so sad for Book's death, but so P/Oed on Wash death.
                          THAT was so unnecessary, I know Joss Whedon isn't averse to kill the main character, but really WASH ? what's the purpose of killing him ? killing Book made Mal determined enough to go to the planet, it's understandable, but killing Wash is just a surprise tactic, which really NOT appreciated.
                          I think what Madeline said sums up what I think... after Wash died, I thought Simon was going to carc it too... I felt that no one was safe. That, I think is the point of his death... the notion is that NO ONE is safe. Just because they are Big Damn Heroes doesn't mean they're immune from the realities that inflict us. Heroes or not, they are still frail, mortal beings. It is supposed to be very hard to take... I was in denial (until the funeral) the first time I saw it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                            "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."

That to me more than anything... sums up the greatness that was Wash and Serenity...
                            I read those quote before I watch the movie, but in the movie somehow I heard it as : I belive in the wind, watch how I soar and then of course some nasty stake stab him in the chest

Yeah you're right, that's the best quote.. er also 'I swallowed a bug"
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                              I think what Madeline said sums up what I think... after Wash died, I thought Simon was going to carc it too... I felt that no one was safe. That, I think is the point of his death... the notion is that NO ONE is safe. Just because they are Big Damn Heroes doesn't mean they're immune from the realities that inflict us. Heroes or not, they are still frail, mortal beings. It is supposed to be very hard to take... I was in denial (until the funeral) the first time I saw it.
                              *blushes* I have some more thought added to my post.
                              But I still think that Wash death is too much, maybe Joss was being to idealistic and go with his story (which is good all the time) but IMO it hurt the movie itself, it give a closure, and I don't feel the NEED to see a sequel, it's good as it is, unlike the final eps of Firefly which made me wanting to see more, does that make sense ?
                              sigpic

Comment

That makes sense to me. it's like Whedon has thought "well I've given it enough of an ending so that if it doesn't do well then it has a bit of closure but I've also left some storylines open so that if (and when ) a new one comes I have some plot left to explore"

I too wanted to see more episodes after "Objects in Space" but this was more rounded off.

Comment

Working...
                                X