Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whedon - Toxic Work Environment

G'day,

It would seem that Joss Whedon creates toxic work environments on the shows he is involved with, going as far back as 1997's Buffy, and as recently as 2017's Justice League.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-...ctors/13144354

I find this terribly disappointing given that I've long held him as a great creator, behind a lot of tv/movies that I've found joy in the past several decades.

As someone who spent 6 years working in a toxic work environment, I have to say how brave I think the people are for speaking out.

Life is too short to accept this kind of ****. We aren't cave-men any more.

Cheers

cosmic
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

This is nothing new or something that was revealed recently.

He has been implicated as toxic before this article.
    I think James Marsters spoke out about it not so long ago... or could be 2019. Corona is messing with my time perception.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I don't know if I read anything about his toxic culture from 2017 when it was apparently also made public RE Justice League... but I think reading this from SMG really hit home:

While I am proud to have my name associated with Buffy Summers, I don't want to be forever associated with the name Joss Whedon
      It's pretty astonishing that something as good as Buffy could have come from such a toxic place. I've always said that my former boss was her business' anchor - stopping it from becoming much more, because she can't keep staff for long.
      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
      and lots more!

Comment

I think it's one of those things that certainly wasn't uncommon in the 90's and 00's when Whedon was at his height. You only need to hear some of the stories from some of the cast members of Star Trek to know how toxic the likes of Rick Berman were and these are guys who were meant to be quite forward thinking and developing shows that were empowering for women. Key thing that is worth remembering is that it doesn't change how good or well written those shows were but at the end of the day their quality and their message needs to out-live the person that created them.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Oh wow - I'd heard about Mulgrew/Ryan issues - didn't know Berman was toxic.

When I was about to graduate from film school in 2007, one of my tutors told us all to expect to encounter a lot of toxic working conditions in the film/tv industry. His explanation was that "creative types" can have people issues, but if they are good at their job, they keep getting hired...

I really hope that as a global society, we are reaching the point where that kind of crap will no longer be tolerated. In any work place. Any any relationship.
          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
            Oh wow - I'd heard about Mulgrew/Ryan issues - didn't know Berman was toxic.

When I was about to graduate from film school in 2007, one of my tutors told us all to expect to encounter a lot of toxic working conditions in the film/tv industry. His explanation was that "creative types" can have people issues, but if they are good at their job, they keep getting hired...

I really hope that as a global society, we are reaching the point where that kind of crap will no longer be tolerated. In any work place. Any any relationship.
            Yeah the main Berman story I remember is how he'd be very critical of Terry Farrell on DS9. Crappy comments on her figure and acting ability and such like.

I think it's fair to say that a lot of the time it's simply because society moves on from the crappy conditions and opinions it previously tolerated and we live in a much more public environment these days than we used to which is why back in the 90's some of the biggest stars on TV included Tim Allen or Kevin Sorbo or Dean Cain but we know them now to have some pretty messed up views.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I remember Garret Wang talking about how much he hated Rick Berman on a podcast several years ago.

Anyway, there have been several people critical of Whedon before now, but Charisma Carpenter's recent statement is probably the most detailed and comprehensive.
              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

My first inkling was when Kai Cole published an open letter detailing Joss' sexual predations during their divorce proceedings.
                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Working...
                X