No announcement yet.

Falling Skies (TNT) - News/Speculation/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah M6P is right. Come on guys, all it takes is a quick look with either Google or Wikipedia.

Four episodes in and I'm still not totally sure what to make of this series. It clearly has a solid budget, the concepts are interesting, and it feels like it's aspiring to be more--but at the same time, it doesn't really feel like it's getting there either.

I'm intrigued enough that I keep coming back because I'm actually interested in the story (though not the characters), but at the same time I'm not too concerned if I don't get to it for a day or two after it airs.

...shrug
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Yeah M6P is right. Come on guys, all it takes is a quick look with either Google or Wikipedia.

Four episodes in and I'm still not totally sure what to make of this series. It clearly has a solid budget, the concepts are interesting, and it feels like it's aspiring to be more--but at the same time, it doesn't really feel like it's getting there either.

I'm intrigued enough that I keep coming back because I'm actually interested in the story (though not the characters), but at the same time I'm not too concerned if I don't get to it for a day or two after it airs.

...shrug
      Well IO9 had a review back, said that it took a few epsiodes to click. To quote
      We've all seen tons of shows where the first couple of episodes are kind of an ungainly mess, and then the show "clicks" and starts to find its groove. And Falling Skies seems to be one of those — the opening two-hour episode is clunky and annoying, and tries to do a lot of stuff that clearly doesn't work. And then the show gets a lot better in the following episodes, and continues to improve up through episodes five and six, which are a two-parter... By the time I finished the seventh hour of Falling Skies, I was fully hooked
      You can read the full review here. http://io9.com/5798573/life-under-al...-falling-skies

Me I'm probably going to keep up with it at least till episode 5 and 6 which they say is when it starts to take off. I'll give till then too woo me.

Comment

The majority of scifi shows take a few episodes to click together, some event take an entire season, some like next generation took 2, it takes time to build a new universe, establish characters and what going on, create new races and back stories for races.

I never expect everything to click into place in the first few episodes like some people seem to and virtually all of the media out there.

Sorry my mistake about the number of episodes. Just that I read a couple of months ago that there was 13 episodes. I am sad to fine out there only 10 now .
        Last edited by knowles2; 04 July 2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, just watched ep 3 and hubby and kid have decided to give up. Too much stupid, not enough threat for them. I'll give it 2 more, but I'm not the slightest bit invested despite high hopes before it aired.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm not feeling it yet, but it's okay enough to continue watching. There's nothing particularly bad about it, it's just... well... there. So far the best thing about it is Colin Cunningham's character.

I've seen comments where some have compared this to V, but the only similarity is the invasion aspect, which happened before the show aired. So, we're left with watching these characters pick up the pieces and try to fight back against an enemy they can't communicate with yet.
            sigpic
            Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              The majority of scifi shows take a few episodes to click together, some event take an entire season, some like next generation took 2, it takes time to build a new universe, establish characters and what going on, create new races or back stories for races.

I never expect everything to click into place in the first few episodes like some people seem to and virtually all of the media out there.
              Some shows, like Game of Thrones, do click from the get go. Others need time, so I normally give a show time to develop and get better, unless it's utterly awful, which Failing Skies isn't.

I do wish the show had a better lead writer though, I hate Robert Rodat. It's quite clear for example that Noah Wyle's character, a supposed history professor, is written by someone who actually knows nothing about history.

Comment

Is there any clear reasoning as to why the skitters haven't found them? Or are they just not looking? They seem to be out in the open somewhat.

Comment

I'm still not sure about this yet. I'm a sucker for anything concerning aliens / earth invasion but it just doesn't grip me as yet. Will probably stick with it until the end of the series though.
                  My blog
                  My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                    The majority of scifi shows take a few episodes to click together, some event take an entire season, some like next generation took 2, it takes time to build a new universe, establish characters and what going on, create new races and back stories for races.

Sorry my mistake about the number of episodes. Just that I read a couple of months ago that there was 13 episodes. I am sad to fine out there only 10 now .
                    It's not about expecting a show to "click into place in the first few episodes" - it's about finding a show interesting enough to want to invest my time in. There are too few hours in a day, days in a week, weeks in a month, etc. to waste time on something that doesn't interest me.

Furthermore, having a show hook you immediately doesn't guarantee that you'll remain as interested as time goes on. I've lost count of the number of times I was drawn into to a show with just one episode only to be disappointed as I continued to watch. And, the reverse has also been true - a show that started out so-so became much more interesting as time went on.

Right now, Falling Skies is like many shows that I've watched over the years - it's okay, but not must-see TV for me. As long as it's easy to access and doesn't take up too much of my time, I'll probably continue to watch.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                      Is there any clear reasoning as to why the skitters haven't found them? Or are they just not looking? They seem to be out in the open somewhat.
                      Wasn't there a comment made that there was concern when skitters might start going after groups of 300 or so and then when they might start going after smaller groups until they start going after groups of one??

It's possible that the skitters aren't looking to hard for them, at least not yet as maybe they are more focused on gathering the scrap metal or whatever it is that they are gathering or cleaning out.
                      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

...shrug
                        I have to agree. I WANT to love this show, and I do like it.....but it is almost as if we are waiting for something.....and it's not there yet. I have high hopes that it picks up a bit and doesn't leave me utterly disappointed at the end.
                        sigpic

Comment

So far, I am liking this show. I will definitely continue to watch it.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                            So far, I am liking this show. I will definitely continue to watch it.
                            Me too! It's telling the story at a nice pace- giving you time to get to know the characters and telling the story a little bit at a time! It's keeping my interest.
                            sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

I hope to see what happened to Karen, I'm interested on that.
                              The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

Im interested in seeing what pope/poe? does next
                                Last Movie Watched
                                X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                                Life is Strange

Comment

Working...
                                X