Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suitable for a 9 year old?

What do you guys think?

Is Eureka suitable for my 9 year old to watch?

She caught a small portion of a season 4 episode while she was staying with my Brother and has asked if she can watch the rest - which I do have on DVD.

She loves Stargate (SG1 and SGA) and Dr Who - new and old. She's also partial to Harry Potter.

She also want to watch Firefly - but that's another story!
    sigpic
    Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

If she can watch Stargate, I don't see why she couldn't watch this...
    sigpic

Comment

Can I first say that I think its great you actually thought this over? Ive seen so many parents who just let their kids watch anything and everything without for a second considering what kind if implications it could have. As for the 'can she or cant she' question, I always find this a bit tricky. Wrote a paper on it when I did my developmental psychology bachelors .

In theory the Dutch rating system says Stargate for kids of 6, Dr Who is also. But Eureka for 12+, Firefly also 12+. So as far as official ratings go theres no difference between Eureka or Firefly. The Dutch rating system is far more liberal than the US one thats for sure (I have dvds saying 12+ in the Dutch version and 18+ in the US version).

But I have to say you know your child best so only you can decide if she can handle that. I believe most important is being able to talk to your child about what they see. Perhaps watch a few episodes together and see how that goes.

Good luck!
      sigpic

Me @ Livejournal, Youtube, Tumblr Deviant-art and my band: Alantia

Comment

I would say "Eureka" is mostly safe. Not too much sex, not too much violence, the stress isn't too terribly traumatic, and it's a fun show.

Really I'd be more concerned about the "Adventures in Bad Science" aspects than anything else. <G>

On the whole, my kids loved SG1 and SGA when they were that age, but there were a few individual episodes that were too intense for them, such as Teal'c being run through with a sword, then running another guy through with a sword and watching him die. And the Wraith were occasionally pretty scary.

B5 is, like TOS, 9-year-old friendly, though again there's one or two parts of one or two episodes that are too intense (Such as "Comes the Inquisitor" where Delenn is being tortured, even though we don't see anything)

Firefly? Absolutely not!
        Sincerely,

Kevin Long
        (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
        http://www.kevin-long.com

Comment

I would say it depends on the child like some one says you know your child best what do you think? As i was a child (im 18) now I started watching MA and R movies when i was about 8 NO my parents did not let me lmao but i snuck watching a lot of movies and shows and it didn't effect me one bit well atleast I dont have any issues with violence sex or any issues that i know of besides normal issues people get in society like issues with friends every now and hten but my point is movies never effected me i can handle watching anything besides kids show they just bore me lol, but yeah it really depends how you have been brining up your child and if you think they can handle it I know some kids that would find stargate scary and there like 12, so really does depend on different people.

the only film that ever did effect me was the movie hte 6th sense and that only gave me a nightmare on one night besides that nothing else really

Comment

My 9 year old loves Eureka. I do have certain episodes that she's not allowed to watch, however. But I think that the question is, how mature is she? Can she understand what's happening in the episode? I would watch it with her until I was sure she could handle it all.
            sigpic
            My Stories: FFdotNet
            My Stories AO3
            Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

I try to allow her some freedom in what she watches, but sometimes it is good to get the thoughts of others with programs that show a little later than her usual bedtime

She is generally very mature for her age as well as inquisitive - the part of the episode she saw at my Brother's led to many why what, how questions.

Akamaimom can I ask which episode are on your 'no' list? (and why?)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madness reigns View Post
                What do you guys think?

Is Eureka suitable for my 9 year old to watch?

She caught a small portion of a season 4 episode while she was staying with my Brother and has asked if she can watch the rest - which I do have on DVD.

She loves Stargate (SG1 and SGA) and Dr Who - new and old. She's also partial to Harry Potter.

She also want to watch Firefly - but that's another story!
                My son was watching the Stargates (he hasn't watched SGU yet) and Dr.Who by that age. My daughter's 7 and finds some episodes too intense so she just leaves the room and goes to the other tv. She does love the Sarah Jane adventures though. I haven't even gotten around to Eureka yet. He's almost 12 so will probably watch it with him. My husband did say recently that our son might be ready for Firefly. I gave him a look and asked him if he remembered the show clearly.
                Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

So 6 months later what did you decide and how has she handled the show? Seems like the current season has had more sexual stuff and maybe some intense stuff (evil Andy) than previous seasons.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                    So 6 months later what did you decide and how has she handled the show? Seems like the current season has had more sexual stuff and maybe some intense stuff (evil Andy) than previous seasons.
                    She has enjoyed what I have allowed her to see (she has yet to start on season 5 as I want to see where it is heading first). The whole time jump thing confused her a little, she kept going back and tried to see what they had changed for the future to be different. He current favourite characters are Jo and Vincent - she desperately wants a walk in fridge like Cafe Diem's .

As it stands at the moment she will watch it if it is on, but I think she finds the comedy a little to subtle at times and it tends to go over her head a little.
                    sigpic

Comment

What's wrong with Firefly? I have seen all but the last four episodes so far. It doesn't seem excessively violent compared to other shows of the genre (with the possible exception of the ep where they raided the hospital, those blue hand guys were creepy and lethal, and it wasn't a pleasant way to die either), they use mostly Chinese swear words and there's no nudity that I remember. Is your gripe with the fact that they show a luxury call girl in a positive light?
                      sigpic

Comment

Hey Mane Don't get me wrong, I love Firefly and it has nothing to do with the fact that they show a luxury call girl in a positive light (I personally know several people that could benefit from Inara's poise, elegance and sophistication and watching some of this so-called "reality TV" it wouldn't hurt there either!)

And while I agree with you that it is no more violent than any other show she could catch on TV (except perhaps War Stories) (and I don't particularly relish explaining the concept of the brothel that is home to the story in Heart of Gold ) It is still not a family program and was never meant to be. The story concept and humour where not aimed at pre-teens and compared to Eureka it is a very hard storyline to follow for a 9 year old who is just developing her own watching style.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X