Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eureka : Episode Discussion /Speculation

With many thanks to Ellen for the heads up on this article:

SG1/SGA are mentioned in this article on a new SciFi Channel series.

From Variety:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

Sci Fi high on 'Eureka'
    Drama neither spin-off franchise nor space opera

By DENISE MARTIN

Sci Fi Channel has greenlit 13 episodes of "Eureka," a quirky one-
    hour billed as a cross between "Northern Exposure" and "Twin Peaks."
    Drama stars Colin Ferguson ("Coupling") as a federal marshal who gets
    stranded in the small northwestern town of Eureka. He quickly
    discovers the town is composed of oddball geniuses assembled by the
    government to conduct top-secret research -- a clustering that may
    inadvertently put their lives at risk.

Andrew Cosby (UPN's "Haunted") and Jamie Paglia wrote the script and
    will exec produce the series. Production begins in January in
    Vancouver for a summer 2006 premiere. NBC Universal TV produces and
    will distribute the series.

"Eureka" is the first original series in recent Sci Fi history not
    spun off from an existing franchise. It's also the first drama to
    strike out of the space opera genre.

Exec VP of programming Mark Stern said the show will be a major part
    of ongoing efforts to broaden the cablercabler's base beyond sci-fi
    geeks.

"This is the first scripted series we've done that really reaches out
    to a new audience," Stern said. "Moving forward, we'd like to expand
    beyond space and aliens. Frankly, those are things you can get on the
    broadcast networks now."

Sci Fi last year premiered "Legend of Earthsea," a mini based in the
    fantasy genre, to tepid response. Cabler will take another swing with
    the Bryan Singer and Dean Devlin produced event skein "The Triangle,"
    about mysteries revolving around the Bermuda Triangle.

"Eureka" was one of two drama pilots in consideration for a series
    pickup (Daily Variety, Jan. 14). The other was "Painkiller Jane";
    Stern said not to count it of contention.

Project still could receive a series greenlight, but only after it's
    weighed against another pilot about to go into production. Exec was
    tightlipped on the details of the second project but said, "We're
    still focused on finding a cool superhero drama."

"Painkiller," also from NUTS, is a comicbook adaptation about a young
    woman exposed to a biochemical weapon that gives her self-healing
    powers. Production wrapped early this year.

Salli Richardson-Wittfield, Greg Germann, Joe Morton, Debrah
    Farentino, Maury Chaykin, Matt Frewer and Jordan Hinson also star
    in "Eureka." Series next year likely will be joined by new seasons of
    Sci Fi's dramas -- "Battlestar Galactica," "Stargate SG-1"
    and "Stargate Atlantis" -- which all helped the cabler climb 4% in
    the adults 18-49 demo this summer. Block will be back in January to
    finish out the season.

Sci Fi's most recent launch, the reality skein "Master Blasters," was
    shelved after the first three episodes bowed to poor ratings.

© 2005 Reed Business Information

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Looks like an interesting show. I may watch it.
    sigpic

Comment

Same here - oddball geniuses should be funny
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Qasim not insulting you but
        your really don't have a life
        eh, neither do I
        sigpic

Comment

So let me get this straight and executive from the "SCI FI channel" said "show will be a major part of ongoing efforts to broaden the cablercabler's base beyond sci-fi geeks.".... Yo way to insult your core audience Mark.

And they indicated "we'd like to expand beyond space and aliens.". Actually besides SG-1, SG-A and BSG they dont actually do that much space aliens, they do mostly crappy monsters and lots and lots and lots of vampires...

This just confirms for me that the Sci fi channel doesnt have a clue. I will give the new shows a chance, but if the sci fi guys are involved in its creation I have no doubt it will fail. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the Sci Fi channel? Its such an awesome concept with such poor execution it makes me sick.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Well, I'll check it out. If only because the pilot was filmed down the road from me.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
              So let me get this straight and executive from the "SCI FI channel" said "show will be a major part of ongoing efforts to broaden the cablercabler's base beyond sci-fi geeks.".... Yo way to insult your core audience Mark.

And they indicated "we'd like to expand beyond space and aliens.". Actually besides SG-1, SG-A and BSG they dont actually do that much space aliens, they do mostly crappy monsters and lots and lots and lots of vampires...

This just confirms for me that the Sci fi channel doesnt have a clue. I will give the new shows a chance, but if the sci fi guys are involved in its creation I have no doubt it will fail. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the Sci Fi channel? Its such an awesome concept with such poor execution it makes me sick.
              Television executives pigeonhole ALL audiences. No, SciFi executives aren't the brainest bunch out there, and once the STargate shows leave their corral for good, they'll probably lose a chunk of audience. Even though their Saturday night lame movie night ("popcorn" movies) does draw in sizeable numbers.

However, you need to see the actual quote from the scifi exec to see what he said and in what context. As you can see, the remarks weren't in quotes. But he probably used the words anyway We are nothing more than numbers to them, and they'll cater to us viewers/fans/geeks/etc. if it increases their ratings, and in tandem, their advertising revenue.

It would be interesting to see what kind of audience all their shows draw, all the demographics, etc. CSI thought they'd draw in a large male audience, but it's actually women who are their biggest audience. It's not the gore, but the mystery that draws in the female audience (and the hunky CSIs aren't bad to look at either ).

SciFi would love the male 18-25 audience because they're faster and looser with their cash than say, the 45-54 demographic.

But in retrospect, EUREKA doesn't sound like it's going to be anything TOO new from the sounds of it. Virtually all scifi- type series have "oddball" characters. Sheesh, just look at THRESHOLD.

Comment

I will watch. I usually give every new scifi/fantasy series at least 15 mins to wow me. I'm going to go with my usual low expectations however, it usually increases enjoyment unless it's absolutely horrible.

Scifi doesn't have a good track record of producing good originals, or quite frankly "original" anything. Prime example: codename Eternity which was an exercise in bad acting, bad effects, rehashed ideas, and just plain overall badness. The success of any new venture they're going to embark on will depend on them stepping out of their formula, hiring some real acting talent and making some effort to avoide cliches and bad effects.

It's a real pity they don't seem to listen to fan complaints or they don't care or don't have the brain power to make the changes needed to make something of quality. I hope Eureka is an indication they may actually be trying.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                  Scifi doesn't have a good track record of producing good originals, or quite frankly "original" anything. Prime example: codename Eternity which was an exercise in bad acting, bad effects, rehashed ideas, and just plain overall badness.
                  SciFi didn't produce Codename:Eternity.

That was a series they acquired cheaply from the UK long after it had been produced.

It was a "space filler".

It's always interesting to me how the average viewer doesn't know where some of these shows come from.

An acquisition is very different from a show developed from scratch.

Comment

Thanks for the correction. I will alter my statement to say: The show they acquired sucked. They have poor taste.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Would this show replace SG-1, if they decide not to produce season 10? Why is Sci-fi positioning this show now before they decide on SG-1?

Comment

My car and I were extras on "Eureka". 5 days in all, 3 for my car (Black '85 Merc Cougar; Look for it ).

I'm happy to hear it got picked up. However, as often seems the case they may not be filming it where they did the pilot (Vancouver Island: Glenora, Ladysmith, Nanaimo, possibly others). Downtown Eureka was shot in Ladysmith. I loved seeing all the 'brainy' redressings like "E=MC Square".

I was asked to look at the camera (a typical no-no and rarity for extras) at one point so if that shot was kept, my 15 seconds (or 2) may be at hand!

Maybe it's just me, and maybe it's just because 'Crazy Eddie' was there, but I got a strong "First Wave" vibe from the show. They had Nostradamus, we had a town populated by IQ Chart Toppers. What do you predict will happen?

Be Well,

DrNicket
                        Last edited by DrNicket; 28 October 2005, 01:02 AM.

Comment

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=34146

Debrah Farentino isn't a scientist, but she plays one on SCI FI Channel's upcoming original series Eureka—oh, wait: She really is a scientist, studying for her bachelor's degree in molecular biology at Los Angeles' Mount St. Mary's College. More ...
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm looking forward to this show (if we actually get it in Canada.....hopefully SPACE will pick it up).....the pilot was partially filmed in my neighborhood, so I'm interested. Show sounds worthy of checking out, nice and sciency.

Comment

A bit more information on Scifi's upcoming series Eureka which premiers this summer on Fridays: http://www.iesb.net/events/021506.php

“Eureka” tells the story of U.S. Marshall Jack Carter, played by Ferguson, who gets stranded in the strange town of Eureka while transporting a fugitive. He is hired on as the town's new “sheriff” when he discovers its inhabitants are really a secret community of super geniuses doing scientific research for the government. With his ex-Special Forces “deputy,” Carter is there to make sure the residents don't get out of hand and clean up the mess when they do. Ferguson describes his character as “a Job, where everything goes wrong, but he gets the job done anyway.”

In addition to Carter and his deputy, the main cast will include the government therapist assigned to keep the populace sane and Carter's love interest, a Department of Defense agent. Cosby also intends to populate the X-Files-esque show with many recurring characters, such as Henry, a jack-of-all-trades who's really a brilliant engineer (played by Joe Morton), and Max Headroom himself Matt Frewer, who fixes the nastier problems in town. According to Stokes, a lot of stars in the sci-fi community are interested in guest starring, such as cult figure Bruce Campbell and the Bionic Man himself, Lee Majors.

I've never seen Northern exposure so I can't comment on any similarities but this reminds me of X-Files meets Tremors without the worms (I hope) for some reason. Still it sounds interesting and if they avoid the cliches (creature features and plotholes you could drive a truck through) that are oft attributed to scifi, this should be worth checking out.

Comment

Working...
                              X