X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gatefan1976
    replied
    Originally posted by rushy View Post
    It's very easy to follow rules... just go with what makes the most sense.
    Having Gallifrey be accessible to time travel isn't. Besides, there's only been one set of rules about Gallifrey and that's that going back is a big no-no. Moffat's just being ignorant here. I just don't know how to explain this away. That doesn't happen a lot.
    If the Barn from Day of the Doctor is the same barn they went to in Listen, and that Barn is on Gallifrey, why did the Daleks not attempt to stop the Doctor from using the Moment. They were surrounding the entire planet............

Leave a comment:

• rushy
    replied
    By "not just any TARDIS", I presume they meant its' personality, not superpowers.

"Once upon a time, RTD was in charge of those rules, but he's gone. He's totally gone! Do you know who that leaves? Me! The rules of Doctor Who are mine and THEY WILL OBEY ME!!!!" - Steven Moffat, 2011.

In all seriousness, I liked going to Gallifrey, but I didn't like the lack of a proper explanation behind it. Being such a monumental moment, it should've been more focused.

Leave a comment:

• Spimman
    replied
    Well we know the the Doctor's TARDIS isn't just any TARDIS and "I always took you where you needed to go." so maybe this was something that the Doctor needed. Also technically Clara (who doesn't know the rules of time) was piloting via a psychic connection with the TARDIS.

Overall I thought it was an interesting move and I'm interested to see how the toy soldier plays out in the end.

Leave a comment:

• rushy
    replied
    It's very easy to follow rules... just go with what makes the most sense.
    Having Gallifrey be accessible to time travel isn't. Besides, there's only been one set of rules about Gallifrey and that's that going back is a big no-no. Moffat's just being ignorant here. I just don't know how to explain this away. That doesn't happen a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Greenee
    replied
    Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
    The timelords still have to stay relative to themselves. The Doctor for example should not have been able to travel back to his childhood, not because he can't but because it's dangerous to interact with his former self, particularly as a child who at a guess is prior to him looking into the untempered Schizm which is the first step to becoming a Timelord. It's the Timewar that he can't travel to because it is Time Locked and now trapped in a parallel dimension.... it still has holes don't get me wrong, but there are reasons around everything.
    Well he didn't know where they were going and as far as I nocticed, he didn't even find out. So you can't blame him

Gatefan1976

Re: Listen (3404/804)
    A question for the hardcore whovians

I seem to recall (very vaguely) that the Doctor once said that anyone travelling to Gallifrey ends up in Gallifreys "current present time" making it impossible to arrive there in the past.

I think it was during Tom Bakers run as the doctor. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    +
    Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    I think it was with the whole part about the Doctor becoming the president. Good to know I am not the only one who seems to recall such a thing.

Why I think it is relevant to this ep is, If we assume that Clara *did* meet a little doctor at the barn (which is a pretty logical conclusion) it means that he may not have been born on Gallifrey, but another planet in the system.
    Well, possible, but I believe it rather liklely that Moffat simply didn't recall that particular detail especialy, if it was only mention once. Anyway. I fear, since DW is such a lon runnig story now, defelopet and told by so many people in so many different media it is simply not possible anymre to follow any kind of rules without compromising otheres. It's is just too twistet. So say goodby to logic and enjoy the ride.

Leave a comment:

• rushy
    replied
    Didn't stop them in Genesis Of The Daleks or Dark Eyes.

Leave a comment:

• Blencathra
    replied
    The way I understand it is that the Time Lords won't or can't come forward as that breaks the First Law of Time.

Leave a comment:

• rushy
    replied
    The timelords still have to stay relative to themselves. The Doctor for example should not have been able to travel back to his childhood, not because he can't but because it's dangerous to interact with his former self, particularly as a child who at a guess is prior to him looking into the untempered Schizm which is the first step to becoming a Timelord. It's the Timewar that he can't travel to because it is Time Locked and now trapped in a parallel dimension.... it still has holes don't get me wrong, but there are reasons around everything.
    That explains why the Doctor hasn't gone back, but not why the Time Lords haven't come forward.

Leave a comment:

• Gatefan1976
    replied
    Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
    I don't know........... Things in Doctor Who don't have to happen in any set order......Time Travel....??????

Timey wimey Ugh.
    They have to happen in a set order for the individual however. Personal time and relative time have long been a staple of Who.

Leave a comment:

• Coco Pops
    replied
    Then why are they trying to invent time travel in The Two Doctors?

I don't know........... Things in Doctor Who don't have to happen in any set order......Time Travel....??????

Timey wimey Ugh.

Leave a comment:

• Gatefan1976
    replied
    Possible. I seem to recall something similar. However that could be a timelord regulatory thing which doesn't apply anymore now they are gone.
    I think it was with the whole part about the Doctor becoming the president. Good to know I am not the only one who seems to recall such a thing.

Why I think it is relevant to this ep is, If we assume that Clara *did* meet a little doctor at the barn (which is a pretty logical conclusion) it means that he may not have been born on Gallifrey, but another planet in the system.

Leave a comment:

• P-90_177
    replied
    Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post

I seem to recall (very vaguely) that the Doctor once said that anyone travelling to Gallifrey ends up in Gallifreys "current present time" making it impossible to arrive there in the past.

I think it was during Tom Bakers run as the doctor. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    Possible. I seem to recall something similar. However that could be a timelord regulatory thing which doesn't apply anymore now they are gone.

Leave a comment:

• Gatefan1976
    replied

Leave a comment:

• P-90_177
    replied
    Someone explain this to me: if the TARDIS can go back in time to Gallifrey, how did the Time Lords miss the universe-rebooting and time-meddling the Doctor's done since the events of The Day Of The Doctor?

The pocket universe obviously doesn't block them off from history as we saw in this very episode. And Clara is still only a human.

I don't hate Moffat for writing that story, but he's bended the rules one time too many in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• rushy
    replied
    Someone explain this to me: if the TARDIS can go back in time to Gallifrey, how did the Time Lords miss the universe-rebooting and time-meddling the Doctor's done since the events of The Day Of The Doctor?

The pocket universe obviously doesn't block them off from history as we saw in this very episode. And Clara is still only a human.

I don't hate Moffat for writing that story, but he's bended the rules one time too many in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X