No announcement yet.

Turn Left (3011/411)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(((((ROSE)))))) and a world without the doctor ...scary how much we rely on him

thanks doc ......

Comment

Originally posted by Ishay View Post
      (((((ROSE)))))) and a world without the doctor ...scary how much we rely on him

thanks doc ......

How did Rose get all that technobable knowledge? That was a bit out of character for her. hehe.

"runs to alternate universe to hide from the Rose fans"
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

i don't know but i guess being with the doctor she would have had to pick up on something ither that or shes been studying
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post

just remember to turn left
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
            i dont understand how only grandad seemed to realise what was going on, wouldnt most people notice the obvious holocaust parallel
            As is said in the commentary of Turn Left, the younger generation isn't always up-to-date on our war-time history. The stories need to be retold over and over again so that we can remember those horrible times. The three commenters (Catherine (Donna), Bernard (Wilfred) and Jacqueline (Sylvia)) agreed that hinting at the holocaust the way the episode did made us aware again of what happened 70+ years ago.

The first time that I saw Turn Left, I couldn't help the flashback of my visit to the concentration/extermination camp in Auschwitz, Poland. And the whole scene grows even more powerful when Donna runs after the truck and wants to know where they are going, the realization of the situation dawning on her.

And for the record, should anyone have to wonder, this episode in combination with The Stolen Earth and Journey's End, are the absolute favorite episodes of Doctor Who for me. (I'm a new Whovian - as in only familiar with the last 4 seasons). And Donna's definitely my favorite companion, with Tenth my favorite Doctor.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

i love this episode i love the whole what would happen if the doctor died
              sigpic

Comment

Was that military woman Rose met in this episode the same one that we see in Planet Of The Dead?

Comment

Was that military woman Rose met in this episode the same one that we see in Planet Of The Dead?
                  Yes. It is Erisa Magambo, of UNIT.
                  sigpic
                  Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

The title "Turn Left", and the ensuing issues involving a turn either to the right or the left, was not just picked at random. The entire premise of turning to the left was a political statement in which, if the alternative choice was taken (turning RIGHT), would result in dire consequences, particularly with the result of the Bush doctrine and the conservative destruction of the British economy. The month it was released, shortly afterward Barack Obama underwent a surge of popular support and resulted in his stunning win.

I have no doubt that Davies used this alliteration in both the title and the direction of the script. It should be noted that it was science fiction fans in America who started the Obama resurgence, and this episode may have pulled off the blatantly subtle "Saxon" moment to get him elected by urging everyone to "Turn Left" politically, while the Dark side insisted, "Turn Right", ie, continue the Bush / Cheney military/energy/industrial complex of planetary destruction and despair.

Comment

Why on earth would a British sci fi show be interested in American politics? Unless you have an article in which RTD specifically states it to be such? Surely if, as you say, the episode was politically motivated, then the audience was being encouraged to re-elect the Labour Party at the next British General Election.

BTW any direct references to America in the show are in an attempt to get American audiences to watch Doctor Who. I would have thought that any attempt to make a political statement to that audience may run the risk of alienating part of that audience. Something that I think RTD or SM, for that matter, would be anxious to avoid.
                      Last edited by Blencathra; 14 July 2012, 06:07 AM.

Comment

How did Rose get all that technobable knowledge? That was a bit out of character for her. hehe.
                        I had the distinct impression that we were supposed to understand that she had been in that AU for several years...working with Torchwood. She grew up and gained new learning experiences from her new career (...watching 'Torchwood' would give you an idea of what a typical day is for them).

Time passes differently for the Doctor...more non-linear.
                        sigpic
                        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Cool episode, and definitely made me hope we'll get to see Torchwood here as well. A Doctor Who episode without the Doctor...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                            I had the distinct impression that we were supposed to understand that she had been in that AU for several years...working with Torchwood. She grew up and gained new learning experiences from her new career (...watching 'Torchwood' would give you an idea of what a typical day is for them).

Time passes differently for the Doctor...more non-linear.

I've just been musing more on this episode and your post. The TARDIS was there. Did Rose understand her?

Comment

Working...
                            X