X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wraith Scientist
    replied
    I may be overanalyzing it but:

Quantum theory says that an event only happens if it is measured, so by devouring every consiousness in the vicinity of the time paradox, the Reapers ensured that the paradox couldn't have massive repercussions throughout the rest of the universe by efectively eliminating the paradox - if there's nobody there to see it then it didn't happen.

The Reapers are transdimensional, so they can't get through barrier that have been there for a long time because they can't simply 'sneak past' the through a time-frame when the barrier wasn't there. As they grew in strength, they were able to permiate further in time away from the current time-frame and so became able to cross the barrier at a time when it hadn't been built yet.

Speculation is fun

PS: Don't take any of this too seriously

Leave a comment:

• ShadowMaat
    replied
    Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
    No. They were interested in anything new. The newer the thing, the more they wanted to devour it. Hence they couldnt attack the church (at first). But when the Doc said "im the oldest thing here" he wanted to act like a shield, unfortunatly, the reapers had become so strong, that they didnt have that problem any more.
    OK, so scratch all that, then. So did they just go after people randomly, then? Why the father instead of the bride? Just because he ran?

I suppose it doesn't matter. Don't want to get too over-analytical. I'm just curious, now.

Leave a comment:

• Flyboy
    replied
    Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    I'd say the reapers were interested in older things (hence the Doctor's comment about "I'm the oldest thing here!"), but that doesn't explain why the kids in the park were taken. Unless it was a wrong place/wrong time (ha!) thing.

Does that mean Mickey was the youngest kid?
    No. They were interested in anything new. The newer the thing, the more they wanted to devour it. Hence they couldnt attack the church (at first). But when the Doc said "im the oldest thing here" he wanted to act like a shield, unfortunatly, the reapers had become so strong, that they didnt have that problem any more.

Leave a comment:

• Easter Lily
    replied
    Originally posted by creed462
    Nessia(sp) and Tegan asked the Doctor to go back and get Advrik after the ship expolded in Earth Shock
    True... good point... (Nyssa, by the way)
    But it's interesting that he assented on this occasion.
    I suppose there's Ghost Light too... not quite the same thing... but somewhat related.

Leave a comment:

• ShadowMaat
    replied
    I'd say the reapers were interested in older things (hence the Doctor's comment about "I'm the oldest thing here!"), but that doesn't explain why the kids in the park were taken. Unless it was a wrong place/wrong time (ha!) thing.

Does that mean Mickey was the youngest kid?

Leave a comment:

• northstar_08030
    replied
    I have to said that is a much more darker take on alterling timelines and one that I haven't seen before. 90% of the time, when a timeline gets altered, the world gets changed, but life still goes on, despite the fact that the world that one used to know is different. I.E. Stargate's episode "Moebius".

Also I have to said that I love the design of the Reapers, and they kind of reminds me of The Langoliers, from the Stephen King's mini-series called The Langoliers that aired in 1995.

I thought that this was funny, that the Bride to Be, scream at the sight of the Reaper and then the Reaper went for another person.

Leave a comment:

• SGalisa
    replied
    re: the episode "Father's Day"

This ep was one of the most unusual for me. It was such a departure from the standard WHO eps, even with time-looping and time travel, that my initial thought was "weird"!

But I really liked it, too!!
    Liked the thematic scythe tails on the reaper bat-like critters. CGI or whatever it was, was good too!

The initialization appearance of the Tardis lost in time/space was fascinating and nicely done, too!
    Doctor in the pulpit: "Don't touch *that* key!!"

and the Doctor being so modest for being a know-it-all... "yes, I give that impression"

So, even without the Doctor and the Time Lords (potentially) tampering with time:
    Time itself has a back-up safety feature to restore itself - if it gets discovered. And Pete realized it via the time-looping car...

Leave a comment:

• creed462
    replied
    Originally posted by Easter Lily
    Sad ending but a realistic one, I think...

When I first saw this I wondered why no companion had ever asked the Doctor to do this before.

Very interesting that this episode is being shown at around the same time as School Reunion in the UK.
    Nessia(sp) and Tegan asked the Doctor to go back and get Advrik after the ship expolded in Earth Shock

Leave a comment:

• Easter Lily
    replied
    Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
    Were you thinking that
    Spoiler:
    the flying creatures in this episode and School Reunion are the same? I had initially thought they were, and last night's episode was some kind of sequel.
    Not entirely...
    Spoiler:
    although superficially they look similar...

My comment was more about the relatively similar emotional feel of the the two episodes.

Originally posted by prion
    Yup, I've become a fan of this particular series (season?). DOn't know if I'll continue with the new doctor when this one ends. This doctor has such a great manic quality I don't think it can be duplicated.
    Chris Eccelston was great and I really didn't think he could be replaced. But I'm completely captivated by this new doctor and I think he is far more manic... While he has his detractors, the new Doctor is definitely gaining his share of fans.

Leave a comment:

• prion
    replied
    Originally posted by creed462
    Cool ep, sad ending But this seris keeps getting better.
    Yup, I've become a fan of this particular series (season?). DOn't know if I'll continue with the new doctor when this one ends. This doctor has such a great manic quality I don't think it can be duplicated.

Leave a comment:

• Missster.Freeman
    replied
    Originally posted by Easter Lily
    Very interesting that this episode is being shown at around the same time as School Reunion in the UK.
    Were you thinking that
    Spoiler:
    the flying creatures in this episode and School Reunion are the same? I had initially thought they were, and last night's episode was some kind of sequel.

Leave a comment:

• Easter Lily
    replied
    Sad ending but a realistic one, I think...

When I first saw this I wondered why no companion had ever asked the Doctor to do this before.

Leave a comment:

• creed462
    replied
    Cool ep, sad ending But this seris keeps getting better.

Leave a comment:

• DragonGate
    replied
    I just saw this tonight on Sci-Fi, and really liked it. The paradox of what would happen if the time stream is altered. The Reapers were really cool-looking and creepy. Rose's mom as bossy as ever.

Interesting paradox, of Rose coming in physical contact with her infant self, like a straight string where two points are allowed to touch that shouldn't. A really cool paradox story.

Leave a comment:

• The Signal
    replied
    Just something I thought was funny was Pete's worrying about his hair in the future. And in a little sneak preview for S2
    Spoiler:
    presumably in S2's finale when the duo go to abother reality, Pete is a success by the looks of things, with his own advertising boards and guess what
    Spoiler:
    he's bald, well, partially, down the middle, massively receeded hairline would be a better description, but still!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X