Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pilot (101-102)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Pilot (101-102)

    Visit the Episode GuideDEFIANCE - SEASON ONE
    PILOT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 101-102
    After alien survivors of a galaxy-wide war arrive on Earth, humans and aliens must build a new society together on the ruins of St. Louis. (TV Guide)

    VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>

    #2
    Quick response, there is a lot of promise...

    1.) The casting looks pretty good. Nice to see Julie Benz again.

    I think I'll like the Nolan character, however, he kind of makes me think of Colin Ferguson as Carter in "Eureka". You have a lawman with some ability but he doesn't really know the territory over which he's been put in charge.

    I'm also getting a Eureka/Thorne vibe off of the ex-mayor.

    Doc Yewll looks to be a McCoy type of "simple country doctor" with a cantankerous attitude. Hopefully the character will develop beyond this.

    Tony Curran/Jaime Murray as the Tarr's are great.

    I like Graham Greene as McCawley.

    2.) “For never was a story of more woe than this of Juliet and her Romeo.”
    ? William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

    The young lovers situation looks like it will be a bit cliche. Perhaps it will become something interesting.

    3.) It could be interesting to see what will become of the triangle of Amanda and Kenya Rosewater and Nolan.

    The power relationship between the Tarr's is very interesting. She is very capable at manipulating him to a more subtle course of action. Their bath sessions remind me "Hill Street Blues" where practically every episode seemed to end with Furillo and Davenport in bed. If something does develop from the Romeo/Juliet situation it will be because of them.

    Tommy looks to be a bit too naive for his position.

    4.) The final battle was a bit weird. Why didn't anyone use the hand weapon they captured? When Insa arrived with the Irathient cavalry my first thought was, "Holy crap, they're riding right into the path of the blast." True, they are mobile fighters and attacking in such a manner would be appropriate. This being said, they wouldn't really know the plan, so why wasn't Nolan thinking, "Holy crap, they're riding right into the path of the blast"?

    Also of interest to me, what are these guys using for fuel for their vehicles?

    regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
      Also of interest to me, what are these guys using for fuel for their vehicles?.
      Either gulanite, a mineral, or petrohol, a fuel made by processing Hellbug poop, which in turn is mostly digested gulanite.

      Comment


        #4
        I got a chance to watch this yesterday, I liked it. It definitely borrowed things from other sci-fi shows but that fine. I plan on tuning into it next week.

        I spend half the time trying to figure where I knew most of the cast from. Like the ex-mayor. I was trying to figure out why I wasn't remotely surprised that she wasn't quite trustworthy. Than I realized she was Eloise from Lost, so shes an other lol. And the lead guy was the caption of the freighter in Lost. And the current mayor was in No Ordinary Family . Great to see sci-fi actors again.

        my largest complaint is with syfy, what is with showing what is about to happen on every commercial break. I had to change the channel quickly so that I wasn't spoiled. This was quite annoying and I hope that they never do it again.
        Last edited by blueray; April 16, 2013, 05:41 AM.
        sigpic

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by blueray View Post
          my largest complaint is with syfy, what is with showing what is about to happen on every commercial break. I had to change the channel quickly so that I wasn't spoiled. This was quite annoying and I hope that they never do it again.
          I agree. It is an incentive for people to illegally download the show so they don't get spoilers during the show.

          Dumb, scifi, dumb.

          Battlestar Galactica used to run thru a bunch of clips for the upcoming episode right after the opening credits. I used to shut my eyes until the music indicated it was over. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

          Comment


            #6
            I just watched the pilot. It was way better than I expected it to be. I
            will certainly be watching it every week.
            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              I really liked the first episode. I'm looking forward to the next one.
              sigpic

              Comment


                #8
                The show has promise. If it manages to deliver on that promise then I will continue to watch.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                  Quick response, there is a lot of promise...

                  1.) The casting looks pretty good. Nice to see Julie Benz again.

                  I think I'll like the Nolan character, however, he kind of makes me think of Colin Ferguson as Carter in "Eureka". You have a lawman with some ability but he doesn't really know the territory over which he's been put in charge.

                  I'm also getting a Eureka/Thorne vibe off of the ex-mayor.

                  Exactly what my husband and I thought as we watched the show. I swear I was waiting for the Eureka theme music when that scene with the badge came on. But I also got a bit of a BSG vibe as well.

                  I enjoyed the pilot. The show has a lot of promise, but the ending ticked me off, although hopefully they will explain
                  Spoiler:
                  why the ex mayor could not look for whatever it was she is looking for while she was the mayor. She probably could have done so while she was the MAYOR. But I could be jumping the gun. I guess I just start thinking the obvious while not realiznig there could be an underlying issue.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by gatechick View Post

                    I enjoyed the pilot. The show has a lot of promise, but the ending ticked me off, although hopefully they will explain
                    Spoiler:
                    why the ex mayor could not look for whatever it was she is looking for while she was the mayor. She probably could have done so while she was the MAYOR. But I could be jumping the gun. I guess I just start thinking the obvious while not realiznig there could be an underlying issue.
                    Spoiler:
                    Unless its buried deep under the town and so they would need to trash the whole town to get to it.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Off to a very nice start IMO. I can't wait to see how things take shape with this show. I really hope it continues to do well.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

                      Comment


                        #12
                        i couldn't watch more than 15 minuttes. I stopped when they started singing

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I was not disappointed, maybe we will see some space stuff as the show progress ? I like most of the characters, sure they borrowed much from other shows and movies, but who doesn't do that anyway these days ? The music was awesome, as always. Thanks Bear McCreary ! Most of the characters seem really sympathic, which is nice for a change.

                          Anyway,it's nice to have a sci fi show on air again that involves sci fi as well and no only character drama.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                            I was not disappointed, maybe we will see some space stuff as the show progress ? I like most of the characters, sure they borrowed much from other shows and movies, but who doesn't do that anyway these days ? The music was awesome, as always. Thanks Bear McCreary ! Most of the characters seem really sympathic, which is nice for a change.

                            Anyway,it's nice to have a sci fi show on air again that involves sci fi as well and no only character drama.
                            It's not a space show. People hear "like firefly" and assume its going to be firefly.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Not impressed except for the scenic and wide shots GFX. How many stories can you milk out of this town, cause its about the town and the people in it. I dont know, im not feeling it, its missing something grandiose.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X