No announcement yet.

Pilot (101-102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it was a slow start, but got better. Jury is still out for me, I'll have to watch another ep or two to decide.
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter
    sigpic

Comment

I had low expectation before watching this series and it didn't let me down. The set up is nice and could have led to great dialogues and politics but the writing and execution is not the best. It's only the pilot. The job is to set up the universe.

I like the setting with multiple aliens and the social life there. The writing is a bit cliche and fail to bring empathy for the characters, but thus far good enough to pass the time. Somehow this series remind me of some western movies much more so that similar series like Babylon 5 or Star Trek DS9. Those 2 series seem thus far to be a superior products than Defiance, maybe because the politics is more intricate.

The set up of the series with the town and the multiple aliens species make it interesting. Once it gets its legs going, it may turns out to be very entertaining.
      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I had low expectations too, so it was pretty ok, some personal observations:

Immediately you get a BSG feel to it, same font and style on the credits...
        Music too, but no surprise who's doing it.
        The Mayor's assistant/Doctor species immediately reminded me of Odo from DS9 (looks wise).
        The Doctor immediately reminded me of the EMH from Voyager (character-wise).
        Irisa's species, LOL did the producers watch The Fifth Element or something?
        Jaime Murray's costume in the bath scene left very little to the imagination, wonder what her Dad thinks of it? (incase you don't know, he's a well know English Actor and iirc, very much against nudity or near nudity in storytelling).

Some of the scenes looked like they'd been lifted directly from the game, especially the bit where they were chasing the guy in his car - I can forgive that as long as the story doesn't fail the series.

Overall it was ok, felt very familiar, looked familiar, and seemed to take elements from just about every sci-fi series that's been aired to date and if done right it has the potential to be a good series. I've no problem with re-hashed stuff because you can always see preceding shows in new stuff, whatever the genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
          Jaime Murray's costume in the bath scene left very little to the imagination, wonder what her Dad thinks of it? (incase you don't know, he's a well know English Actor and iirc, very much against nudity or near nudity in storytelling).
          The Castithans are very liberal in regard to sex and apparently the bath is like the lounge room for them. At any rate why would her father matter? Your father could be the president of the US and you could still be a very "promiscuous" lady, do what you want. Parental love should be unconditional...well, unless your children repeatedly try to kill you....

She is telling the story of the Castithans and the Tarr's, Doing a half-ass job would just reflect poorly on her. As I said to a guy on facebook who complained about the off-color (literally) sex scene, his comments were in line with 1950's racism. Its not 1950 and people who want it to be should invent time travel and move back there.

Comment

Jaime Murray has done numerous nude scenes in Spartacus, Dexter, etc. In fact she is pretty much known for nude and sex scenes.

Comment

I liked the pilot but it's going to take me another couple of episodes to decide whether it's a "keeper" for me. I like Nolan. Like CZ, I also got a "Western" vibe. My hubby, who doesn't care a lot for Sci-Fi, actually liked this show. (said it reminded him of westerns)

Comment

Anything that she does in this show will pale in comparison to what she did in Spartacus: Gods of the Arena...

To those that didn't enjoy it, I implore you to keep watching. I'm certain it will get better. How many shows DON'T have a rocky first episode?
                Last edited by Gen. Chris; 17 April 2013, 09:23 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                  It's not a space show. People hear "like firefly" and assume its going to be firefly.
                  It is nowhere near like firefly and never said that anyway.
                  sigpic

Comment

Its the pilot. I go in expecting a show's pilot to not being the greatest. They have enmorous responsbilities of establishing the characters and stories. That is why I never stop after the pilot. I realize it takes a few episodes to get rolling. I tend to give a show 5 episodes before I give up. My pilot judged by pilot standards was pretty good. I have seen better but I have also seen worse. I would like through out the season to explore the timeline between the Vortion arrival and the present
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Its the pilot. I go in expecting a show's pilot to not being the greatest. They have enmorous responsbilities of establishing the characters and stories. That is why I never stop after the pilot. I realize it takes a few episodes to get rolling. I tend to give a show 5 episodes before I give up. My pilot judged by pilot standards was pretty good. I have seen better but I have also seen worse. I would like through out the season to explore the timeline between the Vortion arrival and the present
                      It's Votan.

Defiance is also transmedia so if your not willing to look to the game, the website, the various digital media sites for extra info, you will get gaps. Kind of like how JM revealed Stargate info on his blog, stuff that was official but you wouldn't know if you didn't look.

I recommend checking out the timeline at least: https://www.defiance.com/en/series/w...asion-timeline it gives a bit of backstory and is quite interesting.

Comment

It's Votan.

Defiance is also transmedia so if your not willing to look to the game, the website, the various digital media sites for extra info, you will get gaps. Kind of like how JM revealed Stargate info on his blog, stuff that was official but you wouldn't know if you didn't look.

I recommend checking out the timeline at least: https://www.defiance.com/en/series/w...asion-timeline it gives a bit of backstory and is quite interesting.
                        Thanks! That helps me understand a lot. I also wanted to know the backstory so I've been looking at the website.

Comment

seems kind of like a mash of Eureka, Firefly, and Terra Nova

Comment

Originally posted by boo1234 View Post
                            seems kind of like a mash of Eureka, Firefly, and Terra Nova
                            And Falling Skies.

By the way, Castithan and Irathient made this list http://www.buzzfeed.com/syfy/9-ficti...we-could-speak
                            sigpic

Comment

It's Votan.

Thats a terrible marketing stragety. You will lose a large portion of you audience not telling portions of the story because its in the game or on the website.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

I liked it. I liked it enough to buy the game, despite the MMO having mixed reviews.

It also helped that it was on sale, plus a voucher, so I got it for $33. Sorry, I forgot to post that sale here.
                                One can still get it 20% off via a voucher at greenmangaming.com (the voucher is usually in the blog page). It's a key that's redeemed at Trion's site, so all digital (i.e., no box or hardcopy).

Anyway, the show's quite interesting so far. I liked the characters, for the most part. There were a good number of cliches/predictable moments and some cheesy stuff here and there, but I didn't mind. If anything, I think it made it a bit more enjoyable.
                                Visuals-wise, it's ok. The CG could've been better. There were some frames/scenes that felt, or were actually, repeated (the forest wolf-thing's death animation, and one of those mech thingy's firing at the ridge/cliff sequence)...but that's ok.

Whatever shortcomings it has, tho', I still liked it overall (which seems to be what reviewers say about the game, too: a good number of issues, but grows on you and is enjoyable) and I'll be looking forward to future episodes.
                                Oh, and as a Farscape and Firefly fan, I guess I see some similarities, here and there, for those shows, too.
                                (I didn't get a Eureka vibe, but I can see some similarities. Haven't watched either Terra Nova or Falling Skies)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X