Caprica Season 2?,.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caprica Season 2?,.

I have just watched Season 1 ,.18 episodes !, does anybody know if theres a possibility of a 2nd Season?,.please?,.

Not happening. Show's been cancelled, sets have been destroyed.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

no it's been cancelled

Comment

sadly it's been axed.
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

it was cancelled "axed" a long time ago

Comment

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blo...-caprica-32943

oct isn't a logn time agio

Comment

This is still very upsetting for me. This show should have gotten another season to prove itself.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                This is still very upsetting for me. This show should have gotten another season to prove itself.
                and sadly the way the series ends it would have been a awesome launching point.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                  oct isn't a logn time agio
                  it is for me

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                    Officially, anyway. Rumour is that the sets had already been destroyed by then.

Besides the fact that Sci Fi/Syfy failed to support the show from the very beginning.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Besides the fact that Sci Fi/Syfy failed to support the show from the very beginning.
                      I believe that O5 on the fan excuse bingo card
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        I believe that O5 on the fan excuse bingo card
                        I like that. Lots of truth in there.

But....I do think it still applies to Caprica

To be clear, I do think the show and show-runners carry a lot of blame in Caprica's failure. Much of it was very, very slow (thank you very much Jane Espenson)--unreasonably slow, even. They spent far too much time on "I'M SAD ABOUT STUFF", and the decision to juxtapose that against the ongoing story of religious terrorism was questionable at best. They were not A- and B-stories that meshed very well and I'm surprised that nobody raised any flags that it wasn't a great idea. And then to switch so abruptly to gangster stuff, while interesting, was a bit of a 'shock to the senses' after having settled into the previous style.

They were also really bad about making stuff happen. I'm sure there'll be some people out there who'll say I'm just siding with the "people just don't get it" (O3 ) crowd on this one, but this is one that I'm very annoyed at the show-runners at (not) doing. The amount of story they told in 19 hours of television, frankly, could've been done in about 6 or 7. And there's just no excuse for that.

But to come back around to where this post started, I do feel that Sci Fi/Syfy shares in a significant amount of the blame for the show's failure. Moore and Eick wanted to start on Caprica as far back as about 2007 or so, when they were in the midst of fighting with the network over arc vs. one-off storytelling in BSG. Sci Fi was busy poo-pooing arc storytelling until the one-off episode style they insisted on in Season 3 blew up in their faces. But they were still hesitant to do anything else arc-based, so Caprica sat in development hell for many more months. They didn't give in till March '08, which was when we all started getting jazzed about it.

And then we waited. And waited. And waited and waited and waited. We heard nothing until pretty much 2009, when they finally released the pilot as a single DVD....to a franchise fanbase already burned twice by double-dipping at that point (mini/S1, S2.0/S2.5). And it was good and all, intriguing and whatnot, but it was all we got. They told us that production on a regular series would begin a few months later, but nothing else. And we got pretty much no news at all for the entire production cycle.

So the show premiered in January of this year, 8 months since most of us had already seen the pilot. They really didn't promote it very much, and the premiere was the same episode we'd already seen (which confused a great deal of casual viewers who'd caught it already). We got 10 episodes under the guidance of Jane Espenson, whom I've already complained about in this post so I'll just gloss over that here and instead point out that Syfy was just watching the ratings flounder and tank rather than be on promotion and damage control duty.

After the 10 completed, we went on the much-disliked Syfy mid-season hiatus. But the place of hiatuses (hiatii?) in serialized vs. one-off storytelling is another argument entirely so I'll pass the buck on that one. The problem with this hiatus was that we went into it having no idea how long it would be till there was resolution, before the second half of the season would start. With pretty much every other Syfy show out there, we know before a season even starts when its halves will air, but they didn't bother to tell us this for Caprica.

So months went by with nothing, and no news. And after months upon months of (im)patient waiting, they finally decided in July that the best thing to do would be to premiere the second HALF of the season a full year after the show premiered--a show already struggling with its ratings. And then unexpectedly, they reversed the decision in the second week of September and decided to resume airing in October--mere weeks from the decision. Where was the time for promotion? Rumours have also come out that it was around this time that the show's sets were destroyed, so what happened to waiting on 1.5 ratings to decide on a Season 2?

And then this disgraceful approach to 1.5 they took....I don't believe they even bothered with a 1.0 marathon before starting the second half, did they? And then airing 5 of 10 episodes before pulling it from the schedule entirely in favour of re-runs, come on. Followed by a burn-off marathon in January after cancelling it, jesus. I've never even seen that done before.

So yeah. I do absolutely believe that the show had internal problems from the very beginning and shot itself in the foot repeatedly with regards to its own continuation. But it's also very, very difficult for a show to succeed if its parent network is sabotaging it at virtually every step along the way.

Comment

Should be relaunched on a new channel or as webisodes.
                          Too good a story to be left alone.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

I wouldn't say that. For example I saw a lot of Caprica posters plastered all over NY bus stops last year in february (the girl with the juicy red apple). Of course I only really paid attention to them because by then I had learned about this new show on these forums, but that's a different story.

If anything they were too ambitious, trying to appeal and advertise to everyone when sci fi viewers are a small niche which you don't really target efficiently with roadside posters.
                            I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                              If anything they were too ambitious, trying to appeal and advertise to everyone when sci fi viewers are a small niche which you don't really target efficiently with roadside posters.
                              *insert joke about SciFi viewers usually not coming outside*
                              Mia: Don't you hate that?
                              Vincent: Hate what?
                              Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                              Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                              Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                              - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Working...
                              X