The Captain's Hand (217)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one of my favorites this season

I didn't like the new Pegasus commander when he was introduced, but by the end he really redeemed himself in my eyes. He wasn't a bad person, he was just an engineer, and a good one, but completely unqualified and unfit for command. He was, as Lee recognised, too used to working with machines.

Watching the big guns fight it out was awesome. The Battlestars seem more than a match for a Basestar 1 on 1. Basestars don't appear to have any kinetic weapons; they just seem to launch things: raiders, missiles etc. and hack enemy systems.

And the abortion thing too, I felt really slotted in nicely.

Comment

Don't forget a Mercury Class Battlestar is twice the size of a Basestar. We get a good comparison in Exodus Part 2.

Comment

Quite a good ep.

Commander Garner did make some big mistakes, but he made up for em in the end imo. Thats what you get having an Engineer in command. As Apollo said, "He was used to working with machines. Command is about people."

Lots of good action in this ep too

The whole abortion issue added that extra bit to the episode and looked at the politics.

Good Apollo and Starbuck moments in this ep, especially at the end where he says "You have a brain?". Classic stuff.

I think Lee will make a fine Commander. Makes things tough for him and Dee though being on different ships now then unless she transfers...
        Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

You know that bit in "Previously on BSG" right at the beginning of this episode when Adama tells Tigh that he has put Garner in command of the Pegasus? Was that really taken from a previous episode?
          Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

Originally posted by Catsitter View Post
            You know that bit in "Previously on BSG" right at the beginning of this episode when Adama tells Tigh that he has put Garner in command of the Pegasus? Was that really taken from a previous episode?
            Nope. Some of the eps contains pieces in the "previously" that had to be cut from previous eps. Personally I kinda like that they do that rather than contrive a full explanation in the episode itself.

Comment

Thanks, Trek Girl. I thought I hadn't seen that bit before.
              Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

this is probably one of the best eps of the series i love that lee got to take command of Pegasus during a big situation
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

lee looked scared to death when he had to take command overall really nice ep nice to finally see a pegasus centric episode.

sad to see gardner die i actually liked him

Comment

Great episode! Loved both stories.

The Pegasus - interesting to watch the leadership struggles continue on this ship. Admiral Cain left such a gaping void in her death. Bamber played Lee's reaction perfectly when he was given command; took a moment and then switched into gear... like muscle memory. Valid point also that a good department head does not a good commander make. Garner was a good man and a good engineer, he just didn't know how to command a battlestar. Lee did a good job in command; I think he deserved the promotion at the end.

Roslin - I love the way this was handled. It's such an excellent point - the liberties enjoyed in times of prosperity cannot always apply in such extreme situations. That does not make the decision easy though. MM did an amazing job of portraying Roslin's inner conflict vis-a-vis this issue (MM has said in interviews that given her own position, it was a difficult episode for her).

Nice bit of Shakespeare there too or...
                    Spoiler:
                    proto-Shakespeare
                    "You have your pound of flesh"...

Awesome bit of political grand-standing at the end there by Baltar. The scene reminded me of some of the best/most exciting scenes in The West Wing. Baltar's a political animal if ever there was one!

All in all, a brilliant episode!
                    "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
                    ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Working...
                    X