X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gravity...

How's gravity work on all the ships?

The only ship it doesn't make sense to me so far is the Raptor. Seems like it'd be too small. The civillian ships I would assume use similar technology as a Battlestar.

I love BSG because I can ignore details like this, but every once in a while I remember they are on space ships. Placement of items, moving the fighters around, handling supplies, etc, all seem to be based on the presence of earth-like gravity...

Was it ever explained in the old show?

It would be nothing but technobabble. RDM has said time and time again that he's not going to waste time explaining anything like that.
    Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton
      It would be nothing but technobabble. RDM has said time and time again that he's not going to waste time explaining anything like that.
      *bows down to Ron Moore's wiseness* Thanks the gods that's not what BSG is about.

Comment

Originally posted by CMiYC
        How's gravity work on all the ships?

The only ship it doesn't make sense to me so far is the Raptor. Seems like it'd be too small. The civillian ships I would assume use similar technology as a Battlestar.

I love BSG because I can ignore details like this, but every once in a while I remember they are on space ships. Placement of items, moving the fighters around, handling supplies, etc, all seem to be based on the presence of earth-like gravity...

Was it ever explained in the old show?
        They have big magnets on their boots

'All of this has happened before
        And all of this will happen again
        So say we all.'

Comment

Originally posted by Othere
          They have big magnets on their boots
          *gigglesnort* Hilarious! Yeah, RDM is actively avoiding technobabble, thank goodness. So no, they never really explained gravity on the big ships. I would say, just as a guess, that the Vipers probably don't bother with artificial gravity, though. Seems kinda pointless if they're going to be whirling and twirling in space getting all dizzy anyway.

Thanks to Dorka for this beautiful sig!!

Comment

Most likely a static field, probably generated somewhere in the ship that has a stabilising effect of everythin inside the ship, the only places inside the Galactica where it doesen't have an effect is inside the launch tubes for the fighters, the fighters fly on their own power are need to be launched in a gravity free enviroment to be able to fly properly, that's why they have launch tubes, the landing of the fighters is another problem entirely as you've probably seen they have some things to learn but the landing must hit up the bay floor a lot when they prepare to jump away and re-call all the fighters after a Cylon attack!?

Athough that's probably why the landing bay's on either side of the Galactica are set outise the ship, the gravity field can be changed for ships landing and taking off such as the Colonial one space ship, each ship needs to fly idealy in a gravity free enviroment, to conserve power and engine efficienty, although space is not free of all gravity to fly in a G say Earth gravity is very hard, take the saturn 5 rockets just to blast 3 men off the planet and you get the idea!
            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Yes, thankfully he learned his lesson with Trek that technobabble isn't storytelling. Frankly, I don't care and don't wanna know how the gravity works.
              sigpic
              "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
              DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Well that's what i've been thinking, you know the ship that is shaped like a ring and spins?? There is a theory that if there were people inside that ring (not inside but in the rim of the ring) then as it spins at a certain pace then there would be gravity!!
                I HATE SY-FY

Comment

^ Yeah, that's the one case where things are somewhat explained. Supposedly that was one of the very first gravity capable ships in the colonial fleet, according to the scifi.com web page at least.
                  Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Ehhh who cares? Gravity sucks anyway...it makes stuff fall...and falling sucks...like Tuna...tuna sucks too...it smells...Gravity and Tuna, two things we can do without!!

(God I wish October 6th would get here already!!)
                    Admiral Adama once had a bachelor party for Colonel Tigh. He ate the entire cake before Adama could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Comment

I agree with RDM's avoidance of technobabble. However, I wouldn't mind the occasional, "of course you're running faster, the gravity is lower in this section" comment.

Comment

I wonder do the 12 planets each have their own gravity, how does that effect the pyramid games, a ball falling at a slower speed nulls the point of the game, then again what gravity are the ships set by, are they a standard gravity or each slightly different, Galactica is the warship assosciated with Caprica so does Galactica have gravity set by that planet.

And don't even get me started on the time zones!!!!!
                        For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                          I wonder do the 12 planets each have their own gravity, how does that effect the pyramid games, a ball falling at a slower speed nulls the point of the game, then again what gravity are the ships set by, are they a standard gravity or each slightly different, Galactica is the warship assosciated with Caprica so does Galactica have gravity set by that planet.

And don't even get me started on the time zones!!!!!
                          They do each have seperate gravity. In the new book (which is awful!) it mentions Picons gravity is 25% more than Caprica.
                          Admiral Adama once had a bachelor party for Colonel Tigh. He ate the entire cake before Adama could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Comment

Working...
                          X