The Colonel Saul Tigh / Michael Hogan Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Colonel Saul Tigh / Michael Hogan Appreciation Thread

I can't see a thread like this on here already; the nearest one is "A big thumbs-up for poor old Colonel Tigh", but it looks as if it was started to discuss a particular episode or set of episodes rather than the character in general, and I would like him to have a thread without "poor old" in the title anyway! Am I the only person whose favourite character is Tigh? Surely not. So on this thread, I would welcome any discussion of the character and / or the actor, and especially any pictures.
    I have only seen the miniseries so far, but series 1 starts on Sky Three tonight so I am getting really excited! (And personally I am not worried about spoilers for series 1 or 2 as I have already read loads.) I realise that Tigh is supposedly a "supporting character" but judging by the miniseries and all I have read he is much more than that. There is so much going on with his character in the miniseries alone to have preoccupied me for most of this week!
    And Michael Hogan acts the part so well. He can convey so much with just one word ("Me?" for instance) or no words at all. So let's see if there is anybody else who agrees with me!
    Last edited by Catsitter; 25 June 2006, 12:55 AM.
    Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Saul Tigh is one hell of a character!!!!
    I love it every part of it, he makes some bad calls but hey who doesnt .

He is not a leader, still he is capable of it if he had some good influence.

Lets start with Ellen Tigh and an airlock .
    .:Humanity's Children Are Returning Home:.

Comment

I'm shocked that in the miniseries, Season 1, and Season 2, he is not billed as a part of the principal cast. If anyone deserves it, he does.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

TIgh is awsome! Despite all his mistakes and screw-ups, he really is an admirable character.

Comment

Hi there everyone. It's nice to see that there are other people who appreciate the Colonel too. I have just been watching "33" and I think he looks mighty fine unshaven! I still don't get why he is not a "main character" though. Perhaps his agent isn't up to the job?

Comment

I have been working on quotes from BSG on http://www.battlestarwiki.org, and Tigh probably as more great lines than anyone else on the show.

Comment

Wow, Gougef, that is an impressive site, and I particularly like the "Quote of the Day"!

Comment

Originally posted by gougef
                I have been working on quotes from BSG on http://www.battlestarwiki.org, and Tigh probably as more great lines than anyone else on the show.
                Just wondering if you have included either of these from the miniseries:

Adama: You did kick the table over first.
                Tigh: I did not! Unless I did.
                Adama: You did.

Adama: They'd better start having babies.
                Tigh: Is that an order?

Anyway, I think the "Radio Times" was way off in their description of Tigh in their introduction to BSG for new viewers: "Wouldn't know a good joke if it bit him on the backside", but perhaps his sense of humour is a bit too dry for them to get.
                Last edited by Catsitter; 26 June 2006, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Catsitter
                  Wow, Gougef, that is an impressive site, and I particularly like the "Quote of the Day"!
                  Go to http://www.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Quotes to look at quotes by month.

I can't talk much credit for the site. There is great group of people who put it together and maintain it.

Comment

I hate him. But that's a good thing .I don't think you're really meant to like him. So i think, in a sense, i'm appreciating Michael Hogan, an not Tigh. But still. yeah, he definitely portrays his unlikeable character very well.

Comment

I have to say, he is still my favourite character after seeing season 1 as far as "Litmus". But I can understand why some people might hate him. I have lots more to watch yet, anyway!

Comment

He's probably my favourite character on the show, and it may indeed have something to do with the "poor old" stuff. It's just a pity that he's been so underused thus far.

He's not a great leader, and for whatever reason he lets his wife treat him like dirt (hopefully he'll get over that soon as it seems that no-one likes her but Zarek), but he's fiercely loyal to Adama and does genuinely care about the ship and its crew.

There are definitely stories to come in regards Ellen and his unwavering loyalty to Adama, not to mention his constant run-ins with Starbuck (I actually support him in most of those.)

Comment

Funny this thread was bumped recently. I've been reading a book on Abharham Lincoln (US President during the Civil War) lately. The parallels of Abe and Mary (his wife) to Saul and Ellen are very strong.

While Honest Abe was trying to keep the Union together, she was making deals with politicians behind his back to help win favors. She would "whisper favors into his ear." At one point she was worried he wouldn't be re-elected and they'd have to foot the bill for the redecorating job she did in the white house. It was 2-3 times the budgetted amount. She convinced Congress to cover the cost. She really reminds me of Ellen.

Saul I think it a extremely honest man. His loyality to Bill is outstanding. My regret with his character is how in the Miniseries Billy makes a point about Saul's military planning background. He's suppose to be an excellent strategist. However many times in Season 1 and Season 2 he questions Adama's orders or actions with idea of what is going on.

Something I like about Saul's character is how he doesn't want to be in command. How many sci-fi or military-type stories have you seen where the XO was just waiting to be in-charge? Saul just wants to be by the side of his best friend.

Hogan is great. I think the actor that plays Cottle (who almost became Tigh) would have done an okay job. Hogan, though, fits the character perfectly. In "Water" his scene with Kara (and one of his best lines ever) was amazing. Hogan's physical movements (I could feel the tension of his teeth being clinched) added so much.

Anyway. I have a lot of respect for Tigh. He makes bad decisions. Not because he is an idiot but because he follows his heart. He is a simple man who follows a simple code in life.

He could use a new wife though.

Comment

I completely disagree that Tigh needs a new wife. Ellen Tigh is crucial to any understanding of the Colonel's very human flaws. Through her, we see that Saul is deeply passionate to the point of being blinded to the world around him. While he's a forceful personality, he's not all-powerful or even terribly ambitious, which I highly doubt would have come through without the presence of his overly-ambitious wife. I, for one, am extraordinarily curious as to how life has treated the Tighs during the break between seasons (how's that for avoiding spoilers, eh? ).

I heart Colonel Tigh. And I also heart all the music that accompanies him - I think Bear McCreary nailed the unspoken emotions (for an example, see "Martial Law" on the S2 soundtrack). Much much love to both Michael Hogan and Bear.
                            Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CMiYC
                              In "Water" his scene with Kara (and one of his best lines ever) was amazing. Hogan's physical movements (I could feel the tension of his teeth being clinched) added so much.
                              Do you mean the scene at the end of "Bastille Day"? The one where he says, "The difference is, my flaws are personal; yours are professional."? One of my favourite scenes. (I don't think there was a scene between the two of them in "Water")

Comment

Working...
                              X