Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 Streaming on Amazon Prime June 2018

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    No they have the movies, they are just not part of prime -you have to pay to watch them.
    "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

    Comment


      #32
      So interesting side note with this. If you have been watching and there are some commercial bumpers in these episodes as well as some damage that I don't think I've ever seen before. These are not things that I saw on the Go90 Stream so my guess is they are from different sources. Naturally Amazon digital has had B5 for digital purchase for quite sometime so I guess what they have was made with a different and older source than Go90. But I've heard that iTunes and Vudu have digital copies that are in the original 4:3 aspect ratio, Amazon does not. Anyway, the point is that it seems a bit odd that all of these digital versions seem to have some differences.

      Comment


        #33
        Amazon rewatch started
        sigpic

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by Spimman View Post
          Amazon rewatch started
          If you have seen B5 multiple times I HIGHLY recommend the Chronological Order link I posted,

          http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=45825

          I just finished Season One and you can really tell the little differences. I don't know. Maybe I have seen Season One so many times that this just seemed like a new way to watch it, but it definitely seemed like a better way to watch. I feel like little details came together better (actually I know for a fact some little details came together better because you see them come together on the screen. LOL) and I also felt that tension leveled up steadily as the season progressed very well. Unfortunately it means you have to have the list in front of you and skip around episodes, but I feel like it paid off. It also sort of put blocks of episodes together in cool ways just by moving episodes a couple spots up or back in the order.

          Anyway, if you are familiar with the show and you've seen Season One a few times give this order a try. It really clicked for me and apparently for JMS because he says this is the intended order.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by Looney View Post
            If you have seen B5 multiple times I HIGHLY recommend the Chronological Order link I posted,

            http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=45825

            I just finished Season One and you can really tell the little differences. I don't know. Maybe I have seen Season One so many times that this just seemed like a new way to watch it, but it definitely seemed like a better way to watch. I feel like little details came together better (actually I know for a fact some little details came together better because you see them come together on the screen. LOL) and I also felt that tension leveled up steadily as the season progressed very well. Unfortunately it means you have to have the list in front of you and skip around episodes, but I feel like it paid off. It also sort of put blocks of episodes together in cool ways just by moving episodes a couple spots up or back in the order.

            Anyway, if you are familiar with the show and you've seen Season One a few times give this order a try. It really clicked for me and apparently for JMS because he says this is the intended order.
            That appears to be largely similar to the spreadsheet I spent several rewatches/re-reads assembling + consulting the B5 Wikia. One or two minor differences here and there, and mine includes books and comics, but I'd say it's 99% the same, just formatted differently
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              and mine includes books and comics, but I'd say it's 99% the same, just formatted differently
              That one does included Books and Comic as well - or is that what you are saying?

              Here is an interesting article from Engadget posted over on B5TV. It helps confirm SOME of JMS' recent statements about B5.

              https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/22/.../?guccounter=1

              So there is still some hope out there for a better possible future for B5. Hopefully this will pick up steam the more people complain about how bad the show looks on Amazon. I was watching Spider in The Web, 2.6, last night and WOW were the aspect ratio issues obvious. Or was it A Distant Star, 2.4? I can't remember. I watched a few late last night and maybe it was all of them.

              Comment


                #37
                Yes that’s what I was saying - the link I posted is my own document, and that it’s vastly the same as the link you posted, only I include books and comics as well. I was enjoying the confirmation

                The dating of individual chapters is personal research/deductions, with my explanations laid out in the various separate sheets that have the red bars across the top of each.
                Last edited by DigiFluid; June 26, 2018, 06:27 AM.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  Yes that’s what I was saying - the link I posted is my own document, and that it’s vastly the same as the link you posted, only I include books and comics as well. I was enjoying the confirmation

                  The dating of individual chapters is personal research/deductions, with my explanations laid out in the various separate sheets that have the red bars across the top of each.
                  So have you been reading the releases from B5Books?

                  And do you know B5historyman? If not then I think you two should definitely converse.

                  (Every time I use that emoji I hear Judge's voice in my. )

                  So what did you think of that engadget article?

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Looney View Post
                    So have you been reading the releases from B5Books?
                    I really, really want everything they put out, especially the chronologies and scripts. It's just that they cost more than I can justify spending on them. I understand that the expense is down to their publishing being (effectively) MOD, which makes the cost to B5Books much higher before they can break even on the cost. I'm not faulting them for that. But (the encyclopedia for example) is $168 US just for the book, plus an additional $39 for shipping. Which would be a giant kick in the wallet even if I was in the US, but I'm not--and after USD/CAD conversion, that's closer to $300 than 200. And that's a lot of groceries, you know?

                    Originally posted by Looney View Post
                    And do you know B5historyman? If not then I think you two should definitely converse.
                    I'm aware of him. I've come across the name more than a few times while looking B5 stuff up, but we've never crossed paths. I've never participated much on B5 online fandom, primarily because when the fandom was at its peak during the show's run, I was still in grade school



                    Originally posted by Looney View Post
                    So what did you think of that engadget article?
                    Definitely a good read. I think it does a really great job both at explaining in detail the technical stuff I already knew, as well as elucidating other problems that I was kind of vaguely aware of but not able to effectively put into words. It's such a shame that the moment for remastering has kind of been and gone already, but when even CBS/Star Trek mostly missed the boat on that same moment, I guess there weren't good odds that B5 would happen.

                    Still, maybe some day? I'm still hoping that those various allusions to the original film being stored somewhere are true. Maybe some day when Warner comes to their senses (or has a change in management culture) and CGI is even cheaper than it is now, we might get something. Hopefully.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

                    Comment


                      #40
                      I need to reed back a bit, but I've started a re-watch on Netflix and am a few episodes into S2. My wife is also watching with me, her first time. I almost lost her in early S1, she likes sci-fi but not everything.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        #41
                        I don’t blame her. Season 1 is a bit of a hard sell for a newcomer.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          I really, really want everything they put out, especially the chronologies and scripts.
                          Yes it is pricey. I think b5historyman wrote or contributed to the Chronologies. I could be wrong, but I think I saw that somewhere. I don't have all of the books myself, but I have many, including the encyclopedia - both the books and the online access. Access to the site is much cheaper. Yes a lot of it is a rehash of info that is already out there, but not everything. Plus the high-def images and other extras are great. You should definitely look into the online edition if you don't want to go all in with the actual books. Plus the online edition has room to expand.

                          Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          primarily because when the fandom was at its peak during the show's run, I was still in grade school
                          Ah you youngsters. It was on at just the right time for me, while I was in college.

                          Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          Definitely a good read. I think it does a really great job both at explaining in detail the technical stuff I already knew, as well as elucidating other problems that I was kind of vaguely aware of but not able to effectively put into words. It's such a shame that the moment for remastering has kind of been and gone already, but when even CBS/Star Trek mostly missed the boat on that same moment, I guess there weren't good odds that B5 would happen.

                          Still, maybe some day? I'm still hoping that those various allusions to the original film being stored somewhere are true. Maybe some day when Warner comes to their senses (or has a change in management culture) and CGI is even cheaper than it is now, we might get something. Hopefully.
                          You never know. WB is now AT&T, so maybe there will be some positive changes for the B5 Universe.

                          Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          I don’t blame her. Season 1 is a bit of a hard sell for a newcomer.
                          I didn't pick up B5 until the start of Season Two, so I didn't see Season One until reruns started showing up. I love Season One more every time I see it. Unfortunately I can see why it is some times a hard sell, especially to younger audiences today. I feel one thing is very true about B5 and that is the only way for new viewers to see Season One is with guidance. If not with someone who has already seen B5 than perhaps a guide book that explains the digital effects were state of the art for Television at that time. And even little details you are seeing in Season One are going to have repercussions in Season Three. And that you have to put things into the context of the time it was being made, not from the perspective of how things are made today. And OBTW, when they are through with this series they will have seen a major contributor to why you see so many series with overall arcs, and series that claim to have overall arcs, today.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Just giving this thread a BUMP to remind everyone that Babylon 5 can be watched through Amazon Prime. I'd really like to see the numbers for this sky rocket so Amazon tells WB there is still interest in B5. SO START WATCHING!!!!!

                            Comment


                              #44
                              SOOO I haven't chimed in for awhile and I notice not many people interested in Babylon 5 lately. WELL I'm here with some BAD news. As of February 1 Babylon 5 was no longer free to watch for Prime subscribers. NOW I just confirmed that Babylon 5 is no longer available to purchase through Amazon Digital PERIOD! I owned Seasons 1-3 prior to the series being made available on Prime, but had not purchased 4 & 5. Since its departure from Prime I have been checking those prices. As of this morning they were totally gone. I contacted Amazon and they confirmed that if you don't already own the digital content for B5 you won't be able to purchase it through them.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                "We always have been here."

                                I am a member of a quite active Babylon5 fan group on FB. Most of the posts are repeated there as well (like purple vs. green, digital upgrade, how emotional the last episode or praising the character arcs of G'Kar or London. I love this scifi world, but we really need a new spin-off or TV movie. Since they have hardly given any money for the last "Lost Tales" tv film, basically JMS has given up on TNT. Shame.
                                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

                                "Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

                                "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X