X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by BlazeAngel View Post
    Just finished my annual rewatch of the entire saga... Needless to say, once again, I am absolutely gutted by the last episode "Rest in Light"! Over and over, time after time, I am in awe of the writing, the timeless words and message... Oh, I am preaching to the choir here...
    Even though this thread has been silent for several years, I needed a place to share. With each passing year I discover more and more parallels with my own life, and the emotions watching these timeless characters... Well, they are simply overwhelming... I know... it is just a story would some say... Perhaps. But it is one that speaks to me over time, and one that complete shakes up my world after every rewatch. I am just happy and eternally grateful as a fan! That's all.
    If there is not enough Babylon 5 discussion for your taste here at Gateworld I can suggest two other places,

http://jmsnews.com/forums/

http://www.b5tv.com/

Both have Babylon 5 and J. Michael Straczynski discussions. Episode discussions on B5TV has quite recently increased.

Leave a comment:

• BlazeAngel
    replied
    Just finished my annual rewatch of the entire saga... Needless to say, once again, I am absolutely gutted by the last episode "Rest in Light"! Over and over, time after time, I am in awe of the writing, the timeless words and message... Oh, I am preaching to the choir here...
    Even though this thread has been silent for several years, I needed a place to share. With each passing year I discover more and more parallels with my own life, and the emotions watching these timeless characters... Well, they are simply overwhelming... I know... it is just a story would some say... Perhaps. But it is one that speaks to me over time, and one that complete shakes up my world after every rewatch. I am just happy and eternally grateful as a fan! That's all.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by epg20 View Post
    he picks up LIVE crawdads, you can even see them move while he is at the stove cooking the pigs head.
    Yep. They really make that pigs head taste GREAT!

Leave a comment:

• epg20
    replied
    am re-watching my eps, and am on season 1 ep 4, parliament of dreams, and I noticed that if you look closely you can see that while j'kar is cooking his dinner, he picks up LIVE crawdads, you can even see them move while he is at the stove cooking the pigs head.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Speaking of good stuff, I just watched A Call To Arms (1999) last night. Definitely my 2nd favorite B5 movie, though I really dislike Evan H. Chen's score. I feel that it actually distracts from the movie at times. Other stuff that could be better is Carrie Dobro's makeup and her character, but mostly her makeup seemed inconsistent. And another complaint I would level is that Conaway should have been in it more. Zach Allen is actually a very inconsistent character for me in the B5 Universe. When he is good he is really good -see Thirdspace (1998). But sometimes I don't feel like he was written to his own character strengths. It is like sometimes they write him as being a smart guy who really knows how to do the right thing at the right time and then other times it seems like he is the opposite. I don't know, but I do know I am rambling.

I think A Call To Arms (1999) is definitely one of my top 5 Tony Todd projects as far as him showing some real acting chops. After seeing this I would have loved to see his side of the story during the Civil war. I also liked Scott MacDonald as his First Officer. He didn't really do that much, but what he did do I thought he did well. I just thought he was a great addition to the Todd character and I would have liked to see more of that play out.

I also really like this movie because it is meant to be a pilot for Crusade, but in the end it just establishes the story and a couple of characters without taking us completely into Crusade.

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Oh there is so much good stuff ahead of you ! ! !

Leave a comment:

• raduzhok
    replied
    Way after the fact... We just started watching B5 for the first time. Are on season 2. Really loving it!

Leave a comment:

• VSS
    replied
    If someone were to want to do a rewatch, I'd be happy to join in. I'm on my third rewatch, and am still in the first season- A Voice in the Wilderness. Which, of course, is a Biblical reference (That's another thing I like about B5- it concerns itself with questions of the mind, spirit and soul, not just science).

On the lighter side- love B5's Mantra: "Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova..."

Leave a comment:

• linux geek
    replied
    One thing bugging me is which Talia personality did Ironheart know when he visited b5 if he knew her before becoming the mole

Leave a comment:

• Trig
    replied
    Yeah thats one of the things that set Trek back a bit, there was always something to save the day in the last 10 minutes and everything was sorted, there was also less arc and more single episode stuff which never really appeals to me...

Leave a comment:

• linux geek
    replied
    Continuing with the rewatch just watched confessions and lamentations this alone IMO sets it apart from trek shows as the protental cure came just to late to save anyone

Star trek would have found a cure in the nick of time for a happy ending

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by Trig View Post
    Nah I dont think that a spin off would of been a good idea, I liked the fact he dropped in as and when and was a mystery, a weekly show would of gotten boring pretty quickly imho..
    Yes I can see that happening, but there was so much left open that involved his character. There was so much more to explore of the B5 Universe that we knew involved him. I am not saying he should have had his own show. If there was a movie he could have been the villain. If there was a spin-off series he could have appeared more often than he did in the series. He wouldn't have to show up every week, but more than the 12 episodes over 5 seasons in the original series. Anyway, it is all fantasy now. In my opinion Koenig's Bester will always be what Koenig made him, one of TVs first really complex villains. He does bad things, but he honestly believes he is doing them for the good of his own people. What he does is justified in his mind so he doesn't always see it as an evil act. At the same time he knows it is perceived as evil to those he is acting against. Anyway, it is a shame Koenig doesn't get more recognition for his wonderful performance when so many actors on television today are recognized for breathing life into similar characters.

Leave a comment:

• Trig
    replied
    Nah I dont think that a spin off would of been a good idea, I liked the fact he dropped in as and when and was a mystery, a weekly show would of gotten boring pretty quickly imho..

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
    Loving to hate Bester.
    Yes, truly one of the best villains ever. I don't know if it would be better if he'd been in more episodes of the series or if it is perfect the way it is. I don't mean that there should not have been more Bester, I just mean in the first 5 seasons. There definitely should have been more of him in a movie or spin-off.

Leave a comment:

• Girlbot
    replied
    I am currently re watching, and I'm in season 5 . Loving to hate Bester.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X