• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Angels Take Manhattan (3305/705)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SERIES 33
    THE ANGELS TAKE MANHATTAN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3305 (705)
    After Rory goes missing, Amy and the Doctor find an invasion of the Weeping Angels taking place in New York City -- where the Doctor must try to rewrite the future in order to save his friends.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 15 October 2012, 05:16 AM.

Well that was pretty good. I do like how the Weeping Angels have simultaneously evolved and returned to their 'zap you back in time' method of disposal, though yet more questions have been raised now.

Seriously? In the City That Never Sleeps, not one person was looking at the Statue of Liberty long enough to not notice it walk off it's plinth, wade across the bay and stomp across land (with earthquake-level footsteps, no less) and stand for actually quite some time next to a hotel? There were cars driving past! While the spectacle is great, it seems to be one of Moffat's weak points - cool stuff for the sake of it, and logic be damned. Most of the time it works because it's either just so cool or the rest of the story is superb, but lately... I don't know.

And now we have black and white Detective Noir titles... better, but nope, I just can't like the titles this series.

Poor old Rory - two thousand years as a devoted plastic Centurion, no problem. Twelfth Cyber Legion and the Headless Monks? Piece of cake. Answering Amy when she asks if she has lines under her eyes...

Rory Arthur Williams... nice reference.

I am definitely going to have to freeze frame on that plaque on a rewatch...

Whoa... so the Doctor can give regeneration energy to River as well as the other way around, and by the way River reacted he doesn't have all that much left to give. Is this a hint that Moffat is going with the twelve regeneration limit?

Did the Doctor actually just leave his TARDIS unguarded when he knows Angels are everywhere? Wasn't that precisely what they were after in Blink?

"When don't I?!"

Surprisingly touching ending, even when I knew it was coming. Overall it was a pretty decent episode. Can't wait for the Christmas special - only eighty-six days, better start getting ready!
    Last edited by Sealurk; 29 September 2012, 11:22 AM.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

That was really, really sad. I cried. Goodbye Ponds.

Comment

Yes, the mysterious plaque in the TARDIS. I'm sure I caught the word NATO and some numerals.

Now, normally I'm not one to criticize the choices of the costume designer, but - for the luvva God, ditch those round framed glasses Matt Smith was wearing.
        They make him look like Harold Lloyd.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
          Yes, the mysterious plaque in the TARDIS. I'm sure I caught the word NATO and some numerals.

Now, normally I'm not one to criticize the choices of the costume designer, but - for the luvva God, ditch those round framed glasses Matt Smith was wearing.
          They make him look like Harold Lloyd.
          I thought they were a reference to Matt Smith playing Bert Bushnell in Bert & Dickie, who if I remember correctly wore glasses exactly like those.
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
            I thought they were a reference to Matt Smith playing Bert Bushnell in Bert & Dickie, who if I remember correctly wore glasses exactly like those.
            Yeah, I know.

I'm saying that that style of frames doesn't really suit him.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

That was the best episode by far (as expected)

- 'you changed the future' 'thats marriage honey'

-
              Spoiler:
              Amy wasn't meant to die.. only Rory.. the gravestone always said Rory, it seems like she changed the future.. is that even possible??

- they did the back to the beginning with Amy like they did with Rose.. Some things never change

- I thought they were going to die by jumping off the tower.... guess I was wrong.

- It was interesting to have a detective in the story.... was his last name Malone by any chance? Is the doctors last name Malone? Also.. THEY COULD HAVE USED SHERLOCK HOLMES IN THIS STORY. There have already been many paradoxes.. why not add another one
              *rants*

- the zapping back in time thing i don't really get..i mean the concept of it. (i will rewatch though)

-
              Spoiler:
              did the angel zap amy back in time to that place where rory is?

Overall an amazing Moffaty-Timey Wimey episode.
              Will definitley rewatch.. OVER and OVER

- ALSO
              Spoiler:
              what about the last part with the doctor telling amy about her adventures.. isn't it against 'the rules'

+ telling a child their life is going to end in a certain way, ruins the story
              Last edited by iJOKE; 29 September 2012, 01:56 PM.
              Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
              - Doctor Who (series 7)
              - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
              - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
              - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
              - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

1. So that detective just got sent back in time from 1938 to hell knows when?

2. River Song as an old pulp detective - not so bad!

3. "Do not go Yowsa!"

4. I've never seen the Dr quite as gooey over River before!

5. Statue of Liberty as an Angel is a bit OTT though!

6. RIP Ponds, suppose there are worse ways to go!
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I know companions come and go, but I truly disliked it this time. So much so that I'm really not looking forward to when the series comes back.

Comment

OMG one of the few good episodes this series.... Sad to say bye bye to Amy and Rory but that was done in such a brilliant way. Loved that the gravestone changed automatically when Amy died.

A rather good send off for them I think.

But yes howcome in "the city that never sleeps" no one notices the statue of liberty moving?

Oh and since when the the Angels take over statues? I thought in the beginning they were statues.... Did they mess with canon again?
                    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

This, for me, was the first episode this season that I really enjoyed.

A good, fast paced script which would have had 8 year old me behind the sofa in no time. The Angels have become my favourite monsters and they always make me jump. I liked the bit with Rory and the matches.

The statue of liberty was a bit daft but otherwise a good episode.

Nicely done with the Ponds farewell.
                      sigpic

Comment

Is the Doctor erasing mention of himself everywhere or is that Oswin from episode 1 I wonder? Like River said in this episode everywhere she goes any mention of him is being erased?
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I feel really sorry for Rorys dad! I mean is the Doctor going to tell him what happened?

Also at the end where Amy and Rory trapped in that apartment until they die? TBH I think is was a pathetic way to go.
                          "You don't know half of it".
                          Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                          (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
                            I feel really sorry for Rorys dad! I mean is the Doctor going to tell him what happened?

Also at the end where Amy and Rory trapped in that apartment until they die? TBH I think is was a pathetic way to go.
                            The apartment was erased from time so luckly for them they wouldn't be stuck there... probably stayed and lived in New York.

On another note could of really done without the giant angel statue of liberty but other than that a awesome episode!
                            A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post

The apartment doesn't exist any more.

Amy and Rory jumping off the roof of the building created a temporal paradox that wiped out that timeline.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X