• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Defiance' (Rockne S. O'Bannon/Syfy) -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

http://airlockalpha.com/node/8427/fa...-new-show.html

'Farscape' Creator Working On New Show
    Series described as 'huge' and will be part of Syfy

Commonly considered the anti-Trek, "Farscape" was unique to say the least.

Showcasing the best of Jim Henson's creature shop, not to mention fresh talent and swoon-worthy visuals, "Farscape" challenged the stereotype of science-fiction entertainment.

And for that it paid the price.

The bizarre science-fiction series ran for four years as Syfy's signature series was cancelled, with the cable channel justifying the decision to increasing production costs. The decision of course led to an unprecedented outcry from the shows viewers, followed quickly by a campaign that led to a mini-series designed to bring some closure to the show.

Now, "Farscape's" creator (who has also contributed to ABC's "V") has a new series in the works that will bring him back to Syfy … and it has been described as "huge."

Rockne S. O'Bannon recently revealed via Twitter that he has been having meetings with the cabler and he is very excited about his new idea.

"Great meeting at Syfy yesterday," he tweeted. "New project. HUGE. New series. Very excited. Very, very excited."

No other details have been revealed on the series, however O'Bannon's tweet has already been followed-up by fan support, especially by those who have concerns over Syfy's effort to introduce more reality-based and mainstream entertainment brands.

However, the main concern now is if his series really is "huge," how will Syfy feel about renewal if the budget is on a similar scale to that of "Farscape?"
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Rockne S. O'Bannon creating new show = yay.

On syfy (*hawk spit*) = oh dear that'll last 2 seasons at the most.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post

My thoughts exactly
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        My thoughts exactly
        The fact that it's described as huge has me worried, as large projects tend to die a swift death on syfy nowadays.

Now HBO are looking to expand into the scifi and fantasy market, I'm sure the other premium channels will follow suit soon, Rockne S. O'Bannon should look there imo, any project of his will actually last and be given the budget and respect it deserves.

Comment

This. I'm already sad for this show's cancellation and it's still years away from even airing.
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
            This. I'm already sad for this show's cancellation and it's still years away from even airing.
            Apart from Fox, does anyone cancel more stuff?

Comment

Apart from Fox, does anyone cancel more stuff?
              All networks cancel stuff. Its kind of needed to see new material

I'm sure this will be frellin drad if he puts half the effort that went into Farscape.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm sure this will be frellin drad if he puts half the effort that went into Farscape.
                We can only hope. More Aussie accents, vomit and leather!
                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

Comment

Great news..except it will air on SyFy. How long will it last?
                  sigpic

Comment

We can only hope. More Aussie accents, vomit and leather!
                    And puppets?
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      And puppets?
                      Of course! MORE PUPPETS DRESSED IN LEATHER.

Comment

Yep. Two seasons tops.
                        Unless the "huge" show involves wrestling in the far future.
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Good for him. I wish him all the best, and a lot of luck. He will need it with Syfy.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Of course! MORE PUPPETS DRESSED IN LEATHER.
                            Spoiler:
                            I'm very pleased by this news. I'm very sad about Syfy? being involved. What has it come to when we have to look to other channels for sci-fi than Syfy?
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              [MG]http://farscape.madeoffail.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/oh_rygel.jpg[/IMG]
                              I'm very pleased by this news. I'm very sad about Syfy? being involved. What has it come to when we have to look to other channels for sci-fi than Syfy?
                              Every channel is not going to be good enough for people. Its one constant I see with fans. All shows got cancelled eventually and almost always fans call for the blood of the network who airs.
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X