This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who else is sick of negative threads.

Over the past couple of months there has bean a LOT of negative threads. Like:
    BB should outrank Carter. (But know one knows who Mitchell is yet)
    Who misses Sam. (That is just mean)
    And a whole lot more.

Am I the only one sick of reading about my favorite Scifi show getting ripped?

Please list other threads. I will.
    *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
    *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
    *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
    *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
    *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
    *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
    *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Threads that are made just to negative can get very annoying at times. It´s ok to discuss things and state your personal oppinion of how things are or should be, just try and keep it clean and avoid ranting.

And it would be nice if people would quote the OP from the threads they refere to (or link to them) just so that I know what they are talking about

Comment

There is a lot of threads out there that have a lot of good opinions that are negative. But they have a good point on why that is. Then there is threads that start out Negative just by the Name of the thread. That is what I am talking about. People say positive things on it, just the threads name is so negative.
      *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
      *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
      *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
      *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
      *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
      *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
      *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Everyone has the right to their opinion but negative threads tend to descend into petty arguments and nearly always go waaaaaaaay off-topic
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

I'm not happy with the state of affairs with SG1 just now, but I steer clear of Negative Threads...I stick to happy and light topics and thread.

But, I must point out...isn't this a negative thread?
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I don't want to get online and hold hands and draw hearts with stargate cast members inside.

People like to debate opinion. Plus the main function of the forum revolves around critique of a show and to be a critic you have to criticize.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
              But, I must point out...isn't this a negative thread?
              Yes and it will probably go the way of all the other negative threads
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Haha - rofl at the irony of this thread

Comment

Edited. If you've read what I wrote before this edit my opinion still stands (and is laid out clearly in my controversial signature) but since I don't want to be like the people who come into a thread and tell them they should see the light.

So, I'll just say no. I'm not tired of them. Not one bit, not one smidgen, not one iota. Not at all.
                  Last edited by Dani347; 31 July 2005, 04:51 AM.
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                    Over the past couple of months there has bean a LOT of negative threads. Like:
                    BB should outrank Carter. (But know one knows who Mitchell is yet)
                    Who misses Sam. (That is just mean)
                    And a whole lot more.

Am I the only one sick of reading about my favorite Scifi show getting ripped?

Please list other threads. I will.
                    I am a bit confused. Yes, I am sick of those that just complain, complain, complain - many times without a specific point or justfication saying the same thing over and over. However, I don't see where the thread titles you mention are overly negative. How is "Who misses Sam?" mean? It seems like a tribute to the character to me. Now the the thread may contain some mean posts (I haven't read it) but the thread title isn't.

EDIT: OK I opened this thread and the OP is basically saying that he loves the character but doesn't really miss her due to the different element Vala brings to the show. He wants to know what others think. Isn't this the reason to have a forum to begin with - to discuss what is going on with the show and what others think about it? I don't see anything wrong with that.

What I am truly sick of is opening a thread and reading posts a line or two long that basically call the show garbage. Constructive criticism is one thing (and a good thing) but there are some truly nasty posts in many threads here that I personally think should not be allowed on a "fan" site.
                    Last edited by GateTraveler; 31 July 2005, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Personally, I'm sick of all the people who feel compelled to attack those who dare to speak a less-than-positive viewpoint. Every time one starts, it gets invaded by people going, "What's wrong with you?!" and "How can you not like X?!" Often with long, pointless defenses of WHY such-and-such is so overwhelmingly brilliant that only an idiot could possibly not like it. And "idiot" is actually the friendliest term I've seen battered around.

You say you don't like to see negative threads around and obviously a few agree, but does that give anyone the right to turn an opinion into a personal attack against the opinion-holder(s)? Does that give you (generally speaking) a right to tell folks what they can and can't post? Obviously, you (personally) must think so because here you are, trying to imply that negative posts are bad and shouldn't be allowed. And you're trying to compile a list of the threads you deem as negative for what purpose? So you can barge in and convince them of the error of their ways?

Generally speaking, the negative threads are just as intelligent and coherent as the more positive ones. Possibly more so since it's only the rare troll or two who will descend into a pro thread and rage against it, whereas anything anti seems open for continual attack to the point where moderators have to police them (or at least one, specifically) closely in order to keep out the... overenthusiastic pro-POV.

If there are any threads or posts which are truly vicious and which cross the line into outright bashing, the mods will delete it. Otherwise, if the mods say it's okay and if no ACTUAL slander is being voiced, then what's the problem?

You don't like the anti threads? Fine, don't read them. But don't try and tell us we can't complain if we don't want to, especially since, as Agent Dark pointed out, you yourself are expressing a negative opinion.

Here's another thing to keep in mind: anti threads are complaints against a storyline/character on a fictional TV show. A thread like this (and all those little snipes people make in the anti threads) engenders hatred against real people. Which is worse?
                      Last edited by ShadowMaat; 31 July 2005, 06:42 AM.

Comment

My "opinion" is, if you are so anti S9, anti Browder/Black or one who can't "live without RDA" and the show just "isn't the same" for you, then its time to move on and stop watching the show. Because i doubt things are going to change from their complaining. And TPTB really doesn't care what the ranters think.

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                          There is a lot of threads out there that have a lot of good opinions that are negative. But they have a good point on why that is. Then there is threads that start out Negative just by the Name of the thread. That is what I am talking about. People say positive things on it, just the threads name is so negative.
                          Some people seem to be negative just to be negative and to try to annoy people. Some of these negative threads make me sad but thats fine, whatever you want to do, human nature is what it is. I personally grow tired of such things. If theres a good point I will read and consider, if it is just bashing or repetative complaining I will ignore and if it gets too bad I will just stop coming to the Forum altogether.

Just like the show itself. I personally love it, they have changed it a bit but I still love it, if they change it more I will watch and decide and if they change it too much I simply will stop watching.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                            .....You don't like the anti threads? Fine, don't read them. But don't try and tell us we can't complain if we don't want to, especially since, as Agent Dark pointed out, you yourself are expressing a negative opinion.

Here's another thing to keep in mind: anti threads are complaints against a storyline/character on a fictional TV show. A thread like this (and all those little snipes people make in the anti threads) engenders hatred against real people. Which is worse?
                            LOL. Exactly. It's not a very complicated issue at all. One can ususally tell negative threads by the title. If it's not to the posters/fan's liking, they should stay out of them and visit other threads. And yes, it IS a freaking television show with fictional characters and situations, fcol. No harm, no foul.

Comment

I think criticism can be a very good thing. When I read the Origins comments, for example, there are a lot of thoughtful comments, both positive and negative.

What I don't appreciate are just negative comments that are just simply mean, such as, I don't like Jonas, he should be off the show. Or they should kill pete. Any statement that just says I want the character off the show or dead is unnecessary, IMO. I don't understand the point of saying them. They are hurtful to those who like the character. People do have a right to say them though.

Comment

Working...
                              X