X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A Star Wars Story" films put on hold

Via io9:

Report: The Star Wars Story Films Are Being Put On Hold

After the disappointing box office of Solo: A Star Wars Story, a new report says Lucasfilm has put all future Star Wars Story standalone movies on hold. That means, at least for now, no Boba Fett movie, no Obi-Wan movie, and no Solo spinoffs.

io9 has contacted Disney and Lucasfilm for comment and will update if they respond.

The news comes via Collider mere days after another report that a whopping nine Star Wars movies were in development and, well, that was probably true. In addition to the Obi-Wan Kenobi and Boba Fett movies that were definitely in the works, there are the new film series’ by Rian Johnson as well as David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. Those two series are still in development and, according to the report, are likely to lead the next phase of the Star Wars saga.

Which, again, is not to say Stephen Daldry or James Mangold will never make their Star Wars Stories. They just won’t make them until Disney is ready to make another investment in them.

In the immediate future, J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: Episode IX is still coming in December 2019. After that? Maybe Star Wars takes a year off or maybe Johnson’s first movie comes out. (It’s doubtful Benioff and Weiss’ series could be out that soon considering they’ll be finishing Game of Thrones well into 2o19).

But Star Wars isn’t going away. Not by a long shot. The new Dave Filoni animated series Star Wars Resistance premieres later this year and the Jon Favreau live-action show, which is getting closer and closer to becoming a real thing. Basically, if this report is true, Star Wars is simply letting the past die and killing it, if they have to.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

This is probably the theatrical version of Disney's long established pattern of "resting" its major properties. For example, "Beauty and the Beast" is released on home media for a limited time, and then is no longer available for a number of years, and is then re-released. Builds up demand this way.

Comment

I don't mind. I only watched Rogue One because the trailers convinced me (and i don't regret it), while Solo's trailers didn't manage to convince me.

Comment

Solo & the Falcon have always been one of my favorite aspects of Star Wars, so I had to see "Solo". I rather liked it. I would have probably waited for BD for stories about Boba Fett and other minor characters, though

Comment

Probably a good call.
          sigpic

Comment

Who ASKED for a Han Solo movie?
            Iconic character, Iconic ship, but who wanted it?

I wanna know more about Boba, or IG-88, or Obi-wan simply because their backstories are blank (or blank for a time).
            In comparison, Solo is boring as all hell. He is a Smuggler with a heart of gold, cool trope.
            Good movie?
            Nah.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Solo was a really fun movie, it’s just unfortunate that nobody asked for it. And extra unfortunate that Disney’s business plan until now has been to flood the market with a new movie every year - I said that was a bad idea when they first announced it, and I still believe it now, but that doesn’t make it any less jarring for Disney to figure it out so publicly.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Who ASKED for a Han Solo movie?
                Iconic character, Iconic ship, but who wanted it?

I wanna know more about Boba, or IG-88, or Obi-wan simply because their backstories are blank (or blank for a time).
                In comparison, Solo is boring as all hell. He is a Smuggler with a heart of gold, cool trope.
                Good movie?
                Nah.
                But very cool ship. The Falcon is as much a part of Han Solo's mythos as Chewie, or even Han himself.

Comment

I liked Solo; but it would have been smarter to release Boba Fett first.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                    I liked Solo; but it would have been smarter to release Boba Fett first.
                    No, because then, Solo would have been the one that wouldn't have been made...

Comment

Woh! Woh! Woh!

I believe I said that Solo being seen as a failure was not an excuse to cancel the Obi Wan movie. It might have been on another board, but I specifically issued this command. Someone better contact Disney before Ewan McGregor gets any older.

Seriously, this if very upsetting. Personally I've never seen the attraction to Boba Fett other than the cool suit, but and Obi Wan movie with McGregor was what I've been looking forward to since I heard they were doing it so somebody better make some calls!!!!!

Actually I clicked on the link and the update says, "Lucasfilm Sources told ABC news the report was inaccurate." Okay so they did read what I said about an Obi Wan movie and they backed off.

So I guess we are all on standby.

Comment

I suppose it isn't a surprise. I don't think Star Wars is the franchise for trying to create a spin off movie every year for. Rogue One also had the benefit of being the first Star Wars story, and thus still had a little bit of a the "Star Wars is an event" feel.

But I suspect if they had released the Obi-Wan or Boba Fett or any other movie people asked for first, they might have done better. I would have probably gone to see those two examples in theaters.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I'm operating under the "saturation" theory; whichever story got made, Obi-Wan's, Boba Fetts or Solo's, or any other for that matter would have done poorly this time around as the mass market has had its fill of Star Wars for the time being. Sure, sci-fi fans like myself might go to see more of them, but that's not gonna make the money Disney expects from this franchise, so they are "resting" it to allow demand to pick up again.
                          It just worked out that the story I would have most wanted to see, that of Solo was the one that got made.

Comment

Update, via DenOfGeek:

Star Wars: Lucasfilm insists multiple films still in development

Yesterday, we reported the news that Lucasfilm was putting the brakes on its Star Wars spin-off movies, following the disappointing box office for the most recent entry, Solo: A Star Wars Story. Films affected were said to include the Boba Fett and Obi-Wan spin-off films.

Today, a slight update. ABC News got a very brief comment from Lucasfilm in its own report on the story, and sources from the company suggested that talk of future films being put on hold was “inaccurate”. Furthermore, “multiple” Star Wars films are apparently still in development, that haven’t been announced.

You could say that we sort of knew that already. Rian Johnson’s new trilogy of Star Wars films, for instance, hasn’t been officially announced. Nor the series of films being overseen by Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D B Weiss. It's announced that they're happening, but not what they are yet.

There does seem to be some course correction going on at Lucasfilm. Just what it is? Well, the secretive company is unlikely to reveal that just yet.

Comment

My own two cents {or in this case, tenth of a Imperial Credit}

I personally think the main two reasons why Solo failed to perform as hoped in the box office is due to other films released within two weaks of it {Infinity War}

One of the other reasons was people planning to boycott the film, I have seen it now four times and four different theatres, each time it felt like a new experience and well worth it

So temporaily hitting the brakes lightly to allow Episode 9 to even so much as get a title might be a good thing. Yes I know people want a Boba Fett or a Obi-Wan Story, For all we know they are said to be "dead men standing" But in reality behind those reports, for all we know, they're actually filming them as I type this {I know I could infact be wrong, and if I am right {Which I pray I am not} I will offically be a haunted Porg}

So that said, yeah, temp hitting the brakes just enough to let Episode 9 get hyped over might help. Personally I still gotta see seasons 3 and 4 of Rebels as it is!

*deposits her tenth of a Credit to the gateworld bank and shuts up*

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Working...
                              X