Building Ships In Babylon 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Ships In Babylon 5

Well the Vorlons were like energy balls, the Shadows were insectoid aliens with no real limbs so how the hell did they build ships? I know it's one of the many scifi things we don't ask because every show seems to have great aliens with fantastic ships but how the hell do they build them with no hands as such?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Well the Vorlons were like energy balls, the Shadows were insectoid aliens with no real limbs so how the hell did they build ships? I know it's one of the many scifi things we don't ask because every show seems to have great aliens with fantastic ships but how the hell do they build them with no hands as such?
    The Vorlons had some form of telokenisis. Which is how they were able to build the ships likely, being able to manipulate energy.

For the Shadows, I have no idea.

Comment

Vorlon ships were living entities. The Vorlons probably either genetically modified an existing creature or designed something and grew their ships. Vorlon transports also lived in a sort of symbiosis with the person that they were assigned to. When Kosh Naranek was killed on board Babylon 5, his ship knew of it and went off and essentially committed suicide by flying into the local star. When Kosh Ulkesh was engaged by Sheridan et. al. on the station, his ship knew of it and tried to escape.

Shadow ships are organic in nature as well, though not with the symbiotic relationship with the Shadows themselves. They did, though, use telepaths (humans in the last war) as their ship's CPUs.

While the Shadows have always been shown to work through proxies, it's not inconceivable that they always did. It's also possible that millions of years ago when the Shadows and Vorlons were "young" they were in a different form, however subtle the difference, and it afforded them the opportunity to do the hands-on work themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
        Vorlon ships were living entities. The Vorlons probably either genetically modified an existing creature or designed something and grew their ships.

The same is most likely true for the Shadows.

While the Shadows have always been shown to work through proxies, it's not conceivable that they always did. It's also possible that millions of years ago when the Shadows and Vorlons were "young" they were in a different form, however subtle the difference, and it afforded them the opportunity to do the hands-on work themselves.
        Which is a given, given what happened to the humans in the end of the last episode of season 4. That eventually we would evolve to be the new Vorlons. (a terrible thought)

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
          Which is a given, given what happened to the humans in the end of the last episode of season 4. That eventually we would evolve to be the new Vorlons. (a terrible thought)
          And that transition from human to non-corporeal entity took only 1 million years. I'd forgotten about that episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
            And that transition from human to non-corporeal entity took only 1 million years.
            hmmmmm.
            True.
            *suddenly has an itch to watch that episode again*

Comment

Someone here really likes that Emma girl Love the pics

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                Someone here really likes that Emma girl Love the pics
                Ha, you don't know the half of it.

As people have said, it's entirely possible that these ships built themselves. Requiring only minimum input by their creatirs. After all, these species are millions of years old, look at what's hapening today, humans just sit back and push buttons while robots actualy handle the stuff, so yeah.

Comment

The Shadows are able to move through space and possibly time since they're mostly invisible to us. So it figures that they're able to manipulate matter and energy in ways that are unknown to us.

I would expect that the Vorlons somehow grew their ships. Vorlons are energy-matter entities, otherwise it wouldn't have been possible to poison Kosh in The Gathering.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                    Ha, you don't know the half of it.
                    Haha, I was gonna say that

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Er, Coco... The Shadows had limbs... lots of limbs, with lots of spikes, like cockroaches.
                      Spoiler:

Just because a being has moved beyond matter in some fashion doesn't mean that it can't manipulate it. I doubt the Shadows or Vorlons physically build their current ships or other technology. When I think of organic technology, I think they've got massive [for lack of a better term] techno-organic gardens where they can grow whatever they need and manipulate its development accordingly.
                      Last edited by nx01a; 01 January 2009, 04:50 AM.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

[quote=nx01a;9486955]Er, Coco... The Shadows had limbs... lots of limbs, with lots of spikes, like cockroaches.
                        Spoiler:

Oooh I love that pick how did you do that?

And I agree the Shadows may have some other meants to build their ships since they don't look particularly dextroous with their weird spider limbs.

Actually if I may go a litte OT in my own topic how does one do a fan video like this?
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AElmp...e=channel_page

Do I need any special software or hardware as I had this ideao for a Londo Mollari video with the song "Obsession" by Animotion
                        Last edited by Coco Pops; 31 December 2008, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I think the Shadows are masters of dexterity. And I just googled 'shadows babylon 5'. Google is awesome.
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                          X