Can't wait for the Shuttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait for the Shuttle?

OK, I asume Destiny has an agenda to accomplish -a neverending agenda, it seems to be. It stops for nothnig. You can be away, it'll leave. But, having only 2 shuttles, detecting that one of them is trying to catch up, and being intelligent enough -or having been programmed to detect and fly to a star for re-fueling-, can't it wait for the shuttle? Come on, it has no sense.

Another strange point -I won't say plot hole, I hope there's an explanation- is that you have to manually land the shuttle -and remember, against "Destiny's will"- when you have the technology to fly through many galaxies detecting and dialing stargate. Can it have an autopilot for avoiding collisions? Ancients should know Destiny would be difficult to fix if broken...

I quite like the way it has been handled because, in reality, machines are phenomenally stupid. Like the shuttle's flight computer; it couldn't find an intercept solution because it was trying to fly straight to the Destiny. That doesn't mean there wasn't one, just that a computer won't take factors like potential-speed-boost-from-slingshot into account.

Likewise with the Destiny; there's no need to have programmed the autopilot to check if the shuttle is nearby because it was intended to be flown by Ancients. Ancients who would have been able to tell the Destiny to stop heading for interstellar space whilst they get back on board... They could have programmed it to do all that itself, but they never thought there'd be a situation where it would actually be necessary (just like SGA "Before I Sleep"; Atlantis was originally not programmed to surface if the shield failed because, if there were Ancients around who needed to not drown, they'd tell the city to surface themselves)

I think JM himself has stated that the Destiny has no AI, which makes sense; firstly because on the other hand an AI certainly should have slowed the Destiny to allow the shuttle to catch up, and secondly because an AI would be very un-Ancienty: a subservient consciousness, sent to roam the universe alone awaiting fellow explorers who never came? Seems more like something out the Ori playbook tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke Flipside View Post
      I quite like the way it has been handled because, in reality, machines are phenomenally stupid. Like the shuttle's flight computer; it couldn't find an intercept solution because it was trying to fly straight to the Destiny. That doesn't mean there wasn't one, just that a computer won't take factors like potential-speed-boost-from-slingshot into account.

Likewise with the Destiny; there's no need to have programmed the autopilot to check if the shuttle is nearby because it was intended to be flown by Ancients. Ancients who would have been able to tell the Destiny to stop heading for interstellar space whilst they get back on board... They could have programmed it to do all that itself, but they never thought there'd be a situation where it would actually be necessary (just like SGA "Before I Sleep"; Atlantis was originally not programmed to surface if the shield failed because, if there were Ancients around who needed to not drown, they'd tell the city to surface themselves)

I think JM himself has stated that the Destiny has no AI, which makes sense; firstly because on the other hand an AI certainly should have slowed the Destiny to allow the shuttle to catch up, and secondly because an AI would be very un-Ancienty: a subservient consciousness, sent to roam the universe alone awaiting fellow explorers who never came? Seems more like something out the Ori playbook tbh.
      Exactly. Computers are phenomenally stupid somet-
      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Doesn't mean there shouldn't be a set of protocols. It knows enough to activate lights and forcefields for life, and to lock out stargate addresses to avoid exposing people to dangers.

Comment

The Destiny saw a candy bar it wanted really bad so it didn't have time to stop, only an Ancient ship has the power to do that!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
            The Destiny saw a candy bar it wanted really bad so it didn't have time to stop, only an Ancient ship has the power to do that!
            It must have had some seriously delicious dark chocolate and peanut butter in that candy bar.
            sigpic

Comment

If the shuttle was never intended to launch while the ship was in an automated mode, maybe there is no protocol to tell the ship that a shuttle launched. Maybe, due to damage, the ship signal wasn't sent to the computer. Keep in mind though, the ship is doing it's own thing. It wouldn't have stopped for the life support if Rush hadn't told the ship that the the life support was broken. Perhaps the ship needed to be told that the shuttle was launched .
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

The Destiny needs one of these, as a liaison between the humans and the ship:

Comment

Originally posted by faregran View Post
                  OK, I asume Destiny has an agenda to accomplish -a neverending agenda, it seems to be. It stops for nothnig. You can be away, it'll leave. But, having only 2 shuttles, detecting that one of them is trying to catch up, and being intelligent enough -or having been programmed to detect and fly to a star for re-fueling-, can't it wait for the shuttle? Come on, it has no sense.
                  It's likely that Destiny may not have the capacity to alter it's default programming until the controls are unlocked. AI does have it's limitations and considering it's primary mission, Destiny may simply have considered the loss of the shuttle as an acceptible loss?!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                  : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Four possible explanations:
                    1. Well it could be that the shuttle also wasn't with its full power since it took of before the destiny recharged its batteries.
                    2. And/or some malfunction happened and the destiny did not count for the missing shuttle and accelerated
                    3. And/or didn't knew the shuttle was whit low power and could not keep up
                    4. And/or Scott didn't knew how to operate it at 100% efficiency
                    sigpic
                    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

The shuttle does have an afterburner button.

And an "auto dock" button.

No one labelled them....

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                        The Destiny needs one of these, as a liaison between the humans and the ship:

I could use one of those, sir.

Comment

Air, Part 3 - Destiny waits for away team because Eli stuck his arm into the Stargate's event horizon.

Light - Destiny detects shuttle with 17 people on board attempting to make its way back, and yet it doesn't stop/slow down.

Are 17 lives + a shuttle less worthy than Mr. Wallace's arm?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                            Air, Part 3 - Destiny waits for away team because Eli stuck his arm into the Stargate's event horizon.

Light - Destiny detects shuttle with 17 people on board attempting to make its way back, and yet it doesn't stop/slow down.

Are 17 lives + a shuttle less worthy than Mr. Wallace's arm?
                            Destiny didn't wait for the away team. Destiny waited for the gate to close before it jumped to FTL.
                            Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                              Destiny didn't wait for the away team. Destiny waited for the gate to close before it jumped to FTL.
                              And why was that?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X